• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

Usagi

Led Zep is swell, Zen.  But, when it comes to Robert Plant... well, you know what they supposedly say about fine wines.

Robert Plant & The Band Of Joy - Silver Rider

Robert Plant - You Can't Buy My Love (OFFICIAL)

Quote from: Usagi on May 06, 2011, 10:06:59 PM
Led Zep is swell, Zen.  But, when it comes to Robert Plant... well, you know what they supposedly say about fine wines.

And he influenced... no... inspired some of the best. Thanks.  8)

Tori Amos- Thank You

Usagi

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on May 06, 2011, 10:35:07 PM

And he influenced... no... inspired some of the best. Thanks.  8)

No, totally.  And Under the Pink was my soundtrack when I was a teenager.  I haven't kept up with her recently, though.

Tori Amos The Waitress Live

Usagi

Quote from: the_wanderer on May 06, 2011, 10:45:24 PM
If you don't feel anything after seeing this, check your humanity as you have none.

Johnny Cash Hurt

I remember the first time I ever heard this.  I was at my mom's house and CMT was on for some random reason.  I wish I could have seen my face... shock doesn't quite describe it.  I had to search for it on the internet immediately afterwards to make sure I saw and heard what I thought I saw and heard.

Quote from: Usagi on May 06, 2011, 10:48:00 PM
No, totally.  And Under the Pink was my soundtrack when I was a teenager.  I haven't kept up with her recently, though.

8)  here's a treat for ya in the event you haven't already caught it.
http://www.theartistsden.com/toriamos/

JustOneFix

This Tori Amos dame is interesting. I had never heard of her before, but the vid Usagi posted prompted me to look her up. I feel deprived for not knowing about her until now, not because of her music, but because she's a redhead. Dammit mon.

Quote from: JustOneFix on May 06, 2011, 11:40:21 PM
This Tori Amos dame is interesting. I had never heard of her before, but the vid Usagi posted prompted me to look her up. I feel deprived for not knowing about her until now, not because of her music, but because she's a redhead. Dammit mon.

I found her gifted, brilliant, sharp in memory, and almost always a redhead.  8)  from Y Can't Tori Read to her casual chardonnay chats.

Usagi

Thanks for that link, Zen.  :)

And, JustOneFix.  If you've only just been introduced to Tori, maybe it'll be better start with the absolute basics.

You'll appreciate the leg-shaving scenes.  I do.

Tori Amos - God

Usagi

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on May 06, 2011, 11:58:20 PM

I found her gifted, brilliant, sharp in memory, and almost always a redhead.  8)  from Y Can't Tori Read to her casual chardonnay chats.

And she's BFFs with Neil Gaiman.  She has to be cool.

Every time my friend played Tori, I thought it was Kate Bush.

Quote from: Usagi on May 07, 2011, 12:05:25 AM

And, JustOneFix.  If you've only just been introduced to Tori, maybe it'll be better start with the absolute basics.

Ok. Now you've gone and done it. Yer just gonna have to explain this one to JustOneFix.  :P

Tori Amos ~ Icicle

Tori Amos is a founding member of RAINN. Vast isn't. A disturbing vid, but a lot of music wouldn't be what it is if it sometimes wasn't eh?

Usagi

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on May 07, 2011, 12:27:32 AM

Ok. Now you've gone and done it. Yer just gonna have to explain this one to JustOneFix.  :P

No thank you! No thank you! But, the same thread runs through so many of her songs.

Usagi

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on May 07, 2011, 12:32:57 AM
Tori Amos is a founding member of RAINN. Vast isn't. A disturbing vid, but a lot of music wouldn't be what it is if it sometimes wasn't eh?

It was totally a subconscious decision.  I really was just listening to that Vast song and wanted to post it.  But, you know what Noory says...

Usagi

Okay, time to infuse a little fun into this conversation.

Raspberry Swirl - Tori Amos

Quote from: Usagi on May 07, 2011, 12:36:38 AM
It was totally a subconscious decision.  I really was just listening to that Vast song and wanted to post it.  But, you know what Noory says...

is ok. not offended here. i'm already disturbed. once you've sat thru Cannibal Holocaust...  8)

Usagi

Quote from: Do you think it was angels? on May 07, 2011, 12:22:18 AM
Every time my friend played Tori, I thought it was Kate Bush.

