• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Election night 2016

Started by bateman, November 08, 2016, 11:02:51 AM

GravitySucks

Quote from: Taaroa on November 10, 2016, 01:55:11 AM
Speaking as one of these non Americans interested in your politics, there are probably a few other points you can make:
1) Our election cycles are very quick and the personalities which are at the head of it are less important (in fact they get replaced often enough without going to election)
2) American elections are interesting and amusing to watch because really anything seems like it can happen, and they're very accessible thanks to your media.
3) It's a bit of escapism where we can throw support behind one candidate and feel like we have a horse in the race, while at the same time we are far enough removed that - whatever the outcome - there aren't likely to be direct/immediate effects (unlike our own elections).

You might also be able to say that thanks to the all pervasive American media and culture, a lot of people lose sight of the fact that they aren't American.

Welcome Taaroa. Post often. Nice to see a different perspective. What part of the world are you from?

Taaroa

Quote from: GravitySucks on November 10, 2016, 02:00:28 AM
Welcome Taaroa. Post often. Nice to see a different perspective. What part of the world are you from?

I'd rather not say, but we did have elections earlier this year and it was ~2months from announcement to election day.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Taaroa on November 10, 2016, 02:19:35 AM
I'd rather not say, but we did have elections earlier this year and it was ~2months from announcement to election day.

No problem. That is why I asked just for the part of the world. Welcome to bellgab.

Lilith

Speaking as one of these non Americans interested in your politics, there are probably a few other points you can make:
1) Our election cycles are very quick and the personalities which are at the head of it are less important (in fact they get replaced often enough without going to election)
2) American elections are interesting and amusing to watch because really anything seems like it can happen, and they're very accessible thanks to your media.
3) It's a bit of escapism where we can throw support behind one candidate and feel like we have a horse in the race, while at the same time we are far enough removed that - whatever the outcome - there aren't likely to be direct/immediate effects (unlike our own elections).

You might also be able to say that thanks to the all pervasive American media and culture, a lot of people lose sight of the fact that they aren't American.

Welcome to bellgab!  Please post often!

Praise MV!

henge0stone

I stayed up pretty late, it was exciting to see an upset even though I hate trump and hillary for different reasons

MV/Liberace!

good points.

post often.

chefist

I like your analysis...but I honestly assume other countries are not really interested in our elections...we in the US are often reminded that we are not the center of the universe, and that we should mind our own business...so, that is what I do...

I hope the world was entertained!

Taaroa

Quote from: chefist... on November 15, 2016, 08:13:09 PM
I like your analysis...but I honestly assume other countries are not really interested in our elections...we in the US are often reminded that we are not the center of the universe, and that we should mind our own business...so, that is what I do...

I hope the world was entertained!

I think you can safely say no one outside America cares about your non presidential elections. But if you want to know how badly they care about the presidential results... well there have been anti Trump protests in my city, social media is full of people making comments along the lines of "how can Americans be so dumb/America is screwed/we're screwed", and politicians are crawling out of the woodwork saying that we should rethink our ties with the US.

I'd really like to know why people think they need to protest the result of an election on the other side of the planet and whether it's some kind of narcissism in which these people think so highly of themselves that people thousands of miles away will of course pay attention to their opinions.

Juan

paladin1991

Quote from: Taaroa on November 16, 2016, 01:40:34 AM
I think you can safely say no one outside America cares about your non presidential elections. But if you want to know how badly they care about the presidential results... well there have been anti Trump protests in my city, social media is full of people making comments along the lines of "how can Americans be so dumb/America is screwed/we're screwed", and politicians are crawling out of the woodwork saying that we should rethink our ties with the US.

Well, I'm not sure where you are from.  But I am sure, that as an American, I don't give a fuck.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Joe Shit the Ragman on November 16, 2016, 05:49:09 PM
Well, I'm not sure where you are from.  But I am sure, that as an American, I don't give a fuck.

I'm pretty sure that as a long haired, weed thumping, bible smoking, gun toting, Mexican-American, I totally fucking agree.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 16, 2016, 06:06:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that as a long haired, weed thumping, bible smoking, gun toting, Mexican-American, I totally fucking agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtFb_xem6k8

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 16, 2016, 06:06:01 PM

Thrice is nice.  I couldn't fucking agree more.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 16, 2016, 06:11:14 PM
Thrice is nice.  I couldn't fucking agree more.

Have Gun, Will Travel?  ???

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 16, 2016, 06:14:01 PM
Have Gun, Will Travel?  ???

