• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Reading Minds: The CoastGab Book Club

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, October 23, 2008, 12:06:30 AM

albrecht

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on January 04, 2017, 06:55:36 PM
This looks like a good read.  A true story, including espionage, Czech numbers stations, a long-lost "fake" mother.  A movie can't be far behind.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38261956
Kindle only?  >:( That seems like a tale worthy of a real book. Thanks for pointing it out to us. Movie for sure, but, as usual, it will be worse than the book. I could see this being better as a LeCarre'-esque BBC, or some channel, mini-series. Which would allow more details of a complex story rather than crammed into a 2hr movie.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on January 04, 2017, 06:55:36 PM
This looks like a good read.  A true story, including espionage, Czech numbers stations, a long-lost "fake" mother.  A movie can't be far behind.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38261956
It does! Bookmarked for later.

There's been way too much talk lately about books kicking butt, and not enough about books that kick butt, damn it! I've been binging on Christopher Moore for the past four or five months, and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. My only regret is that there are only three left to read. Any more Moore fans here?

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 28, 2017, 01:40:36 AM
There's been way too much talk lately about books kicking butt, and not enough about books that kick butt, damn it!...

Hear Hear! or should it be Read Read! ;)  Alas most books I've encountered recently have been right in that vague middle ground - ok, but not really recommend-worthy.  I'm open to suggestions.   :)

Quote from: zeebo on January 28, 2017, 02:20:16 AM
Hear Hear! or should it be Read Read! ;)  Alas most books I've encountered recently have been right in that vague middle ground - ok, but not really recommend-worthy.  I'm open to suggestions.   :)

Hey, zeebo!

Definitely give Moore a try, and I recommend starting with Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal and then reading them in order from the beginning.

Hope the winter is mild and the Scotch infused acorns are plentiful! Cheers!

RGG

akwilly

I read The Girl on the Train. It was OK but I don't like the flashback crap. The movie was OK not great.

akwilly

Hey Zeebo a really great book is titled Four thousand hooks. It's a true story, kinda a coming of age tale that took place around my neck of the woods. If your not hooked after the first page or 2 I would be surprised.

Ciardelo

Quote from: akwilly on January 28, 2017, 02:39:41 AM
I read The Girl on the Train. It was OK but I don't like the flashback crap. The movie was OK not great.
Trains. I like train movies...I don't think I've read any train books.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 28, 2017, 02:53:44 AM

Murder on the Orient Express...but you already know the ending.  ;)

starrmtn001

You only watch train movies to see the trains go into the tunnels. 

Ciardelo

Quote from: StarrMountain® 2010 on January 28, 2017, 04:33:08 AM
You only watch train movies to see the trains go into the tunnels.
Only as an artistic expression of love my Starr.  ;)

https://youtu.be/igJY6uFZK9M

zeebo

There's always Paul Theroux's travelogue classic The Great Railway Bazaar.  He's a big train enthusiast and has several other such books chronicling train-centered journeys.  Riding the Iron Rooster covers his epic trip to the four corners of China - pretty interesting for anyone interested in the region's geography and history including the lingering remnants of Maoism.

He's actually one of my fave authors, and I'd recommend his fiction as well including an early edgy one called Saint Jack and one of his more visciously, darkly comic ones called Hotel Honolulu, along with any of his short story collections.  He's got a rep for being a bit of a curmudgeon, but I think he just has a kind of wry black humor about the realities he encounters.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 28, 2017, 02:35:41 AM
Hey, zeebo!

Definitely give Moore a try...

They've got a couple of his at the library, Imma check 'em out, thanks. 

Ciardelo

Quote from: zeebo on January 28, 2017, 05:55:06 PM
There's always Paul Theroux's travelogue classic The Great Railway Bazaar.  He's a big train enthusiast and has several other such books chronicling train-centered journeys.  Riding the Iron Rooster covers his epic trip to the four corners of China - pretty interesting for anyone interested in the region's geography and history including the lingering remnants of Maoism.

He's actually one of my fave authors, and I'd recommend his fiction as well including an early edgy one called Saint Jack and one of his more visciously, darkly comic ones called Hotel Honolulu, along with any of his short story collections.  He's got a rep for being a bit of a curmudgeon, but I think he just has a kind of wry black humor about the realities he encounters.

I'll put these on my list then! Riding the Iron Rooster sounds especially interesting. AMZN has used copies starting at 1 cent (plus $3.99 shipping).

