• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Dr. MD MD

When I was somewhere between 5 and 10 years old I had a big thing for this show. They often aired the reruns during lunch hour and/or after school. Chuck Connors was such a bad ass dad! Pew! Pew! Pew!  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW6Ki8wpL5s

Rix Gins

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is my favorite Western but I also like those 1930s John Wayne Westerns with Yakima Canutt and Gabby Hayes.  I also like the 1930's Hopalong Cassidy's too.

Do you know Tuco's (the Ugly) full name in The G.B.&U.?  I looked it up online once but have since memorized it.  The hangman announces it shortly before (trying to) hang him.  It is 'Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez.'  And he was being hung for tons of reasons that I haven't memorized. Things like murder...assaulting a Justice of the Peace...raping a virgin of the White race...statutory rape of a minor of the Black race...of derailing of trains in order to rob the passengers; ...robbing an unknown number of post offices...catching and selling fugitive slaves...setting fire to a wagon train, etcetera and etcetera.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 20, 2017, 09:41:06 PM
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is my favorite Western but I also like those 1930s John Wayne Westerns with Yakima Canutt and Gabby Hayes.  I also like the 1930's Hopalong Cassidy's too.

Do you know Tuco's (the Ugly) full name in The G.B.&U.?  I looked it up online once but have since memorized it.  The hangman announces it shortly before (trying to) hang him.  It is 'Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez.'  And he was being hung for tons of reasons that I haven't memorized. Things like murder...assaulting a Justice of the Peace...raping a virgin of the White race...statutory rape of a minor of the Black race...of derailing of trains in order to rob the passengers; ...robbing an unknown number of post offices...catching and selling fugitive slaves...setting fire to a wagon train, etcetera and etcetera.

The charges rival some ISIS type! Why didn't Obama defend him? Both a "Ramones" show and, several years later, a "Metallica" show later, here in Texas, used the theme as intro music while they came on stage and segued into their "music" (yes, I love them both but music, unsure on.)

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 18, 2017, 10:11:26 PM
... but really love the Spaghetti westerns...

That's where I tend to go.  "Once Upon a Time in the West" is up there and I also favor the Trinity flicks, with "My Name is Nobody" at the top.  Terence Hill AND Henry Fonda together are hard to top.  Another favorite of mine, a more recent remake, is "3:10 to Yuma."  Russell Crowe is fantastic.  The original with Glenn Ford is a classic but I actually favor Crowe's showing as the bad guy.  The dude abides.

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on April 20, 2017, 09:59:22 PM
Tuco!  ;D
The GBU intro was the best theme going into both bands that I've seen. Though was topped by the Jello Biafra tape (DK) intro into a Megadeth show. Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_64X2pEveo

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 20, 2017, 09:41:06 PM

That is my favorite spaghetti Western largely due to the additional presence of Wallach.  Tuco is the best character ever to emerge from the spaghettie western.  I also enjoy Wallach in How the West Was Won where he played a really smarmy character as well.

Rix Gins

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 21, 2017, 01:34:27 AM
YOU SON OF A BIT......AYAAYEAYAYAYA WA-WAH-WUH.

Ha, 21st, I could hear your post so clearly!  (Doc's too.)  lol

comaphobe

Quote from: albrecht on April 20, 2017, 10:05:54 PM
The GBU intro was the best theme going into both bands that I've seen. Though was topped by the Jello Biafra tape (DK) intro into a Megadeth show. Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_64X2pEveo

Jello's spoken word with NWO commentary over top of Black Sabbath was actually the lead-off track to Ice-T's 1989 album called The Iceberg.

Megadeth is touring with Ice T and Body Count this year. Apparently Mustaine guests on one track of the new Body Count album that came out a few weeks ago.

If you think Shut Up, Be Happy is cool, check out Jello with Ministry... They were called LARD and had several full length albums with similar Orwellian themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK06Hl5DkrI

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 21, 2017, 01:32:27 AM
That is my favorite spaghetti Western largely due to the additional presence of Wallach.  Tuco is the best character ever to emerge from the spaghettie western.  I also enjoy Wallach in How the West Was Won where he played a really smarmy character as well.
What a trio.  8)  Eastwood, Wallach, and Lee Van Cleef.  Van Cleef made for one bad-ass dude.

yumyumtree

So today I bought a DVD of season 1 of The Office at the Everett library for one dollar. I haver never seen it, because, as you know, I stopped watching TV some years ago. I thought Gary Cole was in that, but I guess not, or not in season 1 anyway.

albrecht

Quote from: comaphobe on April 21, 2017, 02:27:05 AM
Jello's spoken word with NWO commentary over top of Black Sabbath was actually the lead-off track to Ice-T's 1989 album called The Iceberg.

