• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

ziznak

I decided to only post about movies that suck when they are especially horrible and to only post the really good movies i see. 
Recently I watched a cam version of "Lawless" and it was awesome... even though every time I see shai lebouff (screw his french name), I think his car is going to start rapping or some shit.  if he would just bring megan fox (naked) with him to every movie he would be much more interesting.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 28, 2012, 10:37:37 PM

I've been confined to my VHS sector of the bunker(foot bothering me) so I've watched three old films that I taped off cable many moons ago.

"The Dogs of War"(1980) with Christopher Walken

"The Laughing Policeman"(1973) with Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern

"Carnal Knowledge" (1971) with Jack Nicholson and Ann Margret.

and some vintage Howard Stern episodes from the fall of 1991.

"Oh we won't give in, we'll keep living in the past"....quoting a 43 year old Jethro Tull song as proof.

I.just.clicked.away., in a moment of inattention, one of my "wall of text" posts reviewing these and other movies from the same period. I think some people might have enjoyed it. It makes me sick, but I am can't face trying to recreate it. Stupid.

ziznak

Quote from: Sardondi on September 17, 2012, 11:21:03 PM
I.just.clicked.away., in a moment of inattention, one of my "wall of text" posts reviewing these and other movies from the same period. I think some people might have enjoyed it. It makes me sick, but I am can't face trying to recreate it. Stupid.
sometimes you can nav back and salvage it ya know?  good practice when "walling" is to copy your entire drivellings after every paragraph!!   
now you know... and knowing is half the battle!

Sardondi

Quote from: ziznak on September 17, 2012, 11:53:20 PM
sometimes you can nav back and salvage it ya know?  good practice when "walling" is to copy your entire drivellings after every paragraph!!   
now you know... and knowing is half the battle!

Yep, I tried that in this case, with no joy. And I often copy as I go if I'm doing one of "those" posts. *sigh* It's not me I'm sad for; it's all you folks who are deprived of my opinion that I'm sympathetic toward. ;)

onan

Quote from: Sardondi on September 17, 2012, 11:58:40 PM
it's all you folks who are deprived of my opinion that I'm sympathetic toward. ;)

Even though I often disagree with you, I always enjoy your posts. So yeah I feel a bit cheated... Suck it up old man and rewrite.

BigDave

I watched Wyatt Earp(with Kevin Costner as Wyatt Earp). I think this movie was superior to Tombstone,giving a good picture of His early life 8)

ziznak

I hate Costner Im sorry.  The man can't do an accent to save his life and it effects his performance too much when he does roles like Earp.  The movie wasn't all that bad I'm pretty sure it's up there... my fav recent western has to be "Unforgiven"

oh and i almost forgot "true grit"

War Horse was good. I enjoyed the horses and the historical details. Beautiful scenery as well.

onan

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on September 19, 2012, 09:39:06 AM
War Horse was good. I enjoyed the horses and the historical details. Beautiful scenery as well.

Best Western: Silverado.
Best western/horse movie: Hildago.

ziznak

"red lights" with Sigourney and DeNiro... I did  fall asleep but it wasn't the movies fault my ass was tired.  The subject matter is very C2C-oriented.

Quote from: onan on September 19, 2012, 10:17:23 AM
Best Western: Silverado.
Best western/horse movie: Hildago.

I have actually seen all those in the theater.

Going to say though best scenes was probably Man from Snowy River (saw that in a theater too).

onan

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on September 19, 2012, 11:57:01 AM
I have actually seen all those in the theater.

Going to say though best scenes was probably Man from Snowy River (saw that in a theater too).

Thanks for reminding me of a very good movie... been quite some time. I need to see it again.

BigDave

I watched "Ray" that was a brilliant portrail of Ray Charles

Pragmier

Really enjoyed the local I-Max screening of Godfather I & II recently. Took my daughter who's a real movie buff (she wants to study film & direct), and she'll always remember the first time she saw these classics with her 'ol man.  :)

elbee

ok here is my problem.

I always go on IMDB and piratebay and download the latest best reviewed films,

and they all suck.

really suck

Sardondi

About 2:00 am I caught part of Sexy Beast, a Brit villain movie with Ben Kingsley, Ray Winstone, Ian McShane, James Fox, and a squad of recognizable "usual suspects". It's like the car wreck which repels and attracts you at the same time. You can't stand the pain of what you're seeing, but you've never seen anything like it. Ray Winstone plays "Gal", a safecracker who has retired along with his wife as well as his bosom pal "Aitch" (Cavan Kendall), also a crook, and his wife to sunny Spain, where their moderate amount of ill-gotten pounds buy them a pretty good life of living in a middle-luxury villa overlooking the Med while they spend their days doing nothing more demanding than roasting in the sun with an ice cold drink while discussing what to have for dinner. Gal and Aitch guys are obviously lifelong crooks, but not heavies; and their wives were clearly beauties in their day and still retain that MILF look from when they were, uhm, party girls.

