• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

One Hundred Years Ago

Started by Rix Gins, January 01, 2016, 08:20:14 PM

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, May 9, 1918.

QuoteSopwith 8F.1 Snail single-seat prototype fighter biplane. Serial number C4288. Second version with monococque fuselage and positive stagger.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205314697 © IWM (Q 67515)

QuoteBroad gauge railway trestle bridge at Hesdin, known as Frevert Viaduct. It was built by 110th Company, Royal Engineers, in one day. The officer on right is Lieutenant Hamilton, 1st Battalion Canadian Railway Troops Railway Troops, 9 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205244696 © IWM (Q 8902)

QuoteThe Battle of the Lys. Outpost manned by men of the 11th Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders on the Lys Canal in front of Saint-Floris, 9 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205238528 © IWM (Q 6615)

R.I.P.

QuoteLieutenant E. J. Glasgow. Unit: 21st Battalion (Eastern Ontario Regiment), Canadian Infantry, Canadian Expeditionary Force. Death: 9 May 1918, Western Front.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205295470 © IWM (HU 115102)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress, May 9, 1918.

The Tonopah Daily Bonanza.

JIMMY KERNS IN SAN FRANCISCO

The cool weather of yesterday was favorable to the removal of Jimmy Kerns, son of Frank P. Kerns, to the coast to gain the benefit of sea level in recovering from pneumonia. At Hazen his temperature had dropped to 102 and he was resting easily, according to a dispatch received by Mrs. Lanthier. Later in the evening Dennis Nolan, past grand knight of Tonopah council. Knights of Columbus, was advised by John Morgan of Reno council that Jimmy was in excellent shape to continue the journey. This was the result of an examination by a physician retained by the Reno Knights of Columbus. This morning a message stated that the journey had been completed safely.

This afternoon Dr. Cowden received a wire from Mrs. Simmons, the nurse in charge of Mr. Kerns, that the patient had arrived at St. Joseph's hospital and was showing considerable improvement.

RECOVERING FROM OPERATION

Harry Atkinson received word this morning from Los Angeles that Mrs Atkinson, who submitted to a serious capital operation yesterday, is making rapid convalescence. It was on this account that the district attorney was called recently to the southern city.

NEGLECTED BURRO

Ben Hendricks of the street department reports a mouse colored burro lying near the Ohio shaft apparently suffering and unable to move. The owner is urged to give the animal early attention.

ALL KINDS OF WEATHER IN SHORT SPACE OF TIME

The caprices of May weather in this section were illustrated this morning when within a single hour there was hail, rain and snow with a few minutes of sunshine just to cover the gamut. Later the skies were clouded and for a few moments it looked as though there was a real May blizzard coming with four or five feet of snow but inside of five minutes the sun was back at its old stand and everything was lovely. Last night the mercury dropped to 30 degrees and ice was formed wherever water was left exposed. From 3 to 7 o'clock the temperature stood at 30.

BROTHER MAY HAVE BEEN ONE OF INJURED

Harry French, night clerk at the Mizpah Hotel has heard from his sister in Oakland, the report that one of his brothers has been injured on the Flanders front. No direct advice has been received from the war department so it is inferred that the boy escaped with a trifling wound or was not in the list of casualties at all.

The French family enjoys the remarkable record of having four boys at the firing line and Harry would be there were it not for the fact that, while he enlisted in the U.S. aviation corps, he has been notified that there will not be any vacancy in the pilot class until after the first of June. A sixth brother was eager to enter the army but was debarred by physical disability sustained while in the service of the Southern Pacific working on the top of a tower car which collapsed and crushed his ankle. Notwithstanding his injury, the youth tendered his services to his country as an electrical engineer but was not accepted. Two of the brothers in the trenches are civil engineers and were with the Twenty third U. S. engineers in the recent heroic charge against overpowering numbers where the Americans held their own and finally retired in good order but with a heavy loss.

MESSENGER BURIED BY HIS OLD ASSOCIATES

Jimmy Gardner will be burled this afternoon at 5 o'clock in the local cemetery where his former companions and associates secured a neat burial plot so that their young friend would not rest in the land of the forgotten. "Jimmy" is remembered as the alert messenger who made his headquarters at the Alamo saloon, next to the post office, when that place was run by Cap. Belmont. The lad was always cheerful and willing in responding and, during his stay in Tonopah he made numerous friends. The boy went off under the lure of distant lands and after a short experience returned to Tonopah to find eternal rest.

DISAPPEARANCE OF LA GRIPPE

The visitation of la grippe, which gripped the entire community for the past thirty days, seems to have vanished without any apparent reason. During the last three days physicians agree that there has not been a single case where it was customary to have between twenty and thirty new patients daily.

The Rogue River Courier.

SOLDIER LETTERS

Somewhere In France,

Dear Mother:

I received your letter yesterday and believe me I was sure glad to hear from home. We have been having some fine weather here the last two weeks, but it has been raining here the past few days.

I have just finished my washing and am taking it easy for the rest of the day. We get every Sunday off. I haven't been out of camp yet but will probably get a pass and go next Sunday.

I am glad yon got my allotment, they will come right along now. Seems as though there is ao much red tape to go through with that. It takes two or three months to do anything.