That's right. Paladin. I'm feeling agressive right now. 

theONE

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 16, 2016, 06:15:59 PM
That's right. Paladin. I'm feeling agressive right now.

hey 21, do you wanna fight 12-th Century Man ?
I'm getting drunk on red wine tonight and getting mellow and you felling agressive ..so let's fucking have a digital fight you fucking pixel

albrecht

Quote from: theONE on November 16, 2016, 08:44:48 PM
hey 21, do you wanna fight 12-th Century Man ?
I'm getting drunk on red wine tonight and getting mellow and you felling agressive ..so let's fucking have a digital fight you fucking pixel
I wonder if there ever has been a study? Certain types of booze seem to bring out different outcomes? Cheap wine, brings fights or rants. Whiskey (American, especially cheap) brings out fights or wild parties and if mixed biggly with coke is football watching live (HS, College, etc.) Wine brings out sleep or romance. Beer brings out watching sports or fishing or working in the yard, more maintenance. Vodka is a wildcard but less hungover, regardless. Scotch and brandy/cognac bring out conspiratorial talk and/or business or legal discussions.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on November 16, 2016, 08:56:45 PM
I wonder if there ever has been a study? Certain types of booze seem to bring out different outcomes? Cheap wine, brings fights or rants. Whiskey (American, especially cheap) brings out fights or wild parties and if mixed biggly with coke is football watching live (HS, College, etc.) Wine brings out sleep or romance. Beer brings out watching sports or fishing or working in the yard, more maintenance. Vodka is a wildcard but less hungover, regardless. Scotch and brandy/cognac bring out conspiratorial talk and/or business or legal discussions.

Interesting idea. I somehow doubt it though. I'd say it correlates more to a sort of low tolerance to addictive personality ratio. I have a fairly low tolerance for alcohol but it usually just results in my sleeping. My brother also had a low tolerance but on the other hand would often become quite surly after a few drinks, though neither of us I would consider alcoholic. When I've looked into the biography of Hank Williams (who had a reputation as a bad drunk) his band mates said it wasn't that he drank so much but that he would be off his ass after two or three whereas most musicians were just getting going at that point. He had a reputation for getting in fights during concerts. Apparently, he never bought an expensive guitar because he knew it would just end up getting smashed over some dude's head.  :D

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 16, 2016, 09:05:05 PM
Interesting idea. I somehow doubt it though. I'd say it correlates more to a sort of low tolerance to addictive personality ratio. I have a fairly low tolerance for alcohol but it usually just results in my sleeping. My brother also had a low tolerance but on the other hand would often become quite surly after a few drinks, though neither of us I would consider alcoholic. When I've looked into the biography of Hank Williams (who had a reputation as a bad drunk) his band mates said it wasn't that he drank so much but that he would be off his ass after two or three whereas most musicians were just getting going at that point. He had a reputation for getting in fights during concerts. Apparently, he never bought an expensive guitar because he knew it would just end up getting smashed over some dude's head.  :D
Oh yeah, the study would have to be across a wide, diverse population to have any merit (and even then, doubtful, at that!) And much of it would have so many variables that would be useless (style of drinking different beverages, as you mention the individuals involved, etc.) But I imagine one could do a same level of alcohol in system but delivered by different beverages over the same (abv) course of time and see if any differences in acute effect (anger, humor, sleepiness, inhibitions, sexual, coordination, etc) and later in hangover? Presumably the delivery system shouldn't matter for the first acute symptoms once a same blood-level achieved but for the latter people always have theories.

You all should go straight edge like Trump. ;D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: HLF on November 16, 2016, 09:13:03 PM

I almost never drink alcohol. Weed, that's a different story.  ;) ;)

albrecht

Yeah, ha.
"Never trust a man who doesn't drink." - W.C. Fields

But kidding, I've known some who haven't but always a bit suspect of self-righteous types.

theONE

Quote from: albrecht on November 16, 2016, 08:56:45 PM

LOL. your summation is quite accurate and funny at the same time...I must admit that I cheated tonight because I also had few tokes
from my water pipe--no it was not dry yaks dung, it was nice Afgani, but the 12-th Century Savage is nowhere to be found, ..that pixel

theONE

I'm preparing post about fucking asshole actor Robert De'Niro
I will rip him a new one ...

mikuthing01

I couldn't afford my hobbies if i weren't straight edge. Alcohol, cigarettes and drugs are a waste of money that could be spent on guns or off roading my man.