• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151026 - Dr. Michael Lynch – The Ghost Phenomenon - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 26, 2015, 04:57:57 PM

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 26, 2015, 10:38:58 PM
The Fermi paradox apparently doesn't address timelines. 14 billion years could result in the rise and fall of civilizations - fair probability. All of them existing at the same time? Much lower probability. That's my thinking anyways.

Well, you do need time for the universe to form up and evolution to occur, so they usually limit the possibility of advanced civilizations to the last billion years. If only, say, one percent of civilizations coexist at any given time it still results in a large amount of civilizations in any given galaxy at any given time. The Fermi Paradox is rather pesky like that.

Robert

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 26, 2015, 10:38:18 PMTrouble is, comets are terrible at blocking star light. This one blocked 22 percent of the star's light very effectively.
Who needs comets when it could be a solid?

GravitySucks

Quote from: coaster on October 26, 2015, 10:42:17 PM
A dyson sphere is completely hypothetical,  and an idea of humans. Who's to say if aliens were out there, that they would be using our ideas? We really are full of ourselves sometimes.
+1

trostol

i think in the end..we do not have ATM enough facts to say if it is something natural or aliens

GravitySucks

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 26, 2015, 10:44:03 PM
Well, you do need time for the universe to form up and evolution to occur, so they usually limit the possibility of advanced civilizations to the last billion years. If only, say, one percent of civilizations coexist at any given time it still results in a large amount of civilizations in any given galaxy at any given time. The Fermi Paradox is rather pesky like that.
Or maybe we are on the early side and it is the next billion years.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 26, 2015, 10:41:37 PM
And there wasn't a large excess of infrared light which would show up due to the large amount of particles, dust, and such that would surround the comet clouds theory.

Right, there should have been infrared emissions. Comets don't emit much, but from what I understand they didn't detect any at all. That's really weird because a Dyson Sphere should produce near IR emissions, unless it were so technologically efficient that it was able to make use of 100 percent of a star's energy.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: inuk2600 on October 26, 2015, 10:36:25 PM
True, we really don't know how big a breaking-up comet's coma can get. It's much much more likely than alien structures.

Not to attack you but have you or anyone else posting this "it's much more likely" to be the breaking up of comets theory, actually read the articles about this??

This has all but been ruled out.

1. No excess of infrared light, which shows up in large groupings of dust, particles etc.

2. A non elliptical orbit which a comet would most likely be on.

3. A repeating pattern. The 10-22% drops of light repeated over the course of four years of observation. If it was a giant comet cloud, from what I've read, by the second go around the cloud would have formed into an accretion disk.

I don't know, I'm of course familiar with the concept but the whole thing about any civilization being able to build something large enough to block 20% of a star's light is still a pretty tall order.

Spinner

Quote from: Oculary on October 26, 2015, 10:39:05 PM
Art's just killing it. He's the fucking best...EVER!
I hope that there are thousands of new listener of Art's show on KABC tonight.
They will feel like they have finally been given water after enduring the desert.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on October 26, 2015, 10:38:57 PM
Get ready, may need your "Go to open lines" call early on.

I was THIS close to saying that the second Seth joined the show

SaucyRossy

Quote from: trostol on October 26, 2015, 10:45:34 PM
i think in the end..we do not have ATM enough facts to say if it is something natural or aliens

Totally agree.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 26, 2015, 10:46:11 PM
Or maybe we are on the early side and it is the next billion years.

That's actually been my favored view. We're simply so early in the game that we will be the Type III megasociety that conquers and subjects the rest of the galaxy to our every whim. We will be like gods to E.T.

coaster

Didn't they say that there was a fifty percent chance that they were not even Interpreting the data right?

Kolchak

"How do you prove ghosts exist?"
"We can prove it because ghosts remember their form in life."

Begging the question much?

coaster

Quote from: Spinner on October 26, 2015, 10:47:01 PM

I hope that there are thousands of new listener of Art's show on KABC tonight.
They will feel like they have finally been given water after enduring the desert.
Not a great choice of guest for new listeners. A guy who thinks dust is alien ghosts..

Robert

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 26, 2015, 10:46:26 PMNot to attack you but have you or anyone else posting this "it's much more likely" to be the breaking up of comets theory, actually read the articles about this??

This has all but been ruled out.

1. No excess of infrared light, which shows up in large groupings of dust, particles etc.

2. A non elliptical orbit which a comet would most likely be on.

3. A repeating pattern. The 10-22% drops of light repeated over the course of four years of observation. If it was a giant comet cloud, from what I've read, by the second go around the cloud would have formed into an accretion disk.
Has anything you've seen yet ruled out my hypothesis of an irregularly shaped solid much closer to Earth than to the star it's occulting, rotating so as to occult & unoccult the star periodically according to the shape of its edge & how closely aligned the star is to the line of sight from the object's edge?

Uncle Duke

I once saw my beloved Sheltie at the window barking at me mowing my yard as she always had done....six months after she died.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: coaster on October 26, 2015, 10:49:09 PM
Not a great choice of guests for new listeners. A guy who thinks dust is alien ghosts..

I had the exact same thought.

GravitySucks

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 26, 2015, 10:47:57 PM
That's actually been my favored view. We're simply so early in the game that we will be the Type III megasociety that conquers and subjects the rest of the galaxy to our every whim. We will be like gods to E.T.

You're optimistic. Maybe our self-replicating nanobots may become something megalithic, but I don't see us making it to a Type Ii civilization. I have troubles visualizing us getting to a Type I. I hope I am wrong.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 26, 2015, 10:47:57 PM

I've often wondered that myself.  The first stars formed and started producing heavier elements early on, but just how long did it take to build a critical mass of heavier elements and accumulate them into star forming regions to create a star system like ours?  Maybe we are the first technological species in our neighbourhood.

jazmunda

he he Heather.

You can take the girl out of BellGab. You can't take the BellGab out of the girl.

Designx

Quote from: coaster on October 26, 2015, 10:48:01 PM
Didn't they say that there was a fifty percent chance that they were not even Interpreting the data right?

NASA didn't make the discovery in the first place.