• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Nobody on December 15, 2016, 03:15:45 AM
Pardon my asking, but do you happen to know the specific episode of Ham Nation you heard on shortwave?  I've listened to the last 20 minutes of episodes 277, 276, and 267 on YouTube, but did not hear anything along the lines of the comments you mentioned in your earlier post:

I've gone back through 3-4 episodes and didn't hear it either, so perhaps it wasn't that show. And after listening to a few episodes I thought the format of the one I heard seemed different than Ham Nation. The program I heard where Art was mentioned was just 2 old guys talking about the rude behavior and language of some operators. I'm sorry I don't have more info, but I was busy with something else, half-listening (technical ham-speak is foreign to me).

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 15, 2016, 05:27:05 AM
Right?

I mean right?

Art is no quitter. he's just "hung up his headphones for good"

That's not quitting; that's just being very organized and neat.

I know it's been discussed here ad nauseum, but you guys are relentless on criticizing Art for quitting.  I did community radio for a number of years (no pay) and though my audience was miniscule compared to Art, they were always supportive and appreciative. I too would have quit had listeners trolled me as they have Art. For all the work that goes into doing a radio show, if it's not fun, why would anyone bother to continue--especially at retirement age? Given the choice between his family life, or subjecting himself to a bunch of malcontents... :D  I'm dissapointed he's off the air too, as IMO there's no one comparable to take his place, but I ain't mad.

Lilith

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on December 15, 2016, 07:40:04 AM
I know it's been discussed here ad nauseum, but you guys are relentless on criticizing Art for quitting.  I did community radio for a number of years (no pay) and though my audience was miniscule compared to Art, they were always supportive and appreciative. I too would have quit had listeners trolled me as they have Art. For all the work that goes into doing a radio show, if it's not fun, why would anyone bother to continue--especially at retirement age? Given the choice between his family life, or subjecting himself to a bunch of malcontents... :D  I'm dissapointed he's off the air too, as IMO there's no one comparable to take his place, but I ain't mad.

I understand what your saying, and I can have empathy for that view to a certain extent.  There might be an alternative universe where an audience without "trolls" exists, but to be honest, not this one.  The key I think, is learning to "have fun" with your trolls. Remind yourself that they are listeners too. In Arts' case, his trolls were paying listeners.  Many people in this universe, still enjoy listening to a trainwreck.  You can send them away, or you can appreciate them.

No one was trolling him before he quit.  And it wasn't that he quit - I was fed up with his drama after Dark Matter, but didn't say much - it was the asking for free help getting started, then obnoxious way he quit this last time around. 

ItsOver

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on December 15, 2016, 09:39:34 AM
No one was trolling him before he quit.  And it wasn't that he quit - I was fed up with his drama after Dark Matter, but didn't say much - it was the asking for free help getting started, then obnoxious way he quit this last time around.
Yep.  We definitely could have done without all the usual AB BS drama, especially after all the support he received for both DM and MITD.  He can't seem to differentiate between hosting a show and real life.

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on December 15, 2016, 07:05:07 AM
I've gone back through 3-4 episodes and didn't hear it either, so perhaps it wasn't that show. And after listening to a few episodes I thought the format of the one I heard seemed different than Ham Nation. The program I heard where Art was mentioned was just 2 old guys talking about the rude behavior and language of some operators. I'm sorry I don't have more info, but I was busy with something else, half-listening (technical ham-speak is foreign to me).
Probably the QSO podcast They broadcast on WTWW. Same station MITD was on til Bob Crane stopped paying for air time

I don't think anybody would have complained if Art had said "You know what I gave it my best these last 5 months but my heart just isn't in it anymore and I'd like to focus on my family and health instead of interview a carousel of charlatans that haven't changed their act since 1997"

JesusJuice

You need to stop with the sanctimonious bullshit about trolls. Art is a major troll himself. He directed his facebook cucks to call in and "troll" Jimmy Church on air. He organized a "troll" raid on Hoagland's show and even called him himself playing some soundboards.

ItsOver

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on December 15, 2016, 10:32:47 AM
...I don't think anybody would have complained if Art had said "You know what I gave it my best these last 5 months but my heart just isn't in it anymore and I'd like to focus on my family and health instead of interview a carousel of charlatans that haven't changed their act since 1997"
Ha!  The truth would have worked with the majority of his listeners.  First, PremRat was "the bad guy," then SiriusXM took their place.  "The Stalker" was the final straw.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Porch Testicles on December 15, 2016, 10:37:44 AM

You need to stop with the sanctimonious bullshit about trolls. Art is a major troll himself. He directed his facebook cucks to call in and "troll" Jimmy Church on air. He organized a "troll" raid on Hoagland's show and even called him himself playing some soundboards.

