• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What To Look For If Romney Were To Win

Started by PB the Deplorable, October 14, 2012, 12:44:12 AM

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on October 20, 2012, 02:30:46 PM
How could they?  In PB's world, everything Dem must be demonized, and anything Rep must ipso facto be beyond reproach.  He is concerned about the hubby of some Dem peddling influence, but probably doesn't give a rat's ass that the Romney family own the voting machines that will be used in 5 states this election, including Ohio and Colorado.  But heck, those states couldn't possibly have an impact on the outcome of the election, could they?  Google "Tagg Romney voting machines" - scary stuff.

Not peddling influence:   corruption, self dealing, abuse of power, and stealing stimulous funds.  Not some hubby of some Dem - the hubby of the Senator in the election against the challenger you specifically mentioned as a bad candidate:  Akin.

And no, I don't worry about the R's stealing elections, that's something the D's do and try to do (see Al Gore, Al Franken, Loretta Sanchez, Christine Gregoire, Acorn activists...), and Big Media is more than willing to provide cover for them while scrutinizing the R's.  Which elections have the R's tried to steal?

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 20, 2012, 07:53:44 PM

Not peddling influence:   corruption, self dealing, abuse of power, and stealing stimulous funds.  Not some hubby of some Dem - the hubby of the Senator in the election against the challenger you specifically mentioned as a bad candidate:  Akin.

And no, I don't worry about the R's stealing elections, that's something the D's do and try to do (see Al Gore, Al Franken, Loretta Sanchez, Christine Gregoire, Acorn activists...), and Big Media is more than willing to provide cover for them while scrutinizing the R's.  Which elections have the R's tried to steal?
http://www.dailypaul.com/239494/fraud-confirmed-in-texas-election-judge-says-votes-were-switched-tonight-drkrbn-live
[/size]

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 20, 2012, 06:51:01 PM
         Would have happened already. That mannish attention hua couldn't possibly sit on something as far as October 21. I've seen prettier heads on a pimple.

I tend to think so as well. But, from a purely gaming perspective mind you ;), it would be interesting to see how a "blitzkrieg" nuke-level attempt at scandal-mongering might play out when initiated a mere week before the election. Can you imagine the absolute chaos should such an eventuality occur? Like I said, my interest is purely academic, and it would be a shame if anyone tried to undermine our proud democratic process by such an appeal to our lower, base instincts. *harumph harumph*   

SnapT

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 20, 2012, 08:17:30 AMEven now Barrack Obama is going around telling small businesses 'you didn't build that'.

By "that" he was referring to roads, bridges, and other government infrastructure, not the small businesses themselves.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on October 20, 2012, 08:29:11 PM
I tend to think so as well. But, from a purely gaming perspective mind you ;) , it would be interesting to see how a "blitzkrieg" nuke-level attempt at scandal-mongering might play out when initiated a mere week before the election. Can you imagine the absolute chaos should such an eventuality occur? Like I said, my interest is purely academic, and it would be a shame if anyone tried to undermine our proud democratic process by such an appeal to our lower, base instincts. *harumph harumph*

If there were truly salacious material on Romney, it would have come out before the primaries. Does anybody really think that a guy like Newt Gingrich wouldn't excavate halfway to China trying to undercut Romney before the primaries? It would have been last October's surprise.

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on October 20, 2012, 08:19:44 PM
http://www.dailypaul.com/239494/fraud-confirmed-in-texas-election-judge-says-votes-were-switched-tonight-drkrbn-live

Thanks for posting that.  I'm not sure what to make of it - it's from Ron Pauls own website, we don't know if the judge is an Obama supporter, a Paul-bot, a Gingrich operative, or just an honest concerned person.  Maybe the people polled after voting weren't interested in co-operating (a big majority for Ron Paul in this one place would itself seem suspicious). 

Where was Romney at the time of the Texas primary - was his delegate lead pretty much wrapped up by then or still in question?

Whatever the answers are, any allogations like this should be taken seriously and investigated. 

Quote from: SnapT on October 20, 2012, 09:03:41 PM
By "that" he was referring to roads, bridges, and other government infrastructure, not the small businesses themselves.

That's the spin.   I watched the clip and didn't see it that way. 

If that's what he was talking about, why the jab at small businesses?

SnapT

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 20, 2012, 10:02:35 PM

That's the spin.   I watched the clip and didn't see it that way. 

If that's what he was talking about, why the jab at small businesses?

What jab at small businesses?

Here's what he said in context...

