• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

gabrielle

Quote from: Art Bell on September 05, 2015, 04:34:45 PM
It may be we need to use a agency, I am suspect if it is well invested money. Giving the whole thing a lot of thought. No question, we are growing it just a matter of how fast.

Art

Art, I am not sure what you mean by being suspect if it is well invested money? 

starrmtn001

How many BellGab members have successful Podcast/YouTube shows? Devote some time during each show to promote MITD and OSOM.  If you're on a cam, start wearing MITD/OSOM T-Shirts.  Drink from MITD/OSOM coffee cups.  Have posters on the wall behind you.  If you show is REALLY big, have Art then Richard on as guests.

Also, if you have favorite radio hosts, start regularly suggesting they have Art and Richard on as guests.

And, of course, more Time Square exposure! ;D

Anyway, these are just some ideas I thought I'd toss out there.

chefist

Quote from: gabrielle on September 05, 2015, 04:54:37 PM
Art, I am not sure what you mean by being suspect if it is well invested money?

PR n advertising firms are infamous for using up piles of money with minimal or zero returns! You have to make the right choices from the start.

Art Bell

Well it's always a question if advertising money is effective or not for something like this. Grassroots works but is slow. Just thinking about it.

Art

gabrielle

Thanks Chefist.  Now I get it.  I am quite serious when I ask, can we here at Bellgab start our own grass roots thing?  Can we buy ads on billboards etc....and then Art, Redacted, et al, can decide what the content is?  Or, to quote Lennon, "you may say I'm a dreamer". 

Also, isn't Wired a good magazine to feature to Art and his new approach to media.

jazmunda

Quote from: Art Bell on September 05, 2015, 04:34:45 PM
It may be we need to use a agency, I am suspect if it is well invested money. Giving the whole thing a lot of thought. No question, we are growing it just a matter of how fast.

Art

It may be that you will need to go down the route of using an agency to get the word out in order to grow the numbers however first you should consider using Google Ads and Facebook targeted ads as they are inexpensive to get the word out to people who are interested in the topics and guests that you discuss.

I have had a lot of success with these types of targeted advertising. If you need any assistance with this then (Heather) has my contact details. You can reach thousands of people this way.

Also please consider the YouTube option. You only need to include some free clips and the occasional full show or first hour. This can then be used as a marketing tool too that can be easily shared on all forms of social media and websites. It's probably the best form of advertising as it doesn't just promise the goods but it delivers and will leave people wanting more. You can also monetize it so that's a bonus.

I have some experience with this too so let me know if your hardworking army needs a hand. I'm more than happy to help or consult. Not asking for anything in return but some quality radio which you have already delivered ten fold.

Thanks for reading out my wormhole. The show last night was a blast.

chefist

Art, I would use Jaz and his suggestions. My business experience says that is the best way to start.

gabrielle

Quote from: chefist on September 05, 2015, 05:12:38 PM
Art, I would use Jaz and his suggestions. My business experience says that is the best way to start.

Agreed one hundred per cent. 

popple

Please please please strongly consider the YT option. Lots of new people will run into the show, and also people can share the clips by embedding the video on other sites.

Morgus

Quote from: popple on September 05, 2015, 05:30:50 PM
Please please please strongly consider the YT option. Lots of new people will run into the show, and also people can share the clips by embedding the video on other sites.
Yes - imagine a free clip from part of the new Madman Marcum interview!  That would really get people interested! :)

lamr

Drop the folks at Fortean Times a line. The magazine covers many, many areas that Art and RCH deal with. Whilst not as widely viewed as YT or other new media, the readership would certainly be interested. Unless of course they are already onboard!

(last mention of Art Bell on http://forum.forteantimes.com comes form May 2015, before that it is slim pickings)

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Art Bell on September 05, 2015, 04:59:56 PM
Well it's always a question if advertising money is effective or not for something like this. Grassroots works but is slow. Just thinking about it.

Art

The Youtube channel is a seriously good option. Teaser clips, maybe a full show or two.

pyewacket

Art- Everyone is giving good advice and I think YT is a great venue for what you do. there are ways of promoting yourself and your show without hiring a PR firm. Here's an article from Forbes that has some interesting suggestions for DIY and less expensive ways to market your product.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/09/29/small-business-marketing-ent-sales-cx_mf_0929innovativemarketing_slide.html?thisSpeed=15000

RoseGirl

Quote from: Art Bell on September 05, 2015, 04:13:32 PM
Hi everybody, our shows seem to be catching on. I am amazed and really happy that Richard seems to be taking off like a Saturn Five, it took me a while to talk him into it but I can tell he is really starting to have fun. I found Rossy for him and I think that was the magic moment that sent him in the right direction, nobody can do it alone.

Art

Nobody can do it alone? Oye....what you said. Not so easy, is it?

serenity

Quote from: RoseGirl on September 05, 2015, 06:26:21 PM
Nobody can do it alone? Oye....what you said. Not so easy, is it?

Thats why we are here. Lots of good ideas. Sounds like a mega blitz plus coming on. Im in!

Art Bell

That's right, it takes a team. I have had conversations with Heather and Jaz and we are putting a plan together. I am not afraid to spend money, I just want the best bang for the buck.

I come here to generate ideas and kind of think out loud. This board is full of smart people.

Art

Larger social media presence and cross promotion. That'll do you even better than traditional media ads nowadays.

nika01

Quote from: Art Bell on September 05, 2015, 06:46:57 PM
That's right, it takes a team. I have had conversations with Heather and Jaz and we are putting a plan together. I am not afraid to spend money, I just want the best bang for the buck.

I come here to generate ideas and kind of think out loud. This board is full of smart people.

Art
Have you asked yourself where you want to be in a year?How big do you want your show to be?