Agreed.  And don't forget Bell asking 'gabbers on this site to call in to various live radio shows to shill for his return on MITD.  He'd have gone ballistic had another radio host done the same to get callers to promote a show on C2C.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 15, 2016, 10:43:21 AM
Agreed.  And don't forget Bell asking 'gabbers on this site to call in to various live radio shows to shill for his return on MITD.  He'd have gone ballistic had another radio host done the same to get callers to promote a show on C2C.

That's double standards talk, mister!

ItsOver

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 15, 2016, 05:27:05 AM
Right?

I mean right?

Art is no quitter. he's just "hung up his headphones for good"

That's not quitting; that's just being very organized and neat.
It could have been worse.  At least for the headphones.

http://youtu.be/8ACgO_iDU7k

chefist

Quote from: ItsOver on December 15, 2016, 11:45:39 AM
It could have been worse.  At least for the headphones.

LOL...I watched that live...loved it...

ItsOver

Quote from: Chefist on December 15, 2016, 11:53:31 AM
LOL...I watched that live...loved it...
#headphoneslivesmatter   ;) :D

Lt.Uhura

I don't think anybody would have complained if Art had said "You know what I gave it my best these last 5 months but my heart just isn't in it anymore and I'd like to focus on my family and health instead of interview a carousel of charlatans that haven't changed their act since 1997"

Agreed.  He could have avoided a lot of the fallout had he bowed out without all the drama. Still, Art's flair for drama also captivated his audience, and was big factor in his success as a show host for so many years.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on December 15, 2016, 09:39:34 AM

I disagree.  Wasn't it back in the 90s when the anti-Filipino letter was circulated? Not to mention other hateful, unproven rumors about his personal life during the period when his show had its largest following. Being a celebrity in the spotlight no doubt attracts a number of malevolent creeps, but after awhile I think it gets old and the spotlight becomes a glaring distraction.

As mentioned previously by many here at BellGab, perhaps his biggest mistake was coming out of retirement to MITD full-time.  The burnout doesn't take long when one over-commits and can't balance work with personal life, especially as an older person.

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on December 15, 2016, 03:24:58 PM
I disagree.  Wasn't it back in the 90s when the anti-Filipino letter was circulated? Not to mention other hateful, unproven rumors about his personal life during the period when his show had its largest following. Being a celebrity in the spotlight no doubt attracts a number of malevolent creeps, but after awhile I think it gets old and the spotlight becomes a glaring distraction.

As mentioned previously by many here at BellGab, perhaps his biggest mistake was coming out of retirement to MITD full-time.  The burnout doesn't take long when one over-commits and can't balance work with personal life, especially as an older person.

He should have only worked 2 or 3 nights a week not the 5 day routine.  Of course, he will say that he was all in but the stalker and health issues forced him to hang it up.

Corona Kitty

Let's take a look back in time shall we?

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/alt.fan.art-bell/wfn-7ptiDV4

This is before your time..... back when trolling meant something.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 15, 2016, 03:42:26 PM
He should have only worked 2 or 3 nights a week not the 5 day routine.  Of course, he will say that he was all in but the stalker and health issues forced him to hang it up.
The excuses of PremRat and bad streaming had already been used.  May as well find another scapegoat.

Ciardelo

Quote from: brigâ,,¢Â©2015 on December 15, 2016, 07:56:28 AM
I understand what your saying, and I can have empathy for that view to a certain extent.  There might be an alternative universe where an audience without "trolls" exists, but to be honest, not this one.  The key I think, is learning to "have fun" with your trolls. Remind yourself that they are listeners too. In Arts' case, his trolls were paying listeners.  Many people in this universe, still enjoy listening to a trainwreck.  You can send them away, or you can appreciate them.
+1 :beams:

Robert

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 15, 2016, 10:43:21 AMAgreed.  And don't forget Bell asking 'gabbers on this site to call in to various live radio shows to shill for his return on MITD.  He'd have gone ballistic had another radio host done the same to get callers to promote a show on C2C.
That's what he was asking?  I thought he just wanted us to contact program directors.  That's all I did.

