• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Hardest questions to answer

Started by zeebo, March 20, 2017, 02:37:52 AM

zeebo

Which would be the more profound discovery:  That life exists elsewhere in the universe - or - that in all the vast cosmos life only arose once, on this planet, in this solar system, in this galaxy?

whoozit

Quote from: zeebo on March 21, 2017, 03:20:22 PM
Which would be the more profound discovery:  That life exists elsewhere in the universe - or - that in all the vast cosmos life only arose once, on this planet, in this solar system, in this galaxy?
The latter, based purely on statistics, but how would you ever prove it.

zeebo

Are some infinities larger than others?  (Mathematicians actually say yes, some are.  But until they actually count them out for me I'm gonna say no.)

zeebo

As A.I. gets smarter, will it ever attain true consciousness?  It's one thing to master chess, or predict weather patterns, but will a machine ever be able to think creatively, subjectively, emotionally?  Will they ever be capable of, say, writing a Nobel-Prize winning novel?  Or raising children?  Or having a transcendent spiritual experience? 

Quote from: zeebo on March 21, 2017, 06:11:54 PM
As A.I. gets smarter, will it ever attain true consciousness?  It's one thing to master chess, or predict weather patterns, but will a machine ever be able to think creatively, subjectively, emotionally?  Will they ever be capable of, say, writing a Nobel-Prize winning novel?  Or raising children?  Or having a transcendent spiritual experience?

Most humans are incapable of those accomplishments.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: White Crow 🌔🌓🌒🌚 on March 21, 2017, 03:42:27 AM
It would "matter"  if I count all the grains of sand on all the beaches in the world. "One" needs a sense of importance to a "you"

"One"

That would be way too big of a job.   I'd just count half of them and multiply by two.

Kidnostad3

No.

zeebo

GravitySucks

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on March 21, 2017, 06:15:53 PM
That would be way too big of a job.   I'd just count half of them and multiply by two.

Save time. Count one and multiply it times the number of grains. Done.

Rix Gins

As A.I. gets smarter, will it ever attain true consciousness?

Yes, and it will all start with a robot's tear.  (A tear made out of lubricating oil.)

Ciardelo

Quote from: ponyboysunset on March 21, 2017, 11:20:22 AM
I like to think of the universe as infinite. I also like to indulge the string theory regarding other universes. Maybe we don't die and just go to another universe like in The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Who knows?  8)

There are always moist, hot, damp thighs to conquer right?

praise KFC

TigerLily

Quote from: Ciardelo on March 21, 2017, 07:15:47 PM

praise KFC

Don't forget the white meat

TigerLily

Quote from: zeebo on March 21, 2017, 03:20:22 PM

The thought of the universe teeming with life is wondrous and full of possibilities. That we are the only only intelligent life in the vast universe? What a sad cold waste of space. Maybe God took another look at us and scrapped the whole idea.  But the more our scientists learn the more likely seems life may even be found in our own solar system. And what's up with Tabby's Star?

TigerLily

Or kill us frail imperfect humans? Think Forbin Project, Terminator and With Folded Hands

When or even can computing power cross over to self-awareness or a "soul"?

zeebo

Quote from: TigerLily on March 21, 2017, 11:52:45 PM
....the more our scientists learn the more likely seems life may even be found in our own solar system. And what's up with Tabby's Star?

Yes two rather amazing things have happened just in last couple decades or so.  One is the discovery of life in more and more strange places on earth (a.k.a. 'extremophiles'), everywhere from the bottom of the ocean to geothermal pools to frozen ice cores etc. - i.e. the boundaries of what life needs to survive have expanded.  Second is all the new planets we've found and all their incredible variety. 

Personally I think extra-terrestrial life is all but assured.  However whether intelligent life commonly arises, and even if so, if it actually survives, is a much more dubious question in my view.  One of the reasons proposed for our lack of hearing E.T. signals is known as "The Great Filter", which is a theoretical wall that progressing civilizations never pass for some reason.   :-\

Not sure what's up with Tabby's Star.  Last I heard there was some theorizing the light fluctuations could be due to orbiting remains of a planetary collision.

TigerLily

Quote from: zeebo on March 22, 2017, 12:12:24 AM
Yes two rather amazing things have happened just in last couple decades or so.  One is the discovery of life in more and more strange places on earth (a.k.a. 'extremophiles'), everywhere from the bottom of the ocean to geothermal pools to frozen ice cores etc. - i.e. the boundaries of what life needs to survive have expanded.  Second is all the new planets we've found and all their incredible variety. 

