• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab Classic Movie Playhouse

Started by GravitySucks, June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

akwilly

Quote from: TigerLily on June 24, 2016, 04:11:52 AM
Yes! I've seen it a few times but my brain is sleep deprived and I couldn't come up with the title. Thanks Willy.
it was an OK movie. Ed Wood is kinda similar but I liked it a lot more. Check it out if you haven't seen it

TigerLily

Quote from: akwilly on June 24, 2016, 04:13:59 AM
it was an OK movie. Ed Wood is kinda similar but I liked it a lot more. Check it out if you haven't seen it

You're right. What really was classic about that movie was Willem Defoe's vampire.  Ed Wood is a great movie. At least Johnny Depp and Martin Landau were great

akwilly

Quote from: TigerLily on June 24, 2016, 04:29:09 AM
You're right. What really was classic about that movie was Willem Defoe's vampire.  Ed Wood is a great movie. At least Johnny Depp and Martin Landau were great
yep. The Hunter is an underrated movie with Defoe if you like him

Quote from: TigerLily on June 24, 2016, 03:58:51 AM
Quote from: 21st Century Man on Today at 04:39:58 AM
Yeah, me too.  I love German Expressionism and well Murnau and Lang are 2 of the greatest directors of all time. Other notables are Robert Wiene, Paul Leni, Joe May and GW Pabst.  I don't know if antisemitism was much of a factor in the work of these directors.  It would make for an interesting thesis to research though.

The name of the movie escapes me right now but did you see the movie with Willem Defoe and John Malkovich about the making of Nosferatu?  A Classic about a Classic

Sorry, TL.  I had gone to bed.  I'm glad that akwilly provided the answer. Shadow is an excellent film but I've forgotten a lot of it.

TigerLily

Turned on the tv to record a movie. Of course TCM was on and All About Eve is playing.  Bette Davis at her best and that's saying something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKHUGvde7KU

TigerLily

A little late. But a great Buster Keaton on TCM right now. I'm recording it and forgot to mention. If you need laugh or many laughs, he's your guy

Quote from: TigerLily on June 26, 2016, 10:12:15 PM
A little late. But a great Buster Keaton on TCM right now. I'm recording it and forgot to mention. If you need laugh or many laughs, he's your guy

Go West is a lot of fun.  I didn't watch it last night but I love it.

TigerLily

Just turned on the tv which happened to be on TCM. What else. Nelson Eddy just turned to Jeannette McDonald and said "Can you imagine?  We could have our very own ranch in Beverly Hills and grow orange trees." No, Nelson. No I can't.  ???  1938

"Hamlet" tonight with Larry Olivier. He lets me call him Larry. Will probably record it since it might conflict with the Spec Sheet

Quote from: TigerLily on June 29, 2016, 01:02:44 PM
Just turned on the tv which happened to be on TCM. What else. Nelson Eddy just turned to Jeannette McDonald and said "Can you imagine?  We could have our very own ranch in Beverly Hills and grow orange trees." No, Nelson. No I can't.  ???  1938

S.J. Perelman called Nelson Eddy, "The Singing Capon."  And now you know the rest of the story.

TigerLily

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on June 29, 2016, 01:07:19 PM
S.J. Perelman called Nelson Eddy, "The Singing Capon."  And now you know the rest of the story.

;D I will have that picture in my mind now every time I see him. He looks perpetually confused. Can't handle those movies. However Jeannette was in some great movies like "San Francisco". And a sassy precode movie with Maurice Chevalier. The title escapes me. Hang on ... "Love Me Tonight" 1932

Quote from: TigerLily on June 29, 2016, 01:16:54 PM
;D I will have that picture in my mind now every time I see him. He looks perpetually confused. Can't handle those movies. However Jeannette was in some great movies like "San Francisco". And a sassy precode movie with Maurice Chevalier. The title escapes me. Hang on ... "Love Me Tonight" 1932

I remember watching the first sound version of Phantom of The Opera with Claude Rains and there was Nelson Eddy.  Probably the only Universal Horror film of the period that was a complete disappointment.  No thrills at all.  Give me Lon Chaney's phantom.

I also love Jeanette MacDonald in San Francisco and many of the precodes that she did but the Eddy-MacDonald flicks were never my bag.  I did catch a good bit of Rose Marie recently and that was enjoyable fluff with a nice turn by Jimmy Stewart in an early supporting role.

