• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Michael Savage

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 07:05:49 AM

Quote from: McPhallus on November 01, 2012, 02:03:58 PM
I don't think Savage thought much of Kuehner.  Despite Kuehner's continual fawning, I don't remember Savage ever mentioning him.

I've always heard Jeffrey thank the host of the particular program on which he's a fill-in. I don't think he was fawning over Savage per se -- he was merely showing gratitude.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: TheGrimCreeper1 on November 01, 2012, 06:06:07 PM
I kinda like Kuehner, but he does have the voice of a Jewish caricature.
And he's not part of the tribe, funnily enough.

Kinda like John Batchelor not being a "friend of Dorothy" despite having the voice of one.

Okay. First segment of Savage is rather compelling this evening. He's focused and laser-sharp in his analysis of the presidential election so far. Now, this Michael Savage, I like. Hope I didn't jinx it.

The General

Savage is great and energetic lately, although he's gone back to canned third hours. 
That didn't take long.  Still, two good hours of live Savage is better than three of most hosts.

Eddie Coyle

Savage appears to be a trend-setter, as Laura Ingraham has now also fled the sinking ship of TRN. Soon enough, TRN's talent will be reduced to Radio Roy, Rusty Trombone Humpries and Phil Hendrie...who's been trying to flee TRN since 2009 but lacks the sense(or cents) to do it.

The General

Quote from: The General on October 24, 2012, 12:44:14 PM
Savage is back.  You can listen to his show online for free by going to KSFO's website, they have a 7 day archive where you can listen to any hour of any day going back a week, which is great.  All stations should do that.  He is there from 6-9 pm starting Tuesday, Oct 23.

http://www.ksfo560.com/article.asp?id=534876
This link no longer works, but I found another black market podcast of Savage that does work if anyone is interested.  His new time slot makes his show hard to catch.  For me, anyway.
http://conservativestream.com/recorded-shows/savage.php

The General

His show has been really good lately.  Well, the first two hours of it. 
I don't bother with the third hour anymore, it's always a repeat. 

McPhallus

Quote from: The General on January 12, 2013, 12:04:32 AM
This link no longer works, but I found another black market podcast of Savage that does work if anyone is interested.  His new time slot makes his show hard to catch.  For me, anyway.
http://conservativestream.com/recorded-shows/savage.php

Nice.  This way, I won't have to click on each hour, then click on the web player on my phone.  Thanks for this.

The General

Quote from: McPhallus on January 12, 2013, 11:47:15 PM
Nice.  This way, I won't have to click on each hour, then click on the web player on my phone.  Thanks for this.
Welcome.  What were you using before?

McPhallus

Quote from: The General on January 13, 2013, 12:14:56 AM
Welcome.  What were you using before?

The KSFO archive you posted earlier, which required clicking on each hour.

BTW, I can still pull it up here:

http://vaca.bayradio.com/ksfo_archives/?d=2#

The General

Quote from: McPhallus on January 13, 2013, 07:47:13 PM
The KSFO archive you posted earlier, which required clicking on each hour.

BTW, I can still pull it up here:

http://vaca.bayradio.com/ksfo_archives/?d=2#
Oh interesting.  OK, it looks like they put it back up.  They had taken that down back in November or so.  I had to search high and low for this ConservativeStream replacement.  I even emailed KSFO about why they disabled it, and they said because Cumulus complained that it was in effect an illegal podcast of their property.  Apparently that all got ironed out because they've put it back up.  Well, anyhow, it's good to have a backup. 

I bet Savage has a TON of podcast-only listeners because of his new time slot.  These listeners don't get factored into ratings, do they?  His real numbers are probably much higher than reported.  It's hard for me to imagine that Mark Levin or Sean Hannity would have people taking the time to download their show.  Maybe I just think so because I don't enjoy them.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: The General on January 13, 2013, 08:39:27 PM
It's hard for me to imagine that Mark Levin or Sean Hannity would have people taking the time to download their show.  Maybe I just think so because I don't enjoy them.

amen, brother.

McPhallus

Quote from: The General on January 13, 2013, 08:39:27 PM
Oh interesting.  OK, it looks like they put it back up.  They had taken that down back in November or so.  I had to search high and low for this ConservativeStream replacement.  I even emailed KSFO about why they disabled it, and they said because Cumulus complained that it was in effect an illegal podcast of their property.  Apparently that all got ironed out because they've put it back up.

