• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

theory about Mel''s Hole

Started by henge0stone, August 28, 2014, 05:29:53 PM

henge0stone

Ok apparently there was no Mel Water's listed as a property owner anywhere near Ellensburg.

http://www.dailyrecordnews.com/top_story/getting-to-the-bottom-of-mel-s-hole/article_d72b6a68-7ac2-11e1-b3ce-001a4bcf887a.html

So where does this leave us? I think he was clearly lying about his property but if you notice all of the crazy stories he tells on the air, the dog Resurrection, Stonehenge columns, light coming from the hole  were all stuff that he heard from neighbors. Lots of people in the area tell stories of a hole long before mel came on. Several faxes Art received confirm this.

So what was any of it true? Like it says in the article I think Mel found that hole mentioned or one like it and collected stories from neighbors and told them on the air. I think he got carried away and invented the whole second hole story because its kinda crazy from that point on.

I still think Mel's hole is a great story.   

jazmunda

The first night of Mel's Hole was great radio and really typified what C2CAM was at the height of Art's reign. Art took a fax that a listener sent in and turned it in to a memorable classic call that is fondly remembered by all fans. Whether it was total BS or not (which it was) it was a tale told and extracted by Art extremely well. George would never have been able to take this type of tale and run with it and turn it in to a legend. Having said all that and having recently heard it and all the follow ups. The story quickly jumped the shark and I think Mel got in over his head and like many Hollywood tales the sequel could never match the original.

WhiteCrow

Recently I hired a couple of young teenage neighborhood boys to help me sand our wooden deck. Played all the Mel's Hole mp3 files as we worked. The youngsters were 'buying' the story hook line and sinker. One had relatives in Washington State and tried to call them to find out if they knew anything about the hole.

I also play other Art's classics (Bugs, ghost to ghost etc) around the camp fire for all ages, everyone enjoys them immensely.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: jazmunda on August 28, 2014, 05:39:45 PM
Having said all that and having recently heard it and all the follow ups. The story quickly jumped the shark and I think Mel got in over his head and like many Hollywood tales the sequel could never match the original.

Respectfully disagree... The last bits with the crazy basque, seal with human eyes and explaining how the 'magic' ice made the hole was very enjoyable.

I don't remember the date or subject, but Mel was briefly on Art's show using a different name, a year or so before the start of the Mel's Hole saga. Art cut him short before he got a chance to say much.

I know I'm weird... But it's on my bucket list to find out who Mel real is. Although it's kind of cool that his true identity is still unknown.

jazmunda

Quote from: WhiteCrow on August 28, 2014, 06:59:01 PM
Respectfully disagree... The last bits with the crazy basque, seal with human eyes and explaining how the 'magic' ice made the hole was very enjoyable.

I don't remember the date or subject, but Mel was briefly on Art's show using a different name, a year or so before the start of the Mel's Hole saga. Art cut him short before he got a chance to say much.

I know I'm weird... But it's on my bucket list to find out who Mel real is. Although it's kind of cool that his true identity is still unknown.

I agree that it was enjoyable from a B-grade movie guilty pleasure perspective but it jumped the shark from being a "believable/it could be true if you're willing to suspend a little bit of belief" story to a "hey bud I think you better put the crack pipe down" kinda story.

It seemed plausible when it was just a seemingly bottomless pit that animals were afraid of being near. Then it became a three ringed circus act. Then he got a bazillion dollars from the government, moved to Australia, spent it all and then came back and found another bottomless pit. What are the odds?

henge0stone

Quote from: jazmunda on August 28, 2014, 07:07:36 PM
I agree that it was enjoyable from a B-grade movie guilty pleasure perspective but it jumped the shark from being a "believable/it could be true if you're willing to suspend a little bit of belief" story to a "hey bud I think you better put the crack pipe down" kinda story.

It seemed plausible when it was just a seemingly bottomless pit that animals were afraid of being near. Then it became a three ringed circus act. Then he got a bazillion dollars from the government, moved to Australia, spent it all and then came back and found another bottomless pit. What are the odds?

Thats kind of where I'm at. I still think there might be a hole somewhere that is insanely deep, and certainly there were stories about it before Mel called. The second hole was clearly fake and the burning ice. It just went out of control.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: henge0stone on August 28, 2014, 07:25:49 PM
Thats kind of where I'm at. I still think there might be a hole somewhere that is insanely deep, and certainly there were stories about it before Mel called. The second hole was clearly fake and the burning ice. It just went out of control.

I guess you guys have a different perspective than I do about Art's shows.
Its like professional wrestling, all fake from start to finish,  but still can enjoy the great showmanship.

albrecht

I liked when Mel blew the millions the government gave him for the hole on a Wallyabe rescue, drink, and martial issues and also was abducted/drugged while, I guess, hitchhiking out west with truckers. "They" stole his belt-buckle even- which was proof of a Roosevelt dime minted when Roosevelt was ALIVE and a mysterious government mint mark that has never been seen before.

I think Ghostwolf or Red Elk (or maybe both) also weighed in on the "hole" issues. Which one was it that levitated on air? Which is awesome because it is RADIO! But still levitation is impressive in the theatre of the mind.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: jazmunda on August 28, 2014, 07:07:36 PM
Then he got a bazillion dollars from the government, moved to Australia, spent it all

And I still worry about all those orphaned wombats that were turned lose into the wilds.

jazmunda

Quote from: WhiteCrow on August 28, 2014, 07:34:11 PM
I guess you guys have a different perspective than I do about Art's shows.
Its like professional wrestling, all fake from start to finish,  but still can enjoy the great showmanship.

I always subscribe to "It's the tale, not he who tells it" mindset when I listen to Art.