Quote from: TigerLily on June 29, 2016, 01:16:54 PM

Sassy pre-Code movies are a blast!  I caught part of one awhile back with a very young Bogart.  In one scene, he mocks a woman having a cocaine induced hysterical breakdown by winking broadly at his pals and tapping the side of his nose.  Later, she hooks up with some cad, and there's a scene from the next morning with a close-up of the rumpled bedding and Macassar stains on the pillow.  Pretty wild stuff! I think the title is Three on a Match"

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on June 29, 2016, 02:01:19 PM
Sassy pre-Code movies are a blast!  I caught part of one awhile back with a very young Bogart.  In one scene, he mocks a woman having a cocaine induced hysterical breakdown by winking broadly at his pals and tapping the side of his nose.  Later, she hooks up with some cad, and there's a scene from the next morning with a close-up of the rumpled bedding and Macassar stains on the pillow.  Pretty wild stuff! I think the title is Three on a Match"

Yep.  That is a great precode with an excellent cast.  If you like precodes, get the Forbidden Hollywood sets available from the Warner Archive.  Loads of fun and Three On A Match is included.  10 volumes in all.  4-5 films per set.

TigerLily

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on June 29, 2016, 01:07:19 PM

Nelson Eddy. To me. Forevermore

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 29, 2016, 01:36:08 PM
I remember watching the first sound version of Phantom of The Opera with Claude Rains and there was Nelson Eddy.  Probably the only Universal Horror film of the period that was a complete disappointment.  No thrills at all.  Give me Lon Chaney's phantom.

I also love Jeanette MacDonald in San Francisco and many of the precodes that she did but the Eddy-MacDonald flicks were never my bag.  I did catch a good bit of Rose Marie recently and that was enjoyable fluff with a nice turn by Jimmy Stewart in an early supporting role.

The Mountie one? I did sit through that one because of Jimmy. And another where Jeannette was French royalty in Louisiana

Now I know the trick where popular but bad actors are surrounded by strong supporting casts.  Nelson Eddy, Esther Williams, George Raft

Quote from: TigerLily on June 29, 2016, 02:12:25 PM
Nelson Eddy. To me. Forevermore

MacDonald sure had a thing for him though even in real life.  Their affair was tempestuous at times though with heated arguments occasionally especially in the 30's. Eddy proposed marriage to her several times but he wanted her to retire from the screen and raise their family.  She said hell no.  My guess is that the romance continued for the rest of their lives given the close friendship that they maintained until MacDonald's death and some gossip that circulated well after their screen careers had all but died.

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 29, 2016, 02:06:42 PM
Yep.  That is a great precode with an excellent cast.  If you like precodes, get the Forbidden Hollywood sets available from the Warner Archive.  Loads of fun and Three On A Match is included.  10 volumes in all.  4-5 films per set.

Ann Dvorark. Almost completely unknown now. Unforgettable Ceska

Quote from: TigerLily on June 29, 2016, 02:18:50 PM
The Mountie one? I did sit through that one because of Jimmy. And another where Jeannette was French royalty in Louisiana

Now I know the trick where popular but bad actors are surrounded by strong supporting casts.  Nelson Eddy, Esther Williams, George Raft

Yeah, the Mountie one.  I liked Raft but he was only good in certain roles.  Far too often, he was very wooden.  I haven't seen any Esther Williams films.  Musicals and the light fluff that she was in really don't interest me.  I do have a soft spot for Busby Berkeley though.  I imagine I'll watch a Williams film some day.  I think Basil Rathbone was in one with her so I'll watch that if I come across it.

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 29, 2016, 02:21:48 PM
MacDonald sure had a thing for him though even in real life.  Their affair was tempestuous at times though with heated arguments occasionally especially in the 30's. Eddy proposed marriage to her several times but he wanted her to retire from the screen and raise their family.  She said hell no.  My guess is that the romance continued for the rest of their lives given the close friendship that they maintained until MacDonald's death and some gossip that circulated well after their screen careers had all but died.

Wow. I had no idea. He seems like such a stiff. I could much easily see her with Chevalier or my favorite hunk of man, Gable

Love those stories. Thanks 21

Quote from: TigerLily on June 29, 2016, 02:30:04 PM
Ann Dvorark. Almost completely unknown now. Unforgettable Ceska

I'm in love with Ann Dvorak just don't tell my wife.  I just want to wrap my arms around her and hold her.  I think she is the most underappreciated actress in all of film history.  I absolutely despise Jack Warner for not appreciating her talent.

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 29, 2016, 02:33:08 PM
Yeah, the Mountie one.  I liked Raft but he was only good in certain roles.  Far too often, he was very wooden.  I haven't seen any Esther Williams films.  Musicals and the light fluff that she was in really don't interest me.  I do have a soft spot for Busby Berkeley though.  I imagine I'll watch a Williams film some day.  I think Basil Rathbone was in one with her so I'll watch that if I come across it.

I never sat through one of her movies. But if one happened to be on I might take a moment to watch a pool extravaganza or gaze at her romantic interest. Ricardo Montalban, Fernando Lamas ...

