• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

HAL 9000

Quote from: b_dubb on January 26, 2012, 12:08:35 AM... it reminds me of that psychological disorder that some nurses get where they make their own children sick so that people will pity them - i can't figure out what that syndrome / disorder is called.

I strenuously and resolutely disagree with your insinuation that, "some nurses" have the particular order you describe - this is a grave disservice to nurses in general - I would argue that nurses/medical professional are not disproportionately represented of those who exhibit such behavior.

My guess would be the disorder you're looking for is:

Münchausen syndrome by proxy

Personally seen numerous cases.

Scully

Munchausen syndrome by proxy is the psychological disorder I believe you're referring to b_dubb.

And I too see the relationship to George's odd continuing mention of his father's death on air.  Both behaviors are a way to attract pity, something most of us avoid like like the plague.

WOTR

Quote from: Sardondi on January 26, 2012, 01:49:02 AM
I knew I was on awful thin ice when criticizing someone about how they handled the loss of a loved one. But I note that in your case you talked with close friends...which is exactly what I did, and not mere acquaintances.

Also, I think you make a good point about how mentioning a death can be a way to make human connections through seeking common experiences. I knew when I posted my original that after I saw it in cold pixels I was probably going to feel like an ass, and so it is. But still I feel there's something of a slightly false note about the way "hey, I lost my father" is shoehorned into places it doesn't really fit.
George has been known to refer to the audience as his "millions of friends."  I don't think that it is appropriate to treat those millions as close friends when it comes an ongoing personal issue.

I can't see why you would feel like an ass.  The fact is that even if it is an attempt to form a human bond, it is misplaced.  In Noory's case it seems like an attempt to exhibit behavior and comes across as forced.  I have worked with a few people who have trouble fitting in socially.  Noory shoehorning in the subject with some of his guests would be the equivalent of my mentioning that I found rotting meat in the back of my fridge and having a co-worker exclaim "my father died last year."  In their mind it is forming a bond... they are attempting to exhibit behavior that they have been told is "normal" and failing.  It is practice and I can forgive the non sequitur knowing their challenges.  It is harder to overlook in the case of a radio host who is old enough to know better.  As a host he should realize that he is there to interview guests and take some calls from listeners- not to form long lasting relationships

YNOT

Not to change the subject, but I didn't know where to put this one...

I infrequently go to the CC website anymore but I just did and I had to laugh. 
Now that the economy is growing a few (if wilted) green shoots, it looks like the gold speculation thing is fading.  And in classic Shill fashion the ads on CtoC are apparently changing too....

Tara

Quote from: WOTR on January 26, 2012, 12:20:44 AM
I see two possibilities; both depressing.  It could be that he lacks friends or anybody close that he can talk to and uses his audience and guests to fill the void.  I know that I talked with a few close friends about Dad for awhile.  While I may occasionally reference his passing now, I had a support network of people to talk with and work things out.  It could be that George only has those who make contact through his program...

The other possibility is that he has heard "somewhere" that trying to find commonalities helps form a bond as is what humans do.  He has been told this but is unsure how to apply it appropriately to his conversations.  I may have posted a few weeks back when his guest said that years ago he was visiting a friend who was dying in Missouri and George broke in with "I used to live in St. Louis.  We must have been close."  It was not appropriate, poor timing and abruptly halted the conversation for a moment.  However, if he had read somewhere "how to win friends and influence people" and finding common ground were covered he may well be trying but not have a "knack" for it.  I have watched people who are "socially awkward" (some diagnosed actual problems and some not).  Often when they try applying what they have been told is "normal" behavior, there are slip-ups while they gain experience. George reminds me in many ways of those people while they try instituting those "skill sets" into their conversations and relationships.

Maybe Noory as Asperger's, a "mild" form of autism.  I know a woman who's married to a guy with the syndrome; he makes inappropriate comments, has no friends, and no real empathy.   I'd say Noory has Asperger's along with a healthy dose of narcissism.   If not, I'd say he has some type of personality disorder.

valdez

Daniel Durda on (because c2c is not into fear mongering) asteroid/earth collisions, then Walter Semkiw on past lives.  Routine stuff, though Semkiw's presentation was slightly above average.  I've written about this before, and both last night's show, and tonight's, brought it to mind again.  When Seth Shostak mentioned Star Trek on Tuesday's show, George tried to change the subject to the Jetsons.  Tonight someone named Tiberius called in and George said the name brings to mind a roman emperor.  Tiberius brings one thing to my mind: Captain James T. Kirk.  To date George has demonstrated no knowledge of the Star Trek franchise.  Perhaps no big deal.  I think it is.

