• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Main Menu

Veterans

Started by albrecht, March 30, 2016, 04:45:28 PM

albrecht

I can't believe this crap is still going on. I know it is nothing new throughout history, or here ("Bonus Army," post-Vietnam homelessness, etc.) But the cynical policies our government has, like secret waiting lists etc, but especially this policy about kicking people out of the service based on problems that, mainly, we've caused by multiple deployments, strange rules-of-engagement, and going to war in the first place and therefore save the VA money because they don't have to treat them, is awful and ultimately, as we've seen in suicides, family annihilators, homelessness, drug/alcohol abuse, etc, will only hurt all of society- not just veterans and their families. This and fake charities to help span the gap in government coverage should outrage everybody. At a MINIMUM as a start instead of spending millions in advertising and tributes at ball games and tv that money should be put into the VA (or give them "cadillac plans" with a private insurer.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/us/report-finds-sharp-increase-in-veterans-denied-va-benefits.html?_r=0

http://cdn.csgazette.biz/soldiers/day1.html

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on March 30, 2016, 04:45:28 PM
I can't believe this crap is still going on. I know it is nothing new throughout history, or here ("Bonus Army," post-Vietnam homelessness, etc.) But the cynical policies our government has, like secret waiting lists etc, but especially this policy about kicking people out of the service based on problems that, mainly, we've caused by multiple deployments, strange rules-of-engagement, and going to war in the first place and therefore save the VA money because they don't have to treat them, is awful and ultimately, as we've seen in suicides, family annihilators, homelessness, drug/alcohol abuse, etc, will only hurt all of society- not just veterans and their families. This and fake charities to help span the gap in government coverage should outrage everybody. At a MINIMUM as a start instead of spending millions in advertising and tributes at ball games and tv that money should be put into the VA (or give them "cadillac plans" with a private insurer.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/us/report-finds-sharp-increase-in-veterans-denied-va-benefits.html?_r=0

http://cdn.csgazette.biz/soldiers/day1.html

Thank you for posting this albrecht. I had spoken to MV about creating a Veterans thread for those of us BellGabbers that wanted to self identify. Not to be recognized, but as a meeting place to share information  And to reach out for help if need be. 23 veterans per day commit suicide. I hope and pray that never happens to a BellGabber.

I would like to see this thread stay alive, so I will self identify. 7 years, 11 months in the USAF. Enlisted for 6, extended for 23 months after 4 so I could cross train into computer programming. I served during the relative comfort of the Cold War. Never had to deploy overseas. I was stationed in Plattsburgh AFB, NY and Offutt AFB, NE. My tech schools were at Lowry in Denver and Keesler in Biloxi. I went in Dec 74 and separated Nov 82. Using my old VA benefits and USAF tuition assistance, I was able to get my degree right as my enlistment was coming to an end.

Over the next couple of days I will post about some discounts that I am aware of at various chains and an organization I joined that provided me with additional discounts. I will also summarize the Texas Hazlewood Act which provides up to 150 semester hours tuition and fees to a Texas Veteran. If the vet doesn't use it, they can designate a dependent. My daughter is attending Texas A&M right now using my benefits.

Semper Fly

GravitySucks

This organization negotiates discounts with major chains. There are discounts for airlines, Amtrak, hotels, major chain stores and various services. I have been a member since 2001. I have saved hundreds of dollars in airfares and could probably save more if I would use their directory before I went shopping or traveled.

There is a monthly fee, but that fee per month go down if you sign up for multiple years.

Check it out and see if it is for you. Open to anyone who has served. Not just retirees. Open to active duty as well. 

http://www.veteransadvantage.com

GravitySucks

If you are a veteran with an honorable discharge, and you are considered a Texas Veteran, you really need to check out this website. Texas provides up to 150 semester hours (tuition and fees) to any state school. If the veteran hasn't used their benefits, they can assign those benefits to a dependent as long as that dependent is younger than 25 years old.

With the dual credit courses my daughter took in high school, this should get her all the way through Grad school at Texas A&M.

http://www.tvc.texas.gov/Hazlewood-Act.aspx

GravitySucks

Another resource for Texas Veterans. Texas Veterans Land Board. Low interest loans for homes, home improvements and acreage with minimal closing fees. They also have closed bid  auctions twice per year of properties that have been repossessed.