I have felt better since I have been in this camp than I have since I Joined the army. I have got a few souvenirs to bring home and will have a lot more if I stay here very long. I would send them, but It would let you know where I am and besides I am afraid they would get lost.

Well every time I try to write a letter I get mad because there is so much I could tell you, but can't, so will have lo stop here. Write often. My letters are very short but will try and write once a week or more. 

Your loving son,
ELMER WHIPPLE.
P. S. Tobacco is hard to get here and if vou could, send me some once in a while it would go pretty good. The French tobacco would knock a mule down. It is so strong.

A. E. F. France.
Dear Folks at Home:

Well I guess you have not heard from me for quite a long time. The main reason is that I have been shooting all over the country, no I don't mean fighting, but in first one place then another.

I arrived In France O. K. Nothing bothered me coming over, and the weather was great. You know I wrote you that I was with a casual company after I got out of the hospital. When we got over here the company was spilt up, the men being shipped to their respective branches of the service. They shipped myself and several others to an engineer's camp and believe me they worked us hard nothing but step, step, all day long. 

I thought I was going to have a slim chance of ever getting back to my old company but one night the 6th battalion, 20th engineers stumbled into camp so I transferred to my old company right away. I was with the 116th engineers prior to their coming. Just as soon as they came in they gave me about a dozen letters from their mall sacks. The first I had received. Tell Edna I received both letters of hers telling of the temporary shock you folks had. I am sorry it caused such a scare. I didn't suppose they would list me as missing when I was taken off at (censored)  Co. D was short 46 men when it got here. If I had been on the Tuscanla it might have been 47 but I think there are very few soldiers luckier than myself. Every move so far has been a fortunate one for me.

The country here is certainly different from good old U. S. A. You see I got here just at the beginning of spring and everything was green. It is too beautiful a country to be destroyed by the Boche. I am picking up a little French and can generally tell what they are talking about. I forgot to mention that I got that clipping from the Courier, telling of my death, etc. That is as near death as I want to get in this war. There is a general feeling among the boys that the war will be over by Christmas. I think so myself. That is my strong hunch anyway. Well I am going to write often from now on, but will have to close this letter as it is nearly taps, which is bedtime.

Your loving son,
PVT. EDW. F. PARKER,
Co. D, 6th Battalion, 20th
Engineer.

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, May 10, 1918.

QuoteFrench Spad biplane of Adjutant Renault wrecked in error by a British patrol. Hazebrouck, 10 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205246019 © IWM (Q 10312)

QuoteFrench and British troops outside a Church Army Hut at Poperinghe, 10 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205246009 © IWM (Q 10301)

R.I.P.

QuoteSergeant Stanley Robert Richmond. Unit: 27th Squadron, Royal Air Force. Death: 10 May 1918 Western Front. Son of George and Miriam Richmond, of 22, Muir Rd., Maidstone, Kent.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205387767 © IWM (HU 124929)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rogue River Courier, May 10, 1918.

ANOTHER BULLION ROBERY AT HOLLAND

Holland had its second "bullion" robbery Thursday night when some unknown party entered the smoke house of Jeff Wimer, who resides near that place, and stole 200 pounds of hams and bacon. With meat as high as it is, Mr. Wimer says that his loss is greater than that of R. Boswell and son, who, a week ago were held up and robbed of $8,000 worth of gold bullion about three miles from the Wimer home. The thieves in this case, however, showed a sense of justice by leaving just half of the 400 pounds which were in the house at the time. Mr. Wimer has not offered a reward of $1,600 for the arrest of the criminals, but swears vengeance if he ever gets his hands on them. 

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 09, 2018, 02:56:20 AM
The Rogue River Courier.

SOLDIER LETTERS

Somewhere In France,

Dear Mother:

I received your letter yesterday and believe me I was sure glad to hear from home. We have been having some fine weather here the last two weeks, but it has been raining here the past few days.

I have just finished my washing and am taking it easy for the rest of the day. We get every Sunday off. I haven't been out of camp yet but will probably get a pass and go next Sunday.

I am glad yon got my allotment, they will come right along now. Seems as though there is ao much red tape to go through with that. It takes two or three months to do anything.

I have felt better since I have been in this camp than I have since I Joined the army. I have got a few souvenirs to bring home and will have a lot more if I stay here very long. I would send them, but It would let you know where I am and besides I am afraid they would get lost.

Well every time I try to write a letter I get mad because there is so much I could tell you, but can't, so will have lo stop here. Write often. My letters are very short but will try and write once a week or more. 

Your loving son,
ELMER WHIPPLE.
P. S. Tobacco is hard to get here and if vou could, send me some once in a while it would go pretty good. The French tobacco would knock a mule down. It is so strong.

A. E. F. France.
Dear Folks at Home:

Well I guess you have not heard from me for quite a long time. The main reason is that I have been shooting all over the country, no I don't mean fighting, but in first one place then another.

I arrived In France O. K. Nothing bothered me coming over, and the weather was great. You know I wrote you that I was with a casual company after I got out of the hospital. When we got over here the company was spilt up, the men being shipped to their respective branches of the service. They shipped myself and several others to an engineer's camp and believe me they worked us hard nothing but step, step, all day long. 

