• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

Sardondi

Okay, this si last threadjacking I'm doing, but you said "Jennifer Connelly". Oh.My. I go weak in the knees at the name. Those eyes. Those eyebrows. Okay, who am I kidding? Those boobs. Mulholland Falls is worthy of playing over and over and over just for that little 2-minute stretch of cinematic ecstasy. But I fear the crazy girl had a...a...breast reduction some years ago. DEAR GOD, SHE MUTILATED HERSELF! Oh, the pain of contemplation of what it was she did. It hurts, it just hurts so much.....

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on September 21, 2012, 01:25:04 AM
Okay, this si last threadjacking I'm doing, but you said "Jennifer Connelly". Oh.My. I go weak in the knees at the name. Those eyes. Those eyebrows. Okay, who am I kidding? Those boobs. Mulholland Falls is worthy of playing over and over and over just for that little 2-minute stretch of cinematic ecstasy. But I fear the crazy girl had a...a...breast reduction some years ago. DEAR GOD, SHE MUTILATED HERSELF! Oh, the pain of contemplation of what it was she did. It hurts, it just hurts so much.....

Beautiful women who are desperate to be regarded as"Serious Actresses" always engage in some form of needless defilement to ensure an Oscar nod in the future. Typical Hollyweird logic.

I've been taken with her since she was in Once Upon a Time in America when she was 13...now, it's OK FOR ME to utter such a thing, because her birth preceded mine by nearly five years. And The Hot Spot in 1990 was worth enduring because of her scenes by the lake.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 21, 2012, 01:49:35 AM
           Beautiful women who are desperate to be regarded as"Serious Actresses" always engage in some form of needless defilement to ensure an Oscar nod in the future. Typical Hollyweird logic.

I've been taken with her since she was in Once Upon a Time in America when she was 13...now, it's OK FOR ME to utter such a thing, because her birth preceded mine by nearly five years. And The Hot Spot in 1990 was worth enduring because of her scenes by the lake.
What?! I didn't know she was in that. An IMDB check confirms that she was playing a young version (?!) of the 23yo (and embarrassingly badly cast) Elizabeth McGovern (Jeez, that cheesy "old" makeup - MY EYES!!!)

Morgus

Andy Williams, 'Moon River' Singer, Dies at 84

Quote from: Morgus on September 26, 2012, 01:53:27 PM
Andy Williams, 'Moon River' Singer, Dies at 84

What a great old song.

[attachimg=1]

Sardondi

For years he did an annual Christmas show. In the days of three networks and PBS, it usually got good ratings.

I also remember he was married for years to French actress Claudine Longet (sp?), but she divorced him to take up with US Olympic skier Spider Sabich...whom she shot to death a few years later, but pretty much beat the rap. Seems SNL did a pretty good skit about it.

Sardondi

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 26, 2012, 02:08:31 PM
What a great old song.

[attachimg=1]

Yes it was definitely Andy's defining song which established him in the Tin Pan Alley pantheon forever....but he never even charted with it. The album it was on hit #3 in 1962, but for some reason his record company, Columbia, hated "Moon River" and didn't issue it as a single, even though that's how it was done in those days. His biggest single was "Can't Get Used To Loving You",

Andy Williams - Can't Get Used To Losing You

Its hook-laden progression of pizzicato strings is so catchy and perky, well, by golly, you can't listen to it just once. And so it was with America, as it rose to #2 on Billboard Hot 100 and #1 on Billboard Easy Listening as well as Cashbox, in the last year before the charts were permanently changed by The Beatles, and crooners like Andy Williams were relegated to TV and "easy listening" radio stations aimed at the crowd who fought in the The Big One.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Sardondi on September 27, 2012, 05:54:59 AM
Yes it was definitely Andy's defining song which established him in the Tin Pan Alley pantheon forever....but he never even charted with it. The album it was on hit #3 in 1962, but for some reason his record company, Columbia, hated "Moon River" and didn't issue it as a single, even though that's how it was done in those days. His biggest single was "Can't Get Used To Loving You",

Andy Williams - Can't Get Used To Losing You

Its hook-laden progression of pizzicato strings is so catchy and perky, well, by golly, you can't listen to it just once. And so it was with America, as it rose to #2 on Billboard Hot 100 and #1 on Billboard Easy Listening as well as Cashbox, in the last year before the charts were permanently changed by The Beatles, and crooners like Andy Williams were relegated to TV and "easy listening" radio stations aimed at the crowd who fought in the The Big One.

seems like the picked strings from this tune have been sampled into other songs over the years, but i'm not able to recall which.

Katy Perry's ex boyfriend Johnny Lewis dead after murdering 81-year-old land lady and killing her cat?

What

a

fucking

prick.

Displayed "super human strength."

I wish I could have been there to cave in his super human trachea.  Jesus fucking Christ.  I just heard about this. What a gut bag waste of air he was.

If only he had survived the jump and lived completely paralyzed. That would have been oxygen put to good use at that point.

I was in a good non-emotional mood until now. 

