A Vulcan
97 (39.6%)
Hank's Japanese half-brother, "Junichero," in King of the Hill eps. 6ABE20-21  
57 (23.3%)
A stoner sufer named "Tracker," who mentored Sean Penn & Keanu Reeves
47 (19.2%)
Frankenstein's Monster
102 (41.6%)
One of those faces on the Sgt. Pepper album (2nd row from the top. Face #5)
66 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 245

Morgus

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 16, 2013, 03:38:05 PM
You see because I'm a Yorkshire man, I can see the quaint nod to the motherland from the colonialists, and it's met with a smile normally reserved for a little boy hitting the pan rather than his laces.. England is near Yorkshire..
The house I grew up in as a little boy was on a street named "Yorkshire Avenue"  :)

ItsOver

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 16, 2013, 03:38:05 PM
You see because I'm a Yorkshire man, I can see the quaint nod to the motherland from the colonialists, and it's met with a smile normally reserved for a little boy hitting the pan rather than his laces.. England is near Yorkshire..

It's amusing listening to various American accents trying to do an English accent; especially when it's called 'British'. Forgetting Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Having said that some can hit a generic received 'BBC' English accent. Most appalling was Dick Van Dyke in anything where he was trying to reproduce anything within a 100 miles of London.

I have a few US friends, and I've sort of noted the differences in accents between states, and some of the intonations are obvious, and I'm sure  many/most on here could narrow down to a state or narrower rather than a region as I would. (A region that takes in about 4 billion square miles!)  ;D

Oh, yes, it's quite interesting to listen to the number of accents in the U.S. but I've noticed it seems to be dwindling with the impact of the media.  Quite a fascinating topic in it's own right.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: ItsOver on November 16, 2013, 03:44:36 PM

Oh, yes, it's quite interesting to listen to the number of accents in the U.S. but I've noticed it seems to be dwindling with the impact of the media.  Quite a fascinating topic in it's own right.

Over here  (I'll say England as I'm far more familiar than I am with Wales or Scotland, I've never been to Ireland) the indigenous populations can be narrowed down within certain cities. Certainly from a countywide aspect..someone who has lived all their life in Sheffield in South Yorkshire (They sound different between south and north of the city) sounds completely different to someone in a similar position just twenty miles away, and anyone in (for example) Northallerton in North Yorkshire (about 120 miles away) would sound as if they're from a different country to someone not familiar. Leeds and Bradford are two cities very close to each other in West Yorkshire, but have different accents. I think America probably might not have such varied accents in a short space. Of course any kind of immigration can totally flip everything I've just said.

This link from the BBC has recordings of people talking in their local accents.
Just click on the map and listen to a sound clip.

Organized by county
http://sounds.bl.uk/Accents-and-dialects/BBC-Voices
Map interface
http://sounds.bl.uk/Sound-Maps/Accents-and-dialects
http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/

Norfolk is my favorite
http://sounds.bl.uk/Accents-and-dialects/BBC-Voices/021M-C1190X0024XX-0101V0

ItsOver

Yes, the accents in the U.S seem to be more spread out, in general, but in the denser populated areas, for example in the Northeast, the accent variety follows something closer to what you've mentioned for England, YP.  Even in a state like Ohio, there's different accents for the Cleveland, central Ohio, southeastern Ohio, and Cincinnati areas.  I'm in Texas, and 'immigration," including from other states, has had a definite impact.  For a native Texan, someone from another state is often viewed as a "foreigner." I remember being called a "Yankee" numerous times in the fairly distant past.  :)

