• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard C. Hoagland

Started by Richard C. Hoagland, July 20, 2008, 07:01:42 PM

Morgus

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/blast-from-the-past-july-2009/

Interestingly, c2c's free audio clips this week include Hoagland:
July 09, 2015 This week our two free audio clips are from six years ago--
July 2009, when Richard C. Hoagland contended that NASA is actually the originator of Apollo Moon landing hoax theories, and they co-opted a fake conspiracy to supplant the real conspiracy- that there are ancient artifacts on the moon

astroguy

Quote from: Morgus on July 10, 2015, 04:30:31 PMDate:Thursday - July  9, 2015Host:George NooryIn the first half, space historian and science journalist Robert Zimmerman discussed the many events happening in space right now including Rosetta and Philae at Comet 67P (pictured), Dawn at Ceres, New Horizons approaching Pluto, the rovers and orbiters at Mars, and what beckons for the future. After the Pluto flyby, "all the major asteroids, comets...and every planet and their moons will have been looked at up close by the human race, and that is a remarkable thing to think about," as it's only been around 60 years since we began the Space Age, he remarked. And every one of these objects has unique attributes, he added.  The so-called "whale" feature seen on Plutoâ€"a large dark area on the equator that covers most of one hemisphere, and a series of large, black spots resemble the dark areas on asteroids, which Pluto may have more in common with than a typical planet, he surmised. The Dawn probe is the first craft to visit two different asteroids-- orbiting Vesta for a year, before using its ion engine to travel on to Ceres, which seems to have a kind of volcanic ice that may function like lava, he detailed. Zimmerman named Saturn's giant moon Titan as one of the most fascinating objects in our solar system. It has lakes of methane, and intense storms, with seasons that last around seven years.
Yeah, I saw that and just got it.  But come on, it's 5 days before the thing and an entire weekend.  It deserves something, even from Noory, on the night of.

Jackstar

Quote from: astroguy on July 10, 2015, 06:16:16 PM
It deserves something, even from Noory, on the night of.

".-. . -- . -- -... . .-. / - --- / -... ..- -.-- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -.-. .- .-. -. .. ...- --- .-. .- .-.-.- / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -. / - .... .-. --- .-- / .. - / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- ..-. - . .-. / .. ..-. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .- -. - / .. / -.. --- / -. --- - / -.-. .- .-. . / .. ..-. / -.-- --- ..- / .-.. .. ...- . / --- .-. / -.. .. . .-.-.- / - .... .- - .----. ... / -... . . / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .... -.-- -....- -....- -... ..- -.-- / -... ..- -.-- / -... ..- -.--"

astroguy

Assuming that is, I don't know Morse Code.

Jackstar

Quote from: astroguy on July 10, 2015, 06:54:31 PM
Assuming that is, I don't know Morse Code.

I'll see your ignorance with my "I don't know HTML" and raise you with a "and yet here we are."

Speaking of such things, how many of you are familiar with the guy who broke the first trans-Atlantic telegraph cable? He was a piece of work, tell you what. I think I remember RCH telling this story one time, but that might have been a fever dream. I'm getting the nightsweats already just thinking about it. Someone else should ask him.

-- .- -.- . / .. - / ... ---

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Morgus on July 10, 2015, 04:30:31 PM
Date:Thursday - July  9, 2015
Host:George Noory
In the first half, space historian and science journalist Robert Zimmerman discussed the many events happening in space right now including Rosetta and Philae at Comet 67P (pictured), Dawn at Ceres, New Horizons approaching Pluto, the rovers and orbiters at Mars, and what beckons for the future. After the Pluto flyby, "all the major asteroids, comets...and every planet and their moons will have been looked at up close by the human race, and that is a remarkable thing to think about," as it's only been around 60 years since we began the Space Age, he remarked. And every one of these objects has unique attributes, he added.
The so-called "whale" feature seen on Plutoâ€"a large dark area on the equator that covers most of one hemisphere, and a series of large, black spots resemble the dark areas on asteroids, which Pluto may have more in common with than a typical planet, he surmised. The Dawn probe is the first craft to visit two different asteroids-- orbiting Vesta for a year, before using its ion engine to travel on to Ceres, which seems to have a kind of volcanic ice that may function like lava, he detailed. Zimmerman named Saturn's giant moon Titan as one of the most fascinating objects in our solar system. It has lakes of methane, and intense storms, with seasons that last around seven years.

So did the show focus on actual science journalism and not faces on mars and crystal castles on the moon? If it did then that's a big step in the right direction, IMO.

Juan Cena

Listening to Bateman's interview with RCH, where he's claiming the Pluto-Charon system was set up by his Type II civilization.

So a Type II civilization can futz around with the orbits of planets, but can't terraform the moon?

Some people are always the second choice.

henge0stone

Quote from: HorrorReporter on July 12, 2015, 04:45:11 AM
Some people are always the second choice.

lol you should paste art's face to the girl who was his first choice.

K_Dubb

Just finished listening to Hoagie's interview.  First, great interview, Bateman.  I haven't heard Hoagie that energized for years, and you kept him on track gently -- that takes skill.  What a contract to Dave's ham-handed bullying.  Second, RCH is a nut but a well-read, intelligent one with a genuine love for NASA and space technology; there are some real space-nerd things in what he says.  And he has an admirable turn of phrase once in a while.  He's like the kooky guy that you look forward to seeing once in a while at the bar, and even when he's not there you talk about him.  I look forward to his show immensely.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 12, 2015, 11:48:08 AM
Just finished listening to Hoagie's interview.  First, great interview, Bateman.  I haven't heard Hoagie that energized for years, and you kept him on track gently -- that takes skill.  What a contract to Dave's ham-handed bullying.  Second, RCH is a nut but a well-read, intelligent one with a genuine love for NASA and space technology; there are some real space-nerd things in what he says.  And he has an admirable turn of phrase once in a while.  He's like the kooky guy that you look forward to seeing once in a while at the bar, and even when he's not there you talk about him.  I look forward to his show immensely.

