• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Video Gaming

Started by trostol, December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 AM

Recently picked up Fallout 4, Diablo 3, Wasteland 2.  Got a bit of buyer's remorse on the latter two, but even Fallout 4 was a bit disappointing.  They don't make 'em like they used to.

trostol

Quote from: Emergency Bacon on January 08, 2016, 04:51:31 PM
Recently picked up Fallout 4, Diablo 3, Wasteland 2.  Got a bit of buyer's remorse on the latter two, but even Fallout 4 was a bit disappointing.  They don't make 'em like they used to.

FO4 is good...just a lot to absorb in a way...had heard good things about WL2 though...

zeebo

Quote from: Emergency Bacon on January 08, 2016, 04:51:31 PM
...They don't make 'em like they used to.

There's always retro gaming ... where the graphics are clunky, but the fun is plentiful. ;)  (Also some good indie games, at least on pc.)

The Snorchlax

funny i see this thread

i was just playing double dragon II

Quote from: trostol on January 08, 2016, 05:16:06 PM
FO4 is good...just a lot to absorb in a way...had heard good things about WL2 though...

WL2 is a solid RPG with shoddy presentation and graphics, FO4 has great presentation and graphics but is a shoddy RPG.  They have similar themes but are kind of inverted from each other from a design perspective.  Both good games depending on what mood you're in.

Quote from: zeebo on January 09, 2016, 02:06:30 PM
There's always retro gaming ... where the graphics are clunky, but the fun is plentiful. ;)  (Also some good indie games, at least on pc.)

Agreed.  I've got all my favourites backed up on emulator. And the modern retro games being made are pretty awesome too.  Just saw this one today called Punch Club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=345g7VNvnOo

trostol

Quote from: Emergency Bacon on January 09, 2016, 05:39:58 PM
Agreed.  I've got all my favourites backed up on emulator. And the modern retro games being made are pretty awesome too.  Just saw this one today called Punch Club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=345g7VNvnOo

i just saw that game also lol

Hautex

If you are a golf game fan and plat "The Golf Club" version, I just finished creating a new tour called the "Bellgab Time Traveler Tour". Rated easy by the golf club and comprised of courses I built. Some are serious courses and a couple are easy but a bit extreme in elevation changes that a golf cart would not be able to complete without a hemi..... happy playing...

Auslandia

I haven't played video games in a decade or more -- actually since Tribes 2.  So I bought Call of Duty 4 for $9.99 and it was kind of fun but what pissed me off even more was that the multiplayer doesn't work anymore.  Oh well back to no games lol.

norland2424

Quote from: Auslandia on January 11, 2016, 08:57:36 PM
I haven't played video games in a decade or more -- actually since Tribes 2.  So I bought Call of Duty 4 for $9.99 and it was kind of fun but what pissed me off even more was that the multiplayer doesn't work anymore.  Oh well back to no games lol.

You shazbot try a newer shooter  ;D.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Auslandia on January 11, 2016, 08:57:36 PM

This isn't like the show threads. We need details here. System your playing it on?

Auslandia

Quote from: norland2424 on January 11, 2016, 09:20:30 PM
You shazbot try a newer shooter  ;D.

I used to crack myself up with Shazbots followed by Yes Yes YES YES YES from the peanut gallery.  I used to love clan competition in Tribes 2 but I just don't have the time anymore.  I was hoping for a little fun out of COD.  I'm sure there are good ones with good multiplayer mods.  I just picked the wrong one I guess.

Auslandia

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 11, 2016, 09:22:23 PM
This isn't like the show threads. We need details here. System your playing it on?

Macbook pro -- I went through Steam for COD.  Played through the single player missions to learn the controls.  I got a little bored.  I really enjoy multiplayer but I think I need something modded with cooler features.  Probably something with good characters so that team play is has more strategy -- meaning, snipers, heavies, etc. maybe vehicles too.  I dunno

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Auslandia on January 11, 2016, 09:25:25 PM
Macbook pro -- I went through Steam for COD.  Played through the single player missions to learn the controls.  I got a little bored.  I really enjoy multiplayer but I think I need something modded with cooler features.  Probably something with good characters so that team play is has more strategy -- meaning, snipers, heavies, etc. maybe vehicles too.  I dunno

Yeah, gaming's a little tougher for us mac dudes. If you bought it through Steam recently shouldn't there be a multiplayer option? Or is it just that no one's playing it anymore? If you want to emulate older games install this: http://openemu.org/ but select the experimental version because it will allow more emulators to run. Works great on my mini!

