• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard C. Hoagland

Started by Richard C. Hoagland, July 20, 2008, 07:01:42 PM

HAL 9000

Here is an interview by Art Bell of "Tricky Dick" Hoaxland, showing he is 1% delusional, and 99% huckster. Listen by downloading the attached mp3.

[attachment deleted by admin]

onan

Years ago I was asked to review a book by Hoagland. It may have been his first I dunno. I can tell you it was tripe on so many levels. I do not remember Hoagland's credentials. I do remember he was mastering the art of illogic (my word... I made it up) and hyperbole (yes I know I use that word way too often). Originally I think he had an idea that was worth discussion or at least invigorating the imagination, but his spark fizzled a long time ago. Now his ideas are pandering instead of inspiring.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: onan on December 14, 2010, 09:39:37 AM
Years ago I was asked to review a book by Hoagland. It may have been his first I dunno. I can tell you it was tripe on so many levels. I do not remember Hoagland's credentials. I do remember he was mastering the art of illogic (my word... I made it up) and hyperbole (yes I know I use that word way too often). Originally I think he had an idea that was worth discussion or at least invigorating the imagination, but his spark fizzled a long time ago. Now his ideas are pandering instead of inspiring.

He tries very hard to blur the line between science fiction and reality.  It's a theme throughout his "work".  Check out the little Starship Enterprise on the upper right-hand side of his website - it shares an orbit with a representation of a "real" shuttle, symbolizing his fiction-reality quest.  http://www.enterprisemission.com/

Renaldo

Quote from: Marc Knight on December 14, 2010, 10:42:56 AM

He tries very hard to blur the line between science fiction and reality.   

Most Coast guests do.

You can all say what you want about Hoagland, and give him all the nicknames you want.  I think he's fantastic, one of the best guests out there.  By no means do I think he's right about anything, and by no means do I believe a word he says, but I think he's highly entertaining for all the right and wrong reasons. 

Do I buy that it's C3P0's head out there?  No, of course not.  It's obviously Chewbacca's.

haloedorchid

Quote from: onan on December 14, 2010, 09:39:37 AMI do not remember Hoagland's credentials.

I decided to look this up, because I remember a couple years ago I looked into this myself and came up with virtually nothing. This website http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/hoagland/credentials.html sums up his credentials with this:

Hoagland claims he was the first to think of the idea that there might be an ocean under Europa's surface, and that life might exist in that ocean. This claim is demonstrably false.
    Hoagland claims he came up with the idea of the Pioneer plaque, he presented it to Sagan (along with Eric Burgess), and that without him it would never have happened. These claims are hearsay, as he has no evidence of it, just his word. But there is the word of at least three other people (Sagan, Drake, and Burgess himself) who say Hoagland's input on this was minimal at best.
    Hoagland claims to have won the "prestigious" Angstrom medal. It is not clear that the people who gave it to him had the right to do so, and even if they did, they have later said that doing so was a mistake.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Marc Knight on December 14, 2010, 10:42:56 AM
He tries very hard to blur the line between science fiction and reality.  It's a theme throughout his "work".  Check out the little Starship Enterprise on the upper right-hand side of his website - it shares an orbit with a representation of a "real" shuttle, symbolizing his fiction-reality quest.  http://www.enterprisemission.com/
what an AWFUL website.

Renaldo

Quote from: haloedorchid on December 14, 2010, 10:41:53 PM
   Hoagland claims to have won the "prestigious" Angstrom medal. It is not clear that the people who gave it to him had the right to do so, and even if they did, they have later said that doing so was a mistake.

What the heck even is the Prestigious Angstrom Medal?  When I google it, the first page is all about Hoagland! lol

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Renaldo on December 15, 2010, 09:27:09 PM

What the heck even is the Prestigious Angstrom Medal?  When I google it, the first page is all about Hoagland! lol
furthermore, when i type "angstrom award" into google, it doesn't autocomplete that term for me until i get to the letter w.  wtf.  i think you're right on in asking wtf this "prestigious" medal is.

haloedorchid

Quote from: Renaldo on December 15, 2010, 09:27:09 PM

The above-referenced website went into more detail about this Angstrom Medal:

