• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Rix Gins

Quote from: pyewacket on January 06, 2016, 10:01:21 PM
Thank you for starting this thread Rix- it's like a time capsule. Nice picture- have you seen the movie, The World's Fastest Indian? Sir Anthony Hopkins played Burt Munroe who raced his 1920 Indian Scout bike and set a record despite odds being against him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bu9dGRQvJY

I am so happy that you enjoy the thread, Pye.  Feel free to contribute to it whenever you like.  I just look for stuff on the internet that applies to 1916 and if it's any good I'll put it, as you say, in the BellGab time capsule.  lol  It's extra fun to find things that have happened exactly 100 years ago to the day.  If I (and everyone else,) can keep it going for awhile, I will post items of a more personal nature, such as some great uncles who served in France during WWI.  I haven't seen the movie yet, but awhile back I noticed it was on Netflix.  Looks like they have removed it...but thanks for the referral.  I'll keep a lookout for it.  :)   

I'm enjoying the heck out of this thread, too, Rixster!  History has always been my favorite subject, because I figure it's the only way to understand the present. I can't get enough of it, and definitely would like to see your WWI pics! 

Rix Gins

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 06, 2016, 11:20:01 PM
I'm enjoying the heck out of this thread, too, Rixster!  History has always been my favorite subject, because I figure it's the only way to understand the present. I can't get enough of it, and definitely would like to see your WWI pics!

And I so enjoy the info that you add to the thread, Robert.  Oddly enough, I was kind of a dud when it came to History class.  The one thing I remember the most about it was that Mr. Zottola allowed us to listen to piped in music while we got a jump start on our homework before class ended.  I can still hear the title song to The Good The Bad And The Ugly playing in my mind's ear, while acting like I was doing the homework. lol Thankfully I have since developed a real interest in WWI and all things past.   ;)

Rix Gins

God bless ya Lemmy. RIP.  And thanks for contributing to the BellGab One Hundred Years Ago thread.

https://youtu.be/EqFoqtpUFY8

K_Dubb

Anita King, stunt- and racecar-driver, and the first woman to drive alone across the US (from LA to New York in 1915), traveled to Seattle to open the new Emporium Theatre.

Here she is after a 72-foot fall in her car:

Her cross-country trip was made in a stock KisselKar with Firestone tires.  She was "accompanied only by a rifle and six-shooter."  Still the Wild West hahaha.

I was unable to find the Emporium but Seattle had around 50 theaters so I guess it's not surprising.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 05, 2016, 11:15:42 PM
So, the sound was more important to you than the pride and satisfaction of providing deeper love, nobler life, greater happiness and restful peace to those you love?  I see. I've heard about guys like you.

Hahaha Only too true!  :-\

GravitySucks

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 07, 2016, 01:01:14 AM
And I so enjoy the info that you add to the thread, Robert.  Oddly enough, I was kind of a dud when it came to History class.  The one thing I remember the most about it was that Mr. Zottola allowed us to listen to piped in music while we got a jump start on our homework before class ended.  I can still hear the title song to The Good The Bad And The Ugly playing in my mind's ear, while acting like I was doing the homework. lol Thankfully I have since developed a real interest in WWI and all things past.   ;)

Have you checked out Dan Carlin's podcasts of Hardcore History?  He has a GREAT series about WWI.

http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

Blueprint for Armegeddon.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 07, 2016, 12:55:33 PM

Anita King, stunt- and racecar-driver, and the first woman to drive alone across the US (from LA to New York in 1915), traveled to Seattle to open the new Emporium Theatre.

Her cross-country trip was made in a stock KisselKar with Firestone tires.  She was "accompanied only by a rifle and six-shooter."  Still the Wild West hahaha.

I was unable to find the Emporium but Seattle had around 50 theaters so I guess it's not surprising.
Another women, mostly forgotten until recently, completed a cross country journey a decade earlier was Helga Estby a Norwegian immigrant living near Spokane, Washington. Trying to save the family farm she took up a newspaper offer to be the first woman to walk across the USA. She made it with one of her daughters but didn't get the money (sponsor refused to pay and said she missed deadline,) the family lost the farm, two of the children she left at home had died, and she was shunned in her community (abandoning her husband etc) and she became a suffragist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helga_Estby
http://www.amazon.com/Bold-Spirit-Forgotten-Victorian-America/dp/1400079934/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452194184&sr=8-1&keywords=bold+spirit

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 06, 2016, 03:34:46 PM
HMS King Edward VII was sunk on this day in 1916.  Hit a mine.  All aboard but one were pulled off.

Wow, what a noble-looking ship!  Asymmetrical warfare is also an affront to aesthetics.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on January 07, 2016, 01:18:57 PM
Another women, mostly forgotten until recently, completed a cross country journey a decade earlier was Helga Estby a Norwegian immigrant living near Spokane, Washington. Trying to save the family farm she took up a newspaper offer to be the first woman to walk across the USA. She made it with one of her daughters but didn't get the money (sponsor refused to pay and said she missed deadline,) the family lost the farm, two of the children she left at home had died, and she was shunned in her community (abandoning her husband etc) and she became a suffragist.

Oh the poor lady!  I hope that her later suffragist activity shows she wasn't entirely defeated.