SaucyRossy

A Facebook ad campaign is a very targeted way to reach people. And the cost of it is surprisingly reasonable for the amount of people they guarantee it will reach.

Art Bell

Quote from: nika01 on September 05, 2015, 06:58:28 PM
Have you asked yourself where you want to be in a year?How big do you want your show to be?

I see no reason to think of limits.

wr250

Quote from: Art Bell on September 05, 2015, 07:03:07 PM
music licensing fees ...
its kinda like working 5 hours of overtime, and taking home less than the normal net pay due to taxes...

henge0stone

Quote from: Art Bell on September 05, 2015, 04:13:32 PM
Hi everybody, our shows seem to be catching on. I am amazed and really happy that Richard seems to be taking off like a Saturn Five, it took me a while to talk him into it but I can tell he is really starting to have fun. I found Rossy for him and I think that was the magic moment that sent him in the right direction, nobody can do it alone.

Now we have 5 powerful Hours of radio pounding every night of the Week as a high quality alternative
For late night listener's. What we need now is to figure a way to get the word out that we exist, you would be surprised at how many people do not even know I am back or that Richard has even started a show. It seems to me that other then keeping our quality up the main mission is getting the word out. The steady growth shows people are finding us but some sort of National push is what we need and I am thinking about how we can do it.

Art

Thanks for the awesome show! The episode about werewolves was particularly creepy, I found myself looking out the window to makes sure there were no red eyes peering at me. This is the hallmark of a great Art Bell show.

Quote from: jazmunda on September 05, 2015, 05:05:17 PM
Also please consider the YouTube option. You only need to include some free clips and the occasional full show or first hour. This can then be used as a marketing tool too that can be easily shared on all forms of social media and websites. It's probably the best form of advertising as it doesn't just promise the goods but it delivers and will leave people wanting more. You can also monetize it so that's a bonus.

I know zilch about advertising, but I think YouTube is one of the great levelers. Everyone uses it. Back in the day when Art was C2C and they wanted subscribers, they hosted free weekends to get people to sign up, usually with a Malachi Martin interview as part of the deal. That's how I became a subscriber, living as I do on the east coast and having to get up very early in the morning. Now, maybe the idea isn't to get more Time Travelers, but it sure can't hurt to give a free listen to the show for one week or weekend a couple times a year on YouTube, or maybe as has been suggested, some limited clips. But if they are limited, consider giving the potential audience something to get into for maybe an hour, not a brief 10 minute clip. Noory does that and it's annoying.

There's an army of people on YT listening to whatever they can get their hands on including old Art Bell C2C shows, and now, other paranormal podcasts. The audience is there. It's just a matter of making them aware of the new show and maybe picking up some new subscriptions along the way from people who have to listen on demand.

Thanks for reading out my wormhole. The show last night was a blast.

I am DYING to make a smartass comment here, but am showing an exceptionally mature sense of restraint. For once.   :P

henge0stone

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on September 05, 2015, 07:14:17 PM
I know zilch about advertising, but I think YouTube is one of the great levelers. Everyone uses it. Back in the day when Art was C2C and they wanted subscribers, they hosted free weekends to get people to sign up, usually with a Malachi Martin interview as part of the deal. That's how I became a subscriber, living as I do on the east coast and having to get up very early in the morning. Now, maybe the idea isn't to get more Time Travelers, but it sure can't hurt to give a free listen to the show for one week or weekend a couple times a year on YouTube, or maybe as has been suggested, some limited clips. But if they are limited, consider giving the potential audience something to get into for maybe an hour, not a brief 10 minute clip. Noory does that and it's annoying.

There's an army of people on YT listening to whatever they can get their hands on including old Art Bell C2C shows, and now, other paranormal podcasts. The audience is there. It's just a matter of making them aware of the new show and maybe picking up some new subscriptions along the way from people who have to listen on demand.

I second this, Youtube was most peoples gateway to old Art Bell shows. I wouldn't be opposed to having the shows posted on youtube, but other time travelers might object to that. 

gabrielle

Art the banner on your website is awesome....!   

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Art Bell on September 05, 2015, 06:46:57 PM

Art

FWIW... As much as we hate to admit it, isn't your target market Dave's audience?

Does anyone have ideas for reaching them, to let them know Art is back.

Halloween is coming up, are there Halloween supply sites that sell ad space?
Maybe work out a deal, to exchange an ad on their site, for a plug on your show.

Billboards ... Every major city I drive through have Billboards on the interstate highway system for radio programs.

Newspaper ads in major cities. In my business we can attract new customers in droves with 'right' ad
that is timely for market conditions. Don't know how that would work for you.

Offer first month of archives free for new subscribers. Of course, they have to sign up with their credit card (opps PayPal account) to get the first month free.
Never underestimate the power of a free give away, with a new subscription. Bumper stickers would be a great free give away. I have one of yours from SXM days, on my Motor Home, it has generated a few campground conversations.

Have OXDEED make a 8 1/2 X 11 flyer, print them off in the thousands and shipped to every truck stop in country,  with instruction, "please be so kind to place these on counter and/or public place for your customers" Flyer should have detailed info about show and various ways to listen.

Ask your loyal fans on Bellgab to do the same, have them print the flyers and leave them at truck stops, road side rest stops and anywhere tourist info is available

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Art Bell on September 05, 2015, 07:03:07 PM

That'a boy! ... Glad that nonsense is done with.

starrmtn001

Thanks for reading reaming out my wormhole. The show last night was a blast.
Quote from: Unscreened Caller on September 05, 2015, 07:16:13 PM
I am DYING to make a smartass comment here, but am showing an exceptionally mature sense of restraint. For once.   :P
LOL.  I'm not showing any restraint. ;D