• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Corona Kitty

The old bait & switch I saw it all the way from the desert of el centro.

Nobody

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on December 17, 2016, 02:16:55 PM
I don't have an exact date for when it went off the air on WTWW. In mid July it started to get sporadic(only 2 or 3 shows a week.) I'm guessing Bob Crane signed up for a year as it's cheaper that way. By August it was gone for good. Girl Noory told callers she had no idea what was going on with WTWW, and Ted the owner/operator wouldn't return her emails. So either a) she lied to callers and defamed WTWW in the process or b) the MITD braintrust/C Crane decided to let it slide and not pursue legal action for paid airtime/breach of contract.

GravitySucks mentioned mailing WTWW about MITD a few months ago and not getting a reply either:

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 27, 2016, 04:11:30 PM
I had been listening to the shortwave station when I would spend time up in my woods. They don't even carry it anymore. Usually it is just shut down at, or nearly at midnight eastern now.  I tried contacting WTWW but received no response.

My own guess is that MITD is a sore subject with WTWW and they couldn't (legally) wash their hands of it fast enough after Girl Noory arrived on the scene. 

As an aside, I remember when GN gushed about how "cool" shortwave was earlier this year (probably May-ish) when someone called in and mentioned they were hearing her on WTWW.  This was back when she was urging callers to mention what radio station they were hearing MITD on, a habit that didn't last long because she flushed the affiliates away so quickly.

Anyway, thank you for filling in the gap in my knowledge. :)

Frankly I'm bewildered how C Crane stays in business, let alone has the budget for airtime and ads. There can't be a huge market for radios these days. I'm guessing his target market is the elderly who haven't figured out online shopping

Somehow, C. Crane has always struck me as appealing largely to the more money than sense crowd.

They did build decent radios once upon a time, but that time is long since past, and everything they now offer is made in China with indifferent quality control.  If you're like me, and don't mind paying a premium price for gear provided it will last, paying a premium price for a radio you're likely to get 2-3 years service out of at most holds little appeal.

For geeks who is constantly updating their toys (or old people who don't know any better), however, longevity doesn't really enter into it, and C. Crane is happy to take their money.

... There can't be a huge market for radios junky overpriced crap these days...

fify

Quote from: Xtreme1 on December 15, 2016, 11:43:49 PM
Art was interviewed on QSO today podcast on March 19, 2016 Episode 85 listed under Arts call sign W60BB A different side of Art for sure. Good interview.

http://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/w6obb

As a former Art Bell fan, and surprised at how badly I misjudged his character, I'm still intrigued with this person and listened to the interview.  It was mostly about his career and his ham radio hobby.

Towards the end, when asked about MITD and any future plans, I'm not sure whether I was more surprised there was zero mention of 'COPD', or that he said he was considering a new once-a-week podcast.  No reason to comment further, it's all been said before.

The host said he had a paid subscription to MITD as a Time Traveler.  It was interesting that when Bell basically said he quit MITD because he was shot at, it seemed to me like there was a brief awkward silence, then the host moved on without a follow up.  Didn't sound like he believes the story either.  The part about MITD, and his supposed once a week podcast to come, are from about 46:45 to 49:00

Hope art sues the fuck out of that guy

mikuthing01

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on December 17, 2016, 06:30:08 PM
As a former Art Bell fan, and surprised at how badly I misjudged his character, I'm still intrigued with this person and listened to the interview.  It was mostly about his career and his ham radio hobby.

Towards the end, when asked about MITD and any future plans, I'm not sure whether I was more surprised there was zero mention of 'COPD', or that he said he was considering a new once-a-week podcast.  No reason to comment further, it's all been said before.

The host said he had a paid subscription to MITD as a Time Traveler.  It was interesting that when Bell basically said he quit MITD because he was shot at, it seemed to me like there was a brief awkward silence, then the host moved on without a follow up.  Didn't sound like he believes the story either.  The part about MITD, and his supposed once a week podcast to come, are from about 46:45 to 49:00

He also said he talked to his current wife for a long time before he went to the Philippines, scumbag 

trostol

Quote from: Japanese Food on December 17, 2016, 07:07:35 PM
Hope art sues the fuck out of that guy

who? and i wouldn't put it past him

I still subscribe. Why would Art start a new podcast, when he could help MITD by hosting once a week. I guess he doesn't want to stay up late?