I thought I was going to have a slim chance of ever getting back to my old company but one night the 6th battalion, 20th engineers stumbled into camp so I transferred to my old company right away. I was with the 116th engineers prior to their coming. Just as soon as they came in they gave me about a dozen letters from their mall sacks. The first I had received. Tell Edna I received both letters of hers telling of the temporary shock you folks had. I am sorry it caused such a scare. I didn't suppose they would list me as missing when I was taken off at (censored)  Co. D was short 46 men when it got here. If I had been on the Tuscanla it might have been 47 but I think there are very few soldiers luckier than myself. Every move so far has been a fortunate one for me.

The country here is certainly different from good old U. S. A. You see I got here just at the beginning of spring and everything was green. It is too beautiful a country to be destroyed by the Boche. I am picking up a little French and can generally tell what they are talking about. I forgot to mention that I got that clipping from the Courier, telling of my death, etc. That is as near death as I want to get in this war. There is a general feeling among the boys that the war will be over by Christmas. I think so myself. That is my strong hunch anyway. Well I am going to write often from now on, but will have to close this letter as it is nearly taps, which is bedtime.

Your loving son,
PVT. EDW. F. PARKER,
Co. D, 6th Battalion, 20th
Engineer.
Reminded me of the hilarious book "Catch-22":

"All the officer patients in the ward were forced to censor letters written by all the enlisted-men patients, who were kept in residence in wards of their own. It was a monotonous job, and Yossarian was disappointed to learn that the lives of enlisted men were only slightly more interesting than the lives of officers. After the first day he had no curiosity at all. To break the monotony he invented games. Death to all modifiers, he declared one day, and out of every letter that passed through his hands went every adverb and every adjective. The next day he made war on articles. He reached a much higher plane of creativity the following day when he blacked out everything in the letters but a, an and the. That erected more dynamic intralinear tensions, he felt, and in just about every case left a message far more universal. Soon he was proscribing parts of salutations and signatures and leaving the text untouched. One time he blacked out all but the salutation "Dear Mary" from a letter, and at the bottom he wrote, "I yearn for you tragically A. T. Tappman, Chaplain, U.S. Army." A. T. Tappman was the group chaplain's name.  When he had exhausted all possibilities in the letters, he began attacking the names and addresses on the envelopes, obliterating whole homes and streets, annihilating entire metropolises with careless flicks of his wrist as though he were God. Catch-22 required that each censored letter bear the censoring officer's name. Most letters he didn't read at all. On those he didn't read at all he wrote his own name. On those he did read he wrote, "Washington Irving." When that grew monotonous he wrote, "Irving Washington." Censoring the envelopes had serious repercussions, produced a ripple of anxiety on some ethereal military echelon that floated a C.I.D. man back into the ward posing as a patient. They all knew he was a C.I.D. man because he kept inquiring about an officer named Irving or Washington and because after his first day there he wouldn't censor letters. He found them too monotonous.'

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, May 11, 1918.

QuoteRuined buildings in Amiens, 11 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205235843 © IWM (Q 3297)

QuoteAmerican Labour representatives on Cassel Hill looking at the panorama of the British trenches, 11 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205244596 © IWM (Q 8782)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress, May 11, 1918.

VITAL STATISTICS MONTH OF APRIL

Dr. C. J. Richards, health registrar, reports only twelve deaths in all Nye county during the month of April, notwithstanding alarming reports circulated, including one suicide and victim of railroad accident. The list follows:

Merlyn Manning, 21, inflammation of bowels;

Infant Finn, 4 hours, inanition;

Indian Morse, 44, gangrene;

Louie Robert, 46, suicide;

Horace Fletcher, 53, paralysis;

Owen Williams, 57, heart failure;

Elmer R. Fulmer, 42, tuberculosis;

Harry J. Gomm, 26, pneumonia;

Herbert Hicks, 31, pneumonia;

Charles J. Hayden, 31, pneumonia;

Thomas J. Honey, 38, congestion of lungs;     

Mike Maria. 25, railroad accident.

Births: Daughters to William O. Davis, John H. Neilson and J. M. Mijuskovlch. Sons to Richard Finn, Nick Boscovich and Joseph Lebich.

The East Oregonian.

The Chattanooga News.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 11, 2018, 03:29:53 AM
From the Library of Congress, May 11, 1918.

VITAL STATISTICS MONTH OF APRIL

Dr. C. J. Richards, health registrar, reports only twelve deaths in all Nye county during the month of April, notwithstanding alarming reports circulated, including one suicide and victim of railroad accident. The list follows:

Merlyn Manning, 21, inflammation of bowels;

Our old friend, sweet Merlyn

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, May 12, 1918.

QuoteSoldiers of the South African Scottish Regiment in Rouen, 12 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205235824 © IWM (Q 3274)

QuoteA ruined shop in Abbeville, 12 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205235815 © IWM (Q 3265)

R.I.P.

QuoteLieutenant George Eric Klug. Unit: 108th Howitzer Battery, 8th Brigade, Australian Field Artillery. Death: 12 May 1918 Western Front. Son of George Charles and Emma Jane Klug, of "Brookwood," Queen's Rd., Melbourne. Native of Broken Hill, New South Wales.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205302519 © IWM (HU 109518)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress.  The Rogue River Courier, May 12, 1918.

