• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Whitley Strieber

Started by Ruteger, July 26, 2010, 05:35:04 PM

Quote from: pabigfoot on September 10, 2011, 07:13:01 AM
Warday is a great novel

I enjoyed that novel.  But a movie might be too much like Ellison's "A Boy and His Dog".  That dog's voice just ruined what was a really good story.  Although I did think Don Johnson did a good job.  But that was very long ago and my memory might be failing me.  ::)

You never know, one can only hope.   :)

Quote from: Treading Water on September 10, 2011, 03:03:14 PM
I enjoyed that novel.  But a movie might be too much like Ellison's "A Boy and His Dog".  That dog's voice just ruined what was a really good story.  Although I did think Don Johnson did a good job.  But that was very long ago and my memory might be failing me.  ::)

Did you just mention "A Boy and His Dog"?  Yep, looks like you did.  I rarely see that movie mentioned anymore, and it was one of the funniest and strangest movies I have ever seen.  Those of you who haven't seen it, give it a watch sometime.  Great stuff.

b_dubb

Quote from: Treading Water on September 10, 2011, 03:03:14 PM... too much like Ellison's "A Boy and His Dog" ...

i LOVE that movie.  and here's an interesting piece of trivia: the dog in that film is the same dog that appeared in the last few seasons of the Brady Bunch.  that dog could really act. 

HAL 9000

Quote from: Treading Water on September 10, 2011, 03:03:14 PMBut a movie might be too much like Ellison's "A Boy and His Dog".  That dog's voice just ruined what was a really good story.  Although I did think Don Johnson did a good job.  But that was very long ago and my memory might be failing me.  ::)
Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on September 11, 2011, 08:07:37 PMDid you just mention "A Boy and His Dog"?  Yep, looks like you did.  I rarely see that movie mentioned anymore, and it was one of the funniest and strangest movies I have ever seen.  Those of you who haven't seen it, give it a watch sometime.  Great stuff.
Quote from: b_dubb on September 11, 2011, 10:02:20 PMi LOVE that movie.  and here's an interesting piece of trivia: the dog in that film is the same dog that appeared in the last few seasons of the Brady Bunch.  that dog could really act.

Here is the movie "A Boy and His Dog" :

http://www.rapidshare.com/files/1577168139/A.Boy.and.His.Dog.avi

[attachment deleted by admin]

fabucat

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 09, 2011, 02:57:04 PM
Thanks for posting this! I take whatever Whitley Strieber says/writes as fiction. It can be enjoyed so long as you don't take it seriously.

I agree....and he's entertaining as hell.  If I wanted mainstream and boring, I'd watch The View or Wolf Blitzer....I mean one of the virtues of this board is that I don't think any one here takes any one associated with C2C very seriously, except maybe Art Bell.  I mean, Hoaxland makes me scream with laughter. 

Quote from: fabucat on September 18, 2011, 09:54:07 PM
I agree....and he's entertaining as hell.  If I wanted mainstream and boring, I'd watch The View or Wolf Blitzer

In my opinion he is semi-boring; he tells the same stories over, and over, and over, and then over again.  I will grant you that he is better than Wolf Biltzer however.

coaster

I'm a fan of Whitleys. Hes a nut, but hes entertaining. Hal 9000, thanks for the links to the audio books. I havent read his books in awhile, so Ill enjoy listening to them.

I like it when Whitley gets on about something everyday but out of the ordinary, like a woman coming out of a bathroom as evidence of teleportation. "MY WIFE WAS SURE NO ONE ELSE WAS IN THERE".

Etc.

M Knight

Quote from: HAL 9000 on September 07, 2011, 11:19:19 PM
Whitley Strieber is a nutjob.

The main concern of the Master of the Key is to save each of us from self-imprisonment. "Mankind is trapped," the stranger tells Strieber. "I want to help you spring the trap."

Funny, "spring the trap" actually means activating the trap.

expat

Last night (5th Dec 2011) he sounded as though he was reading a script (badly) throughout the entire show.

His crash ending was a lesson is how it's not done.

It was rough. I kept listening to the documents that would 'knock my socks off'.. They stayed on and I fell asleep.

Eddie Coyle

He's awful with zero broadcasting acumen. The guy has no charisma and is completely self-consumed. Every guest seems to be an avenue to his pimping a book of his own. Absolutely atrocious.

BobGrau

One thing in whitley's favour - he's not spent the last ten years being horrifically overpaid for supposedly being a proffesional talk radio host.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: BobGrau on December 06, 2011, 11:15:14 AM
One thing in whitley's favour - he's not spent the last ten years being horrifically overpaid for supposedly being a proffesional talk radio host.

Well, that's one way to find a silver lining. 

fysisist

11angeleyes11

Quote from: fysisist on December 06, 2011, 02:16:50 PM
Give the guy a break, he's been anally violated by ET.
He missed it, a one in a 2012!  The show was about polygraphs, and he could have volunteered to show all that he was anally violated.  . or not It would have put you on the edge of your seat. . .  Imagine on the edge of the seat after. . .   Disconnect thought.