Quote from: nooryisawesome on December 19, 2016, 08:31:48 AM
I still subscribe. Why would Art start a new podcast, when he could help MITD by hosting once a week. I guess he doesn't want to stay up late?

Why does Art say any of the things he says?

ItsOver

...Towards the end, when asked about MITD and any future plans, I'm not sure whether I was more surprised there was zero mention of 'COPD', or that he said he was considering a new once-a-week podcast.  No reason to comment further, it's all been said before...
Heh.  I'm considering running an ultra marathon and going on the road with a senior citizen burlesque show. 

bateman

albrecht

Quote from: bateman on December 19, 2016, 10:42:49 PM

Maybe he can be a guest host for Dark Weekend? If so get the salaries, bumper music 'issues', job responsibilities, producer-stuff, and security (there are stalking, shooting, and even mugging issues to consider!) on paper contracts by a real lawyer!  ;)

Jackstar

It was interesting that when Bell basically said he quit MITD because he was shot at, it seemed to me like there was a brief awkward silence, then the host moved on without a follow up.

"Then The Host Moved On Without A Follow-Up" sounds like a great title for a new radio show podcast.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Jackstar on December 19, 2016, 10:55:25 PM
"Then The Host Moved On Without A Follow-Up" sounds like a great title for a new radio show podcast.

Yeah.. like MV's style of podcasting.. only better
"This is White Crow"... click

Jackstar

Ima let you finish with your microphone shut off.

bateman

Quote from: albrecht on December 19, 2016, 10:54:07 PM
Maybe he can be a guest host for Dark Weekend? If so get the salaries, bumper music 'issues', job responsibilities, producer-stuff, and security (there are stalking, shooting, and even mugging issues to consider!) on paper contracts by a real lawyer!  ;)

Man, I've had enough headaches for one year.

Jackstar

Quote from: bateman on December 19, 2016, 11:19:55 PM
Man, I've had enough headaches for one year.

It's early yet.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: bateman on December 19, 2016, 11:19:55 PM
I've had enough headaches for one year.

Buck up Buckaroo ... things could be worse ..

Eric Ferguson and Kathy Hart, who may well be the most popular and successful morning team in Chicago radio history, are headed for the National Radio Hall of Fame.

Imagine you are Eric and for evermore have to share the award with no talent Kathy..

Oh the humanity

balderdash

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on December 20, 2016, 09:03:10 PM
Art still sulking?

Evidently you are and it seems like you have been since you got all butt hurt over Dark Matter ending. 

ge30542

Art, will you consider  doing a Holiday show for Kwanza?

Quote from: balderdash on December 20, 2016, 09:17:30 PM
Evidently you are and it seems like you have been since you got all butt hurt over Dark Matter ending.

It's ok, we know what happens when someone says 'UFOs' on the air

ge30542

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on December 20, 2016, 10:34:46 PM
It's ok, we know what happens when someone says 'UFOs' on the air
PB, tell me what happens  when  you  say  UFOS on air.

Lunger

I am not sure where this belongs, but I will place it here as I know that Art loved the John Titor line.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Lunger on December 21, 2016, 04:36:02 AM
I am not sure where this belongs, but I will place it here as I know that Art loved the John Titor line.
Looks legit to me.

scottydawg

Butt hurt, ear fooked and one hell of halfassed jackjob! Screwed over by a great charlatan of the airwaves!
"Oh yeah, keep paying, I'll come on every once in awhile and do a show!"
Translation, "I'm outta here you suckers! And Thanks for Supporting my Asian Fever habit!"

ItsOver

"Daddy's coming home for Christmas?  Will he bring crazy Uncle Hoagie, too?"

ge30542

Did someone say...John Titor?  Ya know, he was a "big get" for Heather.

ItsOver

Quote from: ge30542 on December 21, 2016, 09:44:34 AM
So I hear.  Heh, heh.

Lilith

Quote from: ge30542 on December 21, 2016, 09:44:34 AM

How could we ever forget?  ::)