But the king gangster of London, Ian McShane as "Teddy", projecting a terrifyingly cold and hooded reptilian threat, has lined up a massive score which requires the expert skills of Gal, who has sent word he's really retired and is not interested. But Gal apparently didn't get the word there's no such thing as retirement with Teddy. So he dispatches "Don" (Ben Kingsley) to Spain to convince Gal that he'd love to come back with him to do the job that very weekend.

Now we all know Ben Kinglsey for his gentle portrayal of Gandhi. Well, forget that shit. Oh dear God. His Don is perhaps the single most terrifying gangster character ever committed to the screen other than Anton Chigurh whose style was entirely different. Gal tries to tell Don he's truly retired and that he's promised his wife he's out of the game for good. But Don simply will not take "no" for an answer, and he's relentless - bullying, pressuring, demanding, cajoling, humiliating Gal for what seems like hour after hour. Malice, danger and violence simply pour off Don like a poisonous sweat. Kingsley here reminds me of an alpha dog set in a pen with a dozen others which he immediately cows. Gal and Aitch are grown men who have obviously spent lives in dangerous situations, and surely have stood mute and steely-eyed before policeman as they were hectored about informing on their mates. But before Kingsley's Don these sorta-tough guys simply wilt, signaling they are no threat. They can't even meet Don's eyes because he's so volatile and unpredictable. If it weren't so painful to watch it it might even be funny to see the tiny Kingsley intimidate the beefy Winstone into a crumpled pile of sweaty flesh. But there are no laughs here.

Over a couple of days Don becomes even more threatening, intentionally breaking glasses, furniture, even pissing for what seems like forever all over the huge white tiled bathroom. Talk about your animal territoriality. There are several events having to do with the past, even involving the wives. Finally Don beats Gal's pool boy, a kid that Gal feels responsible for. But it finally looks like Don will give up, and in a fury goes to the airport. Of course it's not that easy for Gal. On the flight back Don provokes an incident and is kicked off. To Gal's terror Don returns to the villa, where the group descends even deeper into Don Hell. Don heaps abuse upon insult on everyone's head, and finally when the tension is sustainable no longer, the poolboy comes back to avenge his sensitive Spanish sense of honor, and Götterdämmerung is on. Suffice it to say Don is just as inhumanly tough and perversely cruel as you'd think, and that everybody tries very hard to gets their payback for the misery he's inflicted on them for decades.

Gal then realizes he's trapped, and must show up in London to do the job, while pretending he put Don on a plane back. What follows is the caper part of the movie, where we spend more time with the very hard thugs who make up Teddy's crew. It's very much like The Italian Job and The Bank Job as the technical part of the plan come together and are executed. It's successful, and the crew takes a staggering haul which is supposed to make everyone comfortable forever. Presumably the divvying up will take place at some point later. (A lot of this I'm doing from memory.)

Eager to return to his wife, to whom he is devoted, Gal is maneuvered into being driven to the airport by Teddy, who stops off first to coolly implicate Gal in a loose-end-tying murder. Teddy finally tells Gal the story about Don is bs, and Gal expects a bullet. But instead, Teddy pays Gal off, but instead of hundreds of thousands of pounds, it's a 10-pound note. But all Gal cares about is that Teddy lets him return to Spain. The movie ends with a bizarre Donnie-Darko-rabbit-in-hell scene with Don, furious even in death.

This is one of the most memorable crime movies ever. Exhausting to watch, it's as much a psychological study as anything. Wonderful characters, interesting plot. And the great James Fox, who must have a contract which says he has to play a role in any British film that is shown in the US. Fox and McShane have an,ahem, interesting and surprising relationship here. I think it's great because it's a way of showing Teddy is so much worse and stronger and even colder than any other criminal type ever known that he's above having to make sure he displays a powerful masculinity out of fear of a threat from a rival, because he knows no one is a rival.

What a movie.

oregonxfile

This is not your mother's Ghandi..

Ben Kingsley, profoundly foul-mouthed, and terrifying

A great movie!!

John Smith

Ben Kingsley is just a fricken genius, I love watching him work. Kingsley cranks-out the films, but watch him in Elegy if you haven't seen it, it's one of his better films in recent years. Penelope Cruise is amazing also. ****

John Smith

I am hijacking this thread to talk about how awesome Game of Thrones is. I am almost done with season II and it is really compelling entertainment. tons of interesting characters, and great writing/acting.

