• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Lisa Garr

Started by yumyumtree, May 10, 2014, 06:56:33 PM

zeebo

Quote from: pyewacket on June 22, 2014, 10:53:47 AM
I tried listening and barely made it through the first hour. She was complimenting George so much! Is that a condition for her to host the weekend show? ...

Really?  I must have filtered that out unconsciously, like most Noory-related content.

Quote from: pyewacket on June 22, 2014, 10:53:47 AM
...The guest was not my cup of tea, so I won't hold that against her.

He was spouting a mish mash of new age fairy dust that I've heard for the last 20+ years. ...

My usual kneejerk reaction to these types is to roll my eyes as well, however for a change I kinda liked the guy, and let myself drift off into his interesting if questionable depictions of other realms.  Maybe sometimes even a cynic like me just has to give such esoteric ideas a whirl.

pyewacket

Quote from: zeebo on June 22, 2014, 02:40:45 PM
Really?  I must have filtered that out unconsciously, like most Noory-related content.

My usual kneejerk reaction to these types is to roll my eyes as well, however for a change I kinda liked the guy, and let myself drift off into his interesting if questionable depictions of other realms.  Maybe sometimes even a cynic like me just has to give such esoteric ideas a whirl.

I enjoy theories about the afterlife and other dimensions- I hope there is more to come and a chance to move into higher states of consciousness.  The new age, white lighter crowd has pretty much drowned out the more scholarly voices. I knew people who did readings, aura photography, reiki masters, and all sorts of other practices. Some were good- the book seller would give interesting talks on UFOs. It got progressively worse over the years. It's a competition for the money. Some would pick up a book on some practice and then offer classes as if they were experts. It's not much fun once you get to peek behind the curtain.   

I tune in hoping for a good show and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised. Not so much this time, it was material I'd heard a long time ago. Overall, not a bad show for making people think about life after death beyond the traditional religious teachings.   

Get me! I'm givin' out wings!

[attachimg=1]

Just don't get me started on angels.

pyewacket

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on June 22, 2014, 04:12:28 PM
Get me! I'm givin' out wings!

[attachimg=1]

Just don't get me started on angels.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Scully

Ms Garr's opening remarks and break announcements sounded to me like a 900-number come-on. She sounded professional when she got into the actual interviewing. I haven't noticed her taking that approach until last night. Sounded like she was trying out her options.

IIRC, she's a GAII person, so her big interest is the New Age approach.  Like some of you have posted, I've been there, done that. I quickly lost interest in the show, and listened to a SIT instead.  :(

Scully

Sorry, that's GAIAM, not GAII.

GAIAM-TV, btw, is the one that also features Beyond Belief, starring our boy, Jorch.  Coincidence, ya think?

Morgus

Quote from: Scully on June 22, 2014, 07:42:54 PM
GAIAM-TV, btw, is the one that also features Beyond Belief, starring our boy, Jorch.  Coincidence, ya think?
yep, and Lisa promoted GAIAM last night on the air too, mentioning she has been on there even longer than Noory...

ItsOver

Thankfully, we still have Knapp.  Since Knapp doesn't appear to be interested in doing more than several shows a month, even doofus Jorch seems to leave him alone, rather than trying to force him out in favor of some non-threatening stooch of The Nooron.

Nebraska888

Quote from: ItsOver on June 22, 2014, 09:18:44 PM
Thankfully, we still have Knapp.  Since Knapp doesn't appear to be interested in doing more than several shows a month, even doofus Jorch seems to leave him alone, rather than trying to force him out in favor of some non-threatening stooch of The Nooron.

Amen!   8)

albrecht

Quote from: Scully on June 22, 2014, 06:10:39 PM
Ms Garr's opening remarks and break announcements sounded to me like a 900-number come-on.
Yeah her voice is very very 900 number-esque. Not that I ever called one. Makes one wonder, with that voice, if she looks nothing like Teri Garr! vavavoom in hotness! Mein Gott! Her in Young Frankenstien!
'young frankenstein' what knockers!

Morgus

Quote from: albrecht on June 22, 2014, 10:31:50 PMMakes one wonder, with that voice, if she looks nothing like Teri Garr!

Photos of Lisa Garr are viewable at her websites.