I bought my acreage in Central Texas using one of these loans. Instead of having to put 20% down like a conventional acreage loan, I only had to put 5% down.

http://www.glo.texas.gov/vlb/land/

Note: If you have VA eligibility, you may do better getting a VA loan for a house, but VA loans cannot be used for acreage. 

GravitySucks

Little known discounts for veterans.

HomeDepot and Lowe's both offer a 10% discount to retirees if you show your ID.

They offer 10% on Memorial Day, July 4th and Veteran's Day weekends to prior service (not retirees).

Check their website for details. I use my Veteran's Advantage card as proof of service.  Now Texas lets you designate Veteran on your Drivers License. Otherwise you might have to carry in a copy of your DD 214.

GravitySucks

Combat Boots

I get all my safety toe boots from this organization. Their website tells you how much is donated to wounded warriors for each pair of boots.

Much higher quality boots than I ever had in the USAF. Very comfortable. Excellent customer service. Frequent sales.

http://www.bootcampaign.org

chefist

I'm a vet too...of course I'll support you guys!

chefist

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 30, 2016, 08:04:47 PM
Combat Boots

I get all my safety toe boots from this organization. Their website tells you how much is donated to wounded warriors for each pair of boots.

Much higher quality boots than I ever had in the USAF. Very comfortable. Excellent customer service. Frequent sales.

http://www.bootcampaign.org

I bought some boots from a roadside sale in the 1980's...clearly used and probably from the 1960's...best pair of combat boots I ever had! Comfortable and wore well for over 10 years! No idea which branch they were from, but they were the best!

My Brothers & Sisters in arms also have my support.
Thank You Albrecht for starting this thread.

It's like pulling teeth to get help from the VA if you need it. Much worse than the Hurry-up-N-wait when we were in. My heart goes out to those Vets that were exposed to the depleted Uranium - and the VA calls it PTSD instead of correctly identifying it as radiation poisoning.  The service would then be culpable to hundreds of thousands of vets if they admitted the truth. That's the main reason they won't admit what it really is.
I think their justification is that we were all government property when we were in, and anything that happened during that time, they're not responsible for. It's a cop-out and a shame.
It's also my belief that the VA is purposely underfunded.
The military was already cutting basic services to active duty personnel in the late '80's. (The services were still there, but it came out of your pay.)
Anyway, enough of my angst. I'm glad this thread was started. If the VA won't help us, we have to help each other. ;)

albrecht

To be clear I never was in any military branch but just outraged that this kind of treatment happens, even after exposes, news articles, etc- especially so when so much money is wasted on various crap with our tax dollars! And sincerely appreciate those who have, and do, serve. Regardless of the "rightness" of whatever wars or foreign policy. Even really sometimes not even on our side, but of course more on our side. So to be clear I haven't served, have many relatives who had (one who was attacked by us on his way from a Jap prison camp to even, ha- not a funny ha, but they crammed in captured POWs into ships to some other islands, I forget just now which, and we attacked them.) And stories of the Korean Conflict a-plenty over drinks with some relatives. But, me, I'm scot-free, but just outraged that this kind of treatment can still happen and why it isn't, maybe, the number one issue on the political trail. As GravitySucks mentions, which I almost cry mentioning, the number of suicides daily! WTF? How can this not outrage the nation? Sorry for the politics but we give FREE legal aide, healthcare, housing, education, EBT cards, etc to ILLEGALS or "refugees" but we allow waiting lists (sometimes fake) at VA clinics and a suicide rate for those veterans WE'VE caused, or at least acerbated, to have these problems?! For shame.
ps: sorry if I've politicized, the thread shouldn't be about that.

VtaGeezer

Yeah I'm a vet too.  Group hug.  The VA, 2nd only to DoD in size, is the creation of generations of hacks in Congress who set it up as a vast mine for easy PR by passing reams of self-serving legislation that look great on the local news but add little to the care needed by vets.  They make them hire from the bottom of the barrel, make it almost illegal to fire someone, then run for the TV cameras to scream "VA incompetence!!".  The current bunch promise the moon in press releases about their beloved vets, and then cut or strangle VA funding in committee because they're scared of being primaried or eviscerated on talk radio as big spenders.

Social Security, otoh, is very well run and gives excellent service for less than a 2% admin budget.  The VA won't even publish its overhead costs, but its the highest in govt.  I think vets deserving care should be put on Medicare, and in the public health care system except for uniquely service-related conditions that VA hospitals should specialize in.

onan

I started to post in this thread, literally minutes after Albrecht originally posted, then decided not to do so, primarily because I didn't want to bitch yet again.

