• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Mr. Fidget

Started by KnyeGuy, July 24, 2009, 11:15:49 AM

albrecht

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on March 15, 2016, 09:03:17 PM
I like this picture of one of my bigger sculptures.
Wow. Nice. Btw I was hoping you'd use your phone magic (though I don't the technique likely wouldn't work under the Skype and digital days) to call in when Art hosted the show last week!
ps: good luck and keep on fidgeting!

Mr. Fidget

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: albrecht on March 18, 2016, 05:19:16 PM
Wow. Nice. Btw I was hoping you'd use your phone magic (though I don't the technique likely wouldn't work under the Skype and digital days) to call in when Art hosted the show last week!
ps: good luck and keep on fidgeting!
I think based on Art's response to me in his thread, I could call... as long as I was not selling anything ;) When I have something to say... I will. Right now I'm just scrambling to get myself into a first world living condition. Art "lifting the curse" was a great thing, and has reinvigorated my desire to keep going with my inventions/discoveries. Below pictured is my work from the last few days, a quantum burrito... I'll be keeping fidgeting :)

Mr. Fidget

Some folks like a nice binary soup to wash down their quantum burrito. :)

Mr. Fidget

What we have here is nothing, in a cube... surrounded by a dodecahedron... within another cube... entirely made of circles.

The General

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on March 18, 2016, 09:13:38 PM
My "set of four".
Which one is the original Fidget?  Upper left?

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: The General on March 26, 2016, 11:28:51 PM
Which one is the original Fidget?  Upper left?
Indeed, upper left. That's the one I first made in 1991. I call it an "Original Linkey Fidget". To it's right is "The Clicker", the three loops of chain. Below is "The Double Ring Rotator", with the "Domino" to it's right. I consider them all "Linkey Fidgets".
   Someday I'd like to have the time and space to write a comprehensive history on the "Original". I know I can fill one hundred pages of tips, tricks, techniques, and insights. Hopefully sooner than later. :)

Mr. Fidget

Stacked dodecahedrons.

albrecht

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on March 28, 2016, 09:42:49 PM
Stacked dodecahedrons.
MF have you ever approached any museum or art gallery or school of art etc to show, sell, or display your stuff? I've far worse stuff in places like that. (Of course no accounting for tastes and who am I to judge.) But? Maybe an option esp because your mat stuff is cool but the fidgets are like art and mechanical/moving (and self-help and even time-travel) so that this multimedia art display stuff popular now at some galleries/places/festivals. And even interactive.
Ps: keep on fidgeting

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: albrecht on March 28, 2016, 10:13:34 PM
MF have you ever approached any museum or art gallery or school of art etc to show, sell, or display your stuff? I've far worse stuff in places like that. (Of course no accounting for tastes and who am I to judge.) But? Maybe an option esp because your mat stuff is cool but the fidgets are like art and mechanical/moving (and self-help and even time-travel) so that this multimedia art display stuff popular now at some galleries/places/festivals. And even interactive.
Ps: keep on fidgeting
I have no doubt that upon getting a basic level of stability, and actually starting a "business" such placements would occur. I've had interest from various outlets, but it always boils down to my basic inability to "conduct business" as an individual. It's not an unknown problem for "artist types", many of the best have had similar difficulties with "business". Right now I have huge problems (by my scale @ < $1000) including an upcoming auction of my Oregon storage, and lock-out of my LA unit. I don't know what I'm going to do, but I will find a way. My "gofundme" garnered $80 in a couple days, and although I stopped promoting it, it still exists. Nobody from Bellgab participated, and that showed me something...

and now to show ya'll something... this is a pinball top made from three sizes of chain, it can spin for < 5 minutes with one spin.

Mr. Fidget

These are some of my Dad's work:

73s

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on April 07, 2016, 05:00:08 PM
and now to show ya'll something... this is a pinball top made from three sizes of chain, it can spin for < 5 minutes with one spin.

