• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: HorrorRetro on September 05, 2013, 11:31:53 AM
;D  That old Denny's commercial, what, nine years ago now, was my first inkling that something was seriously wrong with Noory.  "Denny's now has seven new breakfusses on the menu."  ::)

Thanks Horror!  I was hoping someone would remember the reference.   ;D   It was definitely a milestone for me as well.  I was laughing so hard, going what is this guy like five years old?  Breakfusses?  Bwaaah, haaa haaaaa.

sleeplessinca

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on September 05, 2013, 11:08:54 AM
Great post, I am with you.

George and Tommy think the show is about looking at the bearded lady or some guy guessing your weight.

Art realizes the show is about exploring things we don't know; the question "how did that guy guess my weight?" is what makes the show interesting.
Nicely put, Monk.

NoMoreNoory

Quote from: Roy Hinkley on September 05, 2013, 11:16:34 AM
We'll also want to monitor the sales of that Dave Noorie Late Night Snack Recipe Book.  I'll bet it will sell like hotcakes, which incidentally won't be in there.  It will be in his follow-up Cookbook, "1001 Breakfusses with Dave and Tommie."

I beeleaf Tommy is working on his first solo opus. A Field Guide To The Hospitals Of Los Angeles.

zeebo

Quote from: Roy Hinkley on September 05, 2013, 11:37:52 AM
Thanks Horror!  I was hoping someone would remember the reference.   ;D   It was definitely a milestone for me as well.  I was laughing so hard, going what is this guy like five years old?  Breakfusses?  Bwaaah, haaa haaaaa.

You just know when he goes there he asks for the crayons, and draws little pictures of ufos and bigfoots on his placemat.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 05, 2013, 03:57:05 AM

When Art was interviewing these people, we hadn't had the past 10 years of terrible shows with them and George on together.  So the thought of hearing them again wasn't nearly as distasteful. 

Now, those experiences are part of what we think about when we think of someone like Hoagland.  I'm willing to hear one more show, or, more likely, part of one more show with each of them where Art catches up and maybe reminisces a little.  I won't be listening to these awful guests after that.

I'm not sure how much Art understands this - how much he's listened to George's show over the years (if at all) or read the detailed posts about why George and these guests suck.  He's sure to get plenty of email pro and con on each of them, which may cause him to think they are 'controversial' and worthy of additional airtime.

If - big IF - Art just picks up where he left off and has a show mostly revolving around these shit guests, will people be posting that Art sucks?  No.  It took 5 or 6 years of dumb and lazy suckage before George got that treatment.  People will complain about the choice of guests a little, feel sad, and ultimately just stop listening. 

My guess is it won't come to that.

It won't be here, but you'll have an Art Bell sucks thread on one of the other sites within a week of his return. There used to be tons of those when Art was big. Those people are still around. I would imagine that a few of them are here with us now.  Not everyone's MO is so simple as hating on Noory, they'll hate on whomever is on the radio.

onan

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 05, 2013, 03:23:37 PM
It won't be here, but you'll have an Art Bell sucks thread on one of the other sites within a week of his return. There used to be tons of those when Art was big. Those people are still around. I would imagine that a few of them are here with us now.  Not everyone's MO is so simple as hating on Noory, they'll hate on whomever is on the radio.

Then it really isn't a comparison. Granted, I remember some rather terse criticisms of Art but mostly due to politics. But the disdain for noory, no matter how you dress it up, comes down to his lack of ability. I doubt you will see pages of complaints about Art regarding mixed metaphors, malapropisms, or mispronunciations. I also doubt the complaints will be in reference to poor interviewing skills.