Megadeth is touring with Ice T and Body Count this year. Apparently Mustaine guests on one track of the new Body Count album that came out a few weeks ago.

If you think Shut Up, Be Happy is cool, check out Jello with Ministry... They were called LARD and had several full length albums with similar Orwellian themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK06Hl5DkrI
Thanks. I recall the Jello was somehow with Ice-T. For some reason Mega here is with Skorpions? And they headliner not Mega? And no pit but chairs only? Oh well demographic, esp of Scorpions ageing?  Hell so am I. Haha. Will still go, of course. And tho S headliner I fan deal. They have good stuff even tho a bit perplexed that Mega wasnt topbill.

Taaroa

The last Western I watched was Il Mercenario/The Mercenary, which is about a Polish mercenary participating in the Mexican Revolution. Has a soundtrack by Ennio Morricone and a pretty good duel scene.

I just finished watching second season of the Expanse. Probably not as good as the first season, but still the best scifi show since the Battlestar Galactica remake. The actress of one of the new main characters isn't particularly good, but she did improve a bit before the end of the season. CGI certainly looks better.

zeebo

Quote from: yumyumtree on April 21, 2017, 09:17:40 PM
So today I bought a DVD of season 1 of The Office at the Everett library for one dollar. I haver never seen it, because, as you know, I stopped watching TV some years ago. I thought Gary Cole was in that, but I guess not, or not in season 1 anyway.

Is that the original Brit version or the American remake?  I've never watched the supposedly better original, but I love the remake (w/ Steve Carell, Rainn Wilson  etc.), especially the first three seasons.  If that's what your watching, be sure to catch the outtakes which are usually on the last disc of the season - some of the funniest scenes never made it to screen.

zeebo

Quote from: Taaroa on April 21, 2017, 10:27:20 PM
I just finished watching second season of the Expanse. Probably not as good as the first season, but still the best scifi show since the Battlestar Galactica remake....

Good to hear, I'm waiting for the netflix release so I can binge it.

yumyumtree

Quote from: zeebo on April 22, 2017, 11:29:36 PM
Is that the original Brit version or the American remake?  I've never watched the supposedly better original, but I love the remake (w/ Steve Carell, Rainn Wilson  etc.), especially the first three seasons.  If that's what your watching, be sure to catch the outtakes which are usually on the last disc of the season - some of the funniest scenes never made it to screen.
It's the American one.

GravitySucks

I know it is not a movie...

https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/kurios

Went to this year's traveling Cirque show. If this show is coming to a town near you, and you are interested in a review - here are my thoughts.

I have seen every Cirque traveling show since at least 2003 and most of the ones in Vegas.

This is not my favorite - not by a long shot. It wasn't nearly as high energy as most Cirque shows.

There are at least 4 acts/segments that were very weak and could have been cut entirely. They seened to have been included mainly just to eat up time. They lacked humor and were kind of obvious that they didn't meet the normally high standards.

The Asian women are still flexible as all get out. Any women that can sit on her own head gets my vote. I would have liked to see them do another segment.

The juggling was top notch and the yoyo act was really cool.

Some interesting aerial work and the woman that did the aerial work with the bicycle was really gifted even if the choreography was more technical than it was artistic.

There is some amazing balancing work. Two segments come to mind. One act had chairs being stacked up, not just up from the stage, but also down from the top of the tent. Keep an eye on the people up top. They were amazingly skilled in making it look like the gravity was pulling them up to the top of the tent instead of reality. The second one involved a single gymnast showing what can be done with some serious indo board skills/practice.

The "trampoline" segment using a net as the tramp was really choreographed well.

Some of the traveling shows I would pay to see more than once. This is not one of them.

If you just love Cirque and have to see every show, go ahead and go - I am still glad I went. The Asian women (If I remember right, they are Chinese gymnasts) are always worth it.

If you have never seen a Cirque show, this might not be the best choice for a first timer. If you have extra money then go, just remember that there are better shows left to see. If this will break your budget, then hold off and save your money for a trip to Vegas and go see the Beatles Love show or Mystique. I haven't seen Ka yet. I think I have seen the rest, including the seductive Zumanity.

trostol

been binging on Bubbles, Ricky and Julian and their search for the Samsquanch and dope in Trailer Park Boys

zeebo

SredniVashtar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 21, 2017, 01:32:27 AM

And in The Magnificent Seven, which is a film that hasn't held up all that well, having seen it again a few weeks ago. Take out the music and it's a fairly bog-standard western that's only really notable for the cast.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 23, 2017, 03:29:27 PM
And in The Magnificent Seven, which is a film that hasn't held up all that well, having seen it again a few weeks ago. Take out the music and it's a fairly bog-standard western that's only really notable for the cast.

