• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150904 - Madman Marcum - Time Travel - Live Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, September 04, 2015, 10:01:43 PM

Rix Gins

Quote from: Gassy Man on September 06, 2015, 11:56:08 PM
I'm going to take a different tack.  I didn't listen to the whole show. What I did hear, though, was classic Art.

Art has this well-honed ability to ask precisely the right questions, where the indirect meaning of the questions essentially calls out the guest for outrageous claims without actually backing him or her into a corner.  And Art was in great form that night.  He pressed MM for details -- exactly the sort needed to corroborate the story -- while also allowing for the possibility, if improbability, that the stories had any truth.

I pointed this out to my girlfriend, after weeks of playing up Art, and she listened for the first time.  She rolled her eyes at the subject, but she agreed about Art's prowess, especially when I switched over to the other show to demonstrate just how incompetent by comparison the other guy is. 

We went to bed, so I didn't hear the rest of the interview.  Unfortunately, that happened when a caller asked a great question about how MM found himself in precisely the same spot two years later just as they were going to break.  I will say that MM seemed tedious and unconvincing even in the relatively small portion of the interview I did hear.  (The girlfriend said he just sounded like "some hillbilly.")  But I thought Art handled him great.  So far, most of the of the MITD shows have been great.  There were one or two I gave up on because of the guest, and not Art.  But Art has been great -- better than on satellite.

I do wish Art would have more scientists and scholars on.  To me, he operates best with that crowd.  He obviously does his homework and engages in conversation, and it's always more interesting to me to hear from paranormal investigators or medical researchers than the amateurs or New Age-y types.  I think Michio Kaku is played out -- I can only listen to him repeat the same four or five things so many times -- but Art works well with high intellects.

G-Man, I agree with you, Art is THE best interviewer out there.

Rix Gins

Yipes!!!  My last post pushed us up to page 28.  Way to go Gabbers! :)

Art Bell

Nobody will ever be happy with everything, just a fact of life I learned Decades ago. What I do is and
always has been a mix of real stuff and stuff you have to decide about.

Feel free to express dislike as you will, I just keep rolling.

Art

pate

Quote from: Art Bell on September 07, 2015, 02:00:49 AM
Nobody will ever be happy with everything, just a fact of life I learned Decades ago. What I do is and

Art

REVEREND!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX7ZEotoFh0

AppealPlay

Art

For what it's worth, I thought it was great.  No matter what you do someone will always find issue with it.  It was a damn good interview, Art.

Rix Gins

Art, Like somebody else noted on an earlier post:  The guest might be a bust but you are always tops!

ZomZom

I think the "Truth or Trash" game is helpful in honing a sharper incredulity that is useful when trying to get more than entertainment from a show. Madman sounds sincere to me but so did some of the Trash callers the other night. I could imagine Madman breaking character and saying, "Yup, I basically made it up."

wr250

Quote from: onan on September 06, 2015, 10:18:17 PM
There are many other scenarios that fit as well as drinking.

Are we now doing character assassinations due to personal stories that leave room for doubt? If so, almost every guest is just as big a target.
my guess was actual damage from the device that perhaps affected his memory and speech patterns. not drunkenness, although drunkenness can be the cause of long term memory loss.

onan

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 07, 2015, 12:23:32 AM
My goodness are you trolling me?.. Shocking... The biggest troll on Bellgab (Onan) is trolling little ol me.

Ok my bad, I shouldn't of made the drunk joke, based on Madman's speech pattern, I'd bet he preferred Ludes.

No, I wasn't trolling you. I didn't mention your mom, level of education, or your sexual preferences. I was challenging your supposition. If that offended you, sorry.

To reiterate, Marcum didn't seek this interview. He didn't come on to make a buck. He was reluctant to be interviewed. So I think some latitude should be considered, rather than maligning a fellow that obviously has a weak story.

scottydawg

"Are we now doing character assassinations due to personal stories that leave room for doubt? If so, almost every guest is just as big a target." You got it Onan!

Well that's half our politicians right there including our current Secretary of State John "Rambo" Kerry! :o

Mebee

Quote from: RoseGirl on September 05, 2015, 12:09:22 AM
his family and friends must of had a fit when they realized he wasn't dead

But he didn't talk about them and their reactions at all. It's a bit odd.

henge0stone

I kinda wish Marcum's story was crazier. Since its obvious BS he should have made it really interesting. Mel's seal story case in point. It was clear BS but it was a good story. Marum's story was too bland to be interesting BS.

Auslandia

Quote from: chefist on September 06, 2015, 06:00:32 PM
If you go by page count...27 means it was a pretty well received show...sure you can never please 100% of the folks 100% of the time, but it was definitely widely listened to...

Either that or the nutty assed film maker is back arguing with people.