ZHero

Quote from: ItsOver on November 16, 2013, 04:03:24 PM
Yes, the accents in the U.S seem to be more spread out, in general, but in the denser populated areas, for example in the Northeast, the accent variety follows something closer to what you've mentioned for England, YP.  Even in a state like Ohio, there's different accents for the Cleveland, central Ohio, southeastern Ohio, and Cincinnati areas.  I'm in Texas, and 'immigration," including from other states, has had a definite impact.  For a native Texan, someone from another state is often viewed as a "foreigner." I remember being called a "Yankee" numerous times in the fairly distant past.  :)
We have two categories of Yankees here in NC.
Yankees - northeners who come to the south to visit.
Damn Yankees - northeners who come down south and STAY!  ::)

valdez

I could tell you that at the outset of the Roger Stone interview he made a reference to the Borg and Wells acted like he knew what Stone was talking about, but I don't think he did, which means we may now have two c2c host that know nothing about Star Trek.  And I could tell you that Wells asked Stone three times as to the fate of Malcom Wallace (the guy who, according to Stone, dealt JFK the kill shot) and three times the question was answered leaving me kind of worried that maybe we now have two c2c host who can't remember what questions were already asked.  I could tell you that Wells mumbled and stammered and played crappy music and got on his high horse and beckoned the masses to follow him into the land of milk and honey.  I could tell you those things, but I would be quibbling.  This was one of John B.'s best shows.  Roger Stone's thesis that LBJ killed JFK, and a bunch of other folks along the way, rocked.  Recently George has been using the word "riveting," and it’s a cold day in hell when he can even come close to delivering on such a promise.  Tonight Wells delivered.  Kudos.

coup plotter?

FM451

Valdez, couldn't agree with you more. Very good show by Wells this Saturday. I don't mind 'conspiracy radio' if the topic is at least interesting. The LBJ/JFK show, the CIA/Plumlee show of a few weeks back, were worth a listen, as was the update on the Skycar.  Alex Jones absence has been most welcome.

ItsOver

Quote from: ZHero on November 17, 2013, 02:57:05 AM
We have two categories of Yankees here in NC.
Yankees - northeners who come to the south to visit.
Damn Yankees - northeners who come down south and STAY!  ::)

That seems to apply to Texas, too.  I've heard that many times.  When the natives greet me with damn Yankee, I just use the other old comeback "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as soon as I could."  At least they usually take their hands off their six-shooters.  ;)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: ItsOver on November 17, 2013, 11:20:49 AM
That seems to apply to Texas, too.  I've heard that many times.  When the natives greet me with damn Yankee, I just use the other old comeback "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as soon as I could."  At least they usually take their hands off their six-shooters.  ;)

Don't they scuff their knuckles on the floor as they drag though?  :)

RedMichael

Valdez, one of my many complaints against Wells is that if the listener is paying attention it becomes obvious that Wells and the guest are having two different conversations. Wells has to be suffering the early stages of dementia. I didn't want to say that but its kinda sad now. If you look at his pictures that guy is up there in years and he can't string together rational thoughts to save his life.

ItsOver

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 17, 2013, 11:25:56 AM

Don't they scuff their knuckles on the floor as they drag though?  :)

:D  Most of the cowboys are pretty decent folks, after they've had their shots of whisky and finished shooting-up the local saloon.  The barbecue makes-up for everything.

shell88

I don't mind mind John B Wells.  I have no negative reactions to him like many others here.

FallenSeraph

Quote from: valdez on November 17, 2013, 07:25:52 AM
     I could tell you that at the outset of the Roger Stone interview he made a reference to the Borg and Wells acted like he knew what Stone was talking about, but I don't think he did, which means we may now have two c2c host that know nothing about Star Trek.  And I could tell you that Wells asked Stone three times as to the fate of Malcom Wallace (the guy who, according to Stone, dealt JFK the kill shot) and three times the question was answered leaving me kind of worried that maybe we now have two c2c host who can't remember what questions were already asked.  I could tell you that Wells mumbled and stammered and played crappy music and got on his high horse and beckoned the masses to follow him into the land of milk and honey.  I could tell you those things, but I would be quibbling.  This was one of John B.'s best shows.  Roger Stone's thesis that LBJ killed JFK, and a bunch of other folks along the way, rocked.  Recently George has been using the word "riveting," and it’s a cold day in hell when he can even come close to delivering on such a promise.  Tonight Wells delivered.  Kudos.

coup plotter?