Here is a link to her GAIAM-TV show page:
http://www.gaiamtv.com/show/inspirations

paladin1991

Quote from: albrecht on June 22, 2014, 10:31:50 PM
Yeah her voice is very very 900 number-esque. Not that I ever called one. Makes one wonder, with that voice, if she looks nothing like Teri Garr! vavavoom in hotness! Mein Gott! Her in Young Frankenstien!
'young frankenstein' what knockers!
WhoaBaby!  I think I still have this incredible thing for Terri.

Jackstar

Quote from: paladin1991 on June 22, 2014, 11:40:48 PM
WhoaBaby!  I think I still have this incredible thing for Terri.

If you did, wouldn't you spell her name right?

paladin1991

Quote from: Jackstar on June 25, 2014, 06:19:26 AM
Compensating for the years.  Or fatigued fingers. 

albrecht

Quote from: Jackstar on June 25, 2014, 06:19:26 AM
I don't think any of us were looking at the credits or the spelling of her name....there were a couple of distractions in the way.

Jackstar

Stop me if you have heard this one before, but some of us have this really amazing thing for people with double-four-letter-names.

Don't even get me started on the fives, Adolf.

albrecht

Quote from: Jackstar on June 25, 2014, 09:24:35 PM
Stop me if you have heard this one before, but some of us have this really amazing thing for people with double-four-letter-names.

Don't even get me started on the fives, Adolf.
not on the same subject but since you mention him, I recently heard a theory that Adolph's main problem was that he was raised in a broken home in a very multicultural society (Austrian-Hungarian Empire at birth and then in Austria during his young life. Which was very ethnically mixed and diverse country, with all kinds of immigrants and such in addition to the normal diverse nature of the post-Hapsburg HRE.)  And so his resentments grew from there and he saw Germany as some kind of ideal, being homogenous, and brought his pathology there. It is easier to blame "others" for your problems and incompetence when they are in your midst. You tend not to "hate" those with whom you don't have real contact (although, arguable, the modern media might have eliminated that concept.) Just a thought, not saying its true.
-GNS

Quote from: albrecht on June 25, 2014, 09:39:43 PM
I recently heard a theory that Adolph's main problem was that he was raised in a broken home in a very multicultural society

It's a darn good thing that almost never happens, then.  Just imagine if there were millions of people like that.  Why, the world would be overrun by Adolfs.

paladin1991

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on June 25, 2014, 09:57:07 PM
It's a darn good thing that almost never happens, then.  Just imagine if there were millions of people like that.  Why, the world would be overrun by Adolfs.
*looks thoughtfully towards the Open Southern Border*

zeebo

Quote from: pyewacket on June 22, 2014, 04:02:48 PM
... The new age, white lighter crowd has pretty much drowned out the more scholarly voices. I knew people who did readings, aura photography, reiki masters, and all sorts of other practices. Some were good- the book seller would give interesting talks on UFOs. It got progressively worse over the years.  ....

Fair point pyewacket! ... and even if it weren't, I'd give you the benefit of the doubt since you know some funny jokes.   :D

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on June 22, 2014, 10:31:50 PM
Yeah her voice is very very 900 number-esque. ....

You say that like it's a bad thing.   :)

pyewacket

Quote from: zeebo on June 27, 2014, 11:29:23 PM
Fair point pyewacket! ... and even if it weren't, I'd give you the benefit of the doubt since you know some funny jokes.   :D

Thanks, zeebo  ;D

I was acquainted with an "intuitive" years back and signed up for her classes. I learned to read an odd deck of cards called the Tulia. She also taught reiki and guided meditation among other techniques. I liked the group of people and she asked me if I'd like to help her at several psychic fairs and I did because I was curious. I helped her with her aura photography- it was a pretty neat camera. This was an old style camera that produced polaroid pictures and a computer printout based on the colors that appeared. In addition, she would give the people a reading about the orbs of colors. She also read cards- the Tulia and had a shop of pendulums, tarot decks, new agey trinkets, books, tapes, etc. Just what you'd expect.

The thing is, when you get a closer look and see how it's done - you realize how much of it is phony. The readings are like the cold readings done in an audience- I attended one of those, too. Yeah- real Kreskin stuff there. All the interpretations were like reading a horoscope in the newspaper. No offence directed towards people who believe or are very skilled at divination.
I saw people who were devastated about some aspect of their lives plunking down considerable sums of money (especially for those out of work) for these services and that put me off.

