• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Opie & Anthony

Started by bateman, July 03, 2014, 11:57:26 AM

MV/Liberace!

I wish the guy who runs afroandfriends.me could figure out how to make an rss feed work. Jesus.

Foodlion

Quote from: MV on July 12, 2014, 01:50:44 PM
Did anyone hear Phil Hendrie's July 4th take on Anthony's firing? Man. It was Just an uninformed pile of suck. I wish he had just kept his mouth closed. Every time Phil has the opportunity to make me lose more respect for him, he takes it.

Phil needs to lay off the new drugs, and get back on the old ones. He'll never be as good as he was before he left the first time, but at least he can make himself some what decent to listen to.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Foodlion on July 14, 2014, 09:33:42 AM
Phil needs to lay off the new drugs, and get back on the old ones. He'll never be as good as he was before he left the first time, but at least he can make himself some what decent to listen to.

he now comes across as someone i would totally hate if i were to meet him or get to know him on any personal level.  i didn't have that impression of him years ago.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: bateman on July 14, 2014, 04:33:46 PM
Today's show:

http://youtu.be/lT7l-LVV_9k

yeah, i saw that, but the audio isn't off of the board.  it's just room sound, so it sounds like ass and you can't hear the callers.  waiting on afroandfriends to post today's show which curiously still hasn't been posted.  you'd think on a day like today, with perhaps one of their most anticipated broadcasts ever, the show would be up seconds after air... but nope.  i can hear today's ron and fez, though.   ::) 

i get that the guy is posting these shows as a favor to the world, but i think if you're going to do something, do a good job of it or let someone else fill the void.

bateman

Quote from: MV on July 14, 2014, 04:47:02 PM
yeah, i saw that, but the audio isn't off of the board.  it's just room sound, so it sounds like ass and you can't hear the callers.  waiting on afroandfriends to post today's show which curiously still hasn't been posted.  you'd think on a day like today, with perhaps one of their most anticipated broadcasts ever, the show would be up seconds after air... but nope.  i can hear today's ron and fez, though.   ::) 

i get that the guy is posting these shows as a favor to the world, but i think if you're going to do something, do a good job of it or let someone else fill the void.

I have a feeling SXM won't allow board feed due to it being "exclusive broadcast content" blah, blah, blah. This is just Opie's version of Paltalk.

Foodlion

heard todays show lol. Those guys talked with fear when the NC contract was brought up. When ever their contract ends and the leave, I don't see XM staying in the green zone. XM's days are numbered. Next year I bet they declare Chapter 13 and liquidate.

Bart Ell

Quote from: Foodlion on July 14, 2014, 07:43:34 PM
When ever their contract ends and the leave, I don't see XM staying in the green zone. XM's days are numbered. Next year I bet they declare Chapter 13 and liquidate.

Yeah, not gonna happen. These guys bring in 6-8% of what Howard does and the numbers for Howard are not fantastic.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: MV on July 14, 2014, 04:47:02 PM

correction:  he did post the show, but changed it to another category on a different RSS feed. 

and i'm a dummy for not expecting/knowing that.

Here is a clip linked by mediate: link
He said that for years, he knew that eventually something would happen to them that would blow things up, and when he read Cumia’s controversial tweets, his immediate reaction was “Oh my God, we’re fired.” Norton pointed out that the tweets may have been harsh, but “he did not do anything fucking violent” like punch the woman he angrily tweeted about.
http://www.mediaite.com/online/opie-addresses-anthony-cumia-firing-were-in-a-shtty-position/#ooid=huNW93bjroLxsHYXXDXaJ84MhYx8XOv1

And another one here, Adam Carolla talking about it:
During an episode of his podcast, Carolla did not go so far as to defend what Cumia said, but did say he “feels bad” for the host given the circumstances.

By working for SiriusXM instead of creating his own podcast like he did, Carolla said Cumia found himself in a situation where he could be fired at any moment for saying the very things that many of his listeners likely want to hear.