QuoteThere are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me â€" because they want to give something back. They know they didn't â€" look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something â€" there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business â€" you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

The way he phrased it was TERRIBLE, but clearly he was trying to say that success in any sort of business is a combination of hard work, intelligence, luck, and the benefits all Americans are afforded by living in the USA and having access to its infrastructure.

analog kid

Quote from: Sardondi on October 20, 2012, 06:19:57 PM
After I got used to the Bush Derangement Syndrome which affected so many on the distaff side 2000-2008 up until today, I would actually enjoy the diatribes which burst forth from so many sufferers. It was entertaining to see how far people would let themselves be driven, and it was also a pretty fair indicator of the degree of panic being felt on that side.

And now history seems to repeat itself, but with Romney as the target of the raving. Ah, I love the smell of panic in the morningevening all the time - it smells like....a landslide.

Yeah, blah blah blah. Can you imagine the uproar if Obama was buying voting machines?

Juan

I can tell you when Republicans stole an election - it was in Miami-Dade elections in the early 90s.  I don't remember all the details, but Republican candidates stole the election.  The results were voided by the state - Florida even took over operating the city budget for a while.  Governor Lawton Chiles responded by pushing a Voter ID law through the legislature -which was then controlled by Democrats.  It may have been the best thing to happen to Florida in a long time.  Since the Democrats pushed through the voter law, they don't complain about it

analog kid

The Justice Department has had to intervene in all the swing states because the Republicans have gotten so out of hand with various arbitrary voter restrictions. Has Limbaugh mentioned that? Didn't think so.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: analog kid on October 21, 2012, 02:22:11 PM
The Justice Department has had to intervene in all the swing states because the Republicans have gotten so out of hand with various arbitrary voter restrictions. Has Limbaugh mentioned that? Didn't think so.
The current Justice Department did a real bang up job about Black Panthers in front of polling stations in Philly, too. Gee, Eric Holder doesn't have a dog in this fight, he wants fair and square,not his patron getting re-elected. Has Chris Matthews mentioned that?

The right tells me there's millions of illegal voters at the polls, the left tells me there's millions of legal voters having their votes taken away. It's so fucking tiresome. Loser's Lament from both sides before the game is played.

Quote from: analog kid on October 21, 2012, 02:22:11 PM

Like... requiring ID?  Just because the D's claim this is to suppress minority voting doesn't make it true - it's to suppress non-qualified poeple from voting (illegal or non-citizen aliens), or people voting in 2 different precincts. 

Making this claim is also a way for the D's to inject race into the discussion and get their base angry enough to actually go out vote.

I think voter ID, going back to easily recountable paper ballots, getting rid of motor-voter and other ways that are just a little too easy to fraudulently register voters, are good ideas.   But at the same time if someone truly has no ID (?) and can't easily get out of the house to get it, someone at City Hall should go to them and provide it free.  Everyone eligible that wants to vote should be able to with no hassle.

And they shouldn't be playing games with overseas military personnel either - even if they overwhelingly vote R it's disgusting to try to suppress their votes.

John Smith

One not so October surprise that has not hit the "mainstream media", is this:

In the secretly recorded video, which included Mitt Romney's infamous "47 percent" remarks, a man asks Romney how he would “duplicate” an Iran hostage type situation, similar to the 1979 crisis, reports Mother Jones.

Romney did not dismiss the bizarre idea which would place Americans lives in danger, but said: "I appreciate the idea... If something of that nature presents itself, I will work to take advantage of the opportunity.”

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/2012-election/video-mitt-romney-says-he-would-work-take-advantage-iranian-hostage-type

Romney didn't get a hostage crisis, but the Republicans and Fix News would have you think that we suffered a 911 scale tragedy with the way they have exploited the Libya attack. Romney on-tape saying that he would "work to take advantage of the opportunity" may yet knock him out of contention.

onan

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 21, 2012, 03:38:53 PM

Like... requiring ID?  Just because the D's claim this is to suppress minority voting doesn't make it true - it's to suppress non-qualified poeple from voting (illegal or non-citizen aliens), or people voting in 2 different precincts. 

Making this claim is also a way for the D's to inject race into the discussion and get their base angry enough to actually go out vote.

I think voter ID, going back to easily recountable paper ballots, getting rid of motor-voter and other ways that are just a little too easy to fraudulently register voters, are good ideas.   But at the same time if someone truly has no ID (?) and can't easily get out of the house to get it, someone at City Hall should go to them and provide it free.  Everyone eligible that wants to vote should be able to with no hassle.

And they shouldn't be playing games with overseas military personnel either - even if they overwhelingly vote R it's disgusting to try to suppress their votes.

