• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 29, 2015, 08:51:06 PM
...     Wrote book reports for Ball Four and The Bronx Zoo in fourth grade. I left out the "beaver shooting" instances and still regret it 30 years later.

One I read after Ball Four was another classic:  Pepitone's "Joe, You Coulda Made Us Proud".

He's re-releasing it for the 40 year anniversary, has an interview in RS

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/joe-pepitone-on-smoking-weed-screwing-with-sinatra-and-seinfeld-20150709

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 19, 2015, 03:16:17 AM
Sooo, you're keeping the Panda?

If he's wearing a Red Sox uniform on August 1, 2016, I'll be stunned. Gotta think they'll sell him for about 30 cents on the dollar this winter.

3OctaveFart

The Red Sox are nestling back into their natural habitat: mediocrity and gestational chaos.

The Henry/Lucchino/Werner golden age was shorter than the reign of Nero, and they probably spent even more than he did.

Eddie Coyle

David Ortiz doing an exaggerated bat flip after a homer, where his team trailed 6-0, and had been outscored 21-1 to that point in the series(a 4 game sweep) is why I'm going to absolutely savor his being kept out of the HOF.

http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=280010383&width=400&height=224&property=mlb

You want to throw at a guy, fine. But if you fail throwing at a guy twice, you don't run your mouth after a guy has turned his back on you running into the dugout. My wife wanted to know why Sanchez was retreating while jawing back at the pitcher, I figure giants are up 9-0 in the ninth and Posey has the night off, no reason to force him to come into the game.

Throwing your gum at someone and later talking big to somebodies back. Real bush league stuff there.

Quote from: ASC on July 22, 2015, 02:28:21 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=280010383&width=400&height=224&property=mlb

You want to throw at a guy, fine. But if you fail throwing at a guy twice, you don't run your mouth after a guy has turned his back on you running into the dugout. My wife wanted to know why Sanchez was retreating while jawing back at the pitcher, I figure giants are up 9-0 in the ninth and Posey has the night off, no reason to force him to come into the game.

Throwing your gum at someone and later talking big to somebodies back. Real bush league stuff there.

What is with the Padres uniforms?  Dodger Blue on white, sure looks familiar..

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 21, 2015, 11:56:53 AM
  David Ortiz doing an exaggerated bat flip after a homer, where his team trailed 6-0, and had been outscored 21-1 to that point in the series(a 4 game sweep) is why I'm going to absolutely savor his being kept out of the HOF.

Puig would fit right in on the Red Sox

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 22, 2015, 02:39:03 PM
Puig would fit right in on the Red Sox

I envision him here soon. He fits perfectly for this increasingly dire situation(that amuses me to no end).

Pablo Sandoval has only 17 more RBI than errors( 30-13)

Quote from: ASC on July 22, 2015, 02:28:21 PM

You want to throw at a guy, fine. But if you fail throwing at a guy twice, you don't run your mouth after a guy has turned his back on you running into the dugout.

Sanchez was leaning his hands out past the box towards the plate. I throw inside on guys like that as well. Inside then a pitch down and away is a common pitch sequence on guys that lean out like that.
They were probably jawing at each other about leaning over the plate as well.
"Stop throwing at me"
"Stop leaning over the plate"
Is a pretty common jawing sequence.

ShayP

Aramis Ramirez returns to where it all started as the Buccos acquire him from the Brewers for a minor leaguer.  8)

I know he's at the very end but this helps a lot.  I remember when he was dealt from the Pirates to the Cubs in 2003.  One of the WORST trades we ever made.  The Pirates traded a recent free agent signing in OF- Kenny Lofton and Ramirez to the Cubs for 2B- Bobby Hill, RH- Mike Bruback, and IF- Jose Hernandez.

It was really painful to be a fan of the Buccos for a long time.   :-[

3OctaveFart

St. Louis has a .636 winning percentage (60-34), on pace to win 105 games. But they probably want no part of the Pirates in October.