Fortunately, we have a very large used book store here too. I think I'll start there.

http://gardnersbooks.com/

Ciardelo

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 28, 2017, 06:18:27 PM
I'll put these on my list then! Riding the Iron Rooster sounds especially interesting. AMZN has used copies starting at 1 cent (plus $3.99 shipping).

Fortunately, we have a very large used book store here too. I think I'll start there.

http://gardnersbooks.com/

Boy am I in luck! Our library system has 32 different titles! But no "Riding the Iron Rooster" hrmm  >:(

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 28, 2017, 06:31:54 PM
Boy am I in luck! Our library system has 32 different titles! But no "Riding the Iron Rooster" hrmm  >:(

Well see if they have The Happy Isles of Oceania: Paddling the Pacific - well worth checking out from the Library if they have it.    Theroux is kind of a dick but it is a very interesting read as he travels around the South Pacific - at least once he leaves Australia.   The section on his visit to Oz is pretty bleak but it picks up afterwards.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on January 28, 2017, 07:25:59 PM
Well see if they have The Happy Isles of Oceania: Paddling the Pacific - well worth checking out from the Library if they have it.    Theroux is kind of a dick but it is a very interesting read as he travels around the South Pacific - at least once he leaves Australia.   The section on his visit to Oz is pretty bleak but it picks up afterwards.

I'm kind of a dick as well, so I think we'll get along OK ;) "Mr. Bones" was available on the shelf right down the street from me so I placed a hold on it. "The Happy Isles of Oceania: Paddling the Pacific" wasn't available, but I see AMZN has hardcovers (probably ex-library) for a penny too!

Finally finished Shark Skin Suite (2015) by Tim Dorsey.  The passive aggressive HarperCollinsPublishers imprint kept hiding from me. 

Next up is Coconut Cowboy (2016) also by Dorsey.

zeebo

Hey Cam, good to see ya.  Speaking of sharks, have you ever read the mind-bending Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall?  Recommended to challenge one's notion of reality, and how it's influenced by language, for better or worse.  You might find it of interest.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 28, 2017, 02:35:41 AM
Definitely give Moore a try...

Thanks for the reco, RGG.  I've been reading Fluke, which is a kick.  He's got a way with analogies, like where he refers to the sound of whales' songs being "like an ambulance driving through pudding".

Quote from: zeebo on February 12, 2017, 12:08:21 AM
Hey Cam, good to see ya.  Speaking of sharks, have you ever read the mind-bending Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall?  Recommended to challenge one's notion of reality, and how it's influenced by language, for better or worse.  You might find it of interest.

The Devil created the written word, God just spoke it. 

Have not read Hall. Thanks for the suggestion.  Sounds like the territories I frequent.

Btw, my library is hemorrhaging.

I need a book clamp, crash cart, and Helvetica IV stat!

Clear!

(Some resuscitated books report Near Digital Experiences or Out of Book Experiences... an astral ebody of text.  However, I think it's simply loss of oxygen to the title page combined with a fear of being recycled.)

Juan

I've been rereading Vonnegut. Player Piano seems particularly prescient.

zeebo

Quote from: Juan on February 12, 2017, 05:43:51 AM
I've been rereading Vonnegut. Player Piano seems particularly prescient.

Awhile back I finally got around to Cat's Cradle, quite enjoyed that.  It also continues to be relevant. 

twiki

i'm re-reading my asimov collection. great reading.

The Pool of Death (1942) by Walter Karig (writing as Keats Patrick)

zeebo

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (2010).  I'm about halfway through it's 1200+ pages.  (Bought trade paperback on Amazon for like 8 bucks so that's like 2/3 cent per page - whadda deal.)

Some good fantasy writing here, with nice world-building and character development.  Not super-complicated with countless protagonists & subplots so its easy to follow - which is nice for a change.  It's the first book in a planned series of 10 books (Take that George R.R. Martin with your wimpy 7-book Song of Ice and Fire!)

3OctaveFart

A classic, amazing book still relevant 40 years later. From a design and utilitarian perspective, the bathroom might be the most misbegotten planning of space in the majority of North American homes. Scholarly, well-aimed and really quite funny.

zeebo

Reality Is Broken:  Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World by Jane McGonigal (2011).  An easy-to-read, interesting, well-researched book on video games and how they relate to the psychology of personal satisfaction as well as the potential progress of society.