I have been voting for 40 years. All I have ever needed was my voter registration card. As it should be.

Quote from: onan on October 21, 2012, 07:43:17 PM
I have been voting for 40 years. All I have ever needed was my voter registration card. As it should be.

But you had to prove you were a citizen to get one - isn't that what we are talking about.

Me, I just go in and give them my name and they cross it off the list as I go vote.  I could be anyone.  I could register at the DMV just by filling out a form and dropping it into the box.  I could put anything on it.  As I understand it, some places don't have the 30 day waiting period, they just register and vote right there.  All this is just a little too lax.

onan

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 21, 2012, 08:41:48 PM

But you had to prove you were a citizen to get one - isn't that what we are talking about.

Me, I just go in and give them my name and they cross it off the list as I go vote.  I could be anyone.  I could register at the DMV just by filling out a form and dropping it into the box.  I could put anything on it.  As I understand it, some places don't have the 30 day waiting period, they just register and vote right there.  All this is just a little too lax.

I kind of thought we were talking about the need for picture id voting. From what I have read voter fraud is not the concern that it is being ramped up to be. In person voter fraud seems to be more a delusion than fact.

As for being too lax, shit, over half the nation doesn't vote. too lax is the least of our worries.

BigDave

Riots in the major Cities by Blacks who are angry that Obama lost. Thank God that I live 45 miles from Atlanta. If Romney wins and You live in the Cities You had better remove those Romney stickers from Your car or the Romney sign from Your yard!

Quote from: BigDave on October 21, 2012, 10:51:01 PM
Riots in the major Cities by Blacks who are angry that Obama lost. Thank God that I live 45 miles from Atlanta. If Romney wins and You live in the Cities You had better remove those Romney stickers from Your car or the Romney sign from Your yard!

Where I live if a person puts one on their car, the tolerant, enlightened, peaceful people will trash your ride.  God only knows what happens if signs go up in yards - better prepare to patrol the place with some dogs and a shotgun.

I would love to see the Occupy-type thugs, or some of the other people always out looking for trouble riot and try to tear up the wrong neighborhood - sadly, they're usually pretty smart about staying close to home base in Oakland, Berkeley and SF where they know they are going to be coddled.   

analog kid

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 21, 2012, 02:26:40 PM
          The current Justice Department did a real bang up job about Black Panthers in front of polling stations in Philly, too. Gee, Eric Holder doesn't have a dog in this fight, he wants fair and square,not his patron getting re-elected. Has Chris Matthews mentioned that?

The right tells me there's millions of illegal voters at the polls, the left tells me there's millions of legal voters having their votes taken away. It's so fucking tiresome. Loser's Lament from both sides before the game is played.

Mmm. Two black guys in front of a polling place - who have no affiliation with the Democratic Party, is equal to the Republican Party intentionally disenfranchising millions of voters. For a "problem" that doesn't exist.

Here's an unrelated video that's gone viral..

BEHIND THE VEIL: Never-Before-Seen Footage of Secret Mormon Temple Rituals

Juan

I've lived with a voter ID law for more than a decade. I walk into the polls, show my driver's license (or other photo ID), the poll worker looks at me and the photo, looks at my name on the voter list, and marks it off.  Then I get a ballot.  I don't see any signs of disenfranchisement from proving who I am.  The only difference from showing a voter registration card is that my driver's license has my photo on it. 

onan

Quote from: UFO Fill on October 22, 2012, 03:49:23 AM
I've lived with a voter ID law for more than a decade. I walk into the polls, show my driver's license (or other photo ID), the poll worker looks at me and the photo, looks at my name on the voter list, and marks it off.  Then I get a ballot.  I don't see any signs of disenfranchisement from proving who I am.  The only difference from showing a voter registration card is that my driver's license has my photo on it.

Voter fraud is another example of yelling fire when there is no fire. It is another example of dancing to a tune the piper plays. Quite frankly if this is your issue of importance you're irrational.

http://www.brennancenter.org/content/resource/policy_brief_on_the_truth_about_voter_fraud/

Pragmier

But non-citizens can get DLs, so how does that prove you're eligible? Is that what's being claimed here that impersonation is a problem? What am I missing?

Mind you I'm not opposed to showing ID; I just feel the real problem, if one exists, would happen at the registration process. The only worthwhile ID then would be proof of citizenship. Recent reports out of Florida suggest this type of fraud will probably not reach .05%, and of those the majority haven't voted in years. On the other hand, you can swing an election here with just a few thousand if not hundreds.

If I were rigging an election the voting machines would be my target of choice.

