• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

William R. Forstchen

Started by yumyumtree, July 12, 2014, 12:47:23 PM

yumyumtree

This guest was on C to C a few nights ago, talking about EMP attacks. I checked this his novel, One Second After, out of the Everett library. It lives up to the hype. It truly is one if the scariest books Ive ever read, and I read a lot.

The argument seems to be not now serious the EMP episode would be, everybody agrees on that, but how likely it is.

What's different about this and other disasters, in the novel, anyway, is its nationwide. During Katrina, 9-11, etc people knew that help was arriving sooner or later. Not for these people. The RedCross, National Guard, whatever, was in the same position they were--no communication, very little transportation. Nationwide shutdowns of communication and transportation is what makes this different.

albrecht

Quote from: yumyumtree on July 12, 2014, 12:47:23 PM
This guest was on C to C a few nights ago, talking about EMP attacks. I checked this his novel, One Second After, out of the Everett library. It lives up to the hype. It truly is one if the scariest books Ive ever read, and I read a lot.

The argument seems to be not now serious the EMP episode would be, everybody agrees on that, but how likely it is.

What's different about this and other disasters, in the novel, anyway, is its nationwide. During Katrina, 9-11, etc people knew that help was arriving sooner or later. Not for these people. The RedCross, National Guard, whatever, was in the same position they were--no communication, very little transportation. Nationwide shutdowns of communication and transportation is what makes this different.
Yeah, I checked it out at the library when he was a guest I guess a year or so ago. Not literature but a fun, scary novel. That is the big problem with the EMP, with most scenarios, it is not simply a local, or even state level, event but one could take out the continent. The home-built ones (plans on the internet, or at least were. Hopefully they are now fake ones to snare potential criminals or terrorists) would be smaller but I think could take out a city.

I seem to recall a guest saying that the military has already "hardened" much of its communications from EMP threats. So there would be some communications but doubt that would help out the civilians much considering the the amount of inventory, food, etc we actually have on shelves these days and once power and water systems go dark. And I hope we have "hardened" our nuclear facilities and their back-up diesel generators.

ziznak

This show was pretty good.  besides the fact that I kept hearing his name as "foreskin" which made me giggle every minute or so Jorchy's little crusade to save the world had me almost crying with laughter.  Definitely a classhick coascht to coascht!