• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

Quote from: 14 on May 18, 2019, 12:31:21 PM
I've always been adverse to Firefox because of its name. 

Because this is an entirely reasonable and absolute not an illogical or arbitrary reason for choosing whether to use a computer program. 

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 18, 2019, 12:32:59 PM
No wonder people don't pull over to help you.

She should be grateful that they don't speed up and try to run her down.  But being grateful for assistance is not on her menu.

albrecht

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 18, 2019, 06:49:20 PM
Because this is an entirely reasonable and absolute not an illogical or arbitrary reason for choosing whether to use a computer program.
The latest update of Firefox though took off a lot of apps though. And interestingly ones that forced https, d/l of youtube vids, do not track, block ads or redirections, free VPN, etc.  Even add-ons from EFF. So? Idk. Fox got in the hen house? Aint nobody here but us chickens! 

Quote from: albrecht on May 18, 2019, 06:54:04 PM
The latest update of Firefox though took off a lot of apps though. And interestingly ones that forced https, d/l of youtube vids, do not track, block ads or redirections, free VPN, etc.  Even add-ons from EFF. So? Idk. Fox got in the hen house? Aint nobody here but us chickens!

Comes a time when you have to decide whether to move forward or remain perpetually backwards-compatable.  There are certain web features which will not function on FF 56 or earlier, as those who chose to remain there can attest. 

albrecht

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 18, 2019, 06:59:31 PM
Comes a time when you have to decide whether to move forward or remain perpetually backwards-compatable.  There are certain web features which will not function on FF 56 or earlier, as those who chose to remain there can attest.

Admittedly a personal problem. Too much reservation and cost/benefit analysis and "if it aint broke don't change it" "dance with the one that brought you" etc on my part.however there also is, sometimes, a person to say "no." Look before leaping or whatever sayings. Speed kills. Fun. But kills.

Jojo

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on May 18, 2019, 03:56:29 PM
Have you tried OpenOffice Portable? Put it on a thumb drive so you can use it on other computers.
To block/disable cookies(They're still on you're computer, but to the websites you visit you're a blank slate) I use a Firefox extension called QuickJava. You can toggle cookies, Javascript, flash, GIF animations,  images on and off with one click rather than digging through menus. Unfortunately it only works on FF version 57 or less
I'll try that because lately Libre just isn't happening, not sure what happened, probably a user error in installing it.  Thanks for the tips, especially QuickJava. 

Jojo

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 18, 2019, 06:51:45 PM
She should be grateful that they don't speed up and try to run her down.  But being grateful for assistance is not on her menu.
Very funny.

SredniVashtar

(
Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 18, 2019, 06:51:45 PM

Especially as she is, by her own admission, built for comfort rather than speed. A passing motorist might mistake her for a pile of old tyres and use her as a crash barrier.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 19, 2019, 04:10:05 AM
Would not bang.

Being waif-like yourself, you're naturally prejudiced against the fuller figured type. Anything over 70 pounds and you must get intimidated. I bet it's like being lost in a bouncy house.

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 19, 2019, 04:20:02 AM
lost in a bouncy house.

...waving a pool noodle (that's nice honey) 

Jojo

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 19, 2019, 03:59:47 AM
(
Especially as she is, by her own admission, built for comfort rather than speed. A passing motorist might mistake her for a pile of old tyres and use her as a crash barrier.
I can be pretty swift when I need to.
The side of the road's nonetheless been a losing game for 10 years.  I think it's more age-related than looks.
20s:  You're cute.
30s:  You don't have kids, do you?
40s:  (Silence while they scrutinize for age after the usual gawking).

AZZERAE

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 19, 2019, 04:20:02 AM
lost in a bouncy house

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 19, 2019, 04:48:43 AM
waving a pool noodle

Hardcore anal fucking’s fine. Tongue kissing is gay.

Yorkshire pud

I approached Avast and was put straight through to the CEO (Yes, they DO know who I am) and after much heart felt contrition on his part and a promise to not let it happen again, I in turn said I wouldn't have Avast shut down and said CEO made to have a day watching Senda vacuum up anything put in front of him.
All it needed was a gentle word from me to get BG lifted off Avast's list of dreadful sites they deem as phishing sites..

You're all welcome.

Praise Liberace.

