• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

VPN

Started by Inglorious Bitch, December 09, 2016, 10:55:14 AM

I noticed a link to a VPN at the top of the BG home page. What is that again? Is it like another internet? Can I use that instead of the internet? Is it used to replace Skype?

Quote from: Juan on December 09, 2016, 10:58:01 AM
Click it
I did. It looks like something I may want to buy, but do I need it? I am not even sure what VPN is.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Inglorious Bitch on December 09, 2016, 10:55:14 AM
I noticed a link to a VPN at the top of the BG home page. What is that again? Is it like another internet? Can I use that instead of the internet? Is it used to replace Skype?

It's like VPL, now go back to painting your nails.

SredniVashtar

Whenever I click on it I get an alert telling me that this site might implant tiny cameras in my ethernet cable and send (Senda?) nude pictures of me to the dark web.

MV. I've heard he doesn't even cast a shadow.

It's cool MV is pimping NORD. They're among the best VPN providers out there.

I'm not a technological expert like a lot of the folks on here. But essentially a VPN is a digital tunnel that directs all your web traffic through it while encrypting it, so it makes you much harder to hack into. You also can bounce around on a VPN all across the globe so your web traffic comes from a different country. This is handy if you use Netflix or other region specific services. The good thing about NORD is their servers are in Panama and do not log any traffic, so it helps safeguard you against government intrusion which is a thing now. Especially in the UK and Canada.

That's my pleb understanding and explanation.

GravitySucks

Think of it as a cross between a Star Trek Transporter beaming you into the Holodeck.

starrmtn001

Quote from: GravitySucks on December 09, 2016, 11:57:13 AM
Think of it as a cross between a Star Trek Transporter beaming you into the Holodeck.
Thank you very much, Gravity.  Now, that, I can understand. ;) ;D

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: VoteQuimby on December 09, 2016, 11:45:12 AM

I'm not a technological expert like a lot of the folks on here. But essentially a VPN is a digital tunnel that directs all your web traffic through it while encrypting it, so it makes you much harder to hack into. You also can bounce around on a VPN all across the globe so your web traffic comes from a different country. This is handy if you use Netflix or other region specific services. The good thing about NORD is their servers are in Panama and do not log any traffic, so it helps safeguard you against government intrusion which is a thing now. Especially in the UK and Canada.

That's my pleb understanding and explanation.

good explanation. 

and for anyone interested, the two primary benefits to using a VPN are IP address obscurity and encryption.  that means when you visit a website, the website is unable to log or know your actual ip address which prevents you from being identified.  the encryption side of things hides your activity from your internet service provider or from a snooping creep sharing the same public wifi connection (starbucks or hotel).  nord is a cut above many other VPN providers because they don't log traffic, which means there's nothing to subpoena if the government wanted to know more about you.  in addition to secure and anonymous browsing, this is a great way to download movies/music/software/whatever from file sharing services without detection or problems with your ISP or the RIAA.

click here.

This is a sweet service. Glad you chose NORD to affiliate with. With Rule 41 now in effect, everyone should at least look into this.
They also run their own DNS. 

All Hail "SAGE" MV  :)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: /dev/null on December 09, 2016, 01:49:16 PM
They also run their own DNS. 

indeed they do, and that's an often forgotten component of VPN anonymity.  by the way... nord also has amazing iphone/android apps so you can direct all of your mobile traffic through their VPN.

All Hail "SAGE" MV  :)

http://searchenterprisewan.techtarget.com/definition/virtual-private-network

Quote from: MV® Millennium Edition on December 09, 2016, 01:51:46 PM
indeed they do, and that's an often forgotten component of VPN anonymity.  by the way... nord also has amazing iphone/android apps so you can direct all of your mobile traffic through their VPN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znv_sUPaKfE

I'm just imagining this playing in the background.
;)     ;D

MV/Liberace!

and by the way, i've been using this VPN for about three months now.  i have found nothing to complain about.  my home internet connection tops out at 64Mbps, and nord is able to eat every bit of that bandwidth when connected through a US server.

JesusJuice

Quote from: MV® Millennium Edition on December 09, 2016, 12:06:14 PM
good explanation. 

and for anyone interested, the two primary benefits to using a VPN are IP address obscurity and encryption.  that means when you visit a website, the website is unable to log or know your actual ip address which prevents you from being identified.  the encryption side of things hides your activity from your internet service provider or from a snooping creep sharing the same public wifi connection (starbucks or hotel).  nord is a cut above many other VPN providers because they don't log traffic, which means there's nothing to subpoena if the government wanted to know more about you.  in addition to secure and anonymous browsing, this is a great way to download movies/music/software/whatever from file sharing services without detection or problems with your ISP or the RIAA.

Also if you get ip banned from a certain message board, you can then use a VPN to create a new account and continue posting without interruption.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: deleted on December 09, 2016, 04:54:53 PM

Also if you get ip banned from a certain message board, you can then use a VPN to create a new account and continue posting without interruption.

Shhhh!

Quote from: MV® Millennium Edition on December 09, 2016, 12:06:14 PM
good explanation. 

click here.

i've been using NORD since September of this year. i had asked MV about VPN's and he recommended NORD. it is very inexpensive so i subscribed for 12 months. it has gobs of servers for what ever your privacy needs. one of the most surprising things i found was the high speed of torrenting on the various p2p servers. the program kill switch has worked every time and immediately closed my torrenting app when the VPN lost connection.

