• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

5 Worst Talk Radio/Podcasts

Started by Lavarat, February 22, 2016, 08:31:07 AM

Robert

I think it was the early 1990s when WVNJ (AM) changed their facilities & went to a leased-time "format".  Somebody proceeded to lease time then to do the worst talk show (let alone phone-in one) outside of student broadcasts.  I don't remember his name, although I do remember his habit of referring to current events vaguely as "that whole set-up".  I phoned in once to tell him how awful he was, and that he could save $ by getting a program on a student station & practicing there.  I think it was mercifully limited to an hour, but lasted a few mos.   I'd heard much better even on CB, let alone ham.

Does it count if a program was irritainment -- that is, deliberately irritating possible-entertainment?  Kenny G did 2- or 3-hour shows weekly like that on WFMU.  I forgot Kenny G's full name, but he was a prof. at Penn, I think of English, and a poet, & would sometimes get involved with acts of protest IRL.  Not all his programs were talk.  The last title it was listed under on WFMU's schedule was "Hour of Pain".  He'd do things like spend 2 consecutive programs repeating all the weather reports from WINS for the preceding year in his own voice.

Does it count if it's just a token program?  For instance, people have filled the audio program of a "barker channel" sent in the clear to advertise scrambled subscription TV, and I've heard similar time-filling placeholders for various circumstances on TV channels.  Usually they're mostly music, though, and in general they're just boring & not actively grating.

How about baby monitors or intercoms?  OK, scraping the bottom of the barrel there.

Robert

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 25, 2016, 10:44:40 AMWhen he first started he had an interesting concept for the money bomb. Giving back half of the donations to a random donater each month.
So this guy was running a 50-50 lottery online?!

GravitySucks

Quote from: Robert on February 29, 2016, 10:24:05 PM
So this guy was running a 50-50 lottery online?!

Yep. Still does as far as I know.

Just Me

Quote from: MV on February 25, 2016, 05:07:46 PM

Ya she knows how to disconnect the listerners when Bill is delivering information. She breaks the magic of the show and should be muzzled so Bill can finish telling his information about people and stories that get the listener on the edge of the seat, only to be blown away when she cuts in with wha, wha, what a minute stop, stop, stop. Surely a situation of a sniper killing the messenger.

Barfly

I dont know what the worst is, i tend not to listen to them.
One of the best i have found that actually has some intelligent conversation is The Phileas Club
http://frenchspin.com/
Patrick is a smart well traveled guy that brings in people from all over the planet to discus world issues.
But then again i also like Stefan Molyneux http://www.fdrpodcasts.com MOST of the time, at least he makes me think.
As far as the paranormal shit goes, its all the same with the same guests that hop from one broadcast to the next, they say the same shit and nothing is new.
The market is over saturated

akwilly

Quote from: Barfly on March 01, 2016, 10:20:38 PM
I dont know what the worst is, i tend not to listen to them.
One of the best i have found that actually has some intelligent conversation is The Phileas Club
http://frenchspin.com/
Patrick is a smart well traveled guy that brings in people from all over the planet to discus world issues.
But then again i also like Stefan Molyneux http://www.fdrpodcasts.com MOST of the time, at least he makes me think.
As far as the paranormal shit goes, its all the same with the same guests that hop from one broadcast to the next, they say the same shit and nothing is new.
The market is over saturated
I agree with you on the over saturation of the paranormal guests. If a host would really press some of these same old guests for real freaking evidence then maybe we could have some interesting shows.

Viper

The worst podcast I've heard is Blue Moon at Midnight by Lasha Seniuk
Closely tied is The Outsider by Lasha Seniuk.

Can anyone tell me why this crazy person had two shows? It's so bad I almost want to blog about it in a funny way.

After deep research, my top five all seem to be on DMFR, go figure.

the_peeve

Dark Matter Digital Network did have some really awful ones at the start. I think they have been thinned out. There are still some stinkers, but that is to be expected.

Some of the worst radio I ever heard was in those early days of the network.