And let's not forget there are no supportive forums for noory. If that isn't the most telling point about noory...

starrmtn001

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on September 05, 2013, 10:10:43 AM
The issue of Art's guests is an interesting one, and it's good that he seems to be casting his net wide in search of new people as well as likely bringing on familiar names. The challenge of filling so much live radio with interesting subjects and people shouldn't be underestimated. It seems to me that there are two obvious bottom lines here.
The first is that C2C has become absolutely guest reliant. That doesn't have to be the case with Art, because he is (was) the master of the unscreened call and was capable of producing an entire show without guests that was riveting listening throughout. He can engage in a proper conversation with his callers, which Dave is pathologically unable to do.
The second is that you could take all Dave's guests from the recent past - all the psychic cat ladies, all the turmeric and baking soda quacks, all the self-improvement flim-flam, all of them - and put them on with Art and achieve interesting radio. Why? Because Art is (was) a consummate natural broadcaster and interviewer, while Dave is the most inept I've ever heard.

There is no grit in the oyster, so no pearls.

Excellent post NoMoreNoory.  I especially like your oyster metaphor. ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: onan on September 05, 2013, 03:51:45 PM

...And let's not forget there are no supportive forums for noory. If that isn't the most telling point about noory...

Even Noory ends up posting at BellGab.com, in the GNS thread, of course.  ;D

I wonder if Oates/Noory will bring up Art tonight.
Or even if Oates will play his stupid clip of art where he says he fears Oates in reverse.

I never got Oates, it always sounded like a guy with a tape recorder and too much time on his hands.

karios8

Quote from: ItsOver on September 05, 2013, 04:49:45 PM
Even Noory ends up posting at BellGab.com, in the GNS thread, of course.  ;D

This one made me laugh  :D

Tinfoil Hat

Quote from: nooryisawesome on September 05, 2013, 04:51:57 PM
<snip>
I never got Oates, it always sounded like a guy with a tape recorder and too much time on his hands.

I always hated the stupid EVP shows too. Reminded me of playing the White Album backwards with my friends in middle school.

Foodlion

Or even if Oates will play his stupid clip of art where he says he fears Oates in reverse.

David Oates on C2C? Wow. I missed that one coming.

I actually liked Oats back in the day. Might be worth listening to. Maybe he will reverse George so we can get some clips that say things like "Tommy needs food" or "my tongue is forked" or "cold rolls burn... pain... eat with caution".

lonevoice

Just a few minutes to post this before heading out.  If anyone thinks they might be able to get through as a caller tonight, I'd ask that you please read the following copy of the $60 Million lawsuit Art filed against David John Oates in 1999.  The suit, like most, was settled out of court, so there are certainly non-disclosure agreements in place, which probably prevents Art from saying anything about it.  But that doesn't mean someone else can't ask Oates a few pointed questions. 

http://www.mail-archive.com/ctrl@listserv.aol.com/msg14199.html

It still shocks me that Clear Channel/Premrat would sink so low as to have this guy on C2C.  It's much more than a poke in the eye to Art Bell.  It's a knife in the heart.   

Dave Noorie doesn't just suck.  Dave Noorie is evil.

Wonder if Art still thinks Dave is a nice guy after having Oates on?

I'm sure dave thnks he is a nice guy and occasionally does nice things only so he can justify to himself he is a nice guy.

Hey Dave can I have $500? Ill promise to think your a nice guy!

Roy Hinkley

Five bucks says Dave has them play "Hall & Oates" because it ties it into the show.

Roy Hinkley

From the website for tonight: "...by playing the audio of their speaking patterns backwards and interpreting what, at first impression, seems to be gibberish."

Why that's a bit redundant, every night with Dave seems to be gibberish... and is.

sleeplessinca

That guy is so boring.  You know GN will freak out if there's a kid voice.  Art didn't like those.  He also would say when it was garbled.  I guess Oates didn't like that. 

Renaldo

Quote from: lonevoice on September 05, 2013, 05:54:08 PM
If anyone thinks they might be able to get through as a caller tonight, I'd ask that you please read the following copy of the $60 Million lawsuit Art filed against David John Oates in 1999. 

http://www.mail-archive.com/ctrl@listserv.aol.com/msg14199.html

Worth a read even if you're not planning on calling in. I forgot about some of this. Also, I found this part, um, interesting. 

Stephens went on to defame Bell further, claiming that he was involved in various "dark matters"

WHEELS WITHIN WHEELS, PEOPLE! 