Auslandia

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 11, 2016, 09:30:44 PM
Yeah, gaming's a little tougher for us mac dudes. If you bought it through Steam recently shouldn't there be a multiplayer option? Or is it just that no one's playing it anymore? If you want to emulate older games install this: http://openemu.org/ but select the experimental version because it will allow more emulators to run. Works great on my mini!

thanks I'll check that out -- it looks like Steam isn't supporting COD4 anymore because of punkbuster incompatibility or something akin to that.  All the multiplayer servers are empty.  I was mildly annoyed but not annoyed enough to buy a more recent game.  What I really want is for Tribes 2 to suddenly come back to life lol.

trostol

Quote from: The King of Kings on January 11, 2016, 09:52:14 PM
Anyone play Civ 5?

i did...think i removed it from my pc and have been meaning to put it back on

comaphobe

I haven't played anything proper in over a decade. Recently (10 or so years) I have just played with the PSP or the Rollercoaster Tycoon games on the PC. The last relevant games I played were GTA San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, and Ace Combat 5 on PS2.

I always revert back to 8 and 16 bit though. Emulation on a PC, or preferably on PSP where the button configuration is so natural and the games look natural and even excellent on that size of screen. My favorite emulators are for Colecovision, Commodore 64, and Super Nintendo. I spend the most time playing games from these 3 systems. They are my personal favorite 8 and 16 bit game machines of all time so of all of my emulators (30 or so) these 3 get used most often. I also use a Turbografx16/NEC PC Engine emulator for Galaga '88 which was an excellent sequel to Galaga.

Some of my favorite retro games are Impossible Mission (C64), Montezuma's Revenge (C64), Raid Over Moscow (C64), Space Taxi (C64) Frenzy (Colecovision), Tetris Attack (SNES), Orb 3D (NES), Baseball Simulator .1000 (NES), Donkey Kong Country 2-3 (SNES), Earthworm Jim 2 (SNES), Gauntlet 1-2, and a few games that were for Gameboy like Ghostbusters II, Final Fantasy, and Revenge of Gator (a very awesome pinball game).

I have tried many different emulators and games on phone with piss-poor results. the concept of touchscreen adds so much latency that playing 99% of games is either redundant or totally impossible. The only game I can play for an emulated machine on my phone while having moderate success rate is Baseball Simulator 1000 (NES) or maybe Revenge of Gator (Gameboy). Any other game moves too fast to control properly, even Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are too difficult to navigate through the alphabet while a timer is counting down. Without a proper controller or d-pad playing most things on a phone is too stressful. One time I tried to play Contra and even did the up up down down left right B A start trick at the sliding menu screen and I still didn't make it to the final stage.

So many retro games to talk about, so little time. I love Commodore I even have tattoo.

trostol

bout to start up Witcher 3

albrecht

Quote from: comaphobe on January 12, 2016, 02:21:56 AM
I haven't played anything proper in over a decade. Recently (10 or so years) I have just played with the PSP or the Rollercoaster Tycoon games on the PC. The last relevant games I played were GTA San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, and Ace Combat 5 on PS2.

I always revert back to 8 and 16 bit though. Emulation on a PC, or preferably on PSP where the button configuration is so natural and the games look natural and even excellent on that size of screen. My favorite emulators are for Colecovision, Commodore 64, and Super Nintendo. I spend the most time playing games from these 3 systems. They are my personal favorite 8 and 16 bit game machines of all time so of all of my emulators (30 or so) these 3 get used most often. I also use a Turbografx16/NEC PC Engine emulator for Galaga '88 which was an excellent sequel to Galaga.

Some of my favorite retro games are Impossible Mission (C64), Montezuma's Revenge (C64), Raid Over Moscow (C64), Space Taxi (C64) Frenzy (Colecovision), Tetris Attack (SNES), Orb 3D (NES), Baseball Simulator .1000 (NES), Donkey Kong Country 2-3 (SNES), Earthworm Jim 2 (SNES), Gauntlet 1-2, and a few games that were for Gameboy like Ghostbusters II, Final Fantasy, and Revenge of Gator (a very awesome pinball game).