Tiberius

b_dubb

Quote from: HAL 9000 on January 26, 2012, 04:08:50 AM
I strenuously and resolutely disagree with your insinuation that, "some nurses" have the particular order you describe - this is a grave disservice to nurses in general - I would argue that nurses/medical professional are not disproportionately represented of those who exhibit such behavior.

My guess would be the disorder you're looking for is:

Münchausen syndrome by proxy

Personally seen numerous cases.

I remember studying this disorder in a Psych class in college. The case study involved a nurse. Sorry if  I made it sound like this was limited to nurses only

Gassy Man

Quote from: Tara on January 26, 2012, 07:47:25 AM
Maybe Noory as Asperger's, a "mild" form of autism.  I know a woman who's married to a guy with the syndrome; he makes inappropriate comments, has no friends, and no real empathy.   I'd say Noory has Asperger's along with a healthy dose of narcissism.   If not, I'd say he has some type of personality disorder.
I've taught students with Asperger's -- Noory doesn't fit the bill -- he's more like an idiot whose dopey habits were never corrected when he was a child.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: valdez on January 26, 2012, 07:49:31 AM
...Tonight someone named Tiberius called in and George said the name brings to mind a roman emperor...
That happens a lot: Georgie trying to look "spontaneously smart" to the rubes, with a lot of staff help.  Screener takes a call, puts caller back on hold, does a little Wiki search, and types a little "helpful info" up next to the caller's name on Georgie's monitor.
And all of a sudden we're to believe that Georgie remembers stuff from Western Civ I, 40+ years ago --despite undoubtedly not retaining any of it long enough for his miserable exams, AND when he can't remember that a guest just answered the question he's stumbling to ask right now... right~~~

Scully

Quote from: Ben Shockley on January 26, 2012, 01:11:53 PM
That happens a lot: Georgie trying to look "spontaneously smart" to the rubes, with a lot of staff help.  Screener takes a call, puts caller back on hold, does a little Wiki search, and types a little "helpful info" up next to the caller's name on Georgie's monitor.
And all of a sudden we're to believe that Georgie remembers stuff from Western Civ I, 40+ years ago --despite undoubtedly not retaining any of it long enough for his miserable exams, AND when he can't remember that a guest just answered the question he's stumbling to ask right now... right~~~

Don't you just hate that?  And worse, the rubes buy it!  Witness the endless stream of callers telling George how smart he is.  :P

VtaGeezer

Last night was one of those where the quality of the guests was adequate to withstand being "Noory-ed"; though he came close pressing Durda to discuss potential life-extinguishing asteroid catastrophes.  Tonight we get a 1st hour of dead air...er...Joshua Warren.

BobGrau

Quote... the guy sounds reasonably coherent when he's being interviewed on shows.  maybe he's reading from a script there.  and struggles when interviewing cause he can't think on his feet.  or sitting on his ass.  whichever applies...

QuoteThat happens a lot: Georgie trying to look "spontaneously smart" to the rubes, with a lot of staff help.  Screener takes a call, puts caller back on hold, does a little Wiki search, and types a little "helpful info" up next to the caller's name on Georgie's monitor.

Maybe it's when he's not reading from a script that he's more coherent.

...I mean when he's not (ahem) reading from a script...

Marc.Knight

Jesus.  I just listened to a replay before the live show and Noory kept boasting how the guest's web site had been "crushed" by the C2C audience.  Later on he gleefully said that the site had "crashed" and how he had "crushed" it, almost like he had sat on it.  Noory loves to crush web sites.

Morgus

Quote from: Morgus on January 25, 2012, 08:34:44 PM
Will Noory have Hoagland on the air tonight to comment on this?
Maybe Bill from West Hartford (the OCD amateur athiest astronomer) will call in too.

Newt pledges moon base by second term
Newt Gingrich took the opportunity of being on Florida's space coast to revisit one of his favorite topics: space exploration.
"By the end of my second term, we will have the first permanent base on the moon and it will be American," Gingrich said to applause.
He said the development would include commercial and private efforts, and will make apparent, "we clearly have the capacity that Chinese and the Russians will never come anywhere close to us."
Gingrich also said he would push to develop propulsion technology that would get man to Mars.
He emphasized that it doesn't have to be expensive, exploration in partnership with private companies can lower the cost.
"If it's cheaper and it's faster and it works, do it," he said.
He also said launch areas should be capable of launching multiple spacecrafts in a day, like an airport.