The Angstrom Medal 
When Hoagland is introduced on "Coast to Coast AM", he is frequently said to have received the Angstrom Medal, referred to as a scientific medal. This is technically true, but the people who gave it to him, as it turns out, didn't have the authority to give it out. Also, they gave it to him for an idea of his which is easy to show to be meaningless.
Anders-Jonas Angstrom was an 18th century Swedish scientist who was one of the first to use spectroscopy in astronomy. He discovered the presence of hydrogen in the Sun, for example. He was so important to the field that his name is used by optical astronomers as a unit of length (1 Angstrom = 1 x 10-10 meters). Some years after his death, friends and family of Angstrom donated money to Uppsala University in Sweden to establish a prize in his honor (this is a fairly common practice in science). The prize, given to young physicists at Uppsala University, consists of a small amount of money and a medal that is provided with permission from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. The award committee is composed of scientists at Uppsala University.   So far, so good. However, there is another organization, called The Angstrom Foundation Aktiebolag (AFAB). This is a privately-owned foundation dedicated to preserving Angstrom's property and to use it to hold conferences and the like. This is a separate entity from Uppsala University. Remember, the University is the only place officially allowed to award the Angstrom Prize. So guess who gave Hoagland the medal? Not Uppsala University, but the AFAB. According to amateur historian Alan Archer, who has done a bit of research on this issue, Hoagland's receipt of this medal was not official. In fact, the AFAB didn't even have permission from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences to give it out! Archer spells it out quite clearly: "The Angstrom Foundation AB's use of the Angstrom memorial medal of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences as a component of the 1993 Angstrom Medal award to Richard C. Hoagland was an unauthorized use of the academy's medal."   Anders Marelius, head of the department of physics at Uppsala University, had this to say, as quoted by Peter Linde: "The Angstrom foundation is a private foundation without connections to Uppsala or any other university. The department of Physics in Uppsala, where two professors Angstrom have been active, has no links with the activities of Richard Hoagland. The department considers the Hoagland project as speculative and unscientific and rejects it entirely." So it would seem that Hoagland has stretched the truth once again.   To be fair, there is some confusion over this. According to a press kit released by Hoagland,

In other words, it's complete bullshit and an attempt of deception by using a valid award's name by proxy.

HAL 9000

Quote from: haloedorchid on December 16, 2010, 12:28:04 AMIn other words, it's complete bullshit and an attempt of deception by using a valid award's name by proxy.

I think I'm in love... a smart, thinking woman who also does research before posting.

Unless, of course, you lied in your profile, which now makes me gay - how will my parents take it?  

haloedorchid

Quote from: HAL 9000 on December 16, 2010, 01:21:02 AM
Quote from: haloedorchid on December 16, 2010, 12:28:04 AMIn other words, it's complete bullshit and an attempt of deception by using a valid award's name by proxy.

I think I'm in love... a smart, thinking woman who also does research before posting.

Unless, of course, you lied in your profile, which now makes me gay - how will my parents take it?

Lol. Just keeping up with the majority of posters here. The bar is set pretty high!

HAL 9000

Quote from: haloedorchid on December 16, 2010, 02:29:27 AM
Lol. Just keeping up with the majority of posters here. The bar is set pretty high!

Well, thank God - at least I can now tell my parents at Christmas I'm not gay.

I think.   

Renaldo

Apparently the Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle (LADCC) also give an Angstrom Award for "career achievement in lighting design".  It comes with $1000 from Angstrom Lighting. 

http://www.ladramacriticscircle.com/awards.htm

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: HAL 9000 on December 16, 2010, 01:21:02 AM
just tell them it's the new millennium.

haloedorchid

Quote from: HAL 9000 on December 16, 2010, 03:59:21 AM
Quote from: haloedorchid on December 16, 2010, 02:29:27 AM

Well, thank God - at least I can now tell my parents at Christmas I'm not gay.

I think.   

No, I am not lying in my profile. That's more of the Craigslist Adult Section speed. So watch your back if you're ever around those parts! Merry Christmas!

HAL 9000

Quote from: haloedorchid on December 17, 2010, 10:16:00 PM No, I am not lying in my profile. That's more of the Craigslist Adult Section speed. So watch your back if you're ever around those parts! Merry Christmas!