ShayP

Quote from: Meatie Pie on July 23, 2015, 04:20:46 PM
St. Louis has a .636 winning percentage (60-34), on pace to win 105 games. But they probably want no part of the Pirates in October.

I don't know how they do it.  You can plug anybody in there as a substitute and they fill in admirably.  You may be right. Yeah the Buccos took 3 of 4 recently from StL, but, then were swept by the Brewers and lose 2 of 3 to the Royals.  Ugh.

3OctaveFart

They are just flush with ML-ready talent up and down their system. You never see the Cardinals scrambling for spare parts at the deadline or dumpster-diving like other teams when somebody gets hurt. And this is after their best prospect was killed in a car accident last off-season.

I watch a lot of baseball on Extra Innings, and the STL-PIT games before the break were the best of the year. The Pirates just seem to know how to give them a game.

Eddie Coyle

One of these joyous years, the misery that infects the Red Sox shall be felt by Kraft/Belicheat and their fugazi fanbase.

I hope it's this one.

Crazy catch in a Chinese baseball game - just saw this on Reddit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDQpRdEUVvQ

albrecht

Quote from: Open Lines Gerry on July 25, 2015, 09:55:41 AM
Crazy catch in a Chinese baseball game - just saw this on Reddit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDQpRdEUVvQ
That was funny and crazy!
He was brought up from the Shoalin Temple minor leagues just this week due to hist mastery of the Mongoose-Cobra Ball-Catching technique.

Eddie Coyle

Todd Frazier and Joc Pederson homered today.

So the two HR derby finalists have upped their combined homers in July to...3.

Eddie Coyle

Endlessly hear about Pedro being "the greatest ever" because he pitched in the 'roid era. Yes, Pedro pitched in the 'roid era. .

His trainer was banned from MLB clubhouses for being a PED dispenser. After Paul fucking Byrd was busted, how anybody could assume pitchers were somehow less inclined to PED use than sluggers is beyond me.

Craig Biggio making the HOF before Jeff Bagwell is a sick joke.

kindly disagree with you on Bagwell. Always saw Bagwell as a DH in the national league forced to play defense.  Biggio played "Up the middle" which are the most important positions: C-2b-CF. Bagwell was a force at the plate, but Biggio's longevity, defense transitions, and getting hit by a lot of pitches make him more deserving imho.

Will remember Pedro most for jerry curl and Don Zimmer. (Don't blame Pedro, the dude was coming at him, bro.)

ShayP

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 27, 2015, 10:44:00 AM
    Craig Biggio making the HOF before Jeff Bagwell is a sick joke.

In hindsight trading Bagwell for 15 games worth of Larry Andersen was a joke.  I kid of course.  None of us has a time machine.  If we did I'd stop the Pirates from first...allowing Jose Bautista to go Rule 5.....secondly, getting him back and then trading him for Robinson Diaz...ugh!  My list of things to change could go on.  ;)

Seriously....I agree.  Can't figure out how Biggio gets in before Bags.  :-\

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ASC on July 27, 2015, 10:53:32 AM
kindly disagree with you on Bagwell. Always saw Bagwell as a DH in the national league forced to play defense.  Biggio played "Up the middle" which are the most important positions: C-2b-CF. Bagwell was a force at the plate, but Biggio's longevity, defense transitions, and getting hit by a lot of pitches make him more deserving imho.

Will remember Pedro most for jerry curl and Don Zimmer. (Don't blame Pedro, the dude was coming at him, bro.)

Key word, longevity. Once he reached 3,000 hits it was obvious he'd make the HOF, but Biggio only was only in top 10 MVP voting twice, opposed to Bagwell's six. Biggio was a very, very good player, but I feel he gets a pass for "not roiding"(Bagwell never caught either), even though his power seemed to come in the same era(1993-2005) where PED use was rampant.