A day late but Noory finally did have Hoagland on the early in the first hour tonight to comment on this moon colony space program plan...  8)

Morgus

Quote from: High Strangeness on January 27, 2012, 12:04:00 AM
Jesus.  I just listened to a replay before the live show and Noory kept boasting how the guest's web site had been "crushed" by the C2C audience.  Later on he gleefully said that the site had "crashed" and how he had "crushed" it, almost like he had sat on it.  Noory loves to crush web sites.
and that website's server apparently is still completely down tonight after over 24 hours...

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Morgus on January 27, 2012, 12:17:20 AM
and that website's server apparently is still completely down tonight after over 24 hours...

He just warned the current guest that his web site might get "clogged up".  "Clogged up" is a technical term meaning the suckage that crushes web sites.

Galaga

I think I got it.

Maybe George Noory is the real-life David Brent / Michael Scott of radioland. Consider this from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Scott_(The_Office)):

"Michael holds inflated views of himself and considers himself an office comedian, but his attempts at humor tend to fail. Often, he says things that are inappropriate, offensive or unwittingly mean in the hopes of getting a laugh. He lacks maturity and self-awareness, has few friends and is quite lonely, made worse because his efforts to make friends with people usually backfire. Michael will resort to any means possible to make himself the center of attention and often takes credit for the successes of others. His subordinates, with the exception of Dwight Schrute (Tom Danheiser), think of him as inept and several of them remark that they get their work done whenever Michael is distracted or away.

Michael wasn't always an incompetent employee at Dunder Mifflin. Before he was promoted to regional manager, he was a great salesman, able to relate well with clients and use his personable attitude to his advantage. However, his promotion put him into a position above his level of competence, making him an embodiment of the Peter Principle."

And on the Peter Principle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle):

"The principle holds that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they work competently. Eventually they are promoted to a position at which they are no longer competent (their "level of incompetence"), and there they remain, being unable to earn further promotions. Peter's Corollary states that "in time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out their duties" and adds that "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence." "Managing upward" is the concept of a subordinate finding ways to subtly "manage" superiors in order to limit the damage that they end up doing."

Although, the article goes on to say, "This principle can be modeled and has theoretical validity for simulations. However, there has been no large-scale statistical verification of the Peter Principle, and most evidence given for the axiom is intended to be humorous and is usually anecdotal."

I think Noory provides sufficient empirical evidence to validate the theory.

valdez

I didn't catch Hoagland.  I'm sure he was brilliant.  Joshua P. Warren is headed to Transylvania.  That's cool.  Linda Moutlon Howe should do her nights without Noory.  He adds nothing to her presentations.  That picture she posted on the c2c website of a ufo (a part of it) is very cool.  More talk about that NDAA law, and those evil Monsantos folks.  I guess George doesn't think we need to hear the other side of any of these issues.  I'm growing weary of that.

cool

I'd like to see Joshua Warren host a show.. I think he'd be really fun

11angeleyes11

At one time, not too many years ago and he still might, Joshua P. hosted a weekend paranormal show that was syndicated by Premiere.

Cool .. Love to hear him on a regular basis besides just his. 'paranormal moment' (a title that makes no sense)

Morgus

Looks like Noory is taking another unexpected Friday night off tonight, giving us another 3-day Noory-Free weekend.
Didn't he take off Friday just a couple weeks ago, plus his holiday week off?
Why not give Fridays regularly to another host Noory and just be done with it?  8)

Simone tonight during open lines may be decent... Chemtrails though..? Ugh

11angeleyes11

Quote from: Morgus on January 27, 2012, 10:02:08 AM
Looks like Noory is taking another unexpected Friday night off tonight, giving us another 3-day Noory-Free weekend.
Didn't he take off Friday just a couple weeks ago, plus his holiday week off?
Why not give Fridays regularly to another host Noory and just be done with it?  8)
Don't cry crocodile tears.  You will be able to make up missing time with Noory.  He will be back to host extra days when he picks up the first Friday in Feb.  Good Times!

He knows he sucks, so he's afraid to be away for long too often.  So he takes Friday's off here and there to use up vacation days.

Probably out investigating something paranormal, like... how to make it rain in Vegas..