I have tried many different emulators and games on phone with piss-poor results. the concept of touchscreen adds so much latency that playing 99% of games is either redundant or totally impossible. The only game I can play for an emulated machine on my phone while having moderate success rate is Baseball Simulator 1000 (NES) or maybe Revenge of Gator (Gameboy). Any other game moves too fast to control properly, even Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are too difficult to navigate through the alphabet while a timer is counting down. Without a proper controller or d-pad playing most things on a phone is too stressful. One time I tried to play Contra and even did the up up down down left right B A start trick at the sliding menu screen and I still didn't make it to the final stage.

So many retro games to talk about, so little time. I love Commodore I even have tattoo.
What no Vectrex? Still works and though I've lost the screen deal the games are still good!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 12, 2016, 07:58:29 PM
What no Vectrex? Still works and though I've lost the screen deal the games are still good!

Lucky duck! Those are so cool! I have the app version on my iPad. I've never actually played a real Vectrex before. What games do you have?

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 12, 2016, 08:25:13 PM
Lucky duck! Those are so cool! I have the app version on my iPad. I've never actually played a real Vectrex before. What games do you have?
Not as much as I would like. Interestingly some kids still like 'old games' like Vectrex and the standalone (cheating, I know, with the 'super chip' so many games) and, for once, ability to rival or beat them!
Armor Attack
Scramble (the best game!)
Solar Quest
and a few others I can't remember.
ps: want I really want is a Tempest stand alone. Some games need special controls and can't 'super chip' to get real play.

trostol

friend used to have one..was kind of cool back then

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 12, 2016, 08:39:41 PM
Not as much as I would like. Interestingly some kids still like 'old games' like Vectrex and the standalone (cheating, I know, with the 'super chip' so many games) and, for once, ability to rival or beat them!
Armor Attack
Scramble (the best game!)
Solar Quest
and a few others I can't remember.
ps: want I really want is a Tempest stand alone. Some games need special controls and can't 'super chip' to get real play.

Those are good games! I really like Armor Attack a lot. There wasn't a lot of crap for the system. I also really like the Vectrex version of Pole Position and another called Fortress of Narzod.

Yes, games with spinner controls really can't work well with other controllers. Though I'm sure you could probably get some sort of USB spinner now to play those games in MAME. Maybe try a google search. A cabinet would be sweet! I just don't have the money or space to start that sort of collection  :P

zeebo

I...The last relevant games I played were GTA San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater, and Ace Combat 5 on PS2...

Snake Eater was cool - my fave of the MGS series.  Another fun one on PS2 I just remembered was Burnout: Takedown - what a fun game.  And of course Deus Ex. (I guess the PC version was supposedly better but I loved the console version/controls.)

i play a lot of the old games on a DSlite using an Acekard 2 loaded with emulators. i've been playing movies on that same hand held. they play really well and the sound is amazing when using ear buds. nice way to kill time at an airport.  ;D

comaphobe

I have never played one, it looks really cool though. I think vector based games were totally solid. I am going to look for an emulator this week and check it out. There are ways to USB a trackball or dial controller to a PC. Some people have also built MAME cabinets with built-in control hardware for many different styles of games. If you knew how you could wire a button config into a single board with a stick, a roller, and a dial. Ebay might have options.

Quote from: zeebo on January 13, 2016, 12:34:37 AM
Snake Eater was cool - my fave of the MGS series.  Another fun one on PS2 I just remembered was Burnout: Takedown - what a fun game.  And of course Deus Ex. (I guess the PC version was supposedly better but I loved the console version/controls.)
Snake Eater is also my favorite game of the series. I haven't played any MGS games beyond PS2 or PSP and with PSP it was online mode almost exclusively collecting unique soldiers and weapons. MGS3 was so good, I think it is my favorite game of all time. I liked the story and gameplay, but also the easter eggs and all the little hidden things throughout. The whole concept was great.