Robert

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on December 15, 2016, 03:05:57 PMAgreed.  He could have avoided a lot of the fallout had he bowed out without all the drama. Still, Art's flair for drama also captivated his audience, and was big factor in his success as a show host for so many years.
Art Bell: legit, charlatan, deluded, or crazy?

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on December 15, 2016, 03:24:58 PM
I disagree.  Wasn't it back in the 90s when the anti-Filipino letter was circulated? Not to mention other hateful, unproven rumors about his personal life during the period when his show had its largest following. Being a celebrity in the spotlight no doubt attracts a number of malevolent creeps, but after awhile I think it gets old and the spotlight becomes a glaring distraction...

I thought you meant he'd been affected by trolling after starting up MITD, that there was something new that made him say the hell with it.

The way he went out, the contempt he showed for his audience, insulting their intelligence, he should be scorned and trolled.  I doubt there will be a time when he can show up here and not be trolled.

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on December 15, 2016, 03:05:57 PM
Agreed.  He could have avoided a lot of the fallout had he bowed out without all the drama. Still, Art's flair for drama also captivated his audience, and was big factor in his success as a show host for so many years.

If that's what it was, he grossly underestimated how fed up people were with the drama and the quitting.  It was finally just too much.  And then to let the fighting here go on for months.

His best hope to end up with any dignity at all would be to come clean, admit he wanted to go out with a flair, and that it didn't quite go the way he wanted it to.  And then do a show once in awhile, like he gave people the expectation he would.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Robert on December 15, 2016, 08:12:34 PM
That's what he was asking?  I thought he just wanted us to contact program directors.  That's all I did.

Bell did both.  There were a few of us here who called him out on the on-air troll promotion, I know I nailed him for it.  He eventually let it slide.  If you care enough, I'm sure you can find the thread during the build up to MITD.

Xtreme1

Art was interviewed on QSO today podcast on March 19, 2016 Episode 85 listed under Arts call sign W60BB A different side of Art for sure. Good interview.

http://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/w6obb

Lilith

Quote from: Xtreme1 on December 15, 2016, 11:43:49 PM
Art was interviewed on QSO today podcast on March 19, 2016 Episode 85 listed under Arts call sign W60BB A different side of Art for sure. Good interview.

http://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/w6obb

Listening to Eric reminds me of OpenLinesGerry.

pate

Quote from: username on December 13, 2016, 06:05:41 PM

She did die, however I am going to perform a miracle. In January, I plan to perform a resurrection ... where one Amy Martin, makes her return to the program.

That is interesting, I also note that you use the less common Left Eye of Horus in your current avatar.

I have said too much....

Nobody

Oh, that's quite all right.  I had a good time listening to bits and pieces of Ham Nation anyway. :)

I would have liked to think that ham radio was immune to the sort of buffoonery one finds on the CyberTubes, but manners seem to be on the decline everywhere in the twenty-first century.  There's no reason I am aware of that would render radio immune from this disheartening trend.

Nobody

Probably the QSO podcast They broadcast on WTWW.

Thank you for posting that link (and the Ham Nation YouTube episode as well).

I think the QSO programme is more my style simply because it's just two people chatting (kind of like ham radio itself).  The Ham Nation shows are pretty cool, too, but man, those Ham "shacks" they show look more like professional broadcast studios than the sort of place you'd expect to find people messing about with radios. :)

Same station MITD was on til Bob Crane stopped paying for air time

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know when Bob Crane pulled the plug on MITD on WTWW?

I have always wondered how many shortwave radios the C. Crane company sold off the back of MITD.  Not many, I suspect.  :(

I don't have an exact date for when it went off the air on WTWW. In mid July it started to get sporadic(only 2 or 3 shows a week.) I'm guessing Bob Crane signed up for a year as it's cheaper that way. By August it was gone for good. Girl Noory told callers she had no idea what was going on with WTWW, and Ted the owner/operator wouldn't return her emails. So either a) she lied to callers and defamed WTWW in the process or b) the MITD braintrust/C Crane decided to let it slide and not pursue legal action for paid airtime/breach of contract.

Frankly I'm bewildered how C Crane stays in business, let alone has the budget for airtime and ads. There can't be a huge market for radios these days. I'm guessing his target market is the elderly who haven't figured out online shopping