Jojo

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 21, 2019, 07:45:59 PM
I approached Avast and was put straight through to the CEO (Yes, they DO know who I am) and after much heart felt contrition on his part and a promise to not let it happen again, I in turn said I wouldn't have Avast shut down and said CEO made to have a day watching Senda vacuum up anything put in front of him.
All it needed was a gentle word from me to get BG lifted off Avast's list of dreadful sites they deem as phishing sites..

You're all welcome.

Praise Liberace.
Thank you!!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 21, 2019, 07:45:59 PM

You're all welcome.

Praise Liberace.

WOTR

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 17, 2019, 01:47:42 AM
(Personally, to me, women aren't sexy until they hit 40, but I've  NEVER  been considered normal - and sure as fuck don't want to be - normal people are lame assed, fear-driven, sheep, as far as I'm concerned.)
Perhaps this is the reason we get along?
Quote from: Laurakinch on May 15, 2019, 09:26:59 PM
No conniption came from me but I’m not a typical chick I guess. Not easily offended.
Explains the choice in men...

WOTR

Quote from: 14 on May 15, 2019, 03:28:03 AM
I don't think the man I love would like that.  And furthermore, you are reminding me of how men always used to pull over when I had car trouble in my twenties.  But once I hit 35, they never pull over.  This just proves they were never actually interested in me.  Just my body at the age it was.  I always thought a good citizen was a good citizen was a good citizen.  Never realized they are only good citizens for young chicks.
Ah, the victim mentality. Must be because you are aging that men don't stop anymore. Ignore the other 50 reasons.

The fact is that 20 years ago, many people stopped for a stranded motorist on the highway (and even in the city.) As cell phones became more common place things changed very quickly. I recall commenting on it to my father- there was just a sudden shift where it was expected that you could pick up the phone beside you to call a friend or a tow company, and suddenly nobody stopped.

If you honestly believe that men whizzing by at 60 are able to discern the extra wrinkle under your eyes or the lack of toned skin, you are mistaken.

Another reason that people are less likely to stop now? They are busier than they used to be (not because you are 35.) Fewer and fewer young men drive. Those that do are used to the idea of cell phones mentioned above (and they have been raised to fear hitchhikers and stranded motorists least they end up dead in a ditch.) The generation of men who once stopped for you now have families to get home to, jobs they cannot be late for, and an appointment at the bank that won't wait.

Yes, I read your note about your elderly lady friend. And that is the one place where you are probably correct. There are still people who see an 80 year old cottontop and hit the brakes because they can imagine their mother stranded on the side of the road.

You could consider other explanations, or you could continue to believe that it is the evil men in your city who now blow you off because of your age and continue the victim mentality.

*Like Sandman, I still (occasionally) stop (for men or women- I really don't care.) I always figure if somebody tries to force me somewhere at knife point my car will end up wrapped around the nearest pole dead center of the passenger seat. I guarantee that I'm more aggressive and unstable and that my passenger has more to fear from me than I do from them.

WOTR

Quote from: 14 on May 17, 2019, 01:54:16 AM
DPS, even if I wanted to, I'd have a difficult time repairing my car because a couple of big, round things that prevent me from reaching and seeing the parts. 
I think on Monday I'm going to head down to a shop across the way from me where I know they employ a female apprentice heavy duty mechanic and casually mention that I have to question her career choice as she has a really, REALLY nice set of big round things that block her view. I will ask if she would like some help reaching the parts, and I may ask if she would like a hand holding them out of the way so that she can be more productive (I want to be a groyper.)

I wonder if she is going to think that this BS reason for not doing mechanical work is valid, or if she will think me to be a sexist pig? I wonder what she might say if she knew that the suggestion that she should not go through school for that trade came from a woman?

Juan

Why don’t men stop to help anymore? #MeToo. Aileen Wyornos.

Jojo

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on May 17, 2019, 01:47:42 AM
How can you be so totally fucking naive. Seriously !
(Personally, to me, women aren't sexy until they hit 40, but I've  NEVER  been considered normal - and sure as fuck don't want to be - normal people are lame assed, fear-driven, sheep, as far as I'm concerned.)

Oh, and fear not, (apparently you're living in the wrong area), I've stopped plenty of times to assist people ranging from 20 - 86 years old, stranded, or even just changing a tire along side the road.