Yeah, I know this is a shocker, but I liked it too. For once I was glad I had insomnia.

Nebraska888

Quote from: Seraphim27 on November 17, 2013, 01:49:30 PM
Yeah, I know this is a shocker, but I liked it too. For once I was glad I had insomnia.

I agree......Wells had a damned good program. 

grano salis

Quote from: valdez on November 17, 2013, 07:25:52 AM
      And I could tell you that Wells asked Stone three times as to the fate of Malcom Wallace (the guy who, according to Stone, dealt JFK the kill shot) .  This was one of John B.'s best shows.  Roger Stone's thesis that LBJ killed JFK, and a bunch of other folks along the way, rocked. 

coup plotter?

There may be reasons to doubt that Oswald was the lone gunman, but Stone's ideation regarding LBJ  as a coup mastermind is seriously flawed (noting of course that LBJ was a purely political creature, unpleasant and devious, etc).  Stone would have us believe that LBJ arranged the Kennedy assasination+/- the CIA, +/- the mafia, +/- the complicity of Nixon, G H W Bush  (the possiblities are numerically challenging and dubious ) motivated by JFK's and Bobby Kennedy's dislike of LBJ.  Stone contends that  JFK and Bobby Kennedy were either going to 1) unceremoniously dump  Johnson from the proposed VP position on JFK's re-election bid in 1964, because (?) Johnson was a scandal  tainted "corn-pone" or 2) Bobby Kennedy was going to "politically destroy LBJ because of LBJ's relationship with  Texas con man Billie Sol Estes".   Stone destroys (assasinates?) his  own conspiracy premise, however, when he "explains" how LBJ became the VP choice in 1960:  Mainly that Kennedy needed Texas to win the election and needed Johnson to control the Senate with his considerable contacts and crony fellow senators (such as Robt. Byrd W. Va.).  The argument falls  entirely apart if one considers whether Kennedy needed Johnson OR Texas to win re-election.  If Kennedy needed Johnson, Johnson would have little motivation ot kill Kennedy,  realizing that social legislation planned for the next four years would assure Johnson's election as President in 1968 (Johnson controlled the Senate).  If Kennedy did NOT need Johnson or Texas to win re-election in 1964, Kennedy could have easily avoided going to Dallas, Texas in 1963.  Stone's analysis is illogical.

ziznak

I like all the Kennedy stuff. 
I even enjoy laughing at Well's and his beatnik idea of cool

But I really didn't listen enough and stayed up through the replay with little or nothing
retained. 

mombird3

It was a very good show.

yumyumtree

Good point, Valdez. And it was a good show. Even if I don't agree with the guy, he's interesting.
After years of doubting(partly because of "super bullet" and also seeing the Zapruder film as an impressionable college freshman)that Oswald acted alone , I have now come to the conclusion that the Warren Commission was right.
Far be it from me to defend LBJ, the man was despicable. But just because a guy steals elections, pulls dogs' ears and leaves the bathroom door open, it doesn't follow that he murdered a president and a string of other people. If you notice a lot if this stuff was based on hearsay, and he admitted himself that all if these people, except Bush 41, are dead. Some if it reminds me of rumors swirling around the Clinton in the 80s and 90s, in Arkansas and DC both. There were suicides, mysterious deaths and so forth, and the Clinton's probably benefitted from some of them, but nothing credible linked them to, say, Vince Foster.  Again, far be it from me to defend the Clintons I don't like them, but I have to be honest about this stuff as I see it. Look for it to resurface if Hillary runs for pres., though. Stone emphasized that he's not a conspiracy theorist, but has some if the characteristics of one. The fact that somebody benefits from a crime doesn't mean they committed it. Johnson was just in the right place at the right time.
I think that in addition to relying on third and fourth hand information, much of it from questionable sources, he cherry-picked what would support his theory and ignore other things.
One thing that caught my attention was his reference to a Jackie Kennedy memoir. I thought "that's funny, I wasn't aware that Jackie, who died in 1994, ever wrote one." You know darn well that it would have made a huge splash if she had, since she was a very saught-after, but also very private, person. So I looked it up. The only thing I found fitting that description was a NOVEL called The Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.  And according to the amazon description, it's quite salacious. Is this guy Stone so befuddled that he mistook this novel for a real Jackie memoir?

