• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

President Donald J. Trump

Started by The General, February 11, 2011, 01:33:34 AM

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Penis mv on January 15, 2017, 10:18:18 AM
AR-15 vs M2 Abrams?  Nope.  But tanks aren't much good in built up areas no matter how destructive they are designed to be. 

A few cruise missiles and those built-up areas start too look a lot less built up. See Aleppo.

Yorkshire pud

AR-15 vs M2 Abrams?  Nope.  But tanks aren't much good in built up areas no matter how destructive they are designed to be.  You know this.  A little creative thought on the part of the citizenry and those tanks become ovens.  Factor in the incredible number of vets who won't just 'stand by' and let it happen and the first American Civil War will look like a British High Tea.

Factor in that if a 'civil war' did occur (and I think it unlikely), it won't be firearms from the government (aka military) that causes the most casualties. It would be fear. Paranoia. It would be looting from the local shopping malls. And with so many armed civilians shooting each other because of that fear, the military wouldn't need to load a round. Not to say they wouldn't; they just wouldn't need to.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 15, 2017, 12:37:46 AM
For some reason, whenever Reader's Digest and "circus related apocalypse" are mentioned in the same thread,I'm always reminded of Lesson 3 in Hot to Write Good, by the late, occasionally great, and mostly forgotten, Michael O'Donoghue.

Some of the old timers here may also remember the author's impassioned impersonation on SNL of Elvis Presley after someone jammed knitting needles int his eyes. Or not, depending on how much damage they did to their memories at the time. ;) Unfortunately, it's not available on YT.

http://www.workableweb.com/_pages/tips_how_to_write_good.htm

That is some really funny stuff.  I don't really remember Michael O'Donoghue but there were  some fairly large gaps in my television viewing during those years. 

When it comes to exposition I tend to admire writers like Harold Robbins.  Rough example:

She gasped sharply at his touch and moaned softly as he continued to caress her alabaster.........

I remember discussing my taste in prose with one of my English professors.  Our talk ended with her muttering something about a misspent youth and a photographic mind.   I was complemented that she thought that I had a really good memory.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on January 15, 2017, 10:26:08 AM
When it comes to exposition I tend to admire writers like Harold Robbins.

Consider me unsurprised.

After a hard day slaving under the hairdryer she likes to unwind with a few aimless thrills.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 15, 2017, 10:23:34 AM
A few cruise missiles and those built-up areas start too look a lot less built up. See Aleppo.

An A1 could start at one end of a suburban street and drive straight down bulldozing the lot without having to stick a round in tne spout. Demoralisation is the key. As I said though, its not likely to happen. The USA is a rich country, for all its faults and anxieties.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 15, 2017, 10:25:45 AM
Factor in that if a 'civil war' did occur (and I think it unlikely), it won't be firearms from the government (aka military) that causes the most casualties. It would be fear. Paranoia. It would be looting from the local shopping malls. And with so many armed civilians shooting each other because of that fear, the military wouldn't need to load a round. Not to say they wouldn't; they just wouldn't need to.

Yeah, we need something like that to occur every 150 years or so just to clear the air.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 15, 2017, 12:37:46 AM
For some reason, whenever Reader's Digest and "circus related apocalypse" are mentioned in the same thread,I'm always reminded of Lesson 3 in Hot to Write Good, by the late, occasionally great, and mostly forgotten, Michael O'Donoghue.

http://www.workableweb.com/_pages/tips_how_to_write_good.htm
I had not seen that before. Hilarious!  ;D

Quote from: albrecht on January 15, 2017, 11:28:47 AM
I had not seen that before. Hilarious!  ;D

I thought you'd enjoy that. He wrote it for "National Lampoon" sometime in the seventies. And here he is with Jodie Foster on SNL in 1976. I just wish I could find the clip of his impression of Elvis with knitting needles jammed into his eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny837E635D0

Yorkshire pud

This series should be essential viewing to every teenager.  No-one else before or since has done anything close about the human condition and how things connect to everday life. Civil war?

https://youtu.be/MPcZ_5uCldg

norland2424

AR-15 vs M2 Abrams?  Nope.  But tanks aren't much good in built up areas no matter how destructive they are designed to be.  You know this.  A little creative thought on the part of the citizenry and those tanks become ovens.  Factor in the incredible number of vets who won't just 'stand by' and let it happen and the first American Civil War will look like a British High Tea.

i agree with what your saying, and vets and military personal/leos that decide that shooting fellow Americans is an unlawful order( which it would be) are our only saving grace.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: norland2424 on January 15, 2017, 11:57:17 AM
i agree with what your saying, and vets and military personal/leos that decide that shooting fellow Americans is an unlawful order( which it would be) are our only saving grace.

