• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

President Donald J. Trump

Started by The General, February 11, 2011, 01:33:34 AM

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 14, 2017, 05:50:49 PM
Atheism isn't a religion, and it doesn't claim to be. It just says that religious beliefs can't be proved objectively. I'd rather that than pretend that there's a mythical being that people have to take notice of. And, what's worse, everyone has to take notice of, whether they believe or not.

The point of freedom of religion is that it protects everyone, whether you want to believe or not. Otherwise  you could have a situation where a Muslim employer mandates that all his employees fast for Ramadan, or some such nonsense. Which is where this would lead in the end.

I'm not saying atheism is a religion just that some more of its more maniacal adherents act like it is such.  As for me, I'm somewhat religious but I don't pray very often or go to church that much.  Too much fakery in the modern churches for me.

As for your last point, I basically agree with what you say there.  Everyone should be able to worship as they please except c'mon providing Trojan condoms is not exactly the same as ordering people to fast for Ramadan.  Be reasonable.  People should buy their own rubbers not have them supplied by the government. 

I'm going long.  Nice chatting with you, SV.  Ciao for now.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 14, 2017, 03:32:31 PM
You're definitely on different pages, because this idiot hasn't read a book that doesn't have lift-up flaps. He's one of those people who has a victim mentality when it comes to Trump, and nothing you can say will change his mind.

Oh how little you know Ferret Boy.  I've read the entire western literary canon as of 2016.  The works of the major Russian authors I read in Mandarin just for the challenge with the exception of Pushkin whose writings I could not find a Mandirin translation of. (I had to substitute Swahili.)

After the claims you made in a recent post regarding your popularity among BelGabers, I decided to conduct an informal survey of that community to validate those claims.  I haven't finished arraying all the data yet but the preliminary results indicate that your likeability compares favorably to that of a dose of clap but you are edged out by jungle rot and herpes on an ascending scale.  Estimates of your I.Q. place you in a percentile that you share with hockey pucks and salad bars.  Reality can really suck sometimes can't it.

A word to the wise:  What you choose to do with the ferrets that you obviously have become emotionally involved with is your business as long as they are of the age of consent.  However, you shouldn't be surprised when a PETA goon squad shows up on your door step with fire in their eyes.

albrecht

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on January 14, 2017, 07:06:46 PM
  I've read the entire western literary canon as of 2016.  The works of the major Russian authors I read in Mandarin just for the challenge with the exception of Pushkin whose writings I could not find a Mandirin translation of. (I had to substitute Swahili.)

Although your reading of them in an Oriental or African language was a worthy effort the fact is that the "Western Canon" is often racist, sexist, homophobic, capitalist, Islamophobic, anti-LQBLIT, non-inclusive, biased, and every other bad thing. Some of the works can trigger readers and all of them force minorities to feel like outsiders and discriminated against, which entails more safe spaces necessitating raising tuition (which should be free!) The "Western Canon" should be removed from our libraries and especially our colleges and universities. Any works, from poetry to math and science, written by a white person- especially a male- is inherently biased and should not be taught in schools.

Jackstar

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 14, 2017, 05:00:36 PM
Go to Wal-mart and buy your own fucking condoms, for Christ's sake.   It's not like they cost a lot.  As a matter of fact, let the people pay for their own contraceptives if they want to screw around.  That shouldn't be the government's business at all.

Right. Your solution to teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease is to tell a teenager to go to the store and buy condoms in public.

What could go wrong? Half of my mother's sewing circle works at the Wal-Mart, I bet they can help size me.

Quote from: Route 66 on January 14, 2017, 04:52:18 PM
Actually he has [...] issued far fewer executive orders than previous presidents.

Let's see a source on that one, Ghost Rider.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 14, 2017, 03:54:01 PM
... If you're suggesting that Trump and his cohorts are going to invest in education, for example, then I'd say 'have at it' but that's obviously not what will happen, is it? They feed people like you - via talk radio - some pablum about the free market and you lap it up, blah, blah, blah...

Education here in the colonies is run at the local and state level. 

From their own website (translations mine) the Federal Dept of Education establishes certain policy (pushes Leftish claptrap), administers and coordinates most federal assistance to education (income redistribution, while taking a big cut to support a massive bureaucracy), collects data on US schools (in order to promote more societal division), and enforces federal educational laws regarding privacy and civil rights (as defined by the Left).

Not much about actual education in there, is there?  It should be abolished.

You can say 'black people'. We know what you mean.

... I don't think All Trump voters are ignorant morons, but he certainly has the ignorant moron vote pretty well sewn up at the moment...