ONE ROBBER OF BULLION IS CAPTURED

Robert W. DeWitt, on of the robbers who held up R. Boswell and his son Robert Jr. at their placer mine near Holland May 2, has been captured and is now confined in the Josephine county jail awaiting examination. DeWitt was apprehended on Thursday at a mine about halfway between Yreka and Happy Camp, where he had stopped to retain work. From descriptions of the robbers which had been broadcast from the sheriff's office, men working at the mine suspected DeWitt and went to Yreka, 40 miles, in order to telephone to Sheriff Lewis for further details. The sheriff was positive they had the right man and gave instructions to arrest him without delay.

Sheriff Lewis and Deputy Sheriff Lister, with Robert Boswell Jr., left Thursday night for Yreka and returned Friday night with the prisoner, who when arrested had a 30 30 automatic rifle and an automatic pistol. 

From the story of DeWitt, who admits the crime, a story of duplicity and treachery is revealed, as  well as the details of a well planned holdup, which resulted in the theft of $6.000 in gold bullion.

According to the story, DeWitt and his partner went to Waldo for the express purpose of robbing the Esterly mine. They camped in the hills overlooking the mine for a few days, and for a day his partner watched operations at the mine through a glass, but decided that the plan was not practical.

DeWitt says that after a time he became worn out and also suffered from poison oak and he proposed that they make camp and rest. The partner mentioned that it was too close to the trail but that he would go over to a nearby flat and make camp, build a fire and have supper ready. He offered to carry DeWitt's blankets and his bundle in which the gold was carried. The offer was accepted and when DeWitt, who carried only the two guns, came to the camping place he found that no camp had been made. This was the last he had seen of his partner. Being broke, hungry and cold, DeWitt made for a mine and secured work, putting in one day, for which he
received board and $2.75.

At the Yreka jail DeWitt's troubles again started when he was up before a kangaroo court composed of 15 or 30 prisoners and was fined $2.75. Then he was broke again.

Young Boswell who picked out DeWitt from a group of miners as the man who had robbed the mine, paid to Sheriff Charles H. Howard, of Siskiyou county, the $250.00 reward, which will be paid over to I. F. McCoy and John R. Johnston, the deputy sheriff and the miner who arrested DeWitt.

Sheriff Lewis is certain that they will be able to apprehend DeWitt's partner and has hope of securing the greater part of the bullion.

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, May 13, 1918.

QuoteMachine Gun Corps practicing firing at aeroplanes. Rombly, 13 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205235834 © IWM (Q 3284)

QuoteExplosion of 300 depth charge from an American torpedo boat, 13 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205215763 © IWM (Q 64332)

QuoteBritish, French and American military policemen in front of a wrecked shop in Amiens, 13 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205216626 © IWM (Q 11142)

QuoteAmerican troops waiting for fumigation of their uniforms at Bonvillers, 13 May 1918.
(Note soldier at far left talking on a cell phone.)
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205193022 © IWM (Q 70261)

QuoteAmerican troops fumigating their clothing, probably at Mont-Bonvillers, 13 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205307462 © IWM (Q 58210)

R.I.P.

QuoteCaptain Frank Oswald Medworth MC. Unit: 2nd Battalion, Manchester Regiment. Death: 13 May 1918 Western Front. Previously wounded at Salonika, 1917. Son of Joseph Medworth, of Mortlake, Surrey, and the late Caroline Medworth.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205385701 © IWM (HU 125521)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress, May 13, 1918.

The Rogue River Courier.

"BAD MAN" WALKS OUT OF PRISON

Salem, Oregon, May 13. Jesse Baldwin, one of the state's most desperate convicts and notorious as a "bad man," added another chapter to his record at the state penitentiary when he made a daring single-handed escape from the penitentiary at 10 o'clock Sunday morning.

In broad daylight Baldwin pried open the bars of a window in the commissary department of the main prison building and walked unconcernedly out of the big gates unmolested under the very eyes of the guards.

About seven months ago he staged a spectacular escape on the same day with some other convicts. Baldwin was recaptured not far from Albany by a Linn county deputy sheriff. On the way to Albany after the capture, Baldwin filched the officer's revolver from his pocket, fired at him, and nearly made his escape in a desperate fight on a lonely road. Baldwin was finally overpowered and stood trial at Albany for the assault of an officer. He had 14 years more servitude at the prison hanging over his head.

Salem, May 13. Three squads of state police are coming to help hunt for Convict Jesse Baldwin. It is believed that Baldwin robbed a house in Salem last night and secured an overcoat and hat and $2 in money.

HISTORICAL WINDOW IS SMASHED AGAIN

Two men engaged in a fight yesterday afternoon occupied the sidewalk in front of Mrs. Harris' Specialty Shop until one lifted the other clean off his feet and hurled him through the plate glass window which was smashed to fragments. The offenders promised to pay the damages.

This is the same window that was smashed about nine years ago when the place was occupied by the Blakesless jewelry store and over $12,000 worth of diamonds lifted out by a thief. The robbery occurred in mid winter on a very stormy evening when few persons were outdoors and a regular blizzard was blowing with such intensity that one could not see across the street. At about 8:30 a man walked directly to the window which he smashed with a padded hammer and then reaching in seized a tray full of diamonds and made his escape. Before breaking the glass the robber had placed a bar made from a 2x4 in the handle of the door so that the jeweler, who was working inside behind the showcase, could not get out. Having taken the gems the thief escaped by springing over a low fence that enclosed the lot where Brokers Row is now and then made his way through to St. Patrick street where all trace was lost.