Personally I think extra-terrestrial life is all but assured.  However whether intelligent life commonly arises, and even if so, if it actually survives, is a much more dubious question in my view.  One of the reasons proposed for our lack of hearing E.T. signals is known as "The Great Filter", which is a theoretical wall that progressing civilizations never pass for some reason.   :-\

Not sure what's up with Tabby's Star.  Last I heard there was some theorizing the light fluctuations could be due to orbiting remains of a planetary collision.

Oh. That makes sense. Bummer  :( .  I think it's Michio Kaku who supposes that very few civilizations make it to stage 1 or 2 without somehow destroying themselves.  I recently finished a book where the ETs put a filter of sorts around earth to protect it from space mauraders, and well-meaning scientific type ETs who had already screwed around with our genetics

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Ciardelo on March 21, 2017, 07:15:47 PM

praise KFC
Nothing about that sentence is appealing, especially the word moist  ;D

zeebo

If you put a thousand cyborg Noories in front of a thousand microphones along with an inexhaustible supply of cheap red wine & pizza rolls ... would one of them eventually babble out 'Hamlet'?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on March 22, 2017, 09:02:51 PM
If you put a thousand cyborg Noories in front of a thousand microphones along with an inexhaustible supply of cheap red wine & pizza rolls ... would one of them eventually babble out 'Hamlet'?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no_elVGGgW8

Use discernment & step into the deep Woo that might be true:  ;)     

Tie Vesuviusand Quantum Computing in with CERN, and we may end up with this

But what's really concerning is Geospatial - Intelligence, a.k.a. GeoINT.   https://www.level9news.com/geoint-global-surveillance/
In combination with JADE HELM, we have total battlefield domination. What if it's your home that's the designated battlefield ?  >:(

On the lighter side, if this technology is used to protect instead of used to destroy, it could be of untold benefit to humanity.

http://exopolitics.org/jade-helm-offers-strategic-opportunity-to-prevent-alien-artificial-intelligence-takeover/  Research links here.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
" Protesting and taking civil action against Jade Helm is not the most strategic response according to J.D. In a May 16 video presentation, she claims that the best strategy is to “stop the data collection.” That’s why those arguing it’s best to ignore Jade Helm are half right. Not because there’s not something sinister behind the military exercise, but because the AI quantum computers being tested require a realist public response in terms of anger, fear and anxiety. This is precisely the data the AI computers need in order to learn how to eventually “master the human domain.” If Goode is correct, this has happened countless times on other worlds.  "

Shields up & put your condoms on (  -  you guys know the drill. Disable Javascript in the browser & scan before opening. Cut your i-net connection and open off-line in a sandbox with macro's disabled (if you are using MS Word) - S.O.P    ;) (Windoze users; Sandboxie  Older versions) ) if you want the document, PDF:  AFRL-IF-RS-TR-2001-171  www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA398021

As an aside; there are rumors that the Black Knight Satellite has been shot down and that Trump issued a secret memorandum to declassify anti-aging and free-energy patents within the next two to three years. Neither of these rumors are confirmed, and the patent rumor sources back to Cory Goode while the BKS rumor sources back to Snowden. So take them for what they're worth. The reason I mention this s because, if true, the patent releases will boost the living shit out of the economy.
There is so much crap going on between different factions behind the scenes, that it's hard to know what's going to happen next. What a great time to be alive...  .   ;)      ;D

Quote from: zeebo on March 22, 2017, 09:02:51 PM
NO !
But given 10,000 years, one of them might actually mutter a coherent sentence - maybe.  ;)

Jackstar

How does one synthesize a methylated alkaloid?

Jackstar

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on March 24, 2017, 10:24:36 PM
rumors that the Black Knight Satellite has been shot down

I'll put it right back. Cross my hearts.

Jackstar

Quote from: zeebo on March 20, 2017, 02:37:52 AM
Which is harder to imagine ... A finite universe, or an infinite one?  Think about it.

You had me at "harder."

Lilith

So, if we agree that the world is full of millions of people, each with diverse experiences and opinions, is it more likely that one of them is correct, or that all of them are wrong?

TigerLily

Quote from: brig on March 25, 2017, 10:03:42 AM
So, if we agree that the world is full of millions of people, each with diverse experiences and opinions, is it more likely that one of them is correct

The Dalai Lama

Quoteor that all of them are wrong?

Everyone else

Hardest question to answer? Every man knows this. "do these jeans/skirt/yoga pants/dress make my butt look big?"

TigerLily

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 25, 2017, 11:42:13 AM
Hardest question to answer? Every man knows this. "do these jeans/skirt/yoga pants/dress make my butt look big?"

Especially if you are not sure if the correct answer is "yes" or "no"

Quote from: TigerLily on March 25, 2017, 12:04:11 PM
Especially if you are not sure if the correct answer is "yes" or "no"

Wow! Hahaha

I think I`ll stick with my dream girl. Class and elegance. *swoon*