There are no coincidences.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: onan on September 05, 2013, 03:51:45 PM
Then it really isn't a comparison. Granted, I remember some rather terse criticisms of Art but mostly due to politics. But the disdain for noory, no matter how you dress it up, comes down to his lack of ability. I doubt you will see pages of complaints about Art regarding mixed metaphors, malapropisms, or mispronunciations. I also doubt the complaints will be in reference to poor interviewing skills.

And let's not forget there are no supportive forums for noory. If that isn't the most telling point about noory...

Maybe, but Noory also has excellent ratings and affiliates and is at the top of his game for his slot by a massive margin. He wouldn't if the planet thought he sucked. I think it's really just that George Noory isn't Art Bell and that pisses a whole bunch of people off for some reason so they going looking for reasons to condemn Noory.

I see it a bit differently. Art ruined that show because he left the airwaves. No one could have replaced him. Wells gets his share of hate simply because he, also, is not Art Bell. George Knapp gets a pass because Art says to give him one, but in fact his stilted dialogue and total lack of pipes is fertile ground for criticism if it were considered correct to levy it. 

But look where this thread is heading. The mail order bride question rears its head already. There's way more distaste for Art's old flagship guests than there is support, yet you KNOW those people are coming back to Art's show. An idealized version of C2C has been built, where Art's best shows are what all hosts and the show's entire run is judged by. They are, also, what Art will be judged by when he returns.

So when Art comes back and does full shows with Hoagland every other month, along with Dames, Hogue, and a fair amount of Noory's guests, it's gonna be a freak show in here watching how the support evaporates. The Noory (and Wells) hating has served to set a very high bar indeed.

Quote from: Roy Hinkley on September 05, 2013, 07:00:20 PM
From the website for tonight: "...by playing the audio of their speaking patterns backwards and interpreting what, at first impression, seems to be gibberish."

Why that's a bit redundant, every night with Dave seems to be gibberish... and is.

Its total gibberish. Oates found something that sounds something like man will space walk from the Neil Armstong moon landing and has tried to make a career out of it. Half the stuff Oates claims you can hear, there is NOTHING!!! its pure gibberish.

Funny thing is I hear the GIS Ghost more plainly that Oates gibberish. Not to mention Oates is a sucky person, fitting hes on with Noory.

Ohh and Noory does suck, its easy to be top dog when your the only game in town.

onan

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 05, 2013, 07:14:47 PM
Maybe, but Noory also has excellent ratings and affiliates and is at the top of his game for his slot by a massive margin. He wouldn't if the planet thought he sucked. I think it's really just that George Noory isn't Art Bell and that pisses a whole bunch of people off for some reason so they going looking for reasons to condemn Noory.

I see it a bit differently. Art ruined that show because he left the airwaves. No one could have replaced him. Wells gets his share of hate simply because he, also, is not Art Bell. George Knapp gets a pass because Art says to give him one, but in fact his stilted dialogue and total lack of pipes is fertile ground for criticism if it were considered correct to levy it. 

But look where this thread is heading. The mail order bride question rears its head already. There's way more distaste for Art's old flagship guests than there is support, yet you KNOW those people are coming back to Art's show. An idealized version of C2C has been built, where Art's best shows are what all hosts and the show's entire run is judged by. They are, also, what Art will be judged by when he returns.

So when Art comes back and does full shows with Hoagland every other month, along with Dames, Hogue, and a fair amount of Noory's guests, it's gonna be a freak show in here watching how the support evaporates. The Noory (and Wells) hating has served to set a very high bar indeed.

If noory is at the top of his game, it is already over.

Art ruined the show because he left? really? don't bother trying to explain it... it doesn't make sense.

At this point you are just saying the same things over, and it is not worth repeating the same things over again.

I have no way to prove what tomorrow will be. I believe Art will have a successful show. I don't care what noory does. He is an oaf. He had so much opportunity and he blew it. He has done nothing to make the show his other than being the butt end of many jokes.

If you like his show, great. I am not here to convince you otherwise.