Quote from: ShayP on July 27, 2015, 10:58:22 AM
In hindsight trading Bagwell for 15 games worth of Larry Andersen was a joke.  I kid of course.  None of us has a time machine.  If we did I'd stop the Pirates from first...allowing Jose Bautista to go Rule 5.....secondly, getting him back and then trading him for Robinson Diaz...ugh!  My list of things to change could go on.  ;)

Seriously....I agree.  Can't figure out how Biggio gets in before Bags.  :-\

Bagwell for Andersen was a McGriff for Dale Murray type of disaster. 1990 was a tough summer for Lou Gorman, after his "where would we play Willie McGee" flub, he trades Bagwell with the rationalization of Wade Boggs being in front of him...a Boggs who was getting older and 2 years from leaving anyway.

If the Pirates are truly interested in Napoli/Victorino then I'm stunned. Both are cooked. Napoli would be less than useless in the NL.

ShayP

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 27, 2015, 11:20:09 AM1990 was a tough summer for Lou Gorman, after his "where would we play Willie McGee" flub, he trades Bagwell with the rationalization of Wade Boggs being in front of him...a Boggs who was getting older and 2 years from leaving anyway.

If the Pirates are truly interested in Napoli/Victorino then I'm stunned. Both are cooked. Napoli would be less than useless in the NL.

Seems the Pirates are interested.  Especially Victorino as a platoon partner with Polanco and primary 4th OF.  I liked Victorino for a while.  I'm with you in him being cooked however.

Regarding the McGee flub.  As an armchair GM I would've put Evans on the bench, moved Greenwell to DH, and started McGee in LF.  Or flip-flopped Burks to LF and McGee to CF.   ;D

3OctaveFart

I am a Pedro Martinez fan but he is full of shit on certain things. For instance, he wrote in his book he developed a six-pack in one offseason.

He still bears a grudge against the Dodgers despite being a huge crybaby and malcontent while he was there, and they grew tired of it.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ShayP on July 27, 2015, 11:34:57 AM
Seems the Pirates are interested.  Especially Victorino as a platoon partner with Polanco and primary 4th OF.  I liked Victorino for a while.  I'm with you in him being cooked however.

Regarding the McGee flub.  As an armchair GM I would've put Evans on the bench, moved Greenwell to DH, and started McGee in LF.  Or flip-flopped Burks to LF and McGee to CF.   ;D

Victorino has potential value in the role you describe. He's not a full time player anymore, the injuries alone have diminished him and he's now one of THREE Red Sox players who've eschewed switch hitting in the past year.

Indeed, Dwight Evans was finished and ended his career rather lamely in Baltimore in '91. The '90 Red Sox, like all Sox teams of 1980-2002, had a rotten clubhouse, with Evans being more concerned about Sean McDonough's criticisms than his own decline. McGee, being speed-oriented and a line drive hitter would have been the first such specimen in the Red Sox lineup in ages. No wonder Gorman rejected him.

chefist

Quote from: Meatie Pie on July 23, 2015, 04:20:46 PM

I'm a St Louis fan and have been my whole life...I hate when they are over 100 games in the win column...that means they usually do lousy in the post season...

3OctaveFart

2004 Cardinals went 105-57 and got swept in the World Series. 2006 Cardinals went 83-78 and won the World Series.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: chefist on July 27, 2015, 11:53:42 AM
I'm a St Louis fan and have been my whole life...I hate when they are over 100 games in the win column...that means they usually do lousy in the post season...

Don't have to worry about the team who beat them in the 2004 and 2013 World Series being a problem this year.

chefist

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 27, 2015, 11:56:16 AM
   Don't have to worry about the team who beat them in the 2004 and 2013 World Series being a problem this year.

I remember 2004 like yesterday...after Boston came back to beat the Yankees, I knew we were in trouble...but we did the same in 2011 beating the odds...so what comes around goes around...David Freese is now an immortal...