• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dave Schrader

Started by NowhereInTime, March 16, 2013, 06:20:57 PM

Nebraska888

Quote from: Scully on December 07, 2014, 02:47:42 AM
I'm enjoying Dave Schrader's show tonight.  He shows real interest in the paranormal ...  so very different from the Snorge.

Schrader is my first choice for a replacement host.  Not perfect, but close enough to count in horseshoes. 

I agree......Schrader is my first choice for PERMANENT host.  I love Knapp, but we know that he isn't interested in a full time host job.

136 or 142

Nobody commented on tonight's show?  To quote The Beatles "very strange."

I fell asleep barely more than an hour and a half into tonight's show but what I heard I thought was excellent, especially the  woman who thought she had bipolar disorder.  I plan to go ahead later today and listen to the rest of the show via the CKNW audio vault.

Nebraska888

Good program!  I enjoyed it!

albrecht

Wow. Great show last night especially with Susannah Cahalan and her story. Scary show and very interesting. Schrader did a great job and the Susannah's story was riveting and scary as hell.

Nebraska888

Quote from: albrecht on January 04, 2015, 12:11:46 PM
Wow. Great show last night especially with Susannah Cahalan and her story. Scary show and very interesting. Schrader did a great job and the Susannah's story was riveting and scary as hell.

Yep!   ;)

136 or 142

I'm going to listen to the rest in a few minutes.  Since she wasn't bipolar and also said she didn't have a stroke, I'm going to guess that she had some kind of a thyroid problem as that is the only thing I'm aware of that can cause both mental and physical 'problems'

albrecht

Quote from: 136 or 142 on January 04, 2015, 06:00:53 PM
I'm going to listen to the rest in a few minutes.  Since she wasn't bipolar and also said she didn't have a stroke, I'm going to guess that she had some kind of a thyroid problem as that is the only thing I'm aware of that can cause both mental and physical 'problems'
I won't give it away with spoilers but it is a very interesting, and scary, case. Well worth the listen. A legitimate guest on C2C, an oddity, and she has been on public radio, various radio shows, and apparently her book got picked up for production by Hollywood for a movie. It shows also that you can have legitimate guests and still have a very scary show and an interesting one since the host was clearly interested in the subject and guest.

wr250

Quote from: albrecht on January 04, 2015, 12:11:46 PM
i agree. but he missed one question he should of asked.
she said she went out of body and watched the emts put her in the ambulance, during the 1st seizure. before that she was exhibiting erratic behavior, going from luaghing to crying in just a few seconds, and then back.

the question is did she feel "more normal", just different, or even perhaps indifferent when out of body?

albrecht

Quote from: wr250 on January 04, 2015, 06:28:11 PM
i agree. but he missed one question he should of asked.
she said she went out of body and watched the emts put her in the ambulance, during the 1st seizure. before that she was exhibiting erratic behavior, going from luaghing to crying in just a few seconds, and then back.

the question is did she feel "more normal", just different, or even perhaps indifferent when out of body?
Good point. I downloaded some of her other interviews (Leonard Lopate and Fresh Air) and will see if questions like that were mentioned. Somehow I doubt they mentioned the "exorcism" angle though it is an interesting speculative theory. Also I wonder how many are locked up in the "nut house" who suffered from some kind of organic brain disease, viral infection, auto-immune, etc. And how much "research and analysis" would happen if a person with symptoms she exhibited were admitted who had no insurance, concerned family, good job, etc? Or just thrown in a loony-bin to waste away or die?

AvDaBr

The first hour guest with Schrader last night is host of some show that is going to do a Bell Witch cave program if I heard correctly.  Has Knapp or any other host of Coast to Coast done a show on the Bell Witch?  That's certainly one of the more terrifying paranormal/poltergeist accounts I've ever heard.  Sure it's probably hogwash, but still.

wr250

Quote from: albrecht on January 04, 2015, 07:32:54 PM
Good point. I downloaded some of her other interviews (Leonard Lopate and Fresh Air) and will see if questions like that were mentioned. Somehow I doubt they mentioned the "exorcism" angle though it is an interesting speculative theory. Also I wonder how many are locked up in the "nut house" who suffered from some kind of organic brain disease, viral infection, auto-immune, etc. And how much "research and analysis" would happen if a person with symptoms she exhibited were admitted who had no insurance, concerned family, good job, etc? Or just thrown in a loony-bin to waste away or die?

also she stated she had not slept for a week(?) , sleep deprivation would cause hallucinations, and many of the other symptoms...

albrecht

Quote from: wr250 on January 05, 2015, 08:07:30 AM

also she stated she had not slept for a week(?) , sleep deprivation would cause hallucinations, and many of the other symptoms...
True, I think that was the point and the problem with diagnosing. Many of the symptoms could be indicative of other conditions (alcohol withdrawl, schizophrenia, bi-polar, sleep deprivation, etc) but having so many and the various changes, etc. And being a newly identified disease caused the doctors to take so long to figure out the cause. And her age would make first "guess" to either be alcohol/drug related, a mental schizo and bi-polar disorder (often manifest or diagnosed in late teens or early 20's), or psychological (stress of being alone, new job, new boyfriend, etc) because damages/infections on the brain can cause psychological and physical problems that look like "mental problems" or some other physical ailment. Combine that with desire to clear wards, if someone has no insurance, lack of training, etc makes a bad situation.