Quote from: TigerLily on June 29, 2016, 02:33:32 PM
Wow. I had no idea. He seems like such a stiff. I could much easily see her with Chevalier or my favorite hunk of man, Gable

Love those stories. Thanks 21

Anytime, TL.  There was a rumor in 1947 that MacDonald was pregnant with Eddy's child and Eddy tried to divorce his wife but failed.  MacDonald was also married at the time.  In the 1960's, MacDonald lived in an apartment and her husband lived in an adjoining apartment. Eddy lived across the street from her.  Strange behavior from all involved.  Yeah, MacDonald and Eddy were tight.

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 29, 2016, 01:36:08 PM
I remember watching the first sound version of Phantom of The Opera with Claude Rains and there was Nelson Eddy.  Probably the only Universal Horror film of the period that was a complete disappointment.  No thrills at all.  Give me Lon Chaney's phantom ...

The silent Phantom was scary and beautiful. Lon Chaney was such a powerful actor. And when she rips the mask off...

Didn't think any remake could come close. Until I saw the film version of the musical. Captured the atmosphere from the silent version beautifully. The music is haunting. So tragic. Pardon me. A girl thing

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 29, 2016, 02:45:31 PM
Anytime, TL.  There was a rumor in 1947 that MacDonald was pregnant with Eddy's child and Eddy tried to divorce his wife but failed.  MacDonald was also married at the time.  In the 1960's, MacDonald lived in an apartment and her husband lived in an adjoining apartment. Eddy lived across the street from her.  Strange behavior from all involved.  Yeah, MacDonald and Eddy were tight.

Tracy and Hepburn. Olivier and Leigh. Garbo and Gilbert. . Bergman and Rossellini.  The movies might have been tamer but the people weren't.

"In like Flynn" was a catchphrase after Erroll's paternity lawsuit. And I read Gable had his share of women who ended up at the abortionist's. Gable was particularly predatory until Lombard tamed him for awhile

Quote from: TigerLily on June 29, 2016, 02:46:55 PM
The silent Phantom was scary and beautiful. Lon Chaney was such a powerful actor. And when she rips the mask off...

Didn't think any remake could come close. Until I saw the film version of the musical. Captured the atmosphere from the silent version beautifully. The music is haunting. So tragic. Pardon me. A girl thing

No apology necessary.  I loved that song, Music of the Night.  I haven't seen that film version though.  I have seen the Hammer version with Herbert Lom and that was pretty good.  I also watched Dario Argento's version of the story which was a lot sexier but not particularly very good.

For me though, there will only be one Phantom and that is Chaney.  A marvelous actor in a marvelous role.  Two versions of the film exist.  The 1929 re-release is the best available print of the film with some sound effects added.  The 1925 original still exists though and it is about 5-10 minutes longer.

TigerLily

A very pleasant chat as always but I must return to the material world for awhile

Quote from: TigerLily on June 29, 2016, 02:57:11 PM
Tracy and Hepburn. Olivier and Leigh. Garbo and Gilbert. . Bergman and Rossellini.  The movies might have been tamer but the people weren't.

"In like Flynn" was a catchphrase after Erroll's paternity lawsuit. And I read Gable had his share of women who ended up at the abortionist's. Gable was particularly predatory until Lombard tamed him for awhile

I just finished reading a bio about Mary Pickford and there was a story in it of a party at Pickfair in the 1940's.  Pickford was showing some friends around the house and caught Flynn trysting with a girl on a windowseat upstairs and she nearly had a heart attack.  LOL.

Gable was tamed by Lombard and he never got over her death.  He did try to drown his sorrows with drink and women but to little avail.  He had a tempestuous marriage with "Lady" Sylvia Ashley Fairbanks, Douglas Sr.'s second wife and widow.  I use Lady very loosely because she was hardly that.  A former chorus girl  and a bit of a gold-digger if you ask me but I think she did love Fairbanks.  I'd like to read a bio about Gable.  He seemed to be a complicated man.  He was an adamant conservative Republican but like you said, a bit of a philanderer as was Gary Cooper and other conservative movie stars.  However, if I was a big-time movie star, I might have succumbed to the same temptations.

Quote from: TigerLily on June 29, 2016, 03:01:22 PM
A very pleasant chat as always but I must return to the material world for awhile

I need to do the same.  Later, TL. :) ;)

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 29, 2016, 02:06:42 PM

Thanks, but I have to pass. I have a small mountain of backlogged movies, music, and books that I need to get through before I take on anything else.  I'll wait until TCM does another pre-code feature.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 29, 2016, 02:33:08 PM
I do have a soft spot for Busby Berkeley though.

His choreography and the sets absolutely blow me away and I wind up sitting slack-jawed and goggle eyed whenever I watch his movies.  It must have been a nightmare trying to wrangle hundreds of chorus girls he needed and getting them all to perform their moves seamlessly. From what I've read, he was a very odd duck with a tendency to get into auto accidents while DUI.