I have to admit that the whole issue of Jack Ruby did bother me, and still does. I think that's the reason I entertained the conspiracy theories as long as I did.

yumyumtree

When I said Vince Foster, I meant Vince Foster's death. Of course they were linked to Vince Foster.

Falkie2013

Quote from: Nebraska888 on November 17, 2013, 04:48:16 PM

I agree......Wells had a damned good program.

I enjoyed it too and am probably going to get the book.

I know from first hand knowledge from when we lived in DC just how conniving LBJ could be.

Payoffs, bribes and the like were regular talk around our house as my Mother worked to take care of a big time lawyer who was the head attorney for Sony, Inland and Bethlehem Steel ( and others ) and who arranged for big bags of cash to be taken to the Army Navy Club to be given to Bobby Baker for payoffs for legislation and in some cases direct to LBJ himself.

Here are two links to the man who is long dead but had ties to the Batista government and Cuba for years and whose Father and Grandfather had been high up elected Cuban officials. He was an anti Communist Republican all the way back to the 1930s.

A stroke curtailed his career and I used to sit in his Washington DC apartment before he had it and sat in his law office in New York.

That trip with my Mother attending is how I got to meet Richard Nixon in his offices in NYC.

http://books.google.com/books?id=OnA8AAAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA288&lpg=RA1-PA288&dq=attorney+raoul+e+desvernine&source=bl&ots=nfwMHujYKp&sig=KrMgh828qFc_Z8LGRidJf590myM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VLuJUvm2Buf52QXoj4GIDA&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=attorney%20raoul%20e%20desvernine&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=wRvvz9sfLE8C&pg=RA2-PA47&lpg=RA2-PA47&dq=attorney+raoul+e+desvernine&source=bl&ots=4yE1zDSStG&sig=elr4ciZ1-esRZwgfrJn8f0N8XPY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=k7uJUvjkA6PW2gWf5YG4Cg&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=attorney%20raoul%20e%20desvernine&f=false

Falkie2013

Quote from: yumyumtree on November 18, 2013, 12:24:23 AM
Good point, Valdez. And it was a good show. Even if I don't agree with the guy, he's interesting.
After years of doubting(partly because of "super bullet" and also seeing the Zapruder film as an impressionable college freshman)that Oswald acted alone , I have now come to the conclusion that the Warren Commission was right.
Far be it from me to defend LBJ, the man was despicable. But just because a guy steals elections, pulls dogs' ears and leaves the bathroom door open, it doesn't follow that he murdered a president and a string of other people. If you notice a lot if this stuff was based on hearsay, and he admitted himself that all if these people, except Bush 41, are dead. Some if it reminds me of rumors swirling around the Clinton in the 80s and 90s, in Arkansas and DC both. There were suicides, mysterious deaths and so forth, and the Clinton's probably benefitted from some of them, but nothing credible linked them to, say, Vince Foster.  Again, far be it from me to defend the Clintons I don't like them, but I have to be honest about this stuff as I see it. Look for it to resurface if Hillary runs for pres., though. Stone emphasized that he's not a conspiracy theorist, but has some if the characteristics of one. The fact that somebody benefits from a crime doesn't mean they committed it. Johnson was just in the right place at the right time.
I think that in addition to relying on third and fourth hand information, much of it from questionable sources, he cherry-picked what would support his theory and ignore other things.
One thing that caught my attention was his reference to a Jackie Kennedy memoir. I thought "that's funny, I wasn't aware that Jackie, who died in 1994, ever wrote one." You know darn well that it would have made a huge splash if she had, since she was a very saught-after, but also very private, person. So I looked it up. The only thing I found fitting that description was a NOVEL called The Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.  And according to the amazon description, it's quite salacious. Is this guy Stone so befuddled that he mistook this novel for a real Jackie memoir?