So, what you're really saying is that you've let yourself go, and you can't just flash your gams anymore to get some swingin' dick to pull over so you can manipulate them into helping you, with the promise of sex that you'll never deliver on ?

GET FUCKIN' REAL !
If you get them a few years before 40, you'll probably have a better time.

Jojo

Quote from: WOTR on May 24, 2019, 10:07:04 PM
I think on Monday I'm going to head down to a shop across the way from me where I know they employ a female apprentice heavy duty mechanic and casually mention that I have to question her career choice as she has a really, REALLY nice set of big round things that block her view. I will ask if she would like some help reaching the parts, and I may ask if she would like a hand holding them out of the way so that she can be more productive (I want to be a groyper.)

I wonder if she is going to think that this BS reason for not doing mechanical work is valid, or if she will think me to be a sexist pig? I wonder what she might say if she knew that the suggestion that she should not go through school for that trade came from a woman?
I imagine she is not short, and has arms that are proportionate with her breasts.  For me, it's a shoulder strain to reach the center of the keyboard.  Did you know you have a real mean streak?  I've done plenty of work like, such as hammering my selenoid three times a day for over a year, mowing an acre of wetland for 4 years, fixing things.  But I also have the back problems and arthritis to prove it.  Some women have to strain and injure themselves to do things that other women can do.  If I were 5'6" with reasonably long arms, I'd be able to do more.  One of the best things about aging breasts is that now actually sometimes I can see and reach better, better in some ways now, worse in others.

Jojo

Quote from: WOTR on May 24, 2019, 09:43:55 PM
Ah, the victim mentality. Must be because you are aging that men don't stop anymore. Ignore the other 50 reasons.

The fact is that 20 years ago, many people stopped for a stranded motorist on the highway (and even in the city.) As cell phones became more common place things changed very quickly. I recall commenting on it to my father- there was just a sudden shift where it was expected that you could pick up the phone beside you to call a friend or a tow company, and suddenly nobody stopped.

If you honestly believe that men whizzing by at 60 are able to discern the extra wrinkle under your eyes or the lack of toned skin, you are mistaken.

Another reason that people are less likely to stop now? They are busier than they used to be (not because you are 35.) Fewer and fewer young men drive. Those that do are used to the idea of cell phones mentioned above (and they have been raised to fear hitchhikers and stranded motorists least they end up dead in a ditch.) The generation of men who once stopped for you now have families to get home to, jobs they cannot be late for, and an appointment at the bank that won't wait.

Yes, I read your note about your elderly lady friend. And that is the one place where you are probably correct. There are still people who see an 80 year old cottontop and hit the brakes because they can imagine their mother stranded on the side of the road.

You could consider other explanations, or you could continue to believe that it is the evil men in your city who now blow you off because of your age and continue the victim mentality.

*Like Sandman, I still (occasionally) stop (for men or women- I really don't care.) I always figure if somebody tries to force me somewhere at knife point my car will end up wrapped around the nearest pole dead center of the passenger seat. I guarantee that I'm more aggressive and unstable and that my passenger has more to fear from me than I do from them.
I wasn't talking about on the freeway.  People can see my age at 25mph.

One time some people I gave a ride to would not get out of my car after  long day, when they were getting rude and I asked them to get out.  I had to make the police do it.  You never know.

Jojo

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 18, 2019, 06:49:20 PM
About as reasonable as people raising Cain over Proctor and Gamble's imagery back in the day.

Jojo

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on May 18, 2019, 03:20:26 AM
Sometimes the personal information being fed back to google about you experiences a stack overflow.  Use a browser that does not spy on you, like firefox.
Without adding any new programs, is there a way to clear my stacks?  I cleared space in C Drive.  I've used FF for several weeks now.  But videos spin out halfway through.

Quote from: 14 on May 26, 2019, 12:36:16 AM
Without adding any new programs, is there a way to clear my stacks?  I cleared space in C Drive.  I've used FF for several weeks now.  But videos spin out halfway through.

I don't know much about Google Chrome other than it is spyware and therefore something i would not use to begin with. 

You don't provide enough information about your problem with videos on Firefox to solve it, or even lead to a starting point in diagnosing it.

WOTR

Quote from: 14 on May 26, 2019, 12:27:20 AM
Did you know you have a real mean streak? 

I'm on Bellgab... Yes, I'm aware.