PERSONAL

J. D. Grant, chief of police, was a passenger this morning for Battle Mountain, where he goes to recover the car stolen from W. A. Ray and disposed of by J. C. Blake, alias J. C. Farley, who represented himself as a member of the marines recruiting force.

ADVERTS

I loan you a watch to carry while I repair your own. I am the finest watchmaker who ever came to Tonopah. Emile Merman at Robert's Grocery store. 

Ladies who are particular about their appearance and who enjoy grace and comfort combined, wear NuBone Corsets. Not sold in stores. Orders taken at Cross avenue, near St. Patrick street. Grace Van de Mark, Corsetiere. 

The Evening Star.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 12, 2018, 03:12:49 AM
From the Library of Congress.  The Rogue River Courier, May 12, 1918.

ONE ROBBER OF BULLION IS CAPTURED

Robert W. DeWitt, on of the robbers who held up R. Boswell and his son Robert Jr. at their placer mine near Holland May 2, has been captured and is now confined in the Josephine county jail awaiting examination. DeWitt was apprehended on Thursday at a mine about halfway between Yreka and Happy Camp, where he had stopped to retain work. From descriptions of the robbers which had been broadcast from the sheriff's office, men working at the mine suspected DeWitt and went to Yreka, 40 miles, in order to telephone to Sheriff Lewis for further details. The sheriff was positive they had the right man and gave instructions to arrest him without delay.

Sheriff Lewis and Deputy Sheriff Lister, with Robert Boswell Jr., left Thursday night for Yreka and returned Friday night with the prisoner, who when arrested had a 30 30 automatic rifle and an automatic pistol. 

From the story of DeWitt, who admits the crime, a story of duplicity and treachery is revealed, as  well as the details of a well planned holdup, which resulted in the theft of $6.000 in gold bullion.

According to the story, DeWitt and his partner went to Waldo for the express purpose of robbing the Esterly mine. They camped in the hills overlooking the mine for a few days, and for a day his partner watched operations at the mine through a glass, but decided that the plan was not practical.

DeWitt says that after a time he became worn out and also suffered from poison oak and he proposed that they make camp and rest. The partner mentioned that it was too close to the trail but that he would go over to a nearby flat and make camp, build a fire and have supper ready. He offered to carry DeWitt's blankets and his bundle in which the gold was carried. The offer was accepted and when DeWitt, who carried only the two guns, came to the camping place he found that no camp had been made. This was the last he had seen of his partner. Being broke, hungry and cold, DeWitt made for a mine and secured work, putting in one day, for which he
received board and $2.75.

At the Yreka jail DeWitt's troubles again started when he was up before a kangaroo court composed of 15 or 30 prisoners and was fined $2.75. Then he was broke again.

Young Boswell who picked out DeWitt from a group of miners as the man who had robbed the mine, paid to Sheriff Charles H. Howard, of Siskiyou county, the $250.00 reward, which will be paid over to I. F. McCoy and John R. Johnston, the deputy sheriff and the miner who arrested DeWitt.

Sheriff Lewis is certain that they will be able to apprehend DeWitt's partner and has hope of securing the greater part of the bullion.
I hope they catch the other outlaw. This bold portion intrigued me. I've never heard of an "automatic," or "semi-auto" for that matter, chambered in .30-.30. I could be wrong I can't seem to find any examples on a quick internet search.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 13, 2018, 03:15:11 AM
From the Library of Congress, May 13, 1918.

HISTORICAL WINDOW IS SMASHED AGAIN

Two men engaged in a fight yesterday afternoon occupied the sidewalk in front of Mrs. Harris' Specialty Shop until one lifted the other clean off his feet and hurled him through the plate glass window which was smashed to fragments. The offenders promised to pay the damages.

This is the same window that was smashed about nine years ago when the place was occupied by the Blakesless jewelry store and over $12,000 worth of diamonds lifted out by a thief. The robbery occurred in mid winter on a very stormy evening when few persons were outdoors and a regular blizzard was blowing with such intensity that one could not see across the street. At about 8:30 a man walked directly to the window which he smashed with a padded hammer and then reaching in seized a tray full of diamonds and made his escape. Before breaking the glass the robber had placed a bar made from a 2x4 in the handle of the door so that the jeweler, who was working inside behind the showcase, could not get out. Having taken the gems the thief escaped by springing over a low fence that enclosed the lot where Brokers Row is now and then made his way through to St. Patrick street where all trace was lost.
That is awesome and crazy. Smash and grabs of jewelry still happen today- why won't jewellers learn? And the fight is like something out of an old Western movie!

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on May 13, 2018, 11:35:40 AM
I hope they catch the other outlaw. This bold portion intrigued me. I've never heard of an "automatic," or "semi-auto" for that matter, chambered in .30-.30. I could be wrong I can't seem to find any examples on a quick internet search.

Perhaps somebody can help us out on this.  I'm pretty sure that was how the gun was described.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on May 13, 2018, 11:37:27 AM
That is awesome and crazy. Smash and grabs of jewelry still happen today- why won't jewellers learn? And the fight is like something out of an old Western movie!