I have to admit that the whole issue of Jack Ruby did bother me, and still does. I think that's the reason I entertained the conspiracy theories as long as I did.

Apparently YOU heard a different show than I did. What he was referring to was tapes/interviews with Jackie that she made to be released 50 years later.

As for Oswald being the shooter, there is more than ample evidence to show he was NOT guilty and how the CIA and others set him up to be the fall guy. Multiple books and other materials show the inconsistencies with the entire conclusion stated in the Commision Report.

You also didn't apparently hear the guest say that 2 Congressional committees came to the same conclusion and that Chief Counsel Arlen Spector FAILED to interview crucial witnesses as did the members of the Warren Commission.

But then you probably don't believe that Vince Foster was found dead in a DC park under suspicious circumstances and probably think he killed himself by slipping on a shell casing wrapped in a banana peel.

Excerpt :

It's not as if they didn't know. Assistant counsels to the Warren Commission Burt Griffin and Leon Hubert wrote, in a memo to the Warren Commission members dated March 20, 1964, that "the most promising links between Jack Ruby and the assassination of President Kennedy are established through underworld figures and anti-Castro Cubans, and extreme right-wing Americans." 1 Two months later, Griffin and Hubert wrote another memo to the Commission, significantly titled "Adequacy of the Ruby Investigation" in which they warned, "We believe that a reasonable possibility exists that Ruby has maintained a close interest in Cuban affairs to the extent necessary to participate in gun sales or smuggling."

"They're going to find out about Cuba.
They're going to find out about the guns,
find out about New Orleans,
find out about everything."

Ruby had talked about it himself while in jail, reportedly telling a friend, "They're going to find out about Cuba. They're going to find out about the guns, find out about New Orleans, find out about everything."  Tales of Ruby running guns to Cuba abounded in the FBI reports taken in the first weeks after the assassination, yet neither the Warren Commission nor the House Select Committee pursued those leads very far. Griffin and Hubert expressed concern over this, saying that "neither Oswald's Cuban interests in Dallas nor Ruby's Cuban activities have been adequately explored."

http://www.ctka.net/pr795-ruby.html

Remember too that Jack Ruby was said to have a cold and as his one time attorney said :

Paraphrasing :

" Jack went into the hospital with a cold. A year later he was dead of cancer. "

Melvin Belli.

Andropov had a cold too and he died also of cancer if memory serves though it may have been a heart attack.

Though only Noory thinks there are no such things as coincidences. I don't know how he feels about conspiracies except that he does say that not everything is a conspiracy.

So it was an accident that you got your job, eh George ?

But I digress.

http://www.coaststream.com/

last nights show can be heard here.

Nixon's Dirty Trickster: LBJ Killed JFK | Interview with Roger Stone

http://www.amazon.com/Jacqueline-Kennedy-Historic-Conversations-Life/dp/1401324258/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384759681&sr=1-1&keywords=jacqueline+kennedy+historic+conversations+on+life+with+john+f+kennedy

http://jfkfacts.org/assassination/poll/why-roger-stones-jfk-book-cant-be-dismissed/

[attachment deleted by admin]

yumyumtree

That's right, I believe Vince Foster committed suicide.

I could have sworn I heard the word "memoir", but maybe not.

