• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

HAL 9000

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that when Obama gets in front of a black audience (think recent speech to black caucus) or a raucous liberal crowd, that he loses his ethnically-neutral mid-western accent, and suddenly reverts back to his thicker "Hawaiian" accent?

;) :D ;D :o

The General

Quote from: Flaxen Hegemony on October 01, 2011, 08:25:41 PM
Cain vs Obama straight up, Obama cruises.  And I'm a conservative. :)
Maybe we'll get to find out.  I doubt it though.  The dumbass repubs are going to run Perry or Romney.  More of the same. 

I thought the same thing when I first learned of Obama... I HOPED the dems would run him  because he didn't have a chance in my mind.  Boy was I wrong.  I didn't account for the political advertising campaign machine behind him that would out-sell Coca Cola.  God, people are dumb.  Elect someone with no experience?  Sure!  He's "refreshing!"

Not to mention the fact that the repubs ran McCain last time.  Did they even want to win?  I guess not.

Now I'd like to weigh in right here if I could..
Carving jack-o'lanterns is cool 8)

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on October 01, 2011, 10:08:57 PM
Now I'd like to weigh in right here if I could..
Carving jack-o'lanterns is cool 8)

Yes, and you can bake the seeds and eat them.   ;)

Quote from: Treading Water on October 01, 2011, 10:46:21 PM
Yes, and you can bake the seeds and eat them.   ;)

An essential tradition of Fall, as far as I'm concerned, right up there with cider mills, carving pumpkins, and throwing fallen apples at unsuspecti-- oh, wait, that last one is a flashback from childhood.

I told my little niece that I envy the fact she can jump into a pile of leaves at this time of year, whereas if I did it at my tender age of 41, I would look silly.  Maybe I could get away with saying that I was testing to make sure the ground was still there.

b_dubb

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 01, 2011, 07:44:10 PM
He really is the second coming for some. Wow.
no I'm just sick of the Blame Obama bullshit

Frys Girl

Quote from: b_dubb on October 02, 2011, 10:29:07 AM
no I'm just sick of the Blame Obama bullshit
Me too. The solution is for him to be out of office. That way, he can go to Martha's Vineyard and read the New York Times non-fiction best seller list, go biking with Michelle in the mornings, and discuss boarding schools in rural China and maybe even pop into NPR "Fresh Air" in the afternoon. All the hipsters will download the podcast and listen to it while they take public transit.

EastCoastLady

Quote from: The General on October 01, 2011, 09:20:01 PM
God, people are dumb.  Elect someone with no experience?  Sure!  He's "refreshing!"

Not to mention the fact that the repubs ran McCain last time.  Did they even want to win?  I guess not.

Another prime example of how little experience hasn't worked too well for us in the political arena: tea party candidates seated in congress today. 

I agree that republicans did not want to win the last presidential election - for various reasons.

I of the mindset that none of us achieved any real success on our own, federal gov't isn't necessarily all bad.  Could it be curtailed & more efficient? Absolutely.  Just my opinion & like assholes, we all have one.

The General

Quote from: EastCoastLady on October 02, 2011, 10:59:37 AM
Another prime example of how little experience hasn't worked too well for us in the political arena: tea party candidates seated in congress today. 

I agree that republicans did not want to win the last presidential election - for various reasons.

I of the mindset that none of us achieved any real success on our own, federal gov't isn't necessarily all bad.  Could it be curtailed & more efficient? Absolutely.  Just my opinion & like assholes, we all have one.

Not sure what you are saying here.  But I feel like I could be a lot more successful if the Fed Gov't would let me.  Red tape, taxes, restrictions, and all the hoops make running a business a real chore.  The Gov't could be a lot more pro business and still protect people without having this rat maze of codes and laws.  This is most of why we are losing jobs to overseas markets, big companies will go to where it is easier to run a business, and this will continue until we have no country left.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 02, 2011, 12:40:19 PM
We need a government shut down.

The last major one lead to...Clinton's re-election in '96.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 02, 2011, 01:05:12 PM
    The last major one lead to...Clinton's re-election in '96.
There were other factors that should be taken into consideration.

I think the best GOP candidate besides Paul will be Gingrich.

EastCoastLady

Quote from: The General on October 02, 2011, 12:34:25 PM
Not sure what you are saying here.  But I feel like I could be a lot more successful if the Fed Gov't would let me.  Red tape, taxes, restrictions, and all the hoops make running a business a real chore.  The Gov't could be a lot more pro business and still protect people without having this rat maze of codes and laws.  This is most of why we are losing jobs to overseas markets, big companies will go to where it is easier to run a business, and this will continue until we have no country left.

I think gov't should be more pro SMALL business & less pro BIG business.  Stop big corporate subsidies & sign a pledge they'll reform campaign finance laws.  Spend their time actually working for us instead of to get donations for their re-election. And cut the crap that corporations are people too.  But I'm pipe dreaming.

IMHO big corps have a stake in small business failing. They also have the means (hand over fist) to employ full time accountants, lawyers & lobbyists who are paid not only to navigate the maze but also advise in the form of legal & professional opinions to revise tax code & regulations.  Their lobbyists bring those opinions to congress & lobby for the changes.