That's what happens if the TV is on in the background while I am catching up on thread reading.

(I could process this better if he had killed Katy, since I absolutely cannot stand her. She believes herself to be some young Liz Taylor but I find her repulsive.)

*and referencing Eddie's post below, I had never heard of this guy either. What really surprises me is that I am STILL somehow caught off guard and ~surprised~ by some weird event like this.  You just can't see it coming. Then he gets to depart via "suicide by asphalt." The fucker. I haven't researched it at all, which might reveal he wasn't trying to commit suicide, but trying to fly or perform an impressive landing. My blood's at a steady boil imagining his actions, and I do wish I had been there just as he was flipping out. FUCK HIM.

[attachimg=1]

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 28, 2012, 12:43:13 AM
Kathy Perry's ex boyfriend Johnny Lewis dead after murdering 81-year-old land lady and killing her cat?

What

a

fucking

prick.

Displayed "super human strength."

I wish I could have been there to cave in his super human trachea.  Jesus fucking Christ.  I just heard about this. What a dick.

If only he had survived the jump and lived completely paralyzed.

I was in a good non-emotional mood until now. 

That's what happens if the TV is on in the background while I am catching up on thread reading.

(I could process this better if he had killed Katy, since I absolutely cannot stand her.)

[attachimg=1]

Hear, Hear! I'd never heard of this scumbag until these actions, because I don't watch TV shows until they've been off the air for at least 5 years(my Cooperstown rule of viewing) and I'll never watch a "biker show" anyway and I'm hoping Katy Perry has at least one Robert Bardo type fan out there.

Sardondi

Alex Karras, All-Pro NFL defensive tackle from the 1960's, dies at 77. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/sports/football/alex-karras-nfl-lineman-and-actor-dies-at-77.html?_r=0

Most folks might remember him as "Mongo" in Blazing Saddles or from the tv show Webster, but if you're 50 or older and followed football as a kid, you remember him as an absolute terror of a defensive tackle for the Detroit Lions. He played college ball for the University of Iowa, and won the prestigious Outland Trophy for best lineman of 1957. Karras was a rarity for his day, playing at a very muscular 270 pounds, which was considered outsized in the days before steroids were known, and before many teams even believed in weight training. He was an excellent pass rusher and had plenty of quarterback sacks even though he played in the middle of the line, where the press of bodies makes it generally harder to get to the QB.

Although he had strength and used it, Karras was particularly nimble and light on his feet, so much so that he was described by teammates as "dainty" in his movements on the playing field. While he could head slap and bull rush with the best, he would also use his agility in pass rushing. Karras had an unusual kind of small hopping move which he successfully used in getting past offensive linemen. Jerry Kramer, the famous Green Bay Packer right guard and 5-time All Pro, said that there were only two defensive tackles in the NFL whom he absolutely hated playing against because of how good they were: the 290-pounds man mountain that was 14-time All Pro LA Ram Merlin Olsen; and Alex Karras. Kramer wrote of how he used to lie awake at nights worrying about having to play against Karras, terrified that he couldn't find a way to stop the odd hop-skip move Karras used in his pass rush. 

But Karras was memorable for more than his playing. He had a big, extroverted personality and was the center of fun in any group. He was a central character in George Plimpton's Paper Lion, in spite of the fact that he wasn't in training camp the years Plimpton was attached to the Detroit Lions. Still it seemed to Plimpton that the Lions all had some story about the crazy antics of Karras, whose larger-than-life personality overcame the man's absence. Karras had terrible "practice habits", and tried to avoid exerting himself until he was in a game. Even then he would sometimes dog it; and Jerry Kramer wrote that if Detroit was comfortably ahead or if the game was out of their reach, that Karras could slack off some. Karras loved a party, and consistently broke curfew during training camp to go drinking with other veteran players who enjoyed the nightlife. He'd even sneak a cigarette out on to the practice field, taking puffs between plays.

Karras was not only extroverted but highly intelligent. He was very outspoken, and could not stand authority figures. With these traits it was no surprise that even from his college days Karras stayed in trouble with his coaches, and later with NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle. It got so bad that Karras was suspended for the entire 1963 NFL season because of his refusal to follow sell an interest in a Detroit bar that the NFL Commissioner's Office said had gambling and mob connections. When Karras admitted to having bet on NFL games it was too much, and Rozelle banned him from the league for a year. This brought the 1-year suspension for 1963, along with Green Bay running back Paul Hornung.

After he retired from football in 1971 Karras had several offers of acting roles. His Mongo in Blazing Saddles is a classic, and everyone knows the scene where he knocks a horse down with one punch. He did three years a color commentator on Monday Night Football, and did a great job. It was Karras, and not Howard Cosell as it is sometimes misreported, who made the classic remark about the bald-headed and menacing Oakland Raider defensive tackle Otis Sistrunk, who had not attended college. Karras said that instead he had gone to "the University of Mars". Then he went full time into acting, most notably for 5 seasons in Webster in the 80's.