Ha, I liked this news item.  I wonder, why didn't the jeweler walk out through the broken window?

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 13, 2018, 03:21:46 PM
Perhaps somebody can help us out on this.  I'm pretty sure that was how the gun was described.
I think it was a misprint and the caliber was .30REM not a .30-.30WIN. The .30Rem was the 'rimless' answer to Winchester's and was available in semi-automatic rifles from the early 1900's. .30-.30 has a 'rim" and so not good for those types of rifles, but is probably the most used lever-action caliber still today.  The .30Rem since it could be used that way did not need the rounded-bullet, like the .30-.30 did until recent times when polymers were invented (because in a tubular magazine the recoil could set off the bullet(s) in the chamber if they were pointed.)

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, May 14, 1918.

QuoteA camouflaged path between Lievin and Lens which was formerly the main road, 14 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205238538 © IWM (Q 6627)

QuoteGunner of the Royal Field Artillery painting the wheel of a limber with camouflage. On the limber is the sign of the 35th Division. Near Albert, 14 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205247098 © IWM (Q 11505)

QuoteMen of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment at dinner near Lievin, 14 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205238537 © IWM (Q 6626)

R.I.P.

QuoteRifleman William Pepino S/21059. Unit: 12th Battalion, The Rifle Brigade. Death: 14 May 1918 Western Front.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205387016 © IWM (HU 116846)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress. The Rogue River Courier, May 14, 1918.

CONVICT BALDWIN IS STILL AT LARGE

Salem, Oregon, May 14. With orders to "bring him in dead or alive," the state police took their first hand in a man-hunt and also their first swing at the role of constabulary, when 29 of them arrived from Portland in automobiles and motorcycles yesterday afternoon to join in the search for Jeff Baldwin, who made his escape from the penitentiary Sunday. Major Deich and Lieutenant Snyder are in command of the detachment. Snyder has lived here for years and knows the country in this section like a book. 

Major Deich detached on automobile load of police to Albany, another to West Stayton, and another to Jefferson. A motorcycle was sent to Wilsonville to cut off escape over the big Oregon Electric bridges over the Willamette and another to the Oregon Electric bridge over the Santiam, south of here.

Salem, May 14. Warden Murphy and a posse, who were hunting for escaped Convict Baldwin, caught Gussis Gold, an escaped patient from the state hospital, but no trace of the escaped convict.

ADVERT

Grants Pass People Should Eat Pie Daily

Pie is wholesome, combining both fruit and grain. Those who have trouble digesting pie should take ONE SPOONFUL simple buckthorn bark, glycerin, etc.. as mixed in Ad-ler-i-ka. This Flushes the ENTIRE bowel tract, removes foul matter which poisoned your stomach for months and relieves ANY CASE sour stomach, gas or constipation and prevents appendicitis. Leaves stomach in condition to digest ANYTHING.
National Drug Store. 

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 14, 2018, 02:42:37 AM
From the Library of Congress. The Rogue River Courier, May 14, 1918.

CONVICT BALDWIN IS STILL AT LARGE

Salem, Oregon, May 14. With orders to "bring him in dead or alive," the state police took their first hand in a man-hunt and also their first swing at the role of constabulary, when 29 of them arrived from Portland in automobiles and motorcycles yesterday afternoon to join in the search for Jeff Baldwin, who made his escape from the penitentiary Sunday. Major Deich and Lieutenant Snyder are in command of the detachment. Snyder has lived here for years and knows the country in this section like a book. 

Major Deich detached on automobile load of police to Albany, another to West Stayton, and another to Jefferson. A motorcycle was sent to Wilsonville to cut off escape over the big Oregon Electric bridges over the Willamette and another to the Oregon Electric bridge over the Santiam, south of here.

Salem, May 14. Warden Murphy and a posse, who were hunting for escaped Convict Baldwin, caught Gussis Gold, an escaped patient from the state hospital, but no trace of the escaped convict.

ADVERT

Grants Pass People Should Eat Pie Daily

Pie is wholesome, combining both fruit and grain. Those who have trouble digesting pie should take ONE SPOONFUL simple buckthorn bark, glycerin, etc.. as mixed in Ad-ler-i-ka. This Flushes the ENTIRE bowel tract, removes foul matter which poisoned your stomach for months and relieves ANY CASE sour stomach, gas or constipation and prevents appendicitis. Leaves stomach in condition to digest ANYTHING.
National Drug Store.
Those Baldwins, always causing trouble, even back then. Glad they caught the escaped mental patient. Teenagers at the Lover's Lane in Salem don't need to worry about an attack during the course of 'heavy petting.'

Sounds lovely: "Intestinal Evacuant" (marketing back then was in its infancy.)

http://www.bergsengs.com/Adlerika-MN.html
https://www.si.edu/object/nmah_715087

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on May 14, 2018, 02:19:46 PM
Those Baldwins, always causing trouble, even back then. Glad they caught the escaped mental patient. Teenagers at the Lover's Lane in Salem don't need to worry about an attack during the course of 'heavy petting.'