Interesting.  I've never had a problem downloading the prerecorded shows.  Although, a while back, they removed the ads for a couple of weeks.  This was interesting because you could hear a little bit of chatter between savage and his staff.

And just today, he went off on someone after the bumper music started playing near the end of the show.  As much as I enjoy the show, I wouldn't want to work for the guy... He must be an awful boss.

The General

A song Savage plays all the time...

Amor verdadero - Afro Cuban All Stars

I wish I could find the other Cuban song he plays all the time, the one that says "Para Vivir."

Juan

He likes Perez Prado.  Maybe it's something by him.

Definitely thanks for the link, Savage is another one of my favorite shows.

Okay, so this is clearly a bare-knuckles forum.  And it's not my intention to piss all over a person who a lot of you clearly enjoy or even respect.  But let me post a rather notorious quotation from Savage's television days (the quote that got him booted off MSNBC -- yeah, I know, they're a bunch of commies).  His words were in response to a caller who identified himself as gay:  "Oh, you're one of the sodomites.  You should only get AIDS and die, you pig.  How's that?  Why don't you see if you can sue me, you pig.  You got nothing better than to put me down, you piece of garbage.  You have got nothing to do today, go eat a sausage and choke on it."
I don't know what the caller had said prior to Savage's response.  I suspect it was insulting, perhaps very misrepresentative of Savage's true words.  But I'd have much more respect for Savage had he taken apart the person's argument based on any lies or misinformation the person was "selling" rather than just venting his evident disdain for a chunk of the population. 

I suppose I am one of those so-called "concern trolls" who is worried about the state of rhetoric/discourse in America.  So many pundits (and anonymous posters) are intent on annihilating the opposition.  Essentially, I see a lot of people as seeing their side (politically speaking) as all intelligent, hard working, honest, and honorable.  The other side?  They're all just lying, stupid, dishonest, lazy, and without any integrity.  I think there are a cankerous abundance of assholes on both sides of the political aisle (and in the parties "in between" those aisles).  There are those I respect as well on both sides.

I think members of both major political parties do it, but I think some people who are iconic radio and television stars are much more prone to such reductionist thinking because that's how they make money.  By being "out there", over the top, pushing the envelope.  Some of these people (Limbaugh, Sharpton, Beck, Olbermann, Coulter, et al) make tens of millions of dollars a year by appealing to our worst assumptions about "the other side".  I think of Savage as being this type.  I am no fan.

McPhallus

I haven't heard that story, but it doesn't surprise me.  Savage is often an ass to callers, even those who agree with him.  I've heard him mock the way callers talk, while he can be very gracious to others.  I think he considers most of his callers to be boorish and unsophisticated, but every now and then there's always that one person who helps carry the show to a new level. 

I'm guessing hosts like Savage view callers as a necessary evil.  Ever since Savage switched networks, he complains regularly--sometimes daily--about how the call screener isn't doing their job.  These days, when someone calls the show, I can hear the anxiety in their voice because they don't know how the mercurial Savage is going to react.

Well, life is short.  Savage has got to be worth many millions by now.  Isn't he 70-something?  Maybe it's time to quit if the gig brings him so much frustration.  There was a sports-radio guy here in northern California (Pete Franklin) who just got pissed off with half his callers.  God forbid you call and identify yourself as a Dodgers fan.  He'd play a toilet-flushing sound and go into a rant.  I guess a segment of the audience dug it, but eventually he was shown the door.  Of course, a lot of sports talk radio is pretty juvenile.

Juan

I saw the Savage TV show - I'm not sure all of what you quoted was actually said, but enough of it was.  If I had been a TV exec, I would have fired him, too.  The caller did say something insulting - I don't remember what.

I find Savage's show amusing sometimes.  He frequently has the accuracy of Ed Dames when he goes on a tear.

He also goes of about Allen Ginsburg, but supposedly, well back there, the two were friends and there is reputed to be a photo of them swimming naked together.  All in all, I think Savage is a character that Weiner made up for radio.

Quote from: UFO Fill on February 10, 2013, 08:02:28 PM
I saw the Savage TV show - I'm not sure all of what you quoted was actually said, but enough of it was.  If I had been a TV exec, I would have fired him, too.  The caller did say something insulting - I don't remember what.

I find Savage's show amusing sometimes.  He frequently has the accuracy of Ed Dames when he goes on a tear.

