• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

ziznak

the original "Godfather."  I recently downloaded the trilogy but I've tried to watch all three movies over a weekend before and only got through 1 and 2.  "the best exotic marigold hotel"  which was downloaded out of lack of anything left to download that could be considered new.  Horrible movie about old british people that "find themselves" in india... don't know how i got through it...

If anybody has any more suggestions for really good movies either recent or not so much I've found many good picks from coastgabbers recently so... holler if you can think of anything... I'm currently downloading "the fourth kind" and "some guy who kills people" and I have "Madagascar 3" playing right now... mostly in the background

MV/Liberace!

i saw prometheus with my wife last weekend.  i walked away feeling very "meh" about it.  i think a great cinematic opportunity was lost, as there are numerous holes in the plot and countless random, disconnected elements injected into it.  i'd have to give it 4/10.  also, for a majority of the movie, you sit waiting, expecting something interesting should happen at any moment, and it just doesn't.  if you miss this movie, i don't think you have anything to regret.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

i've always wanted to watch almost famous, but never quite got around to it.  i've finally done so, and WOW am i disappointed.  as a fan of movies like dazed and confused, superbad, etc., and as someone who wishes he'd been around for the whole 70s rock scene, i thought this movie would be right up my alley.  i thought i was a tool for having gone so long without seeing it.  i'm now disappointed to have lost this 160 minutes of my life.  first off, the acting of the kid who plays the lead character is AWFUL.  he has basically zero emotional range as an actor, and when he attempts to step outside his boundaries as an actor, it leaves you feeling uncomfortable and takes you out of the movie.  i think this must have been largely ignored by fans and critics because they sooooooo WANTED to love this movie.  beyond all of that, it's just not a very interesting story.  it drones on and on with uninteresting character after uninteresting character and a story that fails to compel.  50% of this film could have been cut from the final print and the omission would have left NO holes in the film.  actually, on second thought, doing so might have helped the film quite a bit, but not enough.  i will never see this film again.  why?  because i won't want to.  almost famous has none of the elements this type of film is supposed to have.  this could be one of the most overrated films of our time.  i give it 5/10.

Quote from: MV on June 23, 2012, 12:01:56 PM
i saw prometheus with my wife last weekend.  i walked away feeling very "meh" about it.  i think a great cinematic opportunity was lost, as there are numerous holes in the plot and countless random, disconnected elements injected into it.  i'd have to give it 4/10.  also, for a majority of the movie, you sit waiting, expecting something interesting should happen at any moment, and it just doesn't.  if you miss this movie, i don't think you have anything to regret.

I just saw Prometheus a few days ago and I liked it. Had some plot holes and things that didnt need to be there but I still thought overall it did the job of setting up the rest of Alien, had a good general premises, and was visually stunning.

I went home and watched the rest of the Alien series afterwards (over a few days).

7/10

It did, however, lack some of the "big emotional punch" scenes that the other Alien movies did so well.  Especially Ripley in the cargo loader vs. Alien Queen, Caine having dinner, Dallas searching for the Alien in the air vents, or the underwater chase in Alien Resurrection.
The most memorable scene in Prometheus for me was either "the surgery" or the "star maps/learning to fly" scene.

ziznak

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 23, 2012, 05:30:09 PM
I went home and watched the rest of the Alien series afterwards (over a few days).
The most memorable scene in Prometheus for me was either "the surgery" or the "star maps/learning to fly" scene.
I did the same thing!  Curious though I remember when I was younger I loved "Aliens" more than "Alien" but now I really liked the first installment.  I too really loved the "surgery" scene... wish I could say more but then I would feel like a spoiler.

When I saw prometheus, I smoked a bunch of reefer first. Also made a point NOT to see the 3d version.

I really dug it, and I too came home and tried to watch the rest of the film series on DVD for the 100th time.

I fell asleep during Alien... all the reefer caught up to me at that point...

coaster

I'll probably go see prometheus this weekend. The last thing I watched was MST3K's Eegah. I'm a Netflix subscriber and have to go to youtube to watch anything. So sad.

Harmness

Quote from: guildnavigator on June 23, 2012, 08:06:40 PM
When I saw prometheus, I smoked a bunch of reefer first. Also made a point NOT to see the 3d version.

I really dug it, and I too came home and tried to watch the rest of the film series on DVD for the 100th time.

I fell asleep during Alien... all the reefer caught up to me at that point...

You know how to do things right.

ziznak

watched part three today... ya know... the "bald one?" im sorry but I found sigourney more sexy bald in pt 3 than any of the other movies... maybe it's cause the other two were actually good movies and I didnt have time to pop the boner that 3 gave me... hmmmmmm the mind boggles

b_dubb

I liked Prometheus but I was disappointed they didn't develop Weyland. Increasingly I think Damon Lindeloff is highly overrated as a writer and "idea guy"

The General

Quote from: b_dubb on June 24, 2012, 09:24:11 PM
I liked Prometheus but I was disappointed they didn't develop Weyland. Increasingly I think Damon Lindeloff is highly overrated as a writer and "idea guy"
Yeah I was let down with it.  It wasn't that great.  They never explained anything that was going on.
I have to agree with this review....