Sounds lovely: "Intestinal Evacuant" (marketing back then was in its infancy.)

http://www.bergsengs.com/Adlerika-MN.html
https://www.si.edu/object/nmah_715087

I wonder if the mental patient's name was Gussie Gold?  typo?  Would be a nice name for a budding podcaster. 

Ha, the pic of that bottle looks like the stuff started to work before the person had a chance to put it back in the medicine cabinet.

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, May 15, 1918.

QuotePilots of No. 32 Squadron. An American, Canadian, New Zealander, Englishman and South African, respectively; Green, Lawson, Leese, McBean, Hooper. Humieres aerodrome, near St. Pol, 15 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205247582 © IWM (Q 12041)

QuoteRoyal Aircraft Factory R.E.8 biplane (serial number B5106) of No. 59 Squadron taking off at Vert-Galland Aerodrome, 15 May 1918. Note the Observer's Lewis gun on the Scarff Ring in the background and two air mechanics holding the inter-plane struts.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205247700 © IWM (Q 12170)

QuoteRoyal Aircraft Factory R.E.8 biplane of No. 59 Squadron in flight. Photographen taken from another R.E.8 flying from Vert-Galland Aerodrome, 15 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205247702 © IWM (Q 12172)

R.I.P.

QuoteLieutenant Harry Jones. Unit: 4th Battalion, London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers).  Son of Walter and Mary Jones, of Hastings, Sussex; husband of Frances Amy Jones, of 528, Alexandra Park Rd., Wood Green, London. Lieutenant Jones received his commission in July 1915 and served in France from August 1915. In March 1918 he joined Acting Adjutant Command. He was killed, accidentally, whilst at Bombing School in Aldershot on 15 May 1918. He was 42. Lieutenant Jones was mentioned in Army Orders on 19 November 1915 and in the Somme Dispatches, 1916.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205026105 © IWM (HU 96657)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress, May 15, 1918.

The Rogue River Courier.

SOLDIER LETTER

France, April 14, 1918.
Dear Mother: 

I just received your letter of March, and I want to tell you I have received, I guess, all of the letters you have sent, though I had not at that time, and please don't try to make them any shorter, for the bigger the better. Sprlng is here, too. I guess it goes away with April as it is raining and blowing awfully now. We sure get those April showers here. It only takes a light rain and everything is muddy. I received the Weekly Courier last night. They sent it to me and it is the best paper I get to read, as it is right from home.

Yes, those Boches, (it means swine) are a stubborn lot, even those who have been made prisoners are just as certain they are going to lick us as they were the first day they started. They have had the military and Kaiser stuff beat into them ever sine they were born and they know nothing else.  Their God is the Kaiser, or at least he comes first, but now von Hindenburg is the high muck-amuck. They all are a bunch of war-insane brutes. Well that's enough. They have to be licked and will be. Well I must close this time and I don't want to miss saying. I am feeling fine. Your loving son.

BERT BUCHANAN ZUVER.
Supply Co. 30t,
Q. M. C. A. E. F.

A postscript added to this letter says. "Bert is bossing German prisoners now."

The Seattle Star.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 15, 2018, 02:44:44 AM
R.I.P.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205026105 © IWM (HU 96657)
The reason why the Amish, Mennonites, etc have those weird beards is that mustaches were associated back in the old days with militarism.

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, May 16, 1918.

Quote13 pounder anti-aircraft gun in the ruins of Lievin, 16th May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205238530 © IWM (Q 6619)

QuoteBritish Signaling Officers posted up a water tower in Lievin, 16 May 1918. Note the shrapnel holes.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205239680 © IWM (Q 7880)

QuoteNaked American troops waiting for delousing treatment in the undressing room of the Delousing Station in the 166th Field Hospital (Indian Village). France, 16 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205307394 © IWM (Q 58122)

R.I.P.

QuoteSecond Lieutenant Percival Arthur Ward. Unit: C Battery, 50th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. Death: 16 May 1918 Died of wounds Western France. Son of Arthur and Charlotte Sarah Ward, of 5, Bishopsgate, London. CWGC has age at death given as 19.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205390342 © IWM (HU 127053)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress, May 16, 1918.

The Rogue River (Grants Pass, Oregon) Courier.

CONVICT BALDWIN IS NEAR CAPTURE

Portland, May 10. Jeff Baldwin, escaped convict, is believed to be surrounded between Oregon City and. Canby. His capture is expected before night.

TOM KULIACHA WILL BE TRIED TOMORROW MORNING

The case ot the state versus Tom Kuliacha, accused of feloniously using a knife on Vic Bogdonovich, will be heard by a jury this morning in Justice Dunseath's court. The prisoner says he was taunted into using a knife and that the prosecuting witness provoked the encounter. Dr. Cowden, who attended the wounded man, gave his deposition this morning as he will not be present at the hearing owing to a previous summons from Goldfield.

DR. J. C. COWDEN has been called to Goldfield to attend a trial which begins tomorrow morning. He expects to return in the afternoon.

HEARING OF CHARGE OF MURDER NEXT WEEK

Judge Averill will be occupied next week with the hearing of the case of the State vs. Kruger, accused of murdering a prospector named McWilliams at Round Mountain. A venire of 80 tales men has been drawn and service was completed yesterday. The trial promises to be one of exceeding interest owing to the fact that the allegations are supported by circumstantial evidence without any witnesses to the actual commission of the crime.