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on September 16, 2016, 05:09:03 PM
I purchased the NordVPN service ($48 bucks for a year...thank you very much). WOW.. it was up and working before I could check if it was up and working. The only adjustment I had to make was in my Firefox browser config file. Every test check that was recommended... passed.

Purdy cool MV.

"Praise MV"â,,¢     (â,,¢ because i invented the phrase..... pay me!)  8)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on December 09, 2016, 11:07:15 PM
i've been using NORD since September of this year. i had asked MV about VPN's and he recommended NORD. it is very inexpensive so i subscribed for 12 months. it has gobs of servers for what ever your privacy needs. one of the most surprising things i found was the high speed of torrenting on the various p2p servers. the program kill switch has worked every time and immediately closed my torrenting app when the VPN lost connection.

Link here.

"Praise MV"â,,¢     (â,,¢ because i invented the phrase..... pay me!)  8)

that's a pretty heavy claim, sir.

Quote from: MV® Millennium Edition on December 10, 2016, 02:28:55 AM
Link here.

that's a pretty heavy claim, sir.

indeed....

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on June 24, 2015, 06:35:21 PM
ONE:   There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man’s fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call ... The BellGab Zone.

TWO:   It's designed to make MV..... (all praise to the MV. may he always be rant ready. may he ever present us with avatars of deep disturbance. all praise to the MV.)..... money.

THREE:   It's internet crack.

although.... i could be wrong.  8)

Lilith

Has anyone tried Opera Browser lately?  I've been using it for a while now, and I like it a lot. It has a free built-in VPN that you can enable in privacy settings. You can just toggle it on and of in the privacy settings.

Try it, you might like it.  :-*

You're Welcome!  :D

Ciardelo

Quote from: brig on January 02, 2017, 07:39:22 PM
Has anyone tried Opera Browser lately?  I've been using it for a while now, and I like it a lot. It has a free built-in VPN that you can enable in privacy settings. You can just toggle it on and of in the privacy settings.

Try it, you might like it.  :-*

You're Welcome!  :D
Thanks brig! I probably will, it's been years since I used Opera. I think they were the first to introduce tabbed browsing no?

Lilith

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 02, 2017, 08:41:24 PM
Thanks brig! I probably will, it's been years since I used Opera. I think they were the first to introduce tabbed browsing no?

Ciardelo, I tried Opera over and over over the years. (was that too many overs)?  But I would always have something or other that didn't work.  So far I have found nothing that doesn't work. Post back if you try it.  I will definitely come back and post if I run across an issue.

As for tabbed browsing, see here:

https://allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/opera-did-not-invent-tabbed-browsing/    :-*

Ciardelo

Quote from: brig on January 02, 2017, 08:48:05 PM
Ciardelo, I tried Opera over and over over the years. (was that too many overs)?  But I would always have something or other that didn't work.  So far I have found nothing that doesn't work. Post back if you try it.  I will definitely come back and post if I run across an issue.

As for tabbed browsing, see here:

https://allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/opera-did-not-invent-tabbed-browsing/    :-*
OK, multiple windows then.  :P I never thought you were such a tab nazi.  >:(

Love ya brig! j/k lol  :-*

FRIENDSHIP

Lilith

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 02, 2017, 09:05:15 PM
OK, multiple windows then.  :P I never thought you were such a tab nazi.  >:(

Love ya brig! j/k lol  :-*

FRIENDSHIP

When you download Opera, the VPN is not on by default, you have to go into the privacy settings and toggle it on.  :-* :D

FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!!!!!

WOTR

Quote from: Σ> on December 09, 2016, 01:51:46 PM

When my subscription expires I will look into it.  One of the major things that should be mentioned when it comes to VPN's- you have to trust them as they can log everything.  Most will not, but there were some issues with larger, popular ones (hidemyass?)

Right now, I use airvpn as I actually trust them.  However, they are not the most user friendly VPN out there.  In another 9 months when it comes time to pay again, I will take the time to compare it to this one as I actually trust that Σ> has the knowledge to recommend a good company.

In short- if you are reading this and do not know what a VPN is, you need it.  Sign up and use it as anything is better than nothing.

Papa Lazarou

Quote from: VoteQuimby on December 09, 2016, 11:45:12 AM

I got slightly paranoid when I clicked on that link and it led to NordVPN's site, since that's what I'm using. But I guess this explains it.   :D

Kidnostad3

Just started NORD/VPN 3-day free trial.  So far so good.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Σ> on December 09, 2016, 01:51:46 PM

This last part I didn't know. I have been using Nord for a couple of months now, as it happens. When you say they have their own DNS, do you mean that with the Nord app on my PC, I am bypassing my ISP's own DNS altogether, and connecting to the internet entirely through Nord's DNS?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Caruthers612 on January 30, 2017, 05:46:16 PM
     This last part I didn't know. I have been using Nord for a couple of months now, as it happens. When you say they have their own DNS, do you mean that with the Nord app on my PC, I am bypassing my ISP's own DNS altogether, and connecting to the internet entirely through Nord's DNS?

that's right.