VtaGeezer

Quote from: HorrorReporter on January 27, 2012, 11:46:37 AM
... Chemtrails though..? Ugh
Indeed.  You'd think maybe C2C producers could find something new in the universe.  Am I the only one who wonders why C2C just keeps recycling the same tired old stuff from Art B's early C2C topics in the 90s; chemtrails, HAARP, Hoagland, Quayle, et al for  15 f-ing years.  If they ever lost Bell's original guest roster, Noory would have only his medical quacks and off-shift counter staff from the Sedona New Age Center.

Is there nothing new out there?  Are there no discoveries? No new mysteries uncovered by archaeology?  How about the rumors of Templars in ancient America.  The Minnesota Runestone? What happened to the undersea anamoly found off Cuba a few years ago?  Noory's C2C is so grim, so desolate, so immersed in "spiritual" self-pity.  The producers are outrageously lazy and keep feeding us the same warmed-over porridge.  C2C has been on autopilot since Noory came aboard.   Please C2C...find something new to present..it's a big world.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 27, 2012, 03:17:26 PM
Indeed.  You'd think maybe C2C producers could find something new in the universe.  Am I the only one who wonders why C2C just keeps recycling the same tired old stuff from Art B's early C2C topics in the 90s; chemtrails, HAARP, Hoagland, Quayle, et al for  15 f-ing years.  If they ever lost Bell's original guest roster, Noory would have only his medical quacks and off-shift counter staff from the Sedona New Age Center.

Is there nothing new out there?  Are there no discoveries? No new mysteries uncovered by archaeology?  How about the rumors of Templars in ancient America.  The Minnesota Runestone? What happened to the undersea anamoly found off Cuba a few years ago?  Noory's C2C is so grim, so desolate, so immersed in "spiritual" self-pity.  The producers are outrageously lazy and keep feeding us the same warmed-over porridge.  C2C has been on autopilot since Noory came aboard.   Please C2C...find something new to present..it's a big world.

I've said it before, you can watch random episodes of "In Search Of" from 1977 and be more in-tune than you would be from listening to a year's worth of C2C in 2012. Premiere and Noory don't care, their "product" is like an assembly line, "Paranormal for Dummies" with starfucking and hammerhead politics thrown into the mix. Those rare nights where the show is remotely interesting is due to some cosmic fluke, and bet your last dollar that Noory ain't there.

Sardondi

Quote from: HorrorReporter on January 27, 2012, 11:46:37 AM... Chemtrails though..? Ugh

Is it me, or is C2C in the Noory Reich becoming more a show about fear mongering over current events and conspiracy theories, with a little new age spirituality thrown in for sweetening? As opposed to that good old pulpy richness of the paranormal/weird that is. Seems like it to me, especially since George now sees it as his mission to "educate" his audience. Ye gods and little fishes, the irony of that concept!

I personally prefer my escapist trash 100% pure, since I already spend a lot of time every day immersed in current events/political issues. Look, I don't come to C2C at 2:00-effing-a.m. to pick up insider info on what's "really going on in the world", especially from someone who just happens to be peddling a book they say I must buy if I don't want my family to die an agonizing, tortured death from catastrophic shortages of food/fuel/gold/silver/oxygen/land/medicine that we'll be facing when the earthquakes/asteroids/pole shift/tornadoes/floods/radiation/Bilderberger takeover/HAARP fallout/food additives finally hit us next month and the black helicopters begin to fly us to reincarnation camps in the desert.

Gimme the real garbage, the totally useless escapist fare about ghosties and ghoulies and monsters. But other than the UFO staple I see less and less of that kind of stuff in program descriptions.

Edit: Ah, it looks like Eddie Coyle addressed this before I got back to posting.

BobGrau

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 27, 2012, 03:17:26 PM
If they ever lost Bell's original guest roster, Noory would have only his medical quacks and off-shift counter staff from the Sedona New Age Center.

this seems to be the eventual goal.

Is there a thread for PremRad whistleblowers? there should be.

Citizen5510

Hi everyone I thought I should introduce myself, I'm not really the best communicator but I decided to join because the members here give me so much joy..I lmfao every time I stop in to see who's chatting and what they are saying always makes me laugh..very witty, smart group of people..so it's a little intimidating anyway Snoory does suck..on the up side I love the fineartstream..and am thankful for it..it gets harder every night to listen to C2C, I rarely do anymore..Where oh where is Art??
Cit