I love the Mel's hole story just as I love the Mad Man Marcum, Bugs, Alien in the Freezer & The Captured Spirit stories. Do I believe them? Hell no. Could I listen to those stories and those like them all day long. Hells yeah!

jazmunda

Quote from: WhiteCrow on August 28, 2014, 07:40:57 PM
And I still worry about all those orphaned wombats that were turned lose into the wilds.

Our ecosystem has never recovered.

albrecht

Quote from: jazmunda on August 28, 2014, 07:41:58 PM
I always subscribe to "It's the tale, not he who tells it" mindset when I listen to Art.

I said that I love the Mel's hole story just as I love the Mad Man Marcum, Bugs, Alien in the Freezer & The Captured Spirit stories. Do I believe them? Hell no. Could I listen to those stories and those like them all day long. Hells yeah!
And the randomness. And ability to turn callers into guests. Many of the best "classic" guests and shows were, at least initially, callers/faxers. Sure, Art did great legit work also (interviews with Carlin, Willie, Merle, Crystal Gayle, etc) but it was his ability to find good callers/guests and the repartee with them. Not buying it wholesale (but sometimes would), asking questions, etc. That is what is missing now. We just get "professional" guests, usually hawking a product or book, and no questions. And callers are screened and it seems the same callers over-and-over.

jazmunda

Quote from: albrecht on August 28, 2014, 07:47:24 PM
And the randomness. And ability to turn callers into guests. Many of the best "classic" guests and shows were, at least initially, callers/faxers. Sure, Art did great legit work also (interviews with Carlin, Willie, Merle, Crystal Gayle, etc) but it was his ability to find good callers/guests and the repartee with them. Not buying it wholesale (but sometimes would), asking questions, etc. That is what is missing now. We just get "professional" guests, usually hawking a product or book, and no questions. And callers are screened and it seems the same callers over-and-over.

Another thing I loved about Art was that he would be happy for a guest to hawk his wares but would never accept "it's in my book" as an answer.

Khameleon808

Quote from: jazmunda on August 28, 2014, 07:52:57 PM
Another thing I loved about Art was that he would be happy for a guest to hawk his wares but would never accept "it's in my book" as an answer.

I remember one Guest he had where he did actually try and use that line. He used it on someone who called in who was disagreeing with all of the stuff he was saying.  And when he tried to usher him back to purchase his book, the caller was all "I am not gonna buy your book"  Damn, I wish I can remember the guest name.  But it was the only time I've ever heard him blatantly dodge a question by recommending buying his book.  Art put an end to that shit pretty quick.

My theory is that Jazmunda is Mel, transformed by the powers of the hole.

jazmunda

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on August 30, 2014, 08:13:12 AM
My theory is that Jazmunda is Mel, transformed by the powers of the hole.

Bwahahahahaha. And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids.

albrecht

Quote from: jazmunda on August 30, 2014, 08:16:53 AM
Bwahahahahaha. And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids.
as a former shark fisherman who made, and lost, millions from your hole can you confirm the "old shark fisherman's trick of using lifesaver candy", Jazmunda Mel?

henge0stone

Anyone else wonder why the map in ellensburg was whited out? Its really the only thing close to "proof" that has ever come out of these crazy stories.

albrecht

Quote from: henge0stone on August 30, 2014, 03:12:47 PM
Anyone else wonder why the map in ellensburg was whited out? Its really the only thing close to "proof" that has ever come out of these crazy stories.
Is it still "whited out"? I don't recall the precise location mentioned but I looked up Ellensburg, WA on googlemaps and don't see anything suspicious. But I do recall callers, and Art, saying that some portion was. I also have talked to some fisherman and although not "shark fishermen" nobody has heard of the "lifesavers trick."

jazmunda

The lifesavers trick was the most credible thing about the story. ;)

jazmunda

I also found it odd that Ellensburg had the whited out spot on the map (a terraserver map which was a precursor to google maps) but not conclusive proof. I imagine that instead of whiting out spots today they could just replace it with a different topography. Hole? What hole? All there is here is some trees.

albrecht

Quote from: jazmunda on August 30, 2014, 09:10:55 PM
The lifesavers trick was the most credible thing about the story. ;)
I always thought the "missing time" and waking uo in the Mission District of San Fran with a missing belt buckle whilst hitchhiking with truckers was the most believable.

jazmunda

I always thought that the story of it being a bottomless pit sounded credible when he talked about lowering the fishing wire which was weighted. I think the story started unravelling when a guy called or faxed in saying that after a certain amount of fishing wire was lowered in it would feel like it was still being lowered when in actual fact it might have already hit the bottom and it's own weight was making it appear as if it was still being lowered.

b_dubb

"hey mel i have some theories about your hole" - said no one ever

jazmunda

Quote from: b_dubb on August 31, 2014, 03:06:44 PM
"hey mel i have some theories about your hole" - said no one ever

Perhaps his proctologist.

henge0stone

Quote from: jazmunda on August 31, 2014, 02:05:56 AM
I always thought that the story of it being a bottomless pit sounded credible when he talked about lowering the fishing wire which was weighted. I think the story started unravelling when a guy called or faxed in saying that after a certain amount of fishing wire was lowered in it would feel like it was still being lowered when in actual fact it might have already hit the bottom and it's own weight was making it appear as if it was still being lowered.

Yeah I agree. There was a hole nearish to ellensburgh (as the article I posted showed, it was an old mine shaft) but it was not owned by anyone. If Mel but any line into the hole that's probably what happened, the line got weighed down. At first he was like OMG!! Then he heard this and was like crap there goes my story and invented the military taking his property.