I listened to a Jimmy Church program over the weekend, guest was Douglas Dietrich,
It didn't go too well, Jimmy's favorite subject seems to be.............Jimmy.
I don't know if he's still on the network, I know he was on Coast sometimes, I rarely listen to that anymore, unsubscribed when Wells left.
p.s. Why did you think I was referring to Dark Matter? DMFN doesn't really say that,
specifically.

malliard

Yes the early days of dark matter digital were rough.. but if it could have developed with a business model for the whole network, not just one host... it would have been a wild success

the_peeve

Quote from: malliard on March 07, 2016, 09:27:35 PM
Yes the early days of dark matter digital were rough.. but if it could have developed with a business model for the whole network, not just one host... it would have been a wild success

True. But they didn't want to spend money on the network. The network needed its own director, outside of Bell's show. Meaning the network has two radio directors.

malliard

by the point that he came back he should have been the icing on the cake...

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Original Larry on March 07, 2016, 05:43:00 PM
After deep research, my top five all seem to be on DMFR, go figure.

Hahaha.

Just Me

freedomslips dat com is the worst.

Run by a guy who calls himself NnighthawkK aka Mike Ringly who thinks he's a top notch radio personality and makes his host line up all beg for cash to keep the shitz together. A total ship of fools making noises that irritate the listener. If you wanna get a beating join there chatroom and say the wrong thing. They'll fix ya real good.

They go thru host like water over a dam. The thing that gets me is how this guy makes his host beg for cash to keep his shitz going every month.

Lunger

Quote from: Soylentblue on February 25, 2016, 04:18:08 PM
Future Theater.

Every time I have tried to listen to it the hosts continually talk over their guests.

What is the point of having guests when the hosts are always interrupting?

All the fans of Future Theater should get together for a drinking game where you have to take a shot each time Nancy interrupts with a non sequitur.   

We'd all be passed out drunk inside of 20 minutes.

malliard

any we get an updated listed? maybe a bracket so we can name the worst show?

Corona Kitty

Paranormal central is probably hands down the worst.

Dyna-X

I would nominate (all from KGRA):
*Q-Science Project (Jill Hansen) as one of the worst ever. Mix a flaring ego and cult of personality with the most mind numbing pseudoscience new-age and unknown stoned-out sounding guests on bean bag chairs and you'll get the idea. Very shoddy production as well.
*Any KGRA show that features Chase Kloetzke (think: "Boots on the Ground") as a host or as a guest.  You could listen to Chase for two hours and not learn a single thing other than you should have a "go-bag" and that she considers this or that investigator to be a "Rock Star."
*Truth Theorem Radio (Warren and Jason) Warning: discourse is tavern level. Do they have oppasable thumbs? Their misogyny will also show through when they duck and run for cover when any woman with a real education gets on the show.

I would also switch off any Richard Dolan show in the final 30 minutes where he plays life coach and guru to all his "Dolanites." The best years of his show were his first two years and by extrapolation it will make the worst list within a couple of years if he doesn't turn things around.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Dyna-X on March 15, 2016, 02:29:56 PM
I would nominate (all from KGRA):
*Q-Science Project (Jill Hansen) as one of the worst ever. Mix a flaring ego and cult of personality with the most mind numbing pseudoscience new-age and unknown stoned-out sounding guests on bean bag chairs and you'll get the idea. Very shoddy production as well.
*Any KGRA show that features Chase Kloetzke (think: "Boots on the Ground") as a host or as a guest.  You could listen to Chase for two hours and not learn a single thing other than you should have a "go-bag" and that she considers this or that investigator to be a "Rock Star."
*Truth Theorem Radio (Warren and Jason) Warning: discourse is tavern level. Do they have oppasable thumbs? Their misogyny will also show through when they duck and run for cover when any woman with a real education gets on the show.

I would also switch off any Richard Dolan show in the final 30 minutes where he plays life coach and guru to all his "Dolanites." The best years of his show were his first two years and by extrapolation it will make the worst list within a couple of years if he doesn't turn things around.

Posted similar thoughts about Dolan and Kloetzke, as an interviewer she's worse than Noory.

I had forgotten about Hansen. The only time I listened to her, on chat I challenged the credibility of the PhD her guest claimed in something goofy like "Advanced Universal Enlightenment Studies".  He finally admitted his degree was from a private, non-accredited school with some silly name like "University of Consciousness and Enlightenment".  Hansen defended the guest/school/degree by explaining those wanting to study/learn such mysteries had no other option since real, accredited schools offered no such degrees.  She was serious.  Even the guest seemed embarrassed.  Never listened to her again.

