• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

albrecht

Quote from: basswood on March 03, 2015, 09:06:21 PM
Ha! It's almost ready to get tossed in the cold case bucket. Deadspin did a really thorough history of it just last month: http://deadspin.com/whatever-happened-to-the-ripken-kidnapping-case-1681106095
Man, that is such a weird crime or incident. Bizarre. It would be worth an Art Bell show when he comes back (even if they have solved it by then, which seems doubtful I guess.) Actually seriously it would be an interesting show. Maybe even interview some of the Ripkens for baseball stories in addition about the crime because I'm sure they'd have great tales. Art used to interview "normal" people in addition to the paranormal guest and some of those were lots of fun.

basswood

Quote from: albrecht on March 03, 2015, 09:19:06 PM
Man, that is such a weird crime or incident. Bizarre. It would be worth an Art Bell show when he comes back (even if they have solved it by then, which seems doubtful I guess.) Actually seriously it would be an interesting show. Maybe even interview some of the Ripkens for baseball stories in addition about the crime because I'm sure they'd have great tales. Art used to interview "normal" people in addition to the paranormal guest and some of those were lots of fun.

Man, that'd be a brilliant show for Art. +1 from me.

I used to be a fan long ago before the players became mostly multi-millionaires.  I can recall (musta been about 1970) a few Dodgers players offering a free one day baseball camp at a local park in Fullerton, CA where I grew up (Phillip K. Dick lived there at the time).  Claude Osteen, Wes Parker, and a couple other guys showed up in uniform, played a little catch, signed autographs... It was pretty great.  Does that kind of thing still happen?

phrodo

Damn it sure was nice to watch some ST games today. Who cares if they don't count... it's still baseball dammit.  ;D

Zetaspeak

Quote from: phrodo on March 04, 2015, 12:18:29 AM
Damn it sure was nice to watch some ST games today. Who cares if they don't count... it's still baseball dammit.  ;D

What really funny is me being really pumped for the first ST game, my team losing by half a dozen runs in the first inning and the thought of "F this team, they have no chance this season" until a calmed down an remember half of these guys playing in this ST game not even going to be around during opening day of the regular season  :D

3OctaveFart

Even better is sitting in a Grapefruit League stadium with beers in each hand.

pate

For, lo, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of the singing of birds is come,
And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.

King Felix is off and running for the Seattle Mariners this season with his performance today.

Gave up a HR to Mike Trout in the 1st inning, and was on cruise control from there.

W 1-0, 7 IP, 2 hits, 1 run, 1 earned run, 1 BB, 10 Ks, 1.29 ERA

Welcome to Opening Day!

Quote from: Open Lines Gerry on April 06, 2015, 07:41:21 PM
King Felix is off and running for the Seattle Mariners this season with his performance today.

Gave up a HR to Mike Trout in the 1st inning, and was on cruise control from there.

W 1-0, 7 IP, 2 hits, 1 run, 1 earned run, 1 BB, 10 Ks, 1.29 ERA

Welcome to Opening Day!

Price went 8 scoreless for tigers.
Scherzer should be considered for cy young as well this year.

phrodo

Waino was bueno on Sunday for the Cards against the floating-in-piss baby bears and their comfort-station-challenged fans.

Cubs' Uncle Lester looked less than lustrous... and Soler looked .. well "fun to watch" while fumbling about in right field.  ;D

Here's a cool poll that you can vote on for the top players in history for each MLB franchise.  They will be recognized at this season's All-Star Game.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2015/franchise_four.jsp

[attachimg=1]

zeebo

Damn I missed the first game of regular season.  Now there's only 161 left. 

phrodo

Adrian Gonzales is on fire. BA of .769 with 5 homers in first three games. Three of his 4-for-4 hits tonite were homers. Just wait til he gets warmed up.  8)

3OctaveFart

He is actually a Milton Bradley, Jr.
His dad put it on the birth certificate and had it certified without his mother's approval.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: phrodo on April 08, 2015, 11:24:21 PM
Adrian Gonzales is on fire. BA of .769 with 5 homers in first three games. Three of his 4-for-4 hits tonite were homers. Just wait til he gets warmed up.  8)

Quick... test that man for steroids.

phrodo

The Bosox and Yanks are playing two .. well basically ... tied 4-4 in the 18th so far tonight.

Eddie Coyle

This 7 hour Sox-Yanks game being extended multiple times by new Pinstripe legend, "Gregorius: The Rally Killer".

Zetaspeak

There bullpen must be destroyed for the next few days.

albrecht

like the quote from Slapshot. "Too much, too soon." The season just started! Too early for marathons like that....

Eddie Coyle

WFAN sounds like it's April, 1990 with the Mets being considered the far superior local nine among callers. Yes, the Mets who will probably struggle to win 83 games are that much better than the Yanks. Worst club they've had since Stump Merrill era.

I gotta say the Yankees look terrible.  They would be 0-5 if not for the Blue Jays' incendiary bullpen.

albrecht

Stros/Rangers in the 14th. Dang this season is starting out with long games!

AvDaBr

And the Reds continue to be the Cardinals' favorite bitches.  >:(

pate

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 09, 2015, 07:58:55 PM
Who names a kid Milton Bradley?

Winston Churchill?

edit: my personal hero W.C. (fields) joke as you will...

pate

Quote from: Nick el Ass on April 09, 2015, 08:22:43 PM
Quick... test that man for steroids.

Seriously, thaos goys onfire...

edit: ESPN nothin' buttah chek..

Nick el Ass

Quote from: AvDaBr on April 12, 2015, 06:09:33 PM
And the Reds continue to be the Cardinals' favorite bitches.  >:(

My Reds lost to the Cubs tonight in extra innings, and now I'm sad... but at least the Reds have won a championship in the last 100+ years. :)

pate

Quote from: Nick el Ass on April 14, 2015, 01:59:07 AM
My Reds lost to the Cubs tonight in extra innings, and now I'm sad... but at least the Reds have won a championship in the last 100+ years. :)

Spock sez:

Indeed...