Quote from: expat on December 06, 2011, 08:57:33 AM
Last night (5th Dec 2011) he sounded as though he was reading a script (badly) throughout the entire show.

His crash ending was a lesson is how it's not done.
Comes as no surprise really. Dig into this guy a little deeper and you'll come to find that he's a bit more than just "some dude that got jerked off by a grey".

Gassy Man

Whitley strikes me as a guy with mild autism who nonetheless has figured out a way to turn his paranoiac baloney into a profitable business.  As a host, he certainly seems more sensible than Noory but that's like saying . . . well, there's no real necessity to complete that sentence.

El Kragen

I remember back in the day Whitley's Dreamland would be on the radio before Coast to Coast. I would catch the tail end and it didn't seem that bad....until I listened to a full show. It bordered on un-listenable. His constant blabbering and stammer/stuttering was like fingernails on a chalkboard. It was like he didn't think about what he was going to say, just started talking. The station dropped the show in favor of a repeat of the last two hours of C2C the night before. Whitley took his show to the interwebz and into obscurity.

Digitech

Back in the day, I considered Strieber the second-worst fill in host, with Noory taking the cake.
I did listen to some of the show he recently hosted though. Expat is right that Strieber just doesn't belong on the radio. Maybe he really is worse than Noory.

HAL 9000

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 07, 2011, 10:29:41 AM
Whitley strikes me as a guy with mild autism who nonetheless has figured out a way to turn his paranoiac baloney into a profitable business.

Your analogy is strikingly offensive: this comparison gives those with even mild autism a bad rap.

;)

fysisist

As far as I'm concerned Whitley Strieber is as FOS as Hoagland, Sereda, Corsi, and all the others in the endless circle of clowns that come on C2C on a regular basis.  But at least the man has some legitimate talent.  He has authored a few very popular books, I think he even made a movie (Wolfen or something).  And a movie made about him (Communion?).  What has Noory ever actually done?  Bubkis.  Can you imagine a movie about Noory?  You think the radio show sucks, wait till you see the movie...

Gassy Man

Quote from: HAL 9000 on December 07, 2011, 01:51:36 PM
Your analogy is strikingly offensive: this comparison gives those with even mild autism a bad rap.

;)
You have a good point -- I should have said "strikes me as a guy with mild gonorrhea" to explain his problems . . . A thousand pardons to the autistics of the world.

Scully

I always wonder how Whitley's wife, "Anne Strieber," as he inevitably refers to her, has stayed with him for over 40 years.

It can't be easy living with the victim of Whitley's alleged "unfortunate events." 

Anne Strieber, saint or closet druggie?  :o

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 07, 2011, 04:18:34 PM
A thousand pardons to the autistics of the world.
No need to apologize to them, as they stare into snow globes and endlessly ramble about how miles it is from Des Moines to Jacksonville.

Avi

Streiber is one of those guys who just gloms on to whatever New-Age fad is going strong at the moment. Is there anything in the outre universe he has not experienced? Alien abductions and violations? Temporal lobe anomalies? Visitations by archangels? Mind control by unnamed "intelligence and military" agencies? Wild orgies?  ::)

Unfortunately, he lacks the sheer nutty entertainment value of Quayle or Icke or Jones or Marrs. He comes across as entirely too starchy and repressed. His "revelations" are too much like, "Look, Mommy! Watch me get my freak on!"

fysisist

Quote from: Scully on December 08, 2011, 01:45:27 AM
I always wonder how Whitley's wife, "Anne Strieber," as he inevitably refers to her, has stayed with him for over 40 years.

It can't be easy living with the victim of Whitley's alleged "unfortunate events." 

Anne Strieber, saint or closet druggie?  :o

I don't want to speculate.  But she sounded oh so very old on the radio the other night. 

Tara

Quote from: fysisist on December 08, 2011, 02:20:06 PM
I don't want to speculate.  But she sounded oh so very old on the radio the other night.

I remember that Whitley is Art's age, 66.  I assume that his wife is about the same age. 

expat

Anne provided Whitley with at least one of his mysteries, remember? She went for a piss in the Magic Castle and after she came out of the dunny a woman walked out who wasn't even in there. They got a whole radio show out of that.

Yes, it really was that boring.

Morgus

Quote from: expat on December 08, 2011, 06:15:00 PM
Anne provided Whitley with at least one of his mysteries, remember? She went for a piss in the Magic Castle and after she came out of the dunny a woman walked out who wasn't even in there. They got a whole radio show out of that.
Later Whitley had a show on that and other phenomena they labeled 'timeslips' and discovered/promoted StarFire Tor, and even got Art Bell to have her as a guest a couple years ago.