• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

YouTube video downloads?

Started by basswood, August 09, 2013, 06:52:24 PM

basswood

I tried out some recommended video downloading programs a few years ago but was generally unhappy with them because of spam issues and even some hijacking of my browser. I know there's some fairly tech-savvy users on here and was wondering what the best programs are now for downloading and saving YouTube vids that don't come with "tradeoffs."

basswood

Thanks, Foodlion, I appreciate it but I have had problems with this one though. Some people praise it and others have nothing but issues. Unfortunately I am in the latter group. MV gave me a good audio dowloader but I'm still trying to find one that works for vid for me.

Foodlion

Quote from: basswood on August 29, 2013, 07:31:04 AM
Thanks, Foodlion, I appreciate it but I have had problems with this one though. Some people praise it and others have nothing but issues. Unfortunately I am in the latter group. MV gave me a good audio dowloader but I'm still trying to find one that works for vid for me.

I understand. It does take some tweaking to get used to it, but I havent found a better one out there.
If I ever find a better one, I will be sure to post it.

basswood

Quote from: WildCard on August 29, 2013, 09:29:06 AM
I've had better luck with http://download.cnet.com/FlashGot/3000-11745_4-10365965.html.

Thanks Wildcard, gave it a download, so far no hi-jinx, will play around with it today.

basswood

Quote from: WildCard on August 29, 2013, 09:29:06 AM
I've had better luck with http://download.cnet.com/FlashGot/3000-11745_4-10365965.html.

Man, that program slowed my browser waaaaaaay down, probably to a quarter of the speed, had to uninstall. This doesn't happen to yours or is there a setting I should adjust?

Morgus

For the Firefox browser there are some good free addons for youtube video/audio downloads.
Also the Free Download Manager software supports downloading of youtube and other flash videos.

WildCard

Quote from: basswood on August 29, 2013, 02:25:15 PM
Man, that program slowed my browser waaaaaaay down, probably to a quarter of the speed, had to uninstall. This doesn't happen to yours or is there a setting I should adjust?
No, unless you mean after you started downloading the video?

It downloads like 12 "media", when all you need is the one. So, as soon as it starts, I cancel all downloads but the one - can't remember which one   ???

basswood

Quote from: WildCard on August 29, 2013, 02:50:11 PM
No, unless you mean after you started downloading the video?

It downloads like 12 "media", when all you need is the one. So, as soon as it starts, I cancel all downloads but the one - can't remember which one   ???

No, not even open. It's obviously running or doing something in the background.

basswood

Quote from: Morgus on August 29, 2013, 02:41:30 PM
For the Firefox browser there are some good free addons for youtube video/audio downloads.
Also the Free Download Manager software supports downloading of youtube and other flash videos.

I start getting incessant pop-ups with the ones I tried in the past. I don't understand, these programs don't seem to cause problems with most people (see above posts) but I always have some stupid issue.

williedee

If you're not afraid of the command line, i've had perfect success with http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

It is very simple and powerful, but no gui makes it seem difficult.

steelbot

Freemake Video Converter is the best "easy-persons" tool there is for all sorts of media conversions, but it's on par with VLC in it's open software approach - It is not spyware, and it's as simple as copying the url and pasting it into the program.  You can get better results if you go into the conversion options, but still - it's been my recommended software for a few years now, and I use it at times.