If you think 3.5 million listeners is comparable to 10 million, I got nothing to sway you.

sleeplessinca

Quote from: nooryisawesome on September 05, 2013, 07:44:55 PM
HMMMMM

these pictures are right on.  I want to hear someone engaged and happy in their life.  I am so interested to see where these years have taken him.  I hope he pulls back the curtain on the manipulators and fakes.  I hope he finds the people who have something to say.

Quote from: onan on September 05, 2013, 08:09:11 PM
If noory is at the top of his game, it is already over.

Art ruined the show because he left? really? don't bother trying to explain it... it doesn't make sense.

At this point you are just saying the same things over, and it is not worth repeating the same things over again.

I have no way to prove what tomorrow will be. I believe Art will have a successful show. I don't care what noory does. He is an oaf. He had so much opportunity and he blew it. He has done nothing to make the show his other than being the butt end of many jokes.

If you like his show, great. I am not here to convince you otherwise.

If you think 3.5 million listeners is comparable to 10 million, I got nothing to sway you.

+1

George is just not a very good radio host for c2c.
I think Ian would have done a better job had he taken full time hosting.
I think a different radio host would have been a better fit than George.

I also think there could have been worse fits for the show like Whitley or Barbara Simpson or something.

Two bad shows per month doesn't worry me. If its a bad show I will just turn it off. God knows I have done it enough with Noory.

Renaldo

Maybe, but Noory also has excellent ratings and affiliates and is at the top of his game for his slot by a massive margin. He wouldn't if the planet thought he sucked.

Not true.

I've had a similar long running argument with a friend of mine. Every year there's some national survey to pick the best pizza. Pizza Hut or Dominos inevitably wins. My friend honestly believes that means Dominos or Pizza Hut is the pinnacle of pizzadom.

Dave is like Dominos. He's sold everywhere. He's convenient. He's got long hours and cheap prices. Because of that, he gets listened to a lot. Because of that, Dominos gets ordered, a lot.

If I was able to put a box of rat turds in every home in America, rat turds would become the #1 cereal in the country. Dave and Dominos are those rat turds.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Renaldo on September 05, 2013, 08:47:07 PM
Not true.

I've had a similar long running argument with a friend of mine. Every year there's some national survey to pick the best pizza. Pizza Hut or Dominos inevitably wins. My friend honestly believes that means Dominos or Pizza Hut is the pinnacle of pizzadom.

Dave is like Dominos. He's sold everywhere. He's convenient. He's got long hours and cheap prices. Because of that, he gets listened to a lot. Because of that, Dominos gets ordered, a lot.

If I was able to put a box of rat turds in every home in America, rat turds would become the #1 cereal in the country. Dave and Dominos are those rat turds.

That's true in things that have no chance of failure, such as a major pizza corporation that has enough money to brand itself as the best and work the herd instinct. It's a little different when you get into things that can fail, such as C2C.

We've had another host. Mike Siegel. The show nearly went down in flames and off the air in the months he was on. That shows that it is possible for C2C to fail. And, well, Noory has not resulted in failure. More, most people don't want to listen to Noory's subject matter, no matter how you cut it. They want sports talk, politics or Red Eye at night. C2C has a niche audience amid a listenership that is very much skewed away from his subjects. Not so with a pizza chain. Well, Noory's numbers suggest he's satisfying that niche.

I know that everyone that views Noory as Hitler reincarnated because Art decided to retire hates that, but the guy's got the proof.

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: Renaldo on September 05, 2013, 08:47:07 PM
Not true.

Nice analogy.  So art would be that great Mom & Pop pizza joint with only one, possibly two, locations.  They're pricier, take longer, and you have to go go out to get it, but it's worth the effort to get the premium brand.

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on September 05, 2013, 02:48:42 PM
I beeleaf Tommy is working on his first solo opus. A Field Guide To The Hospitals Of Los Angeles.

LOL - Yeah, because Tommie's from there, he knows those places.  Even with all those pesky blue "H" signs - ALL OVER the planet - Tommie has a shpecial skill according to Dave.