Yeah, there is a distinct similarity.  I really tried to like Kate Bush once; I did.  But... some notes she hits.  Nails on a chalkboard for me.

a To Venus And Back favorite. i even used a clip from it for my "official" gaming forum flash sig.

Tori Amos - Glory of the 80's - Official Music Video

JustOneFix

Quote from: Usagi on May 07, 2011, 12:05:25 AM

Tori Amos - God

Those leg scenes were nice! She doesn't sing my kind of music, but I still wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers.

The rodents were disturbing however. Speaking of Rodent-
Skinny Puppy - Rodent (Ken "Hiwatt" Marshall Remix)

EvB

Quote from: The General on May 07, 2011, 03:11:19 PM
I cannot get over Mose Allison.

Mose Allison Trio 1959 ~ Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me

Nice!  thanks for the share.

Quote from: Usagi on May 06, 2011, 10:06:59 PM

Robert Plant & The Band Of Joy - Silver Rider

Robert Plant - You Can't Buy My Love (OFFICIAL)
Great, great choices, Usagi.  I particularly love Silver Rider.  The first time I heard it was actually on Coast - John Wells used it as bumper music, and I bought the cd the next day.  Sometimes Coast still works it's charms for me.

Usagi

Quote from: the_wanderer on May 07, 2011, 08:20:53 PM
People roll their eyes when I say I'm a Cash fan until they watch that video, suddenly everything gets very quiet, if it doesn't put a lump in your throat or shed a tear, etc, IMHO that person is emotionally fucked.

I'm originally from Georgia and my dad was a musician.  I grew up listening to a wide variety of music thanks to him, but in his final years he listened ONLY (and I really do mean exclusively) to Bocephus, Skynyrd, Elvis... and Johnny Cash.  One of the last times I ever saw my dad was the weekend that Johnny Cash died and we played him constantly around a bon fire.  I, for one, definitely have an emotional tie.  ;)

EvB

Quote from: the_wanderer on May 07, 2011, 08:20:53 PM
People roll their eyes when I say I'm a Cash fan until they watch that video, suddenly everything gets very quiet, if it doesn't put a lump in your throat or shed a tear, etc, IMHO that person is emotionally fucked.

I love Johnny Cash, I'm also a Willie Nelson fan, and - one more - Tennessee Ernie Ford.  (Laugh if you will, folks, but this guy was a college educated musician, with training in classical voice. Like his style or not, take a listen to those PIPES.)

Tennessee ernie Ford - 16 Tons

Usagi

Quote from: EvB on May 07, 2011, 08:42:05 PM
I love Johnny Cash, I'm also a Willie Nelson fan, and - one more - Tennesee Earnie Ford.  (Laugh if you will, folks, but this guy was a college educated musition, with training in classical voice. Like his style or not, take a listen to those PIPES.)

Nah... that's some sweet stuff right there.

The General

I like Johnny Cash as much as the next guy, but I really couldn't ever figure out his Cult Icon Status.  He's good, but he's just not that good.  He had a couple good songs, and a 'cool' voice, but seriously almost everybody on Sun records was better than him.  Seriously probably the most over rated country singer ever.  If we were to go by talent, Jerry Lee Lewis should have 10 times the cult icon status that Cash has.

Maybe it's just because I live in Seattle, and guys who are clamoring for vindication of their emasculated existence here seem to embrace Cash as some kind of messiah.  Flannel shirt over a CASH t-shirt, ironic mustache, and $5 coffee in hand.  I don't buy it.

I still do have a big soft spot in my heart for the guy though.  They played Cash's "Hurt" at my good friend Ron's funeral last year and it just put a damn knife through my heart.  Still can't listen to it without tearing up.

Fly By Night

I love all music, but when it comes to country there is no better than

Waylon Jennings Omaha

Usagi

Quote from: Fly By Night on May 07, 2011, 09:08:26 PM
I love all music, but when it comes to country there is no better than

I don't know... I think I got a close tie for ya...

Merle Haggard -- The Fightin' Side Of Me