Yeah Norwegians are (or were) great ones for shunning.  Scandal is the main reason my grandparents left.  Unfortunately, Ballard being what it was, they had to endure the company of many people they knew back home.

Jackstar

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 07, 2016, 01:31:44 PM
Yeah Norwegians are (or were) great ones for shunning.

I'm presently being shunned by my Norwegian neighbor. It's brutal. It's like being banned from BellGab except I still get to drive by his house and preen.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Jackstar on January 07, 2016, 01:38:47 PM
I'm presently being shunned by my Norwegian neighbor. It's brutal. It's like being banned from BellGab except I still get to drive by his house and preen.

Hahaha just knock on my door with akvavit and pickled herring and we'll forget all about it.

Jackstar

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 07, 2016, 01:52:46 PM
Hahaha just knock on my door with akvavit and pickled herring and we'll forget all about it.

I just remembered, he's an addict who hates fish. See above, re: "brutal"

Historically, my one-way shunnings are strictly temporary. I hope he reads this someday. Dumbass!

K_Dubb

Quote from: Jackstar on January 07, 2016, 01:57:58 PM
I just remembered, he's an addict who hates fish. See above, re: "brutal"

Historically, my one-way shunnings are strictly temporary. I hope he reads this someday. Dumbass!

Oh.  A Norwegian who hates fish has lost his soul.  I'd shun him for that.

Jackstar

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 07, 2016, 02:03:24 PM
Oh.  A Norwegian who hates fish has lost his soul.  I'd shun him for that.

Eureka!

I'm gonna get a bottle of akvavit and a bottle of pickled herring, then replace the liquor with water and add the liquor to the herring.

Barring civil catastrophe, I'm actually going to do this. It should be great. Anyone got a GoPro I can borrow? Now I gotta learn how to edit video. BRB.

albrecht

Quote from: Jackstar on January 07, 2016, 02:14:25 PM
Eureka!

I'm gonna get a bottle of akvavit and a bottle of pickled herring, then replace the liquor with water and add the liquor to the herring.

Barring civil catastrophe, I'm actually going to do this. It should be great. Anyone got a GoPro I can borrow? Now I gotta learn how to edit video. BRB.
I think you should put the herring brine in the akavit bottle and vice-versa. Definitely film it. Even on your smartphone. Alas, I do not have a GoPro. This should resolve the shunning! Or at least make some good youtube vids.

Jackstar

Quote from: albrecht on January 07, 2016, 02:16:47 PM
I think you should put the herring brine in the akavit bottle and vice-versa. Definitely film it. Even on your smartphone.

"Hello, Neighbor-Who-Feuds! I know you haven't seen me in weeks, but now I'm walking towards you carrying two suspicious bottles and a video camera in my three hands! Act natural!"

What could go wrong? For my next trick, I will use this exact maneuver to resolve the Sunni-Shia conflict.

(To be clear, I actually like my neighbor. I didn't know about the Norway Shunning before, thx all)

K_Dubb

Quote from: Jackstar on January 07, 2016, 02:14:25 PM
Eureka!

That, sir, is a sin against fish (venial) and a sin against liquor (mortal).  Should be fun!

Will you stuff it with a flaming rag?  A Jacobsen cocktail?

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on January 07, 2016, 12:55:33 PM

Second photo down is a dead ringer for Trixie Anderson, I'm a thinkin'.

Jackstar

I actually like herring, so I was gonna cheerfully consume some as part of the gag if I can work it that far. Worth it.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 07, 2016, 02:24:57 PM
Second photo down is a dead ringer for Trixie Anderson, I'm a thinkin'.

You got it!  She was a cutie.

Rix Gins

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 07, 2016, 01:04:43 PM
Have you checked out Dan Carlin's podcasts of Hardcore History?  He has a GREAT series about WWI.

http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

Blueprint for Armegeddon.

No, but it sounds great and I will certainly try to listen to the guy.  I like his voice and that's a big positive right there.  Thanks, Grav.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 07, 2016, 03:07:36 PM
Recorded 100 years ago, today.

Cool!  That has an 1890s sound to it.  I can see them brandishing their boaters.

stenjay

https://youtu.be/XnRFJyQFZkQ

That sounds like the bumper music that Noory plays on occasion that grinds the momentum of the show to a halt.  Other than that, good find.  I'll try to find something to contribute.

stenjay

https://youtu.be/XnRFJyQFZkQ

Wait a sec.  That's 1906, not 1916!  Here, I arranged a quick and dirty cover-up for you:

GravitySucks

Quote from: Rix Gins on January 07, 2016, 02:42:25 PM
No, but it sounds great and I will certainly try to listen to the guy.  I like his voice and that's a big positive right there.  Thanks, Grav.

His shows stay out there for free for some period of time, and then they get stuck behind a pay wall, so if you want to listen to them in the future, I recommend downloading them.

Rix Gins

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 07, 2016, 03:28:45 PM
His shows stay out there for free for some period of time, and then they get stuck behind a pay wall, so if you want to listen to them in the future, I recommend downloading them.
Got it, thx.

Rix Gins

Quote from: stenjay on January 07, 2016, 03:27:47 PM
Wait a sec.  That's 1906, not 1916!  Here, I arranged a quick and dirty cover-up for you:

LOL  Happy to have you as a contributor.