Karras is a throwback to the days when the players were associated with one or two teams at most. The "bad boys" of the league then drank beer and smoked cigarettes to get in shape. A far cry from the free agents of today who change teams every year; whose bodies are the finest that modern chemistry can produce; and who on any given weekend might be arrested for manslaughter, cocaine possession or dogfighting. Give me those days. Goodbye to one of the true characters who made the NFL.

That's a great write up, Sardondi. I'm saddened by Karras's death, but you reminded me of the glory days of Merlin Olsen and Karras, two brick walls of football, real characters.

Karras made me roar with laughter when he played the sheriff in Porky's (yeah, I have a 12 year old's sense of humor) and I still remember him playing Babe Zaharias's husband George, way way back when. He was a really interesting guy, great football player and very funny actor. RIP

Juan

I saw Karras interviewed after the 1970 season - he was on the field for Detroit when Tom Dempsey of the New Orleans Saints beat the Lions with a 63-yard field goal.  Dempsey's record still stands, though it's been equaled three times.

Karras was hilarious.  The previous record was something like 55-yards, so the Lions thought Dempsey's attempt was absurd.  Karras said he was laughing so hard, he couldn't rush.  He said he laughed until the ball crossed through the goal posts, then he cried.  He was quite a character.

McPhallus

Sardondi could have a second career writing obits.  I had to read the whole thing, even though I care nothing about football.

I hear Karras' last few years were pretty rough.

HorrorRetro

Gary Collins died.  I liked him back in the TV show the Sixth Sense.  He really went to hell in a hand basket these past few years with several DUIs and other legal problems.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-gary-collins-dead-20121013,0,7781458.story

Sardondi

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/beano-cook-irreverent-college-football-commentator-dies-at-81/2012/10/13/209b8408-1483-11e2-bf18-a8a596df4bee_story.html

This will mean something only to those who follow college football. I actually never understood how the man continued getting jobs as a football commentator as I thought he was chiefly valuable as an anti-weather vane - that is, whatever he picked was usually wrong.

Juan

I never understood the love for Beano, either.  But Tim Brando, who does the CBS SEC pregame and halftime shows, could do a perfect imitation of Beano.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 13, 2012, 05:10:08 PM
Gary Collins died.  I liked him back in the TV show the Sixth Sense.  He really went to hell in a hand basket these past few years with several DUIs and other legal problems.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-gary-collins-dead-20121013,0,7781458.story
Just following a career trajectory that brings one from "The Sixth Sense" to...Hour Magazine!Which was as depressing as it was emasculating.

And the wonderous "The Kid From Left Field" tv movie from '79 with Gary Coleman. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on October 13, 2012, 05:18:37 PM

This will mean something only to those who follow college football. I actually never understood how the man continued getting jobs as a football commentator as I thought he was chiefly valuable as an anti-weather vane - that is, whatever he picked was usually wrong.
I thought he was 81 when he joined ESPN in the mid 80's. A resident crank I guess, their Larry Bud Melman. His Ron Powlus prediction was timeless.

Juan

Mr. Single Bullet Theory - Arlen Specter dead at 82.

Sardondi

A more craven, blow-a-dog-for-vote politician never lived.

Morgus

Quote from: UFO Fill on October 14, 2012, 11:48:51 AM
Didn't Senator Specter change from Republican to Democrat a few years ago too?

McPhallus

Quote from: Morgus on October 14, 2012, 03:06:35 PM
Didn't Senator Specter change from Republican to Democrat a few years ago too?

...which earned him the nickname, "Benedict Arlen."

I remember watching him speak back in the 90s on some TV show, and he seemed really solid and likable.  But then he got weird.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: UFO Fill on October 14, 2012, 11:48:51 AM

i thought he was a creep and, personally, i won't miss him.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on October 14, 2012, 02:10:10 PM
A more craven, blow-a-dog-for-vote politician never lived.

Politicians who've blown dogs for a vote demand a retraction.

That slimy toupee wearing worm represented everything that is wrong with the "establishment", to me his legacy can be summed up in the Ira Einhorn affair.

A professor of mine in 2009, a man involved in Democrat politics since the late 40's, who hailed from Pennslyvania and knew Specter personally...well, Specter's switching to the Dems actually made this 78 year old man seriously consider becoming an Independent. That's how he felt about him.

MV/Liberace!

George McGovern's family says he's unresponsive. Sad news. He always struck me as a very decent human being.

stevesh

Quote from: MV on October 18, 2012, 12:09:40 AM
George McGovern's family says he's unresponsive. Sad news. He always struck me as a very decent human being.

Me, too. If you tell anyone I said this, I'll call you a liar to your face, but I voted for the guy.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: stevesh on October 18, 2012, 03:54:21 AM
Me, too. If you tell anyone I said this, I'll call you a liar to your face, but I voted for the guy.

based on what nixon brought us following that election, i'd wear a vote for mcgovern as a badge of honor with the hindsight of 40 years.

Juan

I got a chance to do a very short interview with Senator McGovern about 16-years ago.  He was gracious and seemed to be a very decent guy.