• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

credit/blame for quality of interview shows, producer vs. m.c.

Started by Robert, December 27, 2017, 08:48:55 PM

How much credit or blame?

producer 20% or less, m.c. 80% or more
3 (27.3%)
producer 20-40%, m.c. 60-80%
1 (9.1%)
producer & m.c. each 40-60%
4 (36.4%)
producer 20-40%, m.c. 60-80%
1 (9.1%)
producer 80% or more, m.c. 20% or less
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Robert

MV says we should be able to poll in our own threads, but I can't find a button or command for doing so, so I'll assume it'll come up after I start the thread.

I'd like to know how you apportion responsibility for the quality of an interview show, with or w/o phoners-in, between producer and m.c. (the house on-mic "talent").  I'll put up brackets for percentage of responsibility when I find that "poll" button.

Epaphroditus

100 percent the host , I discovered Phil Hendrie as Margaret Grey  one night while driving home and have judged all others against his immense yet mostly unknown talent . Currently , he is the only host I pay for even thou he does less and less shows because of his other voice work / health issues .

Juan

For being good - 95% the producer.
For being awful - 100% the host.

I, of course, was a producer.

Robert

Quote from: Juan on December 28, 2017, 04:54:57 AMFor being good - 95% the producer.
For being awful - 100% the host.

I, of course, was a producer.
Interesting.  So there's much the producer can do to improve the show, much the host can do to wreck it.  Or only in your situation?

Juan

In my case, I wrote every word the host was supposed to say. When he or she ventured off script error ensued. With interview shows, I wrote most questions. Again, when freelancing happened, hilarity frequently broke out. And occasionally libel.

paladin1991

I blame a producer 100 percent.  They produce the show.  The on air talent?  Lets face it.  Most of the on air talent is weak in true talent.

Swishypants

Quote from: paladin1991 on December 28, 2017, 01:07:06 PM
I blame a producer 100 percent.  They produce the show.  The on air talent?  Lets face it.  Most of the on air talent is weak in true talent.

YOU, have a purdy mouf!

Quote from: Juan on December 28, 2017, 10:48:52 AM
In my case, I wrote every word the host was supposed to say. When he or she ventured off script error ensued. With interview shows, I wrote most questions. Again, when freelancing happened, hilarity frequently broke out. And occasionally libel.

It's still up to the host to hire the right producer, follow their direction if need be, and not be boring. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jojo on December 29, 2017, 06:21:37 AM
You are being so weird.

No he's not. This is how he always is. A total asshole and a Democrat mole.  ;)

Jojo

Quote from: Robert on December 27, 2017, 08:48:55 PM
MV says we should be able to poll in our own threads, but I can't find a button or command for doing so, so I'll assume it'll come up after I start the thread.

I'd like to know how you apportion responsibility for the quality of an interview show, with or w/o phoners-in, between producer and m.c. (the house on-mic "talent").  I'll put up brackets for percentage of responsibility when I find that "poll" button.
I like your poll.  On the radio, I'm not really sure.  But on Beyond Belief and at events, isn't it the producers job to make sure collars are turned right, snapshots aren't of closed eyes, etc... 

Robert

If you have experience in the biz, that'd give you some idea.  However, for most of us, what evidence can we find?  I'd say the best would be if we followed the emcee from producer to producer or the producer from emcee to emcee, and had a basis for comparison with 1 constant.

My assumption is that, among other things, the producer for most shows is also the booker, who decides who should be interviewed & then arranges to get those people.  Am I right?  That's why I've said for years that Steve Mahlzberg was a lousy interviewer but his producer was a genius.

cweb

The talent is the star, the producer is the foundation.

The talent elevates the show beyond average. The producer keeps it consistently good.

Bill Bellichick failed with the Cleveland Browns, if you get my drift