What constitutes profits may be more nuanced than hard numbers. I have to wonder if big corps aren't banking on the fact that small businesses will pose little threat because they'll be bogged down paying for accountants & lawyers to navigate the maze.  The only major deregulation i can think of over the past 12 years is investment banking & oil & gas.  We don't see many small business threats to commercial banks and/or oil & gas industry corporations.  I just have to wonder.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 02, 2011, 01:15:11 PM

Just a feeling....Rubio in 2016.

onan

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 02, 2011, 12:40:19 PM
We need a government shut down.
Fuck yeah... anarchy... lets go with that... fucking brilliant.

Avi

Ra!Ra!Ra! Anarchy! Freedom from hygiene, at least if you judge by the kids on campus with those silly t-shirts. Bakunin and Rand fistfight in heaven, right next to Tonto and the Lone Ranger! "Trotsky's teeth, Trotsky's teeth: are they false, are they real, are they plastic, are they steel?"

Frys Girl

Quote from: onan on October 03, 2011, 02:08:25 AM
Fuck yeah... anarchy... lets go with that... fucking brilliant.
Not really. I hope the government shuts down for a month. It will be awesome to see how many businesses open up. Finally relief.

Eddie Coyle

I'm so old that I remember when...

Music Television had...MUSIC
        Headline News had...HEADLINE NEWS
        The Weather Channel had...WEATHER.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 03, 2011, 05:28:11 PM
Not really. I hope the government shuts down for a month. It will be awesome to see how many businesses open up. Finally relief.

Of course, those businesses won't be patronized by citizens on Social Security etc...

b_dubb

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 02, 2011, 01:15:11 PM

thanks for self disclosing the fact that you are clinically insane

Frys Girl

Quote from: b_dubb on October 04, 2011, 08:24:36 PM

Just happy to admit which candidate is willing to put Obama in his place without being afraid of offending the orange, Mexican rabbit society. Newt Gingrich is a seasoned politician. He's an asshole who knows how to get things done. The only better match-up would be Newt and Billary.

M Knight

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 05, 2011, 01:54:03 AM
Just happy to admit which candidate is willing to put Obama in his place without being afraid of offending the orange, Mexican rabbit society. Newt Gingrich is a seasoned politician. He's an asshole who knows how to get things done. The only better match-up would be Newt and Billary.

Reagan was popular for two primary reasons:  communication ability, and his generally consistent application of a conservative philosophy and theme to every issue.  The latter being a sign of higher level intelligence.  In contrast, GB was all over the map with no guiding philosophy.  Obama stays fairly consistent with a 1960s polemic anti-establishment paradigm that is stuffing delusional helpings of salt into an economic wound that is already too deep and wide to heal. 

We need a voice, not another Reagan which would be impossible, but a voice that communicates, and who espouses an intelligent, consistent message and policy that reflects what has made the US was it is, an oasis of capitalism with the highest living standards ever on Earth.

The General

Quote from: M Knight on October 05, 2011, 06:18:49 AM

We need a voice, not another Reagan which would be impossible, but a voice that communicates, and who espouses an intelligent, consistent message and policy that reflects what has made the US was it is, an oasis of capitalism with the highest living standards ever on Earth.
Which candidate do you see as capable of filling that void?

M Knight

Quote from: The General on October 05, 2011, 09:41:39 AM
Which candidate do you see as capable of filling that void?

The one who won't run.

rolindos

Quote from: M Knight on October 05, 2011, 11:23:55 AM

The one who won't run.

To see him run, he'd need to shed about 200 pounds, otherwise he'd just waddle to victory. 

M Knight

Quote from: xenocon on October 05, 2011, 12:46:46 PM
To see him run, he'd need to shed about 200 pounds, otherwise he'd just waddle to victory.

I'll take waddling over slithering any day.

rolindos

Quote from: M Knight on October 05, 2011, 12:48:06 PM

I'll take waddling over slithering any day.
depends on whether you'd rather get stomped by an elephant or bitten by a snake  ;)

Quote from: M Knight on October 05, 2011, 06:18:49 AM

Reagan was popular for two primary reasons:  communication ability, and his generally consistent application of a conservative philosophy and theme to every issue.  The latter being a sign of higher level intelligence.  In contrast, GB was all over the map with no guiding philosophy.  Obama stays fairly consistent with a 1960s polemic anti-establishment paradigm that is stuffing delusional helpings of salt into an economic wound that is already too deep and wide to heal. 

I think to the average voter, personality and communication style is 80% of why they vote for a candidate, and issues are 20%.  The two major parties in the US are more similar than they are different, despite people wasting precious seconds of their lives arguing on the internet about why the other side is evil incarnate. 

The Congress, courts, and corporate donors hold sway over many of the important issues, and for the rare times that it does come down to a gut call in a crisis made by the person sitting in the big chair, there's something to be said for having someone thoughtful and unemotional, regardless of their party.  My top two choices?  Bill Clinton and Dick Cheney.  Polarizing figures that probably just caused all of Coastgab to hate me :) , but also easily the most savvy and knowledgeable politicians in their respective camps. 

Regardless of their politics, I'd want both of them on my side when the shit hit the fan.

Quote from: b_dubb on October 04, 2011, 08:24:36 PM

Gingrich is actually an articulate and smart fellow.  I'm not sure he'd be a great president, but the notion is hardly insane.  Gingrich was one of the few commentators on the right who would often step back and analyze things like an observer, sometimes praising Democrats or liberals if they were using an effective strategy.  Granted, this may have changed now that he's a candidate.