Never go there, that's for sure. Well, now I know I'm not gay. Just like Tom Cruise is not gay. Or Oprah. It will be a Merry Christmas after all George Bailey.  It's a Wonderful Life!

Renaldo

Did anyone watch his $39.95 Internet 'teleconference' called  Project Camelot today?  Apparently he's disclosing that he believes aliens are real. 

http://projectcamelotproductions.com/events.html

Renaldo

HAL 9000

Quote from: Renaldo on December 20, 2010, 09:47:38 PMNope, he's sick and won't be on tonight.   :(

And yet, he is currently online via his private Instant Messenger account (AIM). He activated is approximated 1/2 hour before the show started. (yes , I have his account, and have 100% verified as being authentic)

However, if you just can't get enough Hoaxland, you can listen to this 55 minute gripping interview (see attached file) done by Steven M. Greer - you know him - he goes by "Doctor" because he used to be an ER physician, but has not been a practicing physician in many, many years. All it takes is $20/year to maintain your license (I can provide a copy of his license for those interested).

Oh - and Steven M. Greer, of the "Disclosure Project" and other organizations - please note that he has set this up as a tax-exempt foundation. This way, if you are stupid enough to contribute to his organization, YOU can get a tax deduction, and his "foundation" can continue its "research." These 501 [c](3) organizations can pay the the expenses and salaries of its officers. Imagine that! I've attached his original tax-exempt letter from the Treasury Department back from 1995. However, it seems like maybe it's time someone inquired deeper as to whether his organization is legitimate and needs further investigation. Maybe I'll write a letter just to make sure.

Also find Hoaxland's POS book Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA as a PDF - i.e. is you want to wade through 581 pages of BS (I did not).

Dark Mission link: http://www.mediafire.com/?49w61l4mdr92c66
Greer's tax-exempt letter: http://www.mediafire.com/?b2rr2a13me231e4

[attachment deleted by admin]

HAL 9000

I noticed Hoaxland logged onto his AIM account at exactly midnight EST tonight - missed the first few minutes of tonight's show - wondering if Hoaxland came on for a few minutes about some mysterious lunar eclipse/NASA conspiracy ;)

He's still logged in as of 0124 EST

b_dubb

I'd love to hear the stories Hoagland tries to pitch C2C and gets turned down for

b_dubb

someone should call in and confront Hoaxland about his medal.  where he got it?  and why?  if at all ...

HAL 9000

Quote from: b_dubb on January 03, 2011, 12:27:17 AMsomeone should call in and confront Hoaxland about his medal.  where he got it?  and why?  if at all ...

I plan on doing this with a few of their hosts. I already done the irrefutable research, but it needs to be collated, and then carefully planned so that my few minutes on-air are not wasted, and don't get cut-off either. I have a few peeps in my sights  :)

b_dubb

i am pretty sure that hoagland just said that Star Wars ... IS REAL!  HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! !what a loon!~

EDIT: Julian Assange threatened to leak info about a war between the US and UFO's at one of the poles in the upper atmosphere [ HA HA HA ]

SnapT

I love how Hoagland is constantly making Noory fill-in-the-blanks to see if he's paying attention.  Noory is clearly very annoyed that he has to think outside of his canned questions!

ringthane

Quote from: SnapT on January 03, 2011, 03:19:20 AM
I love how Hoagland is constantly making Noory fill-in-the-blanks to see if he's paying attention.  Noory is clearly very annoyed that he has to think outside of his canned questions!

I love when Hoagland does this. And George will always respond 'yes', 'of course' or 'absolutely' when Noory has no practical/plausible way of knowing what is being referred to. I'd have a lot more respect for Noory if he would simply say I'm not familiar with <fill in the blank>, tell us a little bit about that.

But Noory won't do that. He's busy with his coloring book and sippy cup.

coastfan

99.9%, I reckon. Or is he not delusional, but knowingly full of it? Either way, I can't really listen to him. I'd rather hear Dames any day over Hoagland. Or, I would have, with Art. Noory has no rapport with Dames like Art did. Art seemed to be "in" on the hoax with Dames, or maybe just in on the shared perception with the audience. Dames was the joke, Art and the audience were the inside jokers.