BigDave

I watched Taxi Driver last night. It's sort of trippy to me that a Psychopath like Travis Bickle became a National hero at the end of the movie :o 8)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: BigDave on October 06, 2012, 03:21:37 PM
I watched Taxi Driver last night. It's sort of trippy to me that a Psychopath like Travis Bickle became a National hero at the end of the movie :o 8)
It's a fake ending, he actually dies at the end of the massacre. Paul Schrader purposely wrote that "Hollywood Ending"  as a satire. It's in complete and total opposition to the movie's theme.

analog kid

Stolen with Nic Cage.

Don't know if it's the case, but the story is that is was made to capitalize on the popularity of Taken. It lost 30 million in theaters before it was pulled. I'd never heard of it, and it is quite bad, with maybe one of the shittiest scores I've heard in a modern movie. It was uploaded to the Pirate Bay and was the highest ranking movie there the other day. Possibly because its crappiness is a meme somewhere.

do you guys know about cinemageddon? I've been a member there for years and have found some brilliant (and some brilliantly awful) things to watch.

it's just a tracker, but it's mostly obscure cool shit. Lot's of VHS and LD rips of commercially unavailable and forgotten content. A title has to be "safed" if it has any decent number of reviews on imdb, so you don't have to sift through recent pop to get to the weird.

Sardondi

Quote from: analog kid on October 06, 2012, 05:27:21 PM
Stolen with Nic Cage.

Don't know if it's the case, but the story is that is was made to capitalize on the popularity of Taken. It lost 30 million in theaters before it was pulled. I'd never heard of it, and it is quite bad, with maybe one of the shittiest scores I've heard in a modern movie. It was uploaded to the Pirate Bay and was the highest ranking movie there the other day. Possibly because its crappiness is a meme somewhere.

How the hell does Nicholas Cage keep getting paid to be in movies? He's an absolute disgrace. He's in stinker after piece of garbage after financial disaster, and still he keeps on starring in some piece o' crap that just hemorrhages money at the box office. What the hell? Is it a case where a real life Max Bialystock from The Producers massively oversubscribes investors, and so he needs a guaranteed bomb so he won't to pay out? I can't figure any other reason why anyone would want Nic Cage in their movie.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on October 06, 2012, 11:07:10 PM
How the hell does Nicholas Cage keep getting paid to be in movies? He's an absolute disgrace. He's in stinker after piece of garbage after financial disaster, and still he keeps on starring in some piece o' crap that just hemorrhages money at the box office. What the hell? Is it a case where a real life Max Bialystock from The Producers massively oversubscribes investors, and so he needs a guaranteed bomb so he won't to pay out? I can't figure any other reason why anyone would want Nic Cage in their movie.

The nepotism thing didn't become a question in my mind until the 90's. I thought he was a decent actor initially...but "something" happened in the late 90's and he cracked. He's basically Jan Michael Vincent post-Airwolf now.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 06, 2012, 11:15:25 PM
           The nepotism thing didn't become a question in my mind until the 90's. I thought he was a decent actor initially...but "something" happened in the late 90's and he cracked. He's basically Jan Michael Vincent post-Airwolf now.

I thought Cage was good in Moonstruck and hilarious in Raising Arizona, and okay, the National Treasure stuff was watchable for what it was - I just hate most of what he's done in the last 20 years or so. I think it's his attempts at straight drama which really bum me the most, although his blockbusters and blow-em-ups leave me cold usually. I just ordinarily don't find him believable in a movie where he's not playing a spoiled retard.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Sardondi on September 17, 2012, 11:21:03 PM

there is a browser extension called "lazarus" which i use.  it saves entered form information as you type it... so no more lost posts when you accidentally navigate away.  i use it in chrome, but there's probably a firefox version.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Sardondi on October 07, 2012, 12:22:16 AM
I thought Cage was good in Moonstruck and hilarious in Raising Arizona, and okay, the National Treasure stuff was watchable for what it was - I just hate most of what he's done in the last 20 years or so. I think it's his attempts at straight drama which really bum me the most, although his blockbusters and blow-em-ups leave me cold usually. I just ordinarily don't find him believable in a movie where he's not playing a spoiled retard.

i enjoyed conair, but perhaps it's because the movie brings back memories of watching it in the theater with a blond girl who had breasts the size of my head.

Sardondi

Quote from: MV on October 07, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

there is a browser extension called "lazarus" which i use.  it saves entered form information as you type it... so no more lost posts when you accidentally navigate away.  i use it in chrome, but there's probably a firefox version.
I had no idea. Thanks. Now if I just got Dragon Naturally Speaking too, I could really put out some walls of words, and never miss one of them! Let's see, where is that Amazon link....