Quote from: 14 on May 26, 2019, 12:27:20 AM
I imagine she is not short, and has arms that are proportionate with her breasts.  For me, it's a shoulder strain to reach the center of the keyboard.  Did you know you have a real mean streak?  I've done plenty of work like, such as hammering my selenoid three times a day for over a year, mowing an acre of wetland for 4 years, fixing things.  But I also have the back problems and arthritis to prove it.  Some women have to strain and injure themselves to do things that other women can do.  If I were 5'6" with reasonably long arms, I'd be able to do more.  One of the best things about aging breasts is that now actually sometimes I can see and reach better, better in some ways now, worse in others.
You could just say that you have no interest in mechanical work- you don't want to get greasy, you are not mechanically inclined- and I would both believe you and accept the reason. I'm still not buying your line of reasoning.

My aunts father is nearing 90. We make fun of him (and he knows it) because for the last two decades he has not been able to lift his (already VERY short arms) over his shoulder due to injury. He has, what we all refer to as "T-rex arms." And it's damn funny to watch.

You may be wondering what the point is? He has been a farmer his whole life and is around 90. He still maintains his tractor (but no longer his car- that is finally left to the shop.) This is a man who is under 5 feet and skinny. Boxed when he was younger, took up rugby when he was 45. He wrecked his body something awful, but will still replace the clutch on his tractor (at 90. With arms that don't go above should level. With arthritis in his back and hips.)

I'm sorry if I don't buy that the reason you don't fix your car is your build. I'm sorry that I was just wanting to hear that the real reason is you have no interest in it. My mother has no interest. I replace the starter in her van, fix the suspension in her car, replace the brakes and change out whatever else is necessary. She has no interest in doing the work- I have no interest in telling her that she should. But she has never told me that she does not want to replace her alternator (a simple fix) because she has breasts...

I'm done for now. You can come back and tell me that I just don't understand. That you would have been a grease monkey but for the fact that you have short arms and a chest. I won't believe you, but I will stop (for now) saying so.

WOTR

Quote from: 14 on May 26, 2019, 12:30:14 AM
I wasn't talking about on the freeway.  People can see my age at 25mph.

Still no acknowledgement for the other reasons that people don't stop? If it is 25mph, it is in the city. People don't stop in the city (and most don't on the highway anymore, either.) It is not the wrinkle on your face- it's that our culture has changed.

Oh, and one more reason that is not age related... There was a time when a man with basic mechanical knowledge would stop and have a pretty good chance at feeling important- maybe even be able to fix the car. "Hey there, little lady. It looks like the engine is starving for fuel. It could be your carb- but I think your in line filter may just be clogged. I'll just grab my trusty wrench set and pull that out for you. Now you be sure to get to the garage and get a new one installed as soon as you can." If it could not be fixed, many of us had a tow rope and would pull you to the nearest station. No longer is that an option (I can't imagine the fine. And the last person I pulled did not realize they had to hit the brakes to keep the rope taught. Actually hit my back bumper lightly and I used my car to stop theirs for the light before getting out to explain how to be pulled.)

Those days are gone. Who wants to pull up to a car and come off as an impotent fool? Now the only question to be asked is "would you like to borrow my cell phone to call for a tow truck?" Why should we stop (albeit, I still do, occasionally.) But most men don't have a wrench set, most don't carry a computer to diagnose if it is your cam shaft position sensor, knock sensor, or spark controller that has failed. Most are not going to feel that they have been of any help (and yes, I would suggest that feeling important was a big factor of why men stopped.) Maybe we can fix it. Maybe we can tow you to a station. If not, we will at least save you the walk to a pay phone. That was the 90's or early 2000's. Now we can just say "are you O.K? Have you already called a wrecker? before driving off like fools.

But again, blame it on the wrinkle under your eye. Blame it on men in general. (And I won't argue that an 18 year old waitress dressed in a short skirt and thigh high black boots with a low cut top will still have somebody stop. But it is not just age related- and if you don't fit the above description, you are out of luck.)

I suppose my next question is: aside from feeling attractive, why do you want somebody to stop? Do you have your own phone? Do you think that they can help you? Are you going to require a tow truck anyhow? Would you really rather get in a car with a strange man and have them drive you home and know where you reside than jump in the passenger seat of the wrecker when it shows up to pull your car away?