• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

So many topics, so many posts... I need topic roulette.

Started by Mr. Fidget, July 10, 2014, 02:29:17 PM

Mr. Fidget

This might be a SMF thing, I just thought it was worth mentioning. Since there are so many threads, and so many topics... I think it might be interesting, and thought provoking to have a "random topic button" taking one into the lottery that would be "topic roulette."
   With everyone having their personal bias about what interests them it might be fun to "take a chance" at broadening one's horizons.
   Just an idea, one perhaps already available I have not noticed. I'll go poke around SMF, and report back.
[attachimg=1]
Image by Ralf Roletschek  CC BY-SA 3.0©

Tarbaby

Yep, could be amusing. For someone in the right mood.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on July 10, 2014, 02:29:17 PM
   This might be a SMF thing, I just thought it was worth mentioning. Since there are so many threads, and so many topics... I think it might be interesting, and thought provoking to have a "random topic button" taking one into the lottery that would be "topic roulette."
   With everyone having their personal bias about what interests them it might be fun to "take a chance" at broadening one's horizons.
   Just an idea, one perhaps already available I have not noticed. I'll go poke around SMF, and report back.
[attachimg=1]

i think it's a great idea and it's something i've wanted to do in the past.  however, there's no packaged mod that can be installed to do this, and i don't have the ability to make it happen otherwise.

wr250

Quote from: MV on July 10, 2014, 02:55:47 PM
i think it's a great idea and it's something i've wanted to do in the past.  however, there's no packaged mod that can be installed to do this, and i don't have the ability to make it happen otherwise.

look here . have someone review the code (im not good with php) and add it ,or not as you wish.

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: MV on July 10, 2014, 02:55:47 PM
I swear, with google as my witness, I had no idea.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=373036.0

I see MV has been on this case for some time. I just had the idea while being befuddled by the sheer volume of information available.
   I'll not be making any cliche' "great minds" jokes, but I will speculate that perhaps I tuned into a "time travel" anomaly, a residual of past hopes and wishes within the voluminous data on BG. ;)
Maybe it's time has come!
[attachimg=1]
Source image by Ralf Roletschek  CC BY-SA 3.0
Modified by Mr. Fidget

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on July 10, 2014, 03:38:27 PM

wow.  i forgot that i posted that.  as you can see, all these years later, no movement.

Quote from: wr250 on July 10, 2014, 03:12:21 PM
look here . have someone review the code (im not good with php) and add it ,or not as you wish.

i saw that.  i'd rather it be packaged as a mod.

eddie dean

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on July 10, 2014, 03:38:27 PM

I see MV has been on this case for some time. I just had the idea while being befuddled by the sheer volume of information available.
   I'll not be making any cliche' "great minds" jokes, but I will speculate that perhaps I tuned into a "time travel" anomaly, a residual of past hopes and wishes within the voluminous data on BG. ;)
Maybe it's time has come!
[attachimg=1]
Source image by Ralf Roletschek  CC BY-SA 3.0
Modified by Mr. Fidget

This would be a fun feature, but I don't know how useful or popular it would be. For me, I typically only  visit 5-10 threads I find interesting and a few of the new threads that pop up.
MF, I wouldn't worry about trying to read the entire forum, unless you are looking for a challenge. It would be the Bellgab equivalent to reading War & Peace, Mission Earth & Atlas Shrugged! :)

off topic, but - I think real world roulette wheels are just so damned cool.

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: eddie dean on July 10, 2014, 04:39:40 PM
This would be a fun feature, but I don't know how useful or popular it would be. For me, I typically only  visit 5-10 threads I find interesting and a few of the new threads that pop up.
MF, I wouldn't worry about trying to read the entire forum, unless you are looking for a challenge. It would be the Bellgab equivalent to reading War & Peace, Mission Earth & Atlas Shrugged! :)
It's probably safe to say there would be some "cruft" reading it all. I just find the idea of going to a topic I would/could not choose to be alluring. I know my bias prevents me from seeing the wide view, and a little adventurous trail hopping would be good for me.
   If it materialized someday, I'd use it, just to avoid the crowd at the politics thread door. ;) I did find it ironic that MV had a similar (nearly exactly, aside from the term "roulette") idea years ago.
   MV and I likely have another bizarre commonality; If he grew up in Missouri... catching fireflies as a kid for entertainment, it's kind of like a random thread thing to do... a thing Missouri kids do because they are bored, I was born & bored there.
[attachimg=1]
Photuris lucicrescens

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 10, 2014, 05:37:39 PM
off topic, but - I think real world roulette wheels are just so damned cool.
Alas I must admit, I've never played roulette... russian or otherwise. Since I don't gamble (aside from rollerskating down swimming pool walls) my odd's of getting a spin are slim. Topic roulette, or maybe at a school carnival night will be my big chance. I liked the magnetic trick in that flick, unseen forces... rule the world.

pate

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on July 10, 2014, 02:29:17 PM
[attachimg=1]

Topic Roulette is a fantastic idea!

I wonder what is taking so long?

-p

SpaceMeowMaid

Quote from: pate on August 13, 2020, 03:19:36 AM
Topic Roulette is a fantastic idea!

I wonder what is taking so long?

-p
Well, statistically it would be surprising, but maybe the pin is finding the full chamber every time?