You must have heard a different interview to me. Hoagland was his usual wind up toy self trotting out his usual bollox, and not taken to task about any of it.

Lilith

Batemans interview of Hoagie was WONDERFUL!!  I laughed, I cried lol's.  Bateman has it uploaded to his soundcloud here so you can relisten, or listen if you haven't heard it yet.

https://soundcloud.com/darkcityfm/richard-c-hoagland-out-at-coast-in-at-dark-matter-network

Listening to the first half of the interview, there were a couple items of note.

Describing a conversation he had with Art Bell, he quoted Art as referring to him as 'Dick'.  A term of endearment between old friends, one that truly fits

The other thing was him referring to his delusions as his 'work'.  Perhaps what he does technically meets the dictionary definition, but to my mind in order for something to be 'work' there needs to be some useful end result, or at least have that as a goal

Lilith

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 12, 2015, 12:01:44 PM

..Hoagland was his usual wind up toy self trotting out his usual bollox,...

Agreed.  Thats the part that made me laugh .

K_Dubb

You must have heard a different interview to me. Hoagland was his usual wind up toy self trotting out his usual bollox, and not taken to task about any of it.

Nah just not interested in conflict or debate.  When I used to go out a lot more, we'd find odd-but-interesting types at the bar and do what you say, wind them up and let them go.  Maybe have a private laugh about it later.  That's all it is.

Lilith

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 12, 2015, 12:08:32 PM
Listening to the first half of the interview, there were a couple items of note.

Describing a conversation he had with Art Bell, he quoted Art as referring to him as 'Dick'.  A term of endearment between old friends, and it truly fits

The other thing was him referring to his delusions as his 'work'.  Perhaps what he does technically meets the definition, but to my mind in order for something to be 'work' there needs to be some useful end result

These reasons you share, are the reasons I continue, as in the past, to see Hoagie as more of a comedian than a scientist.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 12, 2015, 12:10:42 PM
Nah just not interested in conflict or debate.  When I used to go out a lot more, we'd find odd-but-interesting types at the bar and do what you say, wind them up and let them go.  Maybe have a private laugh about it later.  That's all it is.

I don't have a problem per se with Hoagland and the other pseudo 'scientists' trotting it out; but I do (and others) have a problem with it being presented as having any connection with science and/or reality. If it was presented with the introduction "Once upon a time..." and concluded with "And that is our fairy story for today", it would be based on reality; but to present it as otherwise is disingenuous bullshit and gives credibility to the snake oil salesmen and women pandering to the immature and gullible.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 12, 2015, 12:08:32 PM
The other thing was him referring to his delusions as his 'work'.  Perhaps what he does technically meets the dictionary definition, but to my mind in order for something to be 'work' there needs to be some useful end result, or at least have that as a goal

I don't think you've been keeping up with the Falkie thread.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 12, 2015, 12:16:02 PM

I don't have a problem per se with Hoagland and the other pseudo 'scientists' trotting it out; but I do (and others) have a problem with it being presented as having any connection with science and/or reality. If it was presented with the introduction "Once upon a time..." and concluded with "And that is our fairy story for today", it would be based on reality; but to present it as otherwise is disingenuous bullshit and gives credibility to the snake oil salesmen and women pandering to the immature and gullible.

Understood, but I think we all get it.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 12, 2015, 12:16:02 PM

Well said.

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 12, 2015, 11:48:08 AM
He's like the kooky guy that you look forward to seeing once in a while at the bar, and even when he's not there you talk about him.
I am envious of his hair. Seriously, I dig it.

K_Dubb

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on July 12, 2015, 12:30:43 PM
I am envious of his hair. Seriously, I dig it.

Me too, and those western-style jackets he favors, with the suede yokes and elbow patches.  He is a style icon.  I hope he has an updated glamor shot for his Dark Matter site.

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 12, 2015, 12:41:14 PM
Me too, and those western-style jackets he favors, with the suede yokes and elbow patches.  He is a style icon.  I hope he has an updated glamor shot for his Dark Matter site.
RCH does Playgirl...

K_Dubb

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on July 12, 2015, 12:49:00 PM
RCH does Playgirl...

Haha nothing but a bolo.  I see him more as Hef with his space babes:

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 12, 2015, 12:54:45 PM
Haha nothing but a bolo.  I see him more as Hef with his space babes:
LOL. You ever think he comes here and lurks? He must hate me.

bateman

No one is confusing Richard Hoagland with Neil deGrasse Tyson. I think most people view it as "Story Time with Richard" at this point.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 12, 2015, 12:41:14 PM

Excellant! Art and Redacted could dress up in western garb and join Hoagie in a publicity photo shoot.
Guns a blaze'in The Three Amigos

WhiteCrow

Quote from: bateman on July 12, 2015, 01:07:58 PM
No one is confusing Richard Hoagland with Neil deGrasse Tyson. I think most people view it as "Story Time with Richard" at this point.

Don't know why people single Hoagie out for his brand of paranormal nonsense and give others a pass.
While actually I do know why, your somewhat safe from severe criticism if stick mostly to quoting anecdotal nonsense of others,  rather developing your own nonsense theories