ItsOver

Quote from: Mebee on September 07, 2015, 08:34:04 AM
But he didn't talk about them and their reactions at all. It's a bit odd.
"So, son, what have you been up to the last two years?  You say you shot through time and space and ended up in Fairfield, Ohio?  OK, sounds good to me.  Will you be home for Thanksgiving?"

WOTR

Quote from: Gassy Man on September 06, 2015, 11:56:08 PM

...especially when I switched over to the other show to demonstrate just how incompetent by comparison the other guy is. 

So, you have found yourself single and charged with domestic abuse, I assume?

ziznak

Art
dern right Art... dern frackin right

albrecht

I enjoyed the show and the recap of a classic from the past. As mentioned you can't please all the people all the time. I'm not saying I buy into the time travel stuff, from him or anyone, but I also think some of the criticism is not realistic.

I think some people would be surprised how easy it can be for people to "drop out" or get lost, particularly in the days before social media and government control-grid, and if they are poor, drug/alcohol addled, don't have strong family (or abuse in family,) etc. Every police department has lists of missing people; children and adults and even often human remains that are found unidentified- or identified and "nobody was calling or asking about them." There are whole "villages" of homeless people in many areas, hobo camps in more rural/suburban areas, and people just living on the streets. And especially once you are of-age you can go missing and even IF your family is concerned there is not much the law can do without evidence of a crime, coercion, etc and if you don't have a family, friends, etc (or have that are of a bad or addicted type?)

Mebee

Quote from: anunnaki on September 05, 2015, 06:42:05 PM
"Basically", and "To make a long story short"

I'd like to put a Dog Shock Collar around his neck and every time he repeated that word or phrase, shock the snot out of him !!!!

I had the misfortune once to attend a lecture on the history of Florida by a State employee. I recognized her from a previous encounter/lecture and this time I was ready with pen and paper to keep score - She said "Actually" 35 times in 37 minutes!

Others I hate- "Realistically" and the all time classic "You know" ! If I was the host I would respond each time with "No, I don't know"

Nothing beats "LIKE" for annoying overuse.

AppealPlay

We could always just say we messaged Art.  Admittedly, "Fast Blast" is a better name than Wormhole.

My overall opinion is that I'd like to believe Madman's story, but there's just too many problems with it for me.

The fact that none of the 25-30 witnesses have ever spoken out.  The lack of a missing persons report.  No explanation of how his family reacted.

DinamoDennis

How come he didn't answer the question about the earth moving and him ending up in space ? Or did I miss it ?

Rix Gins

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on September 07, 2015, 09:54:00 PM
We could always just say we messaged Art.  Admittedly, "Fast Blast" is a better name than Wormhole.

I enjoyed this show. Kudos to Heather and Art!  As a matter of fact, this was the second, full MITD show i listened to, the first being Art's return. 

The one thing that stuck with me was that Mike stated his travel machine was built some thirty plus feet high.  Now I don't know physics, but wouldn't you think that anything that was transported (without a Star Trek directional transport target mechanism) would do so directly parallel to the point in which it was transported?  Granted, there might be some gravitational pull to etherial transporting "vapors" but otherwise the little critters would not have been found unhurt, and Mike would have sustained a broken hip from falling thirty plus feet down. 

Also, I messaged Art that perhaps a professional hypnotist could have a go at Mike and possibly retrieve some memory from the lost two plus years.  It worked (if you believe it) in the case of the Fullers and other UFO abductees. 

(Michael - Do you notice the change?  Nice suggestion and I don't know how it got by me the first time...guess my problem was I didn't catch any other inference to the word "wormhole", especially in the heat of composing a post.  In hind sight (pun intended, as Richard would say) it did look pretty  harsh.  Thanks!  PS... Nice to meet a real veteran of BellGab!)

RickySsan

Art

Can't please 'm all, if you did it wouldn't be a good show ;)  or as I like to put it, everybody likes it, I must've done something wrong hehe

And for those 30 something 'I want to pleased 24/7' crowd go get something with batteries that moves rapidly in confined dark spaces..

madmanmarcum

No it is me. I'm going to be in and out intermittently but I did start a gofundme page (I've been asked to do so several times). Now that I've done it I regret doing it as it may have been bad timing on my part.

madmanmarcum

I will be on MITD soon, the producers got back to me unlike Coast to Coast..but I want to be a little more prepared, with new time travel experiments and I'll post my new website here very soon that will be an open forum for all.

My website will be for those seeking questions answers, and my own personal collection of time travel experiments.  At no charge of course. The reason being is the last time I lost everything and have never been able to really get back there. The story is true. For anyone who doubted. I was even arrested and the deputy called into the show. Wild. For those who don't believe, I sent myself back home to Ohio, 800 miles away. This has always fascinated me in a Quantum Leap sort of way. My experiments were very much similar to the Phildelphia Experiment, what Einstein and Tesla were hired to do. It's similar to the Oregon Vortex if you've ever read about that. I really can't say too much more I want to save what I have for my next show.