Dyna-X

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 15, 2016, 03:59:42 PM
Posted similar thoughts about Dolan and Kloetzke, as an interviewer she's worse than Noory.

I had forgotten about Hansen. The only time I listened to her, on chat I challenged the credibility of the PhD her guest claimed in something goofy like "Advanced Universal Enlightenment Studies".  He finally admitted his degree was from a private, non-accredited school with some silly name like "University of Consciousness and Enlightenment".  Hansen defended the guest/school/degree by explaining those wanting to study/learn such mysteries had no other option since real, accredited schools offered no such degrees.  She was serious.  Even the guest seemed embarrassed.  Never listened to her again.

Any host or guest that pads their resume and bio in such a way that it would not fly in the real world goes on my crap list.  If someone is a plumber or accountant that chases ghosts/UFOs/bigfoot on the weekends or hosts a show thats fine. Its the inflated and fake veneers that make me want to puke. Fake radio voices and exaggerated swagger also push me to go elsewhere. Whatever happened to just talking? Intellectual honesty, plain speaking and taking care of the basics of production (like putting noisy pets in another room and having a decent microphone) will work wonders in making a listenable show. Listenable! We're at the stage now that a show is just below good if we can tolerate it while cleaning the refridgerator, brushing the cat or after a couple of drinks. That's pretty profound.

And I caught your earlier comments. Yep, Chase is a phony up and down.  How she got on the MUFON Star team boggles minds.

Auslandia

Quote from: Dyna-X on March 15, 2016, 07:59:15 PM
Any host or guest that pads their resume and bio in such a way that it would not fly in the real world goes on my crap list.  If someone is a plumber or accountant that chases ghosts/UFOs/bigfoot on the weekends or hosts a show thats fine. Its the inflated and fake veneers that make me want to puke. Fake radio voices and exaggerated swagger also push me to go elsewhere. Whatever happened to just talking? Intellectual honesty, plain speaking and taking care of the basics of production (like putting noisy pets in another room and having a decent microphone) will work wonders in making a listenable show. Listenable! We're at the stage now that a show is just below good if we can tolerate it while cleaning the refridgerator, brushing the cat or after a couple of drinks. That's pretty profound.

And I caught your earlier comments. Yep, Chase is a phony up and down.  How she got on the MUFON Star team boggles minds.

It may be perfectly legit but for some reason they always call her the "female Indiana Jones" and I can't quite figure it out. 

malliard

marketing, some other hosts at that network tag lines as well...

Auslandia

Quote from: malliard on March 16, 2016, 12:47:32 PM
marketing, some other hosts at that network tag lines as well...

I guess but what does investigating UFO's have to do with Indiana Jones?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Auslandia on March 16, 2016, 02:57:59 PM
I guess but what does investigating UFO's have to do with Indiana Jones?

Perhaps you can gain some insight into Kloetzke by listening to her being interviewed by George tomorrow night on C2C.  Could be the most inane two hours in the history of paranormal radio. 

malliard

You know. I have no idea. Wasn't my idea

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 16, 2016, 03:31:49 PM
Perhaps you can gain some insight into Kloetzke by listening to her being interviewed by George tomorrow night on C2C.  Could be the most inane two hours in the history of paranormal radio.

Cool - maybe she'll tell her tale of investigating alien reproductive fluids in Tennessee

Hear the tale at about the 27 minute mark:

http://theunexplained.tv/paranormal-podcasts/edition-186-chase-kloetzke

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on March 16, 2016, 06:29:19 PM
Cool - maybe she'll tell her tale of investigating alien reproductive fluids in Tennessee

Hear the tale at about the 27 minute mark:

http://theunexplained.tv/paranormal-podcasts/edition-186-chase-kloetzke

Please tell me she didn't give a hand job to an ET.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on March 16, 2016, 07:19:49 PM
Please tell me she didn't give a hand job to an ET.

Thumb and forefinger only man.....

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on March 16, 2016, 07:21:49 PM
Thumb and forefinger only man.....

It's a good bet she has latex gloves in her go-bag.