• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Hells Mole

Quote from: Chad Jacobs on May 20, 2018, 02:06:49 AM
This article makes Art look pretty good. It simply describes Art's business as a "video dating service" nothing about swingers or anything perverse. Also, does anyone know what the genesis of the beef between Oates and Bell was? Why would guests on his program get sufficiently angry to devote such a great amount of time and resources to attacking Art?

That jibes with what Marsha said about specifically the video dating business.

PaulK

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 20, 2018, 11:11:36 AM
He didn't like the direction George and his producers took the show.  I remember him coming on Bellgab and calling George, Dave, like many other members who have contempt for Noory. He also left a cryptic message about "the wind blowing" something or other. It had something to do with Coast but I can't remember the exact quote now.

Not really.
Art Bell was bitter because C2C didn't fork out money didn't back him up in his lawsuit against Ted Gunderson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=R2ome9SUTto

El Chorro

Quote from: Freyja on May 20, 2018, 06:51:09 AM
^This OR maybe there was some big $$ and influence to make it all go away.

Remember Marsha said there were some pretty powerful, well known people that signed up for this "service". There were videos...do we really know what these videos were? Don't think we can assume they were just videos of people just dressed up nice and talking to score/entice a hook up. Maybe these videos were actual footage of what they were in to sexually from other encounters.

God I remember those things. You'd go in and film an intro and watch other people's that they'd recommend. I didn't know it was any more than just that.

69CheckMate

Quote from: FlarpsWife on May 20, 2018, 10:27:47 AM
No one is currently doing MITD on Sunday's right? If Keef doesn't ask Vincent to do it, he's missing a huge opportunity. Vincent could get his feet wet in podcasting and he'd be a HUGE draw as Art's son. Plus he has a great voice and he sounds like a grounded, smart, person. He'd also be a huge selling point to C Crane and all of Art's buddies who advertised with his show. Do it Keef. Free $$$ Vincent IS the legacy.

🎶 Starry Starry Night...

K_Dubb

Quote from: ItsOver on May 20, 2018, 11:11:36 AM
Yes, that's how I remember it.  Art seemed to be running Heater up the flagpole to see if anyone would salute, other than himself.  Looking back at the supposed problems Art was having with kicking-off MITD (music licensing, Queef, etc.), I think he was looking for an out to can any comeback and then decided to go with the plan of eventually setting up Heater with the show, while she whiled away the time in the cuckshed as his "producer."  It's interesting that the stalker firecrackers showed up just when MITD was really taking off and the opportunity to go with national syndication developed.  Art no doubt thought he'd done all he could do to set-up Heater but knew she wasn't going to be good enough to seal a deal with Cumulus.  Time to hit the eject button and hand-over the controls to Heater.

If it was the plan all along, he would have worked her in gradually even after the reaction to the test show.  I think Art was more of a hustler than a businessman -- try a bunch of things, pour all your energy into the ones that work and cut all ties to the ones that don't.  It's the pattern that emerges from his book and parallels his relationships, too.

This has probably already been posted but it is a link to a PDF of the newspaper story about Art's arrest in 1979:

http://archive.newportbeachlibrary.org/NBPL/0/edoc/1235566/1979-04-19%20-%20Orange%20Coast%20Pilot.pdf

K_Dubb

Quote from: SomeVelvetMorning on May 20, 2018, 11:29:29 AM
This has probably already been posted but it is a link to a PDF of the newspaper story about Art's arrest in 1979:

http://archive.newportbeachlibrary.org/NBPL/0/edoc/1235566/1979-04-19%20-%20Orange%20Coast%20Pilot.pdf

If it has I haven't seen it; thank you!

Quote from: PaulK on May 20, 2018, 11:23:09 AM
Not really.
Art Bell was bitter because C2C did fork out money didn't back him up in his lawsuit against Ted Gunderson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=R2ome9SUTto

That may have had something to do with it but why should Coast pay Art's legal fees?  They are under no obligation to do so. Gunderson made a lot of controversial claims over his career.  Now that may have been a reason Art retired a couple times earlier on but not his final decision to leave Coast and start a rival show.  There were a whole stable of reasons why Art had a grudge against Premiere.  I can't remember them all though.

Metron2267

Quote from: PaulK on May 20, 2018, 11:15:34 AM
Nope.

Neither he nor Hoaxie had the stamina for 5 nights a week of late night talk.

Check the periscope video of Art and his heating pad.

Old man, sore back, etc.

You can cheat almost anything in this life, but not old age.

Tricky-D

Quote from: AstroBuzz on May 20, 2018, 10:55:09 AM
Just throwing this out there...

I remember back in the 90's at the end of Art's show he would mention something about a Philipina Hoax and he had a link on his website that he would direct listeners to that explained the situation.

Wasn't it a rumor/hoax that Art was running a Philippina prostitution business...?

After the latest AB revelations, it kind of makes ya wonder.

What Art was referring to was a chain email that was circulated starting in 1998 of a racist hate letter that clamied Art had writen about his hate for Filipinos. It went around the net for years, Art always denied he wrote it, filed lawsuits over it. In 2009 it surfaced again because a newspaper in the Philippines discovered it and then published it. Art, Airyn and Asia were in Pahrump at the time but I don’t think they ever went back to Manila after that.