Um, ok, the ''ignorant morons'' in our country are predominantly ''black people'', trapped in our large cities - with their awful schools - which have been run by the Left for 60 years.  So much for your ignorant Trump voter theory.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: albrecht on January 14, 2017, 07:28:19 PM
Although your reading of them in an Oriental or African language was a worthy effort the fact is that the "Western Canon" is often racist, sexist, homophobic, capitalist, Islamophobic, anti-LQBLIT, non-inclusive, biased, and every other bad thing. Some of the works can trigger readers and all of them force minorities to feel like outsiders and discriminated against, which entails more safe spaces necessitating raising tuition (which should be free!) The "Western Canon" should be removed from our libraries and especially our colleges and universities. Any works, from poetry to math and science, written by a white person- especially a male- is inherently biased and should not be taught in schools.

Well put sir, certainly food for thought. 

Quote from: albrecht on January 14, 2017, 04:33:24 PM
It aint over yet. Just these past weeks he had seized millions of acres, banned offshore drilling in many good regions, granted pardons to criminals, and is likely looking to grant more amnesty to illegals, pardons, and who knows how many other regulations. Over the course of his career he has done much by Executive fiat: releasing terrorists, sending millions in blackmail payments to Iran, drone attacks, granting amnesty to illegals, seizing land, entering us into "warming" treaties without Congressional assent, and so many regulations it is mind-boggling.

Since much of what he's done, plus the above possibilities, goes beyond the limits to his authority - for every new stunt he tries in his last few days, the Congress ought to file an injunction in court to halt the action and buy time until he leaves office.   Starting with his announcement the other day regarding Cuban refugees.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on January 14, 2017, 04:44:54 PM
What is the problem with protecting the environment and contraception? I though one of the issues was unwanted pregnancies? Or does the Catholic church have a pass when it comes to instilling indocrination that literally kills women every day because they're hidebound to the Vatican?

We live in a republic, which means the rule of law.  We have quite clear separation of powers, limits to various offices and bodies.

When someone like Obama simply decrees law, it doesn't matter whether it's good, bad, or indifferent.  What matters is we follow the law.  Obama swore to uphold the law - he didn't do so.  He told us he had ''a pen and a phone, and if Congress won't act I will''.

You are defending his Authoritarian actions, at the same time denying it's going on.  The problem here is what happens when we get a president that does the same, but on behalf of policies you don't agree with? 

PS, the same can be said about judges making rulings based on their personal preferences, rather than actually following the law.

Kidnostad3

I'm watching Water's World on Fox.  God help us it's true.  We've raised a generation of idiots and we don't have nearly enough villages for all of them.  It's probably going to require some kind of federal building program. 

Quote from: Route 66 on January 14, 2017, 04:52:18 PM
Actually he has deported far more illegals and issued far fewer executive orders than previous presidents...

Wrong on both counts.

During Obama's term they began including those turned around at the border in the ''deported'' statistics.  This administration has actually deported very few.  If we had real journalists in MSM, this confusion would have been cleared up and this fact included more broadly in related news articles.

As far as Executive Orders, the content is what matters.  EOs are meant to give direction to agencies under existing law, to further define Acts of Congress that explicitly give some degree of discretionary power to the executive branch, the ability to deal with emergencies, with taking certain action during war, and in fine-tuning policy choices - that's mostly what other presidents have done.  They are not meant for decreeing new law - which is what Obama has used them to do. 

Obama has abused EOs far more than any other president.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 14, 2017, 04:54:15 PM
Take a look at the numbers that were deported under Obama's watch and tell me he's soft on illegal immigration...

See above

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 14, 2017, 04:54:15 PM
... None of the things you adduced is remotely authoritarian...

Which explains your No vote on the Brexit

albrecht

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on January 14, 2017, 08:02:41 PM
I'm watching Water's World on Fox.  God help us it's true.  We've raised a generation of idiots and we don't have nearly enough villages for all of them.  It's probably going to require some kind of federal building program.
For sake of brevity and ease I will just post the wiki pages but their books have a lot to say about the state of affairs and the cause(s) or even the agenda. Of course there are several people who go into this subject.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Bloom
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Thomson_Iserbyt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Taylor_Gatto

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 14, 2017, 04:58:37 PM
They have the right to believe what they like, not to impose the consequences of those beliefs on others. You're supposed to be a modern industrial society, not some bloody medieval dunghill answerable to the sky fairies.

So a religious organization can't run their organization on their religious principles.  And it's not ''Authoritarian'' to force someone else's agenda and preferences on them.

Do I have that right?

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 14, 2017, 05:20:44 PM
As long as you are doing your job and not bringing the business into disrepute they don't have any right to interfere in the lives of their employees...

And neither should they be able to force the organization to do something against it's beliefs. 

How is this even an issue?

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 14, 2017, 05:37:31 PM
Show me where it says you don't have freedom of religion, otherwise I'll conclude you are full of shit. A meaningless formula like that isn't the same thing, and you know it. Or you ought to.

Amendments to the Constitution of the United States of America

Amendment I

''Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...''

First off - no law means no law on behalf of, and no law against.  Second, making a law forcing the nuns to provide contraceptives to their employees very clearly flies in the face of the above, regarding their ability to practice their religion as far as not contributing their organization's funds for contraceptives.