He also goes of about Allen Ginsburg, but supposedly, well back there, the two were friends and there is reputed to be a photo of them swimming naked together.  All in all, I think Savage is a character that Weiner made up for radio.

You may be right about Weiner creating the "Savage" character.  He wouldn't be the first to recognize a market and try to fill it.  Hell, I don't know what I'd be willing to say if it meant I could become a multi-millionaire.  I'd like to think I'd have some integrity -- as, I think, some talkshow hosts do -- but maybe the temptation would be too much.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: UFO Fill on February 10, 2013, 08:02:28 PM
All in all, I think Savage is a character that Weiner made up for radio.

this is what always has nagged at me where savage is concerned.  i sometimes get the feeling he doesn't really believe what he says.

The General

Savage has a temper, and it definitely gets him into trouble sometimes.  There was the 'sodomite' comment on his tv show mentioned above, the flap over autism, his many lawsuits with CAIR and his former syndicators, not to mention the fact that he's banned everywhere from Great Britain to Fox News.  When he's not losing his temper (which is actually pretty rare, especially now) he's really very reasonable and moderate on a lot of things.  He supports Liberal Democrats when he thinks they are right and disagrees with Conservative Republicans when he thinks they're wrong.  He's truly an independent and he's a highly educated, reasonable guy 95% of the time.

As a long time fan and a collector of his books (he's penned at least 25 since the early 70's), I can tell you that he's definitely not a fake.  He's often unpredictable, but that guy you hear on the radio is the same guy that was writing health and nutrition books over the last 40 years.  He's been pretty consistent in his entire public life.  His politics have shifted some over the years, but hasn't yours?  That doesn't mean that it's all an 'act.'

Juan

Well, that's interesting.  He's certainly an intelligent man - perhaps with the most formal education of anyone on the air (though Hugh Hewitt has an undergraduate degree from Harvard and a law degree from Michigan).  I find his stream-of-consciousness rants delightful.

Dex

I love Michael.  He's crazy and writes well.  I have never minded that fill in the conversation thing he does because I feel it's done to give complete focus on the person speaking.  He just automates in a few things keep it flowing and to get right back to the point. 

Noory does this on commercials.  This was probably said here but I didn't feel like reading every post.  And correct me but dint Art have something like that going on, ahhhh, it's been so long, I forget.

Dex

Quote from: McPhallus on February 10, 2013, 07:15:31 PM
I haven't heard that story, but it doesn't surprise me.  Savage is often an ass to callers, even those who agree with him.  I've heard him mock the way callers talk, while he can be very gracious to others.  I think he considers most of his callers to be boorish and unsophisticated, but every now and then there's always that one person who helps carry the show to a new level. 

I'm guessing hosts like Savage view callers as a necessary evil.  Ever since Savage switched networks, he complains regularly--sometimes daily--about how the call screener isn't doing their job.  These days, when someone calls the show, I can hear the anxiety in their voice because they don't know how the mercurial Savage is going to react.
Yes he is crazy.  And I don't like why he does "that kind of shit."  I remember him ripping apart Edie Falco and Nurse Jackie.  I refused to watch it because of all he said that night.  I finally watched a long time later and it is def one of my favorite shows.  I take him with a salt shaker.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: MV on February 11, 2013, 02:59:13 PM

this is what always has nagged at me where savage is concerned.  i sometimes get the feeling he doesn't really believe what he says.

I agree.  He's an actor with a stage name.  If a different road were open for him in the past he would have been a liberal professor at Berkeley.

The General

I'm really disappointed in Savage for buying into this 'false flag,' Alex Jones horse shit regarding the Boston Bombing and the subsequent events.  He should know better than that. 

Quote from: The General on April 19, 2013, 11:37:59 AM
I'm really disappointed in Savage for buying into this 'false flag,' Alex Jones horse shit regarding the Boston Bombing and the subsequent events.  He should know better than that.

I haven't heard Savage in a while (my local provider dropped him in favor of somebody Doyle).  But maybe the guy is slowing down, getting tired.  He's got to be worth a lot of dough now, so maybe he's just phoning it in to a degree.  We hear some pundits talk about how they're up in the wee hours each morning preparing for their show, perusing the internet and other news sources and so forth.  My suspicion is that some of them wander in a couple hours before their shows, drink some coffee, flirt with the clerical pool, and then go in and B.S. their way through another 3 or 4 hours.  Just a thought....