But they don't have to shoot anyone to see the carnage. Then who will they defend or attack out of the hundreds of thousands of marauding gangs?

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 15, 2017, 11:48:54 AM
This series should be essential viewing to every teenager.  No-one else before or since has done anything close about the human condition and how things connect to everday life. Civil war?

https://youtu.be/MPcZ_5uCldg

We may disagree on everything Pud, but one area we will always agree is that James Burke is a genius. As I said, I do not see a civil war coming, nothing close. Where I worry are solar flares. If we have one similar to the Carrington event of 1859 then stick a fork in it, this civilization is cooked in exactly the way Burke lays out in that video. The only people that will survive it are people that can run into a forest and do this kind of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLoukoBs8TE

If we ever lose the technology and civilization ends then my calamity kit consists of a handgun and a single bullet.

norland2424

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 15, 2017, 12:01:55 PM
But they don't have to shoot anyone to see the carnage. Then who will they defend or attack out of the hundreds of thousands of marauding gangs?

only alex jones can answer that question  :-\

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on January 15, 2017, 12:09:07 PM
We may disagree on everything Pud, but one area we will always agree is that James Burke is a genius. As I said, I do not see a civil war coming, nothing close. Where I worry are solar flares. If we have one similar to the Carrington event of 1859 then stick a fork in it, this civilization is cooked in exactly the way Burke lays out in that video. The only people that will survive it are people that can run into a forest and do this kind of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLoukoBs8TE

If we ever lose the technology and civilization ends then my calamity kit consists of a handgun and a single bullet.

Its a travesty that YT have lifted the whole episodes of Connections from the list. People are reduced to unsynching the sound with the video to get it online! It won't be politicians that rule the masses; its such as Google.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: norland2424 on January 15, 2017, 12:09:14 PM

Alex Jones sort of redefines adulthood.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 15, 2017, 12:13:40 PM
Its a travesty that YT have lifted the whole episodes of Connections from the list. People are reduced to unsynching the sound with the video to get it online! It won't be politicians that rule the masses; its such as Google.

Yeah, I've noticed. The sad thing is that if you want to buy them the original Connections is like $75 and the second Connections is out of print and goes for like $300. Burke's work has sort of fallen through the cracks of the television/internet world.

Kidnostad3

I wonder if Brits can tell when we're using bombast in our humor.  Maybe not so much.   ::)

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on January 15, 2017, 12:22:07 PM
I wonder if Brits can tell when we're using bombast in our humor.  Maybe not so much.   ::)

They never catch it, just like half of their humor flies over our heads. But it doesn't matter anyway, we're the greatest nation on earth. I think we should update the great seal and make the eagle's wings out of AR-15s. That would be bad ass.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: norland2424 on January 15, 2017, 12:09:14 PM

It doesn't take you long to go from agreeing with gunny to agreeing with pud. Just sayin.  ;)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on January 15, 2017, 12:24:51 PM
They never catch it, just like half of their humor flies over our heads. But it doesn't matter anyway, we're the greatest nation on earth. I think we should update the great seal and make the eagle's wings out of AR-15s. That would be bad ass.

Your next POTUS would beg to differ.. ::)

But do continue....

Dr. MD MD

Here's a Brit (and Morgan no less) making sense for a change.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZGrL7MiUYs

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 15, 2017, 12:27:36 PM
It doesn't take you long to go from agreeing with gunny to agreeing with pud. Just sayin.  ;)

That's only because in your world, its either/or. But don't concern yourself, the grownups will look after you.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on January 15, 2017, 12:24:51 PM

Nice touch!

norland2424

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 15, 2017, 12:27:36 PM

gunny knows what hes talking about, and alex should be mocked.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: norland2424 on January 15, 2017, 12:31:09 PM
gunny knows what hes talking about, and alex should me mocked.

Yes, you should be mocked. I agree!  :D

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 15, 2017, 12:29:33 PM
Here's a Brit (and Morgan no less) making sense for a change.  ;)

The clue is in 'friend'.... ::).

You all loved up with him now? Bless. Gamekeeper turned poacher. But be careful, ol Don might be influenced by Moron's take on the NRA.