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on January 13, 2016, 04:09:38 PM
i play a lot of the old games on a DSlite using an Acekard 2 loaded with emulators. i've been playing movies on that same hand held. they play really well and the sound is amazing when using ear buds. nice way to kill time at an airport.  ;D
Do you need to hack the DS in order to play common media formats? Can you quickly plug in and drop roms or files into a folder really quick using USB? My PSPs are factory firmware 6.35 to 6.37 and I am able to run so much on them without any modding; swf, mp4, mp3, m4a, wma, pdf, txt, html, php, css, javascript, many retail eboots, countless emulation.. and tons of homebrew like ms word clone, code writers, ftp client, torrent downloader, youtube loader, a paint clone, a simplified google earth clone, a star mapper, a file manager/explorer, converters and calculators, internet radio, and live audio streams through RSS. I've gotten on trains for 3-4 days with 4-5 extended life batteries and 59-60 gigs of data in the PSP. It was prepared for Armageddon.

I recently added about 25 games to my PSP collection. I grabbed a bunch for .74 - $1.49 each when an EB near me decided it was time to unload their PSP inventory and reduce all their games to no more than $4.99 then reduced them all again 85% more. Several were only a quarter, like 25 cents with booket/manual, case, and unmolested UMD. It was insane, only 2-3 of them were sports games, but the rest were real games that used to retail for a premium price tag. Now I have a couple of dozen unplayed games on top of a few dozen already unplayed games as well as a handful of games I am not even finished playing since this PSP thing began on a whim after missing a bus on my way to work one day in 2007. There is just no frigging time. I am invested in PSP until the year 2037. I always comb through racks and find awesome shit when it's the right price. I still have a few I'm trying to track down.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: comaphobe on January 14, 2016, 02:07:47 AM
I have never played one, it looks really cool though. I think vector based games were totally solid. I am going to look for an emulator this week and check it out. There are ways to USB a trackball or dial controller to a PC. Some people have also built MAME cabinets with built-in control hardware for many different styles of games. If you knew how you could wire a button config into a single board with a stick, a roller, and a dial. Ebay might have options.
Snake Eater is also my favorite game of the series. I haven't played any MGS games beyond PS2 or PSP and with PSP it was online mode almost exclusively collecting unique soldiers and weapons. MGS3 was so good, I think it is my favorite game of all time. I liked the story and gameplay, but also the easter eggs and all the little hidden things throughout. The whole concept was great.
Do you need to hack the DS in order to play common media formats? Can you quickly plug in and drop roms or files into a folder really quick using USB? My PSPs are factory firmware 6.35 to 6.37 and I am able to run so much on them without any modding; swf, mp4, mp3, m4a, wma, pdf, txt, html, php, css, javascript, many retail eboots, countless emulation.. and tons of homebrew like ms word clone, code writers, ftp client, torrent downloader, youtube loader, a paint clone, a simplified google earth clone, a star mapper, a file manager/explorer, converters and calculators, internet radio, and live audio streams through RSS. I've gotten on trains for 3-4 days with 4-5 extended life batteries and 59-60 gigs of data in the PSP. It was prepared for Armageddon.

I recently added about 25 games to my PSP collection. I grabbed a bunch for .74 - $1.49 each when an EB near me decided it was time to unload their PSP inventory and reduce all their games to no more than $4.99 then reduced them all again 85% more. Several were only a quarter, like 25 cents with booket/manual, case, and unmolested UMD. It was insane, only 2-3 of them were sports games, but the rest were real games that used to retail for a premium price tag. Now I have a couple of dozen unplayed games on top of a few dozen already unplayed games as well as a handful of games I am not even finished playing since this PSP thing began on a whim after missing a bus on my way to work one day in 2007. There is just no frigging time. I am invested in PSP until the year 2037. I always comb through racks and find awesome shit when it's the right price. I still have a few I'm trying to track down.

If you like vector games check out the arcade rom gravitar. It's like lunar lander x asteriods with the ever increasing physics of planetary gravitation. It was originally an all button game but I assign my stick for turning and just use buttons for everything else. It's a lot of fun and gets VERY challenging. I rarely make it very far. In fact, I've never got out of the first level but I keep trying. Maybe one day. Still, it's one of my favorite arcade games.

Coffeeman

Quote from: The King of Kings on January 11, 2016, 09:52:14 PM
Anyone play Civ 5?

I tried, but it was a little dumbed down for me. Or it seemed like it. I couldn't really get into any session I'd start, whereas I had some serious "just one more turn" addiction wih Civ IV. The hexagonal grid system was pretty neat, though.