RedMichael

http://nymag.com/news/features/conspiracy-theories/50-years-of-conspiracy-theories/

Great article on American conspiracy theories and how they have evolved into what they are now. Didn't know where else to post it.

My thoughts on conspiracy theories is that by their nature, they do more harm than good. Usually by deluding the truth with conspiracy or deluding the pool of real conspiracies with ten times more (probably, at least) of bullshit ones. You start throwing out names remotely associated with anything hiding the real culprits (if there are any).

Instead of figuring out what really happened to JFK on that actual day we started playing a game of who was behind it and letting our imagination run wild. Well first, lets all agree on what happened that day and prove that then work our way up. You go from the bottom up not the other way. Or look at it like this, for every JFK conspiracy theres going to be dozens of UFO, weird creature, ghosts, etc conspiracies. Kind of shuffling the few that hold some merit into an awfully big deck of cards.

We have even gotten good at sneaking out conspiracy theories by giving them labels "black flag operation" "Insider job" etc. When any of those are still conspiracies but somehow hold some merit. Maybe because you can just say a term and not have to explain it.

Anyways it seems Wells got a solid show done and good for him. But lets use a good show of his to shine the light on the all the bad ones. He is the insane, dementia suffering boy, who cried wolf. Something happened that day in Dallas. Something got covered up. Was it huge? Or small but very embarrassing? We will probably never know because there are so many conspiracy theories now that there will just never be nearly as much attention to that event as there has been.

FM451

Yes!  Conspiracy Radio will be Rocking and Rolling this Saturday night. Host John B. Wells will present "Rock Star Death Conspiracies", a promised followup to his "Rock n' Roll show.  Guest  Alex Constantine "will present a paranoid romp through rock history - exploring Brian Jones' demise at Winnie the Pooh's house, Peter Tosh's death during a home invasion, and other terminations of subversive rock stars, and the bizarre conspiracies around their deaths. "  Looking forward to this one!  ;D

RedMichael, you make some good points two posts above this one...  Today on NPR's Science Friday, two forensic scientists were interviewed regarding the JFK assassination.  They argue through scientific review of existing evidence that the shooting could have been performed by a lone gunman, that there was nothing magic about the bullet, and that various other theories are pretty ludicrous.  Now I will say that I did not personally care for their rather unemotional response to the shooting... call me silly, but I think scientists do themselves (and science) a disservice by failing to invest a little emotionally into their presentation of research.*  However, from a purely scientific standpoint, the program was compelling and informative.  You can all find it at the NPR.org website in a few hours (once they've made the program available for immediate/free listening.

*  I think personality, humor, humility, passion were what made a Carl Sagan so much more than just a scientist.  I wish we had more like him.

Quote from: FM451 on November 22, 2013, 12:08:43 PM
Yes!  Conspiracy Radio will be Rocking and Rolling this Saturday night. Host John B. Wells will present "Rock Star Death Conspiracies", a promised followup to his "Rock n' Roll show.  Guest  Alex Constantine "will present a paranoid romp through rock history - exploring Brian Jones' demise at Winnie the Pooh's house, Peter Tosh's death during a home invasion, and other terminations of subversive rock stars, and the bizarre conspiracies around their deaths. "  Looking forward to this one!  ;D
In 'theory' it should be fine.
but...

yumyumtree

I can't place this author but it sounds like it might be good, if Wells sits back and lets him hold forth.

Maybe they will get into some of the less well known rock n roll deaths, instead of those that have already been talked to death, such as Elvis.

FallenSeraph

My ongoing phone sex fantasy aside, I'm loving John B. Wells' show tonight, kids. Throw things at me or call me names or whatever, but I think it has the potential to be awesome.  8)

That is all.

yumyumtree

Well, this guy sounds like a kook already. What I read about him online suggests he never met a  leftwing conspiracy theory he didnt like.

According to Wikipedia, he wrote a less well-known book claiming that OJ was innocent, the victim of a conspiracy, of course.