PETER SOMERS IN FRANCE

Judge P. J. Somers received a letter this morning from his daughter in Los Angeles in which she mentioned receipt of a cablegram reading: "Arrived safely. Peter." From which it is inferred that the boys of the quartermasters corps, consisting chiefly of Goldfield recruits, are now nearing the front.

The Evening Herald.  (Klamath Falls, Oregon.)

ENGINEERS IN FRANCE ARE KEPT VERY BUSY

The many friends of Lieutenant Marion Nine, formerly of the Nine Lumber company here, and now with The Company F detachment of the 20th Engineers in France, will be pleased to hear that he is well and busily engaged in the prosecution of the war.

A part of an interesting letter just received by the Herald, telling of his activities, is quoted.

My regiment is doing excellent work, a work that is absolutely necessary for the successful prosecuting of the war. Our men are scattered all over France, wherever they can do the most good. One half of my company is below Bordeaux, while I am with the other half not so very far from Paris. There are many Klamath Falls boys in my company, several of whom are now with me.

At present we are shipping all kinds of forest products to the front, wood faggots, different kinds of ties, artillery planks, pickets for wire entanglements, and lumber. We have a small mill running twenty-four hours per day, and will start a larger mill in a few days. We have the record for France for the biggest cut on a mill like ours. We cut 30 per cent more oak than the rated capacity for pine. The timber we have here is scrubby oak, with a small percentage of beech. The timber runs about two and a half thousand feet per acre.

Rix Gins

Here is a picture of Marion Nine, the engineer who wrote the above note.  I was going to include it last night but my old scanner went belly up. 

Rix Gins

From the Imperial War Museum, May 17. 1918.

QuoteAustralian troops and RFC mechanics towing the fuselage of a wrecked German AEG G.IV bomber by a lorry through Amiens, 17 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205247707 © IWM (Q 12177)

QuoteSoldiers of one of the Territorial battalions fixing barbed wire to knife-rests. Near Arras, 17 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205244608 © IWM (Q 8798)

QuoteA British soldier talking to a French girl tending cattle by the side of a main road near Amiens, 17 May 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205246623 © IWM (Q 10990)

Rix Gins

From the Library of Congress, May 17, 1918.

The Rogue River Courier.  (Grants Pass, Oregon.)

SOLDIER LETTER

April 21, 1918. Publisher Rogue River Courier:

Having received two copies of the Weekly Rogue River Courier, I felt obliged to thank you as far as words will express my thanks. Being no artist at the manipulation of words I must let it go at that. Perhaps you people on the other side of the pond do not realize it but news of home to us is as water to a thirsty man on the desert. I'm not what you would call homesick, but when one leaves what I call God and country, and never finds its equal, one naturally has a longing to return.

Owing to my past good record I have been doomed to fight the "Battle of Paris" until the end of the war. Secretary Daniels thought he was bestowing a great honor on us by stationing us in Paris. Little did he think we would be dodging shells and bombs without a chance to get revenge. Life is a lottery here in Paris. One just takes a chance on not being where the shells and bombs drop. You can't see them coming and there is no use dodging after they have dropped.

The first air raids reminded me of the 4th of July celebrations we used to have in the Railroad park. But of course those celebrations weren't nearly so dangerous. During the first raids the French sent up many planes to combat with the Boches, each French plane carrying a red light. It looked like so many red stars floating in the sky. The rocket and machine gun fire and falling Boche planes were prettier than any 4th of July celebration I have ever seen. But aerial warfare over Paris has changed some since then. When German planes are sighted coming toward Paris the alarm is given and a heavy barrage fire is kept up until the enemy planes are either brought down or driven bark. The Boche doesn't like our barrage fire welcome so he doesn't come very often.

Fritsie imagines he is wrecking Paris with his little pop gun. The shells do very little damage. Some of them fall without even hurting anyone. Shells may come and shells may go but the Parisians go on forever. The only shell that had any real bad effect on Paris was dropped on a cathedral. This shell was dropped on Good Friday, the very day and hour of the death of Christ. This act alone will assure the Kaiser a warm reception in Hell when he gets down there. There were 75 killed and 90 injured. Many among the killed were Americans. I was one of the few people to enter the church immediately after the bodies were removed. Huge pieces of masonry were piled up as high as the ordinary man. Most of the people were sitting directly under the dome and when the dome was struck by the shell the people were burled. After looking over the ruins I closed my eyes and imagined I saw the Kaiser in Hell. He was tossing about on red hot pitchforks and little flames were slowly scorching his filthy hide. I couldn't go and get his scalp myself, but God knows I would like to.

I am glad that the people of Grant Pass are taking an active part in the Red Cross work. I spent a week in the American Red Cross hospital No. 1, under the care of several American Red Cross nurses. I wanted to stay sick just to be under their care, but I had my usual run of bad luck and got well.

I certainly have appreciated the Courier and hope you will continue to send then. If there is anything I could do for you here in Paris, such as sending you publications, I would be glad to serve you. That Grants Pass and the Courier may prosper is the wish of I,
FLORIAN J, BAUER. U. S. M. C.
U. S. Naval Aviation Headquarters, Paris, France.

The Seattle Star.