• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151029 - Neil deGrasse Tyson - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 29, 2015, 04:28:00 PM

GravitySucks

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 10:31:39 PM
This isn't, you know like my opinion or something....it's literally what the head scientists (which Neil is not one of) studying this are saying now. Maybe read a few articles or watch what Michio Kaku has said
You must read a bunch of different stuff than I do. I love ya Rossy, but I don't see anyone credible saying that if it is an aljen megastructure, then it must be a Dyson Sphere.

chefist

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 29, 2015, 10:29:05 PM
What I am saying is it very well could be an alien megastructure. Call it a possible ring of floating interstellar cloud cities. Dump the Dyson sphere dogma.

Imagine swarms of pods that have different functions...some for agriculture...some for manufacturing...some for habitation, research, etc...

JamesMcDonald

I don't think we're going to get a truly clear idea of what that thing is for a long, long time.  Just saying guys.

AppealPlay

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 10:33:41 PM
So, in the past Art would have ghost to ghost and that's it for Halloween. Yes he'd have other spooky type shows, but he never had theme specific weeks. So you're disappointed that he hasn't done something, that he's literally never done before.

im happy to be hearing Neil tonight.

Dude...chill out.  Yeah, I'm a little disappointed but I'm usually disappointed with legit guests.  I love me some crazies.

bateman

I wonder if Hoagie is gonna get angry enough to call in.

GravitySucks

Quote from: TigerLily on October 29, 2015, 10:33:22 PM
Hi Grav. I saw your suggested question for me and I appreciate your faith in my science. But I've never heard of Cruithne or even how to pronounce it (kreen-yeh per Wikipedia) so did read about it but think it would be much better if you called in with that question  :)
Hey sweetie pie, I know about it butvI can't problnounce it either. That's why I was hoping I could get you to ask.

Quote from: Schlyder7 on October 29, 2015, 10:31:12 PM
Could it not be a star that is surrounded by a forming solar system?

That was mostly discounted due to the lack of red light, which should be prominent if there was a lot of dust.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: Rat-eating Hater on October 29, 2015, 10:33:51 PM
umm... because Tyson offers dead, rigid, conventional thinking? Just a guess...
Maybe he IS good for near-Halloween show...

trostol

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 29, 2015, 10:33:41 PM
So, in the past Art would have ghost to ghost and that's it for Halloween. Yes he'd have other spooky type shows, but he never had theme specific weeks. So you're disappointed that he hasn't done something, that he's literally never done before.

im happy to be hearing Neil tonight.

me too..i think i tried to get you to get him on Dick's show lol

SaucyRossy

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on October 29, 2015, 10:35:36 PM
Dude...chill out.  Yeah, I'm a little disappointed but I'm usually disappointed with legit guests.  I love me some crazies.

I'm quite chill, dude, bro.

norland2424

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 29, 2015, 10:35:21 PM
I don't think we're going to get a truly clear idea of what that thing is for a long, long time.  Just saying guys.

this +1000

Quote from: bateman on October 29, 2015, 10:35:51 PM
I wonder if Hoagie is gonna get angry enough to call in.

I hope so! It'd be great if Neil simply responded with a "You should've wished Sandra a Happy Birthday."

zmbabwe

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 29, 2015, 10:31:31 PM
yeah but dude, once again, Redditors do not comprise a tech company.  Believe it or not.   :)
I don't think I said they do. 

JamesMcDonald

Barfly, can you please post a photo of your Melody Maker?  That would be awesome, man!   :D

trostol

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on October 29, 2015, 10:35:36 PM

ya cant have that all the time..then it becomes Dave's show lol

and if all ya like is crazies..you need to listen to RCH

Rocky4228

So I guess yesterday's poll was a one time deal?  Darn.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 29, 2015, 10:36:15 PM
That was mostly discounted due to the lack of red light, which should be prominent if there was a lot of dust.
They do not even have spectral data from it yet. They just know they did not get as much infrared as they would have expected if ut was dust backscatter. They are going to try and schedule more surveys to gather th full spectrum for analysis.

TigerLily

Quote from: malachi.martini on October 29, 2015, 10:31:21 PM
Come now TigerLily, how does this fit in with Dead Air week? It's a good show so far, but I'd much rather be listening to something creepy... There's a special kind of charm listening to Art in late October, this could have waited.
He's making the rounds to publicize his show now. So it's probably now or who knows when

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: zmbabwe on October 29, 2015, 10:37:04 PM
I don't think I said they do.

No, you said redditors are all tech oriented, which they are not.  And then you made a direct link to tech people being libertarian, which they are not.

Quote from: zmbabwe on October 29, 2015, 10:29:42 PM
Companies like uber and airbnb openly flout government regulation.  Tech companies are run by people who love Ayn Rand.

AppealPlay

Quote from: trostol on October 29, 2015, 10:37:43 PM
ya cant have that all the time..then it becomes Dave's show lol

and if all ya like is crazies..you need to listen to RCH

Never again to both. ;D

trostol

Quote from: chefist on October 29, 2015, 10:34:15 PM
Imagine swarms of pods that have different functions...some for agriculture...some for manufacturing...some for habitation, research, etc...

maybe its the quarian fleet