On that page, there is a link to a clip from Carolla's podcast where Carolla says that if Anthony had been pulling in bigger numbers he wouldn't have been fired. (about 10:15 in, regarding if Anthony did this on purpose).
Another thing about Sirius: They went out to become the alternative-they broke off from the man to become the alternative and then they become the man.

Tarbaby

My frustration throughout this whole thing is, I understood the bitch… I mean, the lovely young lass, punched Anthony in the face. So what I want to know aside from all this site issue about Anthony's firing is was she arrested for assault?

Quote from: Tarbaby on July 17, 2014, 10:54:49 AM
My frustration throughout this whole thing is, I understood the bitch… I mean, the lovely young lass, punched Anthony in the face. So what I want to know aside from all this site issue about Anthony's firing is was she arrested for assault?
Probably not worth it. Some young lawyer, looking to make a name for him/herself would pick up the case and then try to prove in court that what she did was a defense from something or other, and then they would maybe say subpoena every photo Anthony took, take these photos, and then try to prove the guy was a sexual predator.

Tarbaby

Hmmm.And once again justice is thwarted by spurious issues. And then they wonder why the war against racism is two steps forward and one step back.

Quote from: Tarbaby on July 17, 2014, 11:34:49 AM
Hmmm.And once again justice is thwarted by spurious issues. And then they wonder why the war against racism is two steps forward and one step back.
Yeah, some lawyer would just find a way to make it not worth the time and effort. That's pretty much what they do-take you to a point where you say "its just not worth it".

Eddie Coyle

New shitstorm on Twitter between the former partners. Uh, I guess a reunion is even more unlikely now.

bateman

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 06, 2015, 09:32:31 PM
    New shitstorm on Twitter between the former partners. Uh, I guess a reunion is even more unlikely now.

It's over. So over. Op is now calling Anthony "human garbage" after a 2-hour beating.

http://youtu.be/JzQUNVh_VUM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: bateman on April 06, 2015, 10:03:25 PM
It's over. So over. Op is now calling Anthony "human garbage" after a 2-hour beating.

http://youtu.be/JzQUNVh_VUM

I'm 37 minutes into Ant's show today. It's an autopsy of 1994-2014. Got the feeling he's been waiting to do this for quite some time. Before last July.

bateman

And now Opie is crying on the air. I shit you not.

bateman

http://youtu.be/kabwcDzbBD4

I've listened to O&A since 2001. This may be the most uncomfortable thing I have ever heard out of either of them.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: bateman on April 07, 2015, 10:36:45 AM
http://youtu.be/kabwcDzbBD4

I've listened to O&A since 2001. This may be the most uncomfortable thing I have ever heard out of either of them.

I've been listening to them since they arrived at WAAF in March, 1995. This is the ultimate cringe radio. Confirming those long held suspicions of those two having no off air relationship for at least a decade. Opie's "we don't like each other" and "I don't like you" are a nice synopsis.

bateman

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on April 07, 2015, 11:21:41 AM
    I've been listening to them since they arrived at WAAF in March, 1995. This is the ultimate cringe radio. Confirming those long held suspicions of those two having no off air relationship for at least a decade. Opie's "we don't like each other" and "I don't like you" are a nice synopsis.