Yeah, it has a fairly routine plot but it is executed well.  Not my favorite western by a long shot but what a cast!  I liked the new version though I wondered why they didn't include a Hindu or Muslim in their racially diverse cast. ;D

SredniVashtar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 24, 2017, 02:47:28 PM
Yeah, it has a fairly routine plot but it is executed well.  Not my favorite western by a long shot but what a cast!  I liked the new version though I wondered why they didn't include a Hindu or Muslim in their racially diverse cast. ;D

I refused to watch the remake because I thought they were monkeying around with a classic until I saw the original again. They had people like James Coburn and Robert Vaughn in it but gave them hardly anything to do. 

coaster

The Dollars Trilogy is some of the best filming I've seen. Eli Wallach was a brilliant actor. I'm a big fan of westerns and spaghetti westerns, but John Wayne was hit or miss. There are only a few of his I really enjoyed. Stagecoach and True Grit are a couple good ones.

TigerLily

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 24, 2017, 02:56:51 PM
I refused to watch the remake [Magnifcent Seven] because I thought they were monkeying around with a classic until I saw the original again. They had people like James Coburn and Robert Vaughn in it but gave them hardly anything to do.

I still consider it a classic even though it was stolen from the Japanese. Seven Samurai

Quote from: coaster on April 24, 2017, 03:02:34 PM
The Dollars Trilogy is some of the best filming I've seen. Eli Wallach was a brilliant actor.

I love them too but Fistful of Dollars was another one stolen from the Japanese. Yojimbo. Sanjuro is a companion piece to Yojimbo like the Dollars trilogy. Clint Eastwood and Toshiro Mifune. Both so great in their respective roles

ItsOver

Quote from: SredniVashtar on April 23, 2017, 03:29:27 PM
It's OK and I'll watch it, if given the chance, just for the all-star cast.  I definitely could have done without the Chico tag-along character, though.  I just found him distracting and annoying.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on April 24, 2017, 02:47:28 PM
I didn't see the remake since most remakes generally suck anyway.  I imagine it could have been worse, though.

Some things should just be left well enough alone.

TigerLily

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 23, 2017, 01:28:34 AM
I know it is not a movie...

https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/kurios

Went to this year's traveling Cirque show. If this show is coming to a town near you, and you are interested in a review - here are my thoughts.

I have seen every Cirque traveling show since at least 2003 and most of the ones in Vegas.

This is not my favorite - not by a long shot. It wasn't nearly as high energy as most Cirque shows.

There are at least 4 acts/segments that were very weak and could have been cut entirely. They seened to have been included mainly just to eat up time. They lacked humor and were kind of obvious that they didn't meet the normally high standards.

The Asian women are still flexible as all get out. Any women that can sit on her own head gets my vote. I would have liked to see them do another segment.

The juggling was top notch and the yoyo act was really cool.

Some interesting aerial work and the woman that did the aerial work with the bicycle was really gifted even if the choreography was more technical than it was artistic.

There is some amazing balancing work. Two segments come to mind. One act had chairs being stacked up, not just up from the stage, but also down from the top of the tent. Keep an eye on the people up top. They were amazingly skilled in making it look like the gravity was pulling them up to the top of the tent instead of reality. The second one involved a single gymnast showing what can be done with some serious indo board skills/practice.

The "trampoline" segment using a net as the tramp was really choreographed well.

Some of the traveling shows I would pay to see more than once. This is not one of them.

If you just love Cirque and have to see every show, go ahead and go - I am still glad I went. The Asian women (If I remember right, they are Chinese gymnasts) are always worth it.

If you have never seen a Cirque show, this might not be the best choice for a first timer. If you have extra money then go, just remember that there are better shows left to see. If this will break your budget, then hold off and save your money for a trip to Vegas and go see the Beatles Love show or Mystique. I haven't seen Ka yet. I think I have seen the rest, including the seductive Zumanity.

I saw a Chinese circus in China. Definitely where Cirque du Soleil got their idea. It was amazing. I'm sure that is where Cirque gets many of their acrobats. As most of you probably know, that is where Jackie Chan started