That looks cool, how does it work? I can't envision how it spins.

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: 73s on April 07, 2016, 05:55:21 PM
That looks cool, how does it work? I can't envision how it spins.
It's the circles that spin, the weight of the chain holds the momentum as it spins on the pinball.
It has the "retrograde optical effect", multiple levels of visually changing directions like when a bicycle tire is "at that speed".

whoozit

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on April 07, 2016, 05:00:08 PM
Would you be willing to sell one for $60?  I could put the money plus shipping in your go fund me account and arrange shipping via pm.

aldousburbank

I keep forgetting what is this thread aboot.

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: whoozit on April 07, 2016, 06:13:50 PM
Would you be willing to sell one for $60?  I could put the money plus shipping in your go fund me account and arrange shipping via pm.
Wham! Art meets business... just like that. Alas, my pinball supply was fleeting, and I don't have those three sizes of chain currently. It's part of a collector's set that he got back when "creativity" met "material" in the 90's.
Maybe someday.

whoozit

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on April 07, 2016, 06:21:28 PM
Wham! Art meets business... just like that. Alas, my pinball supply was fleeting, and I don't have those three sizes of chain currently. It's part of a collector's set that he got back when "creativity" met "material" in the 90's.
Maybe someday.
Sorry, that was rather crass.  But it is quite aesthetically pleasing. 

- For the words of the profits were written on the studio walls

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 07, 2016, 06:20:14 PM
I keep forgetting what is this thread aboot.

It's aboot, in the most succinct extraction, circles connected to circles.

Mr. Fidget

This is the "Omnigrid" sculpture that can change it's shape.
I let this piece go for a song last year... to save my storage.

Mr. Fidget

This sculpture was... heck if I know.

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: whoozit on April 07, 2016, 06:28:36 PM
Sorry, that was rather crass.  But it is quite aesthetically pleasing. 

- For the words of the profits were written on the studio walls
I really don't blame you, when I found the pic in my laptop... I though "gosh, I want one of those again!".
I have recently found a potential pinball source, I'll keep you apprised when I can make one.
:)

whoozit

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on April 07, 2016, 09:39:45 PM
I really don't blame you, when I found the pic in my laptop... I though "gosh, I want one of those again!".
I have recently found a potential pinball source, I'll keep you apprised when I can make one.
Please do.  I am not a philistine and will pay for the artistry, not just some hunks of chain and a pinball.  As close as you can come to the mythical win-win situation.  I get an interesting piece for my desk and you get some cash for creating it and putting it together.

Mr. Fidget

Aww shucks, the sase's from Art's 1997 listeners got moist enough to seal themselves! They were fine when I put them in this briefcase in the 90's. My storage facility was not as "climate controlled" as I was lead to believe. Drat!!

Mr. Fidget

Yes, it is Fidget Friday... ask Mr. Fidget.

Mr. Fidget

Fidget Friday continues... all questions served before midnight MV time.

73s

Quote from: Mr. Fidget on April 15, 2016, 03:24:03 PM
Fidget Friday continues... all questions served before midnight MV time.

Hope you're having a good Friday Mr. Fidget

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: 73s on April 15, 2016, 05:57:14 PM
Hope you're having a good Friday Mr. Fidget
I am, and likewise 73s. I figure you are a ham, based on your user name. I'm a bit of a ham myself... but not the FCC kind. This pic is a screen grab of my first appearance on tv as an "extra". It was in Mork and Mindy, ep. 55 Dueling Skates (11/27/80). I was 12. I'm the kid whose hands you can see, looking at the camera. :)

Mr. Fidget

This is an old Hughes Planetarium.
I had one and took it apart to see the gears.
One cool apparatus.

chefist

Good luck, Mr Fidget!

Mr. Fidget

Quote from: chefist on April 15, 2016, 10:30:41 PM
Good luck, Mr Fidget!
Thanks chefist!
When I am set up in my studio, I'll put art in the store.
Fidget Friday is completed.