So important was this to the Framers, that these are the very first two clauses in the Bill of Rights.  None of this is difficult to follow.

Jackstar

Quote from: SredniVashtar on January 14, 2017, 05:20:44 PM
As long as you are doing your job and not bringing the business into disrepute they don't have any right to interfere in the lives of their employees.

Never, has your lack of understanding of how the health care system in the United States is structured, been more glaringly apparent.

Quote from: Jackstar on January 14, 2017, 08:22:15 PM

As I said, they changed the rules regarding who is counted as deported.

These statistics are less accurate than the various fake polls the Fake News Media puts out.  The real numbers of deported are considerably lower, the chart should look more like a complete drop off

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on January 14, 2017, 08:16:01 PM
Wrong on both counts.

During Obama's term they began including those turned around at the border in the ''deported'' statistics.  This administration has actually deported very few.  If we had real journalists in MSM, this confusion would have been cleared up and this fact included more broadly in related news articles.

As far as Executive Orders, the content is what matters.  EOs are meant to give direction to agencies under existing law, to further define Acts of Congress that explicitly give some degree of discretionary power to the executive branch, the ability to deal with emergencies, with taking certain action during war, and in fine-tuning policy choices - that's mostly what other presidents have done.  They are not meant for decreeing new law - which is what Obama has used them to do. 

Obama has abused EOs far more than any other president.

I believe in limited presidential powers and have no use for signing statements or any other unilateral executive actions  no matter who is president. Some people, including Dick Cheney and some prominent FFs, endorse the theory of the powerful unitary executive, but others beg to disagree. Hope this isn't too nuanced for you.  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitary_executive_theory

You can say 'black people'. We know what you mean.

Do you just run on like this until you wind down?...

Your faith in capitalism as a universal panacea is akin to a religious belief, and has about as much validity in the real world.

You're not unintelligent, but you're never interested in any viewpoint that isn't  your own, which makes you somewhat tiresome to discuss things with. These endless swivel-eyed rants of yours don't impress me very much, and you're far  too dependent on right-wing cliche for my liking...

You're a pretty smart guy, but your grip on politics and deciphering the political world around you is, um, quite lacking.  It's not unusual for a bright person such as yourself to be completely unaware of their gaping blind spots. 

You're welcome.

Jackstar

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on January 14, 2017, 08:40:47 PM
your grip on politics and deciphering the political world around you is, um, quite lacking

We don't know that. It could be, that his massive intellect is being held in check by royal edict.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: albrecht on January 14, 2017, 08:22:38 PM
For sake of brevity and ease I will just post the wiki pages but their books have a lot to say about the state of affairs and the cause(s) or even the agenda. Of course there are several people who go into this subject.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Bloom
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Thomson_Iserbyt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Taylor_Gatto

Looks like worthwhile reading.  I'm a little backed up on books I've already downloaded from Amazon but haven't gotten to yet but I'll download one of these and give it priority.

... you're never interested in any viewpoint that isn't  your own...

I'm actually quite interested.  It's just that I see little that's very persuasive.

Left wing ''thought'' is mostly about emotionalism, and what sounds good in the moment.

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on January 14, 2017, 08:40:47 PM
You're a pretty smart guy, but your grip on politics and deciphering the political world around you is, um, quite lacking.  It's not unusual for a bright person such as yourself to be completely unaware of their gaping blind spots. 

You're welcome.

You may want to be careful, because he's sensitive when "gaping" is used to describe any part of his anatomy. 

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 14, 2017, 08:40:19 PM
I believe in limited presidential powers and have no use for signing statements or any other unilateral executive actions  no matter who is president. Some people, including Dick Cheney and some prominent FFs, endorse the theory of the powerful unitary executive, but others beg to disagree. Hope this isn't too nuanced for you.  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitary_executive_theory

I won't argue with you on that - my post was only to dispute the reported statistics on deportees, and to point out the contents of EOs are what's important, not the number of them.

albrecht

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on January 14, 2017, 08:46:03 PM

Looks like worthwhile reading.  I'm a little backed up on books I've already downloaded from Amazon but haven't gotten to yet but I'll download one of these and give it priority.
A quick summary of Gatto's ideas here, if short on time skim down to the section of the 6 goals of public education as detailed in Alexander Inglis's 1918 book, "Principles of Secondary Education," in which "one saw this revolution through the eyes of a revolutionary."
http://www.wesjones.com/gatto1.htm
1) The adjustive or adaptive function.
2) The integrating function.
3) The diagnostic and directive function.
4) The differentiating function.
5) The selective function.
6) The propaedeutic function.

Quote from: albrecht on January 14, 2017, 09:19:52 PM

6) The propaedeutic function.

I got my mouth washed out with soap by my mom for saying that when I was eight, and then got smacked upside the head for being a smart aleck when I helpfully opined that according to Reader's Digest, it would pay her to increase her word power.

Kidnostad3

I know where you can get propaedeutics by the gross really cheap.