The newspaper apologized but also published Art’s email to them threatening to sue. It’s another Art gem.
I am going to sue you. You have made a huge mistake. I will look for a front page retraction or you will be in court.

What is the matter with you people? This is a decade old hoax. I am married to a Filipina. My daughter is half Filipina. I own a condo in Manila and will soon be back to hire a lawyer unless I see a full retraction and apology. What you have done could have been avoided by simply putting my name in Google and the word Philippines. You did not do your homework as a member of the press and it is going to cost your newspaper a lot of money.

WOTR

Quote from: Freyja on May 20, 2018, 05:54:54 AM
Morning Belles, PBS....great call on the gabcast last night PBS!!

Yeah, Art seems to have been a serial sexual predator with the same MO most of his life if we put all the pieces together.

?...are the Gabcast chat transcripts archived anywhere on the UFOship? It was going so fast last night I had a difficult time following all the input.
Good Morning Freyja.  The sun is shining, the temperature is up, and if feels like spring. ;) 

That confirms what Marsha said.  Thanks for posting the link.

El Chorro

Somewhere along the line Art went from being a playa to cavorting in the international-online-dating scene. It may have been that his looks caught up with him, or he enjoyed the new technology, but I wonder how many of his ham-radio chums who were also into foreign brides were also swingers back in the day. The two pathologies don't seem to fit...instant vs. delayed gratification. Maybe the urge to dominate is common in them.

I do wonder if Art IV will ever tell his story about the whole sexual molestation business.

timebandit

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 20, 2018, 10:48:07 AM
Who knows how many girls he inseminated at those swingers parties?
maybe Vincent isn't Art's kid.. the mom might have been a playa too

El Chorro

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 20, 2018, 11:43:41 AM
That confirms what Marsha said.  Thanks for posting the link.

Haha. Seems like Art was up to no good. But he did get a settlement from the police, apparently. Must have stayed just one step ahead of the legal limits.

I believe for the clients to have discussed sexual proclivities makes the service more than just a 70s video-dating company.

Quote from: timebandit on May 20, 2018, 11:48:57 AM
maybe Vincent isn't Art's kid.. the mom might have been a playa too

Vincent was born in '65.  I don't think the swinging scene had caught on yet.

PaulK

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 20, 2018, 11:46:43 AM
I do wonder if Art IV will ever tell his story about the whole sexual molestation business.

Why would you like to hear about it.

Metron2267

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 20, 2018, 11:51:18 AM
Vincent was born in '65.  I don't think the swinging scene had caught on yet.

It was starting too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ichQA3VCOgU

Quote from: PaulK on May 20, 2018, 11:54:30 AM

Because I would like to hear his side of the story.  Maybe to clear Art of unfounded allegations that have been made against him?  A lot of people made allegations that Art molested Art IV.

I don't get a thrill out of it, dude.  :-\

munbeam666

Quote from: chefist on May 20, 2018, 10:57:55 AM
I think they may have been at least one he didn't marry...but like others have said, how could you know how many kids may be out there given the history of behavior.
Heather may be one of them
Based on her photo, if real, she looks a lot like him

69CheckMate

Quote from: PaulK on May 20, 2018, 11:54:30 AM

morbid avid curiosity.

Quote from: chefist on May 20, 2018, 11:40:23 AM

Woah. I need to finally get to the Boyd interview later today.

Great find, thanks.

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 20, 2018, 11:54:36 AM
It was starting too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ichQA3VCOgU

A lot of things changed between '65 and '70 when that movie was released.

WOTR

Quote from: whoozit on May 20, 2018, 09:11:24 AM
As The One used to say; Art was the larger animal.
;D
Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 20, 2018, 11:11:36 AM
He also left a cryptic message about "the wind blowing" something or other. It had something to do with Coast but I can't remember the exact quote now.

If I'm not mistaken, it said "the wind no longer blows.  In the end it was without direction. Long live hot air. -30"

Quote from: WOTR on May 20, 2018, 12:00:14 PM
;D
If I'm not mistaken, it said "the wind no longer blows.  In the end it was without direction. Long live hot air. -30"

Yes, that's it.  Thanks, WOTR.  ;D

timebandit

Quote from: DynamoHum on May 20, 2018, 11:14:23 AM
Didn’t he spend a fair portion of the first Sirius show explaining about his issue with Premiere and C2Cam and it also being left out to dry with regard to support/legal counsel during the sexual assault case that concerned his son and a teacher?
I recall the same.. not sure where I heard or read it though

K_Dubb

Quote from: El Chorro on May 20, 2018, 11:46:26 AM
Somewhere along the line Art went from being a playa to cavorting in the international-online-dating scene. It may have been that his looks caught up with him, or he enjoyed the new technology, but I wonder how many of his ham-radio chums who were also into foreign brides were also swingers back in the day. The two pathologies don't seem to fit...instant vs. delayed gratification. Maybe the urge to dominate is common in them.

Well he was certainly interested early in relationships where the other party was materially dependent on him -- Marsha sounds like she moved in with him because she had nowhere else to go.  To what extent he leveraged that to get her to do things she found distasteful is up for debate, but then who is using whom?

It's a dynamic I find repugnant but most relationships are based on it to a degree, even now.