Maybe voter fraud isn't an issue, maybe it's just another misdirection attempt, another way to divide everyone.  But so is the idea 'millions' don't have photo ID's, and can't get them. 

Millions of US citizens?  It's a big country, I'm sure there are at least a few people in any category one can think of - but I'd probably have trouble finding one.  But let's say they are out there.  I think we are being told they are mostly poor elderly blacks.  Wouldn't the local black community, specifically the local politically active reverends, be out taking care of it person by person?  They would have the full power of the media on their side.  No one would stand in the way.  Many would volunteer to help.

This is all starting to remind me of Mitch Snyder, who just made up the figures of 3 million homeless in the US at the time, and that 45 homeless people die every second in the US.  He then went out and told the homeless not to cooperate with the 1990 Census.  Know why?  A later actual count - which was then adjusted up for anyone missed - came in at considerably less tham 1 million, and a quick calculation of that many deaths would have been 1.4 billion per year.  He finally had to admit he completely made these numbers up.

The Rs have no problem lying either, but the Ds are off the charts.

Pragmier

Nah those figures are credible. Just like the millions of alien abductees  :o

Quote from: Pragmier on October 22, 2012, 05:53:58 AM
Nah those figures are credible. Just like the millions of alien abductees  :o

After Loretta Sanchez stole the election for B-1 Bob's House seat with votes from illegal aliens and non-citizen voters (primarily Mexican, this is the LA area), when we had a Democrat House candidate in the San Diego area some years back caught on video telling a group of non-citizen Mexicans it's ok for them to go out and vote for her, when we have La Raza (remember them?) telling Mexicans this is really their country and they have every right to vote whether they are citizens or not - yeah, I think it's either a problem, or a potential one.

I think one of the reasons the Ds keep insisting Bush 'stole' the election from Gore - even though that's been completely disproven - is to numb people to it, and if and when they get caught people will just shrug, say it's old news, and that everyone does it.  It worked for them when the Al Franken and Wash State Gov elections were later stolen - everyone just shrugged and moved on.  Now we're not supposed to worry about it happening again - and if we do it's because it's somehow racially motovated.

Pragmier

PB I was agreeing with you that tossing around the 'millions' on either side is probably overkill.

I'll support an attempt to make the 2016 as fraud-free as possible. Not months before an election, but if you start now and give people four years to comply it should cut back on a lot of the objections. The prime concern is to safeguard eligible voters from accidentally being stripped of their rights.

Juan

Quote from: onan on October 22, 2012, 04:03:27 AM
Voter fraud is another example of yelling fire when there is no fire.
You're quite wrong with regard to Florida - as I pointed out earlier, the elections in Miami/Dade were stolen a couple of decades ago.  The state had to void them and actually operate the city for awhile.  Democrat Lawton Chiles was governor at the time.  Democrats controlled the state house.  Their solution was voter ID. Since the law went into effect, we have not had similar fraud.  Supposedly, the requirement has also eliminated folks voting in the morning in their home state, then flying to Florida and voting again at their vacation home.  I have no idea whether this was a real problem or a bunch of gum bumping.

The only reference to Florida in your cited article is to an attempt to remove felons from the roles in 2000.  That was quite a different thing.

analog kid

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 22, 2012, 04:50:43 AM
Maybe voter fraud isn't an issue, maybe it's just another misdirection attempt, another way to divide everyone.  But so is the idea 'millions' don't have photo ID's, and can't get them. 

Millions of US citizens?  It's a big country, I'm sure there are at least a few people in any category one can think of - but I'd probably have trouble finding one.  But let's say they are out there.  I think we are being told they are mostly poor elderly blacks.  Wouldn't the local black community, specifically the local politically active reverends, be out taking care of it person by person?  They would have the full power of the media on their side.  No one would stand in the way.  Many would volunteer to help.

The Rs have no problem lying either, but the Ds are off the charts.

Haven't said anything about Voter ID. I'm referring to restrictions on early voting, restrictions on voting nights and weekends, absentee voting restrictions, removing of thousands from voter rolls in the swing states, throwing out registration forms of Democrats, putting the wrong voting dates on ballets, 48-hour deadline to turn in new voter forms or face a felony charge,  Corporations coercing their employees to vote for Romney, and various other laws that make no sense whatsoever. At least 180 bills restricting various voting rights have been passed all over the country, right before the election, that predominantly affect students, the elderly, the poor and minorities.  It's amazing what the right can rationalize.

I think there are excellent points in all these posts - pretty clear it's a mess and the opportunity for abuse takes many forms.  And after all that it seems like we get the same old garbage no matter who wins anyway.