After that, I became a skeptic. I'm not saying that there are no gifted individuals, just that I don't think they would use their gift in this way. Some of the vendors offered unique things like salt lamps, jewlery, and other hand made goods. There often were reiki, chiropractors, masseuses, and some "doctor" who had people hold onto 2 sensors and he "diagnosed" their imbalances that could be cured with the tinctures and pills he sold. They were not cheap! My friend would spend quite a bit, herself, at these fairs. That was enough for me- I stopped helping out.

There's nothing wrong with meditation, healthy eating, some out there beliefs, but it is big business. Caveat Emptor!     

Nebraska888

UGH.......I can't stand these health programs on Coast.  What the hell?  Coast to Coast is NOT Dr. Oz!

Hypothyroidism?????  Whatever.   ::)

Another Saturday night ruined (ala' John B. Wells).......

Scully

Four solid hours of hypothyroidism on a Saturday night.

The size of Ms. Garr's boobs has absolutely no redeeming quality for me at all. I venture to say that will be true for at least 50% of Coast's audience.  ::)

zeebo

Quote from: Scully on July 12, 2014, 12:22:38 AM
The size of Ms. Garr's boobs has absolutely no redeeming quality for me at all. I venture to say that will be true for at least 50% of Coast's audience.  ::)

Unfortunately it's probably true for most, as their impressiveness does not translate well to radio.   ;)

b_dubb

Quote from: Scully on July 12, 2014, 12:22:38 AM
Four solid hours of hypothyroidism on a Saturday night.

Pictures or they don't exist

Oh they exist all right

yumyumtree

Well, do you think that tonight's hour with Karen Kain will turn into an anti-vax show or will they really talk about her daughter?

yumyumtree

I am having some problems with this guest, Karen Kain.

nextgen.fm

Quote from: yumyumtree on July 12, 2014, 11:51:55 PM
I am having some problems with this guest, Karen Kain.

I just can't even bring myself to tune in.

The show looks like a real turd tonightr.

yumyumtree

OK, I'm going to say some things here that may get me blasted, but I'd rather talk about these things than Lisa Garr's tits, and I think these things need to be said.

I will leave aside Ms. Kains ideas on vaccinations, though I concur that 49 by age 5 seems like a lot. I thought it was interesting that she said that they inspected Lorrin for signs of neglect on one doctor visit. They were probably just being jerks, but I wasn't there. There are a few things about Ms. Kain that makes me think she might not be too tightly wrapped. It would be interesting to get Mr. Kain's perspective, but of course they split up.

I don't believe that kids like Lorrin should be locked away in instututions(like my mother believed) or shut away in the attic. But I also believe in living in reality. I think that Karen Kain may never really have accepted what happened to Karen, so decided to pretend she was the daughter that she wanted and expected to have, even if it meant projecting things onto Lorrin. I never met Lorrin--maybe her mother did teach her to communicate with eye blinks. But when I look at the pictures on the Internet and the stuff Karen Kain posted on YouTube, I wonder how much Lorrin really wanted these things. She was paralyzed and couldn't talk or eat normally. Her mother says "I know she was in there." I wasn't there. Maybe she was. But did she really want to be dressed up in tiaras and make-up and formal gowns for parties, or was it really her mother who wanted. She has Lorrin as a co-author of her book. Sorry, Lorrin was the reason for the book, but could not have co-authored it, that's her mothers fantasy. Her mother clearly believes in a lot of new age woo, so this too gets projected onto Lorrin. So Lorrin goes traipsing through peoples' dreams, saying things that she would say in waking life if she could talk( and were not mentally disabled), really the things her mother wants her to say.
I have never had a disabled child, or any child, for that matter. Maybe I'm all wet. The 13 amazon reviews for Karen Kains book are all 3-5 stars. Maybe I have no business making pronouncements on how to raise a seriously disabled child like Lorrin. But I found some of the stuff I saw, mostly posted by Karen Kain, almost disturbing.

BTW, to this second guest--I would not give a plug nickel for Pres. Kennedys doctor. If its the one I'm thinking if, he was along the lines of Elvis and Michael Jackson's doctors. I believe both him and Jackie were getting injected with a cocktail of speed, vitamins and Goodness-knows-what.