Zetaspeak

I enjoyed Saturday night show very much. She a very good story teller and had a fascinating story to tell.

I also forget what a good interviewer can do with the C2C format. Wow the interviewer actually utilized the three hours and talk about each stage of Susannah experience with depth and proper follow up questions. What a concept  ;D

Schrader going in depth every half hour about her early symptoms, her false diagnosis, her friends and family reaction as she gets worse, and finally the correct diagnosis was a good job on his part. 

albrecht

Quote from: Zetaspeak on January 05, 2015, 10:46:51 AM
I enjoyed Saturday night show very much. She a very good story teller and had a fascinating story to tell.

I also forget what a good interviewer can do with the C2C format. Wow the interviewer actually utilized the three hours and talk about each stage of Susannah experience with depth and proper follow up questions. What a concept  ;D

Schrader going in depth every half hour about her early symptoms, her false diagnosis, her friends and family reaction as she gets worse, and finally the correct diagnosis was a good job on his part.
That show REALLY shows how bad C2C has fallen under the aegis of Norry. Anyone listen to that show and then listen to just about ANY Norry show. And Schrader's interview beat out, in my opinion, the interviews of the same guest on public radios (Fresh Air, Leonard Lopate, etc.) Though that could also simply be a result of having HOURS to get into more details and not quickly summarize the case. Schrader also made it much more step-by-step, as it really happened, so much more scary as well as medically interesting. Of course, she was also an articulate guest with an amazing story. Art could turn a wacked-out, inarticulate guest into a good show often.

Scully

Schrader is the obvious best choice for weekend host of Coast.  Wonder who they'll actually pick ...  ::)

Quote from: Scully on January 06, 2015, 12:50:32 AM
Schrader is the obvious best choice for weekend host of Coast.  Wonder who they'll actually pick ...  ::)

.............I think I know................

wr250

john hogue(ster)

Dr Who

I have to say I don't like Dave on c2c but on his own show (Darkness radio) he is very good and he and his co host Tim are also very funny.

Nebraska888

Dave is the obvious choice for Friday and Saturday nights......I still need my Knapp "fix" on occasional Sundays.

Scully

Quote from: Nebraska888 on January 08, 2015, 03:23:26 PM
Dave is the obvious choice for Friday and Saturday nights......I still need my Knapp "fix" on occasional Sundays.

Agreed, Nebraska.  That could be worked out, though.

The real problem would be to get rid of Simple George on Fridays.

Quote from: Scully on January 08, 2015, 10:53:16 PM

[/u][/b] (emphasis added by me)

AND the first Sunday of every month.

Quote from: Dr Who on January 07, 2015, 03:09:26 PM
I have to say I don't like Dave on c2c but on his own show (Darkness radio) he is very good and he and his co host Tim are also very funny.

I agree with you, I emailed Schrader about why Darkness radio was better than when he was on coast. He pretty much stated he has more control of his own show. Like he has the ability to dump a caller when they start reading or something.

Quote from: nooryisawesome on January 09, 2015, 05:41:34 AM
I agree with you, I emailed Schrader about why Darkness radio was better than when he was on coast. He pretty much stated he has more control of his own show. Like he has the ability to dump a caller when they start reading or something.

I certainly don't mind good Dave sitting in on Coast.. but I think he is much better at his own program.. more at ease.. More in the groove. But that is not saying he is bad on Coast either..
Quite frankly...I don't think he should be the weekend host at all. I think he needs to stick to Darkness Radio since it is a format he created..
The thing about coast is no matter who is on, they are still using Art's format. They never ditched much of anything.. same sound effects, often the same music.. It's their goal to make a listener think that Art is still around, sort of in the background. Dave however gives the impression that Art is not.. It's just not a good match

But I love Darkness Radio

Nebraska888

Quote from: Scully on January 08, 2015, 10:53:16 PM

And.....we have our wish....Syrett tonight.  I don't mind him at all.  ANYONE BUT NOORY!!!!

FM451

I made a point of missing the "Strange Illness"  show with Dave Schrader. I thought it would be another "Health" or medical show (how to keep a clean colon!) and passed. On seeing many of the posts on this forum, I realized I may have missed a very good show. I downloaded all 4 hours, and I would rate this show with some of George Knapp's efforts (the Paulides shows, the missing man in Nevada).  Very informative, well paced, great guest.  Thanks, people!  8)

cweb

Finally caught this show. Gotta say it was one of Schrader's best. Probably one of the better C2C shows in recent memory.

I liked watching Josh Gates' old show, so the first hour was pretty enjoyable. Then the second guest came on and it got weird. In a good way.

I can't imagine living like she did for a month or so. Like a really messed up dream. Like previous posters have said- Schrader did a great job slowly unraveling this one. These "slow burning" stories are a favorite of mine.

I am going to be doing some night traveling on Saturday January 24. I am praying for Good Dave to be the host..

wr250

Quote from: HorrorReporter on January 15, 2015, 01:02:42 PM
I am going to be doing some night traveling on Saturday January 24. I am praying for Good Dave to be the host..

well being a saturday, you wont get the bad dave, dave noory.

Quote from: wr250 on January 15, 2015, 01:14:31 PM
well being a saturday, you wont get the bad dave, dave noory.

yes.. but I am deathly afraid for my car ride that it could be LISA..

Josh P. Warren called in again tonight to toot his own horn and advertise his stupid wishing machine.