Red Letter Media talks about Prometheus - SPOILERS

Quote from: ziznak on June 24, 2012, 02:43:53 PM
watched part three today... ya know... the "bald one?" im sorry but I found sigourney more sexy bald in pt 3 than any of the other movies... maybe it's cause the other two were actually good movies and I didnt have time to pop the boner that 3 gave me... hmmmmmm the mind boggles

HAHAHA

1979 ripley

Quote from: The General on June 24, 2012, 10:00:09 PM
Yeah I was let down with it.  It wasn't that great.  They never explained anything that was going on.
I have to agree with this review....

I remember the not explaining was a problem Scott had with Bladerunner too, so they added the Harrison Ford narration. Die hard fans didn't like it but I thought the narration was fine myself.

Great link, thank you for sharing.

My favorite line from the link:
"Before sending this biologist out on a 4 year long space mission didn’t they do some kind of psychological profile on him?  The results would have showed he was some kind of pussy.

I have to take a psychological profile test when I apply for a job at target. But then later when that same scientist is confronted with a sketchy looking gray alien penis he wants to stick his face in it.

That seems kind of stupid to me."

ziznak

He's one of my fav actors so I dug this up after searching "academy award" on demonoid... although the seeders have not been active in 6 hours at this point I'm still selecting quite a few movies from this very impressive list of works by mr Hopkins... one of THE BEST ACTORS to ever live

almost forgot the link:
http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2667960/3072041/

my current Q looks like DIS:

I lent a copy of "The Elephant Man" to a security guard once and he came back saying the funniest shit, like "did the elephant really rape that lady?" and later "she brought that shit on herself"

I laughed so hard.

b_dubb

Quote from: guildnavigator on June 24, 2012, 10:42:16 PM

HAHAHA

1979 ripley
when i was younger i thought the Sigourney was weird looking.  now that i'm growed [ ;) ] my opinion has changed.  although she doesn't hold a candle to MV's new avatar. 

Zach Galifinakis rules

I remember and so did the BBC David Bowie and the Story of Ziggy Stardust.
Although not very much depth to the film, it did give me pleasure of revisiting an early part of my life as always a long time "fan" of David Bowie.

I just saw Moonrise Kingdom.

It was very good. If you liked Stand by Me, Up, Christmas Story or My Girl you will like this movie.

ziznak

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 26, 2012, 07:02:56 PM
I just saw Moonrise Kingdom.

It was very good. If you liked Stand by Me, Up, Christmas Story or My Girl you will like this movie.

Hmmm must be fairly new I can't find it on any torrent sites... oh i will tough!  I just watched most of the first season of "Lie to Me."  Cool show... and Tim Roth is awesome.  Still haven't thrown on that ol "elephant man."  Everytime I think about watching it I think about how sad I felt when I first watched it way back when...

part way thru my third viewing of the HBO series Deadwood. i fucking love this and any cocksucker that thinks different can eat hammered shit out of a whores ass crack....

uh.... a bit too much Deadwood ya think?  8)

ziznak

"Being Flynn"
De Niro is awesome as a crazy homeless drunk in this movie
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455323/

EvB

I really love apocalyptic-themed stories.  I'm totally willing to suspend all reason to enjoy them.  But, THE REAPING turned out to be a a plague of biblical proportions itself.  The acting was mediocre, the story jumped all over the place.  the inconsistencies were GLARING even for this genre.  Some of it had to be bad editing.  In fact, whoever edited this film should have his or her brain clipped into pieces and left on the floor.

It was late - I was too lazy to search Amazon for another film - so I suffered though it. 1 hr. 39 min of my life I will never get back!

MV/Liberace!

the royal tenenbaums.

weak plot, weak characters... just a pile of suck.  gene hackman was the only thing that made this film even REMOTELY watchable for me.  i'll watch anything if hackman is in it.

i watched this because recently i went to a website featuring the "50 greatest films of the last decade."  i thought, "what the hell," and downloaded about 25 of them.  this was on the list.  yawn.  i think another problem with this film is the number of well known actors it features.  that sometimes tends to take me out of the movie.  oh, and i think danny glover's inclusion in ANYTHING is an act of charity or a demonstration of political solidarity... or both.

MV/Liberace!

History of Violence - Recommended.

Little Miss Sunshine - Very highly recommended.

ziznak

Quote from: MV on July 01, 2012, 04:23:23 PM
recently i went to a website featuring the "50 greatest films of the last decade."  i thought, "what the hell," and downloaded about 25 of them. 
Which list were you looking at? 

ziznak

cool I queued up a few movies from that paste site earlier.  Looks like they listed some quirky titles.  Lots of films I never even heard of.

ziznak

"the Raven" was actually pretty good.  Cusack actually was a good choice for the part and bears a striking resemblance to Poe.

Gawd, Amelia sucked.

I don't know why I do that to myself.