When I started listening on WNEW there was never any indication to me that they didn't get along. After they came back to Sirius, I listened intermittently. The show had slowed down, it definitely didn't have that fast-paced party atmosphere the afternoon drive show had (they had a Jaeger machine in the studio for fuck's sake) and I just figured it was the time shift that changed the feel of the show. When they went to K-Rock, I listened pretty much every day partly because I worked there. Ant seemed completely disengaged. That was the first inkling that something was amiss on a personal level. I'd read the Rick Delgado interview in Chauncey Hayden's stupid magazine where he claimed O&A hated each other, but I didn't really take it seriously coming from a bitter ex-producer. Then came the on-air blowups between the two of them, and you could just hear the disdain in Ant's voice. It became pretty clear at that point that the speculation had been true all along. I just never knew it went back as far as 1999. I get why they stayed together - they were making millions, but to sit across from someone you intensely dislike every single day has to be extremely uncomfortable.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: bateman on April 07, 2015, 04:42:18 PM
When I started listening on WNEW there was never any indication to me that they didn't get along. After they came back to Sirius, I listened intermittently. The show had slowed down, it definitely didn't have that fast-paced party atmosphere the afternoon drive show had (they had a Jaeger machine in the studio for fuck's sake) and I just figured it was the time shift that changed the feel of the show. When they went to K-Rock, I listened pretty much every day partly because I worked there. Ant seemed completely disengaged. That was the first inkling that something was amiss on a personal level. I'd read the Rick Delgado interview in Chauncey Hayden's stupid magazine where he claimed O&A hated each other, but I didn't really take it seriously coming from a bitter ex-producer. Then came the on-air blowups between the two of them, and you could just hear the disdain in Ant's voice. It became pretty clear at that point that the speculation had been true all along. I just never knew it went back as far as 1999. I get why they stayed together - they were making millions, but to sit across from someone you intensely dislike every single day has to be extremely uncomfortable.

Anthony started acting like a lottery winner some time ago, and I think you're completely right about it beginning at K-Rock. It was still a good listen, but I remember thinking that Anthony's Stern impressions were almost a way of provoking Karmazin into firing them. I'm glad Anthony finally admitted just how lazy he got during his time away after the Sex For Sam shitcanning. But it started before then.

Those early days at WAAF, they were making no money and on a shitty station in Worcester, MA, but they really made a dent in the legacy station WBCN, so much that WBCN fired their longtime afternoon host(1980-97, Mark "Pedo" Parenteau) and changed formats to compete with WAAF. Something unthinkable before O&A arrived. And their show was great and it "seems" like they were really friends. But Anthony's divorce apparently changed their social interaction for the worse.

ONeill

It's so horrible to hear this. I absolutely loved the show they were doing together. Out of the two I think I prefer Opie's show now, it's certainly less comedic than in the days of O&A but I find it better than Anthony's total non stop decadence. Anyway neither of them is good enough to devote so much time each week to follow so I haven't really listened in months.

Still I hoped they would preserve the brand and maybe one day go back together. Now it looks like it's truly over. The worst part of it is Anthony's proposal to go on air together and sling shit at each other. Frankly speaking this was one of the reasons I loved the O&A show so much, when Opie would say "Get him/her/them on the air" and they would actually do it when they had something to say to someone. It was Opie and Anthony, I just don't want to hear Opie vs Anthony on air. There is enough of their stuff on youtube to get me through the rest of my life probably and it would really spoil all of it for me.

So who's getting custody over Little Jimmy?

Can someone recap why they are upset at each other?

ONeill

Quote from: nooryisawesome on April 08, 2015, 04:37:17 AM
Can someone recap why they are upset at each other?

I think that's the best recap you'll get:
https://www.reddit.com/r/opieandanthony/comments/31cylj/a_detailed_rundown_of_opie_anthonys_crybaby_drama/

Anthony is really annoying with this "They're still playing my stuff" drama, because that's probably what got the situation to the boiling point. All of their content is owned by some companies with the last >10 years by SiriusXM. Now he can't use any of this obviously but for some reason he thinks that no one else should including Opie. It's like he was actually fired because he was punched in the face by some whore in the middle of the night and he is completely free of any wrongdoing.

Quote from: ONeill on April 08, 2015, 04:49:03 AM
I think that's the best recap you'll get:
https://www.reddit.com/r/opieandanthony/comments/31cylj/a_detailed_rundown_of_opie_anthonys_crybaby_drama/

Anthony is really annoying with this "They're still playing my stuff" drama, because that's probably what got the situation to the boiling point. All of their content is owned by some companies with the last >10 years by SiriusXM. Now he can't use any of this obviously but for some reason he thinks that no one else should including Opie. It's like he was actually fired because he was punched in the face by some whore in the middle of the night and he is completely free of any wrongdoing.
Thank you.
Very informative and I do not have to wade through unassociated Youtube videos or pages of comments.