To paraphrase a statement by Stewart Mckinney, the VA is too big to fix. And the problem originates with the hacks Vta mentions. I remember when VA hospitals would see and treat any veteran with any medical problem. If it weren't for the VA my father would have died a decade earlier than he did (had he not drowned, he may have lived much longer.) Take your pick on who to hate regarding the cut backs in spending for the VA. Yes the VA has done a terrible job in managing veterans in need and seeking aid. Yes the people that were put in charge of handling, managing, and planning the care for veterans did a terrible job and no one truly held anyone accountable.

I don't know how many of you have visited or used the VA hospitals for help, I can tell you that many people doing the day to day work (those in actual health care) are by and large like the staff at any hospital, some good and others not so much. I can tell you that, from my experience, the people that work in the clerical end demonstrate less enthusiasm than they probably do when getting a root canal.

The VA probably can be fixed to some measure that most can agree upon; but it will take a whole bunch of money.

Suicide has been a serious concern for generations. More Vietnam soldiers have died by suicide than were killed in Vietnam. About 55,000 died in Vietnam. It may be worse for those who served during the Korean War. In fact out of all veterans that commit suicide, 7 out of 10 are over the age of 50. I was told I would be respected when I returned to civilian life. I was told my training would help me secure employment. Neither of those two statements were true.

The fact is the military recruits people that are just that, people. And many of the people recruited are those with few other options, not the best coping skills, and many with dysfunctional substance use. Compound those issues with combat and a stew of mental illness may well be the end product. All of that will someday end up at a VA hospital.

I don't want to derail this thread. I don't want it to be about specific illnesses and treatment. I just wanted to paint a picture of why the VA has problems outside the system, itself.

No question the medical care side of the VA needs to be abolished. My care has ranged from abysmal to fair. For the most part, my head shrinkers seem to genuinely care, but his/her caseload is staggering. My GP barely speaks English and couldn`t give a warm piss in the wind weather I croak tomorrow.

Getting an appointment is next to impossible, and if you do, sometimes they just randomly cancel it! With all the bad press the VA is getting, you`d think they would try to appear like they give a shit. No such luck. Every single time I have to go down to the VA clinic, there`s a freakin` line out the door to check in. The people behind the desk are in N O  H U R R Y at all. yuckin` it up with their buddies while sick vets stand in line waiting patiently. Makes me sick!

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 30, 2016, 07:53:30 PM
Little known discounts for veterans.

HomeDepot and Lowe's both offer a 10% discount to retirees if you show your ID.

They offer 10% on Memorial Day, July 4th and Veteran's Day weekends to prior service (not retirees).

Check their website for details. I use my Veteran's Advantage card as proof of service.  Now Texas lets you designate Veteran on your Drivers License. Otherwise you might have to carry in a copy of your DD 214.

Wow. Had no idea about Lowes and Home Depot....two of my favorite places on earth.

GravitySucks

I hope I never have to use the VA medical system. When I got out in 1982, it was available to me as a safety net, but I was fortunate enough have employer provided health insurance until the last few years.

When I got laid off, I had COBRA coverage for 18 months. When that was close to ending, I joined one of the faith-based health sharing plans that are specifically included as alternatives to Obamacare.

Luckily, I had no pre-existing conditions and I am not on any prescribed medications.

For me to qualify for VA coverage, I would have to see if I qualified for the coverage by filling out financial disclosures and taking their means test. When I got out in 1982 there was no means test.

I am not going to submit myself to the VA medical system unless It is a last, and I mean last resort.

In my estate planning though, I have designated that I want to be buried in the nearest VA Cemetary. That is one benefit I will try and delay using, but I think it is silly not to take advantage of it.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 31, 2016, 07:11:36 AM
Wow. Had no idea about Lowes and Home Depot....two of my favorite places on earth.
Actually guys, ask at every retail store or restaurant you go to. There are quite of few places that don't advertise it but actually do give veterans discounts on their services. It's generally in the area of 5-15%. You'll need to carry your ID. It never hurts to ask.

GravitySucks

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on April 02, 2016, 09:40:13 PM
Actually guys, ask at every retail store or restaurant you go to. There are quite of few places that don't advertise it but actually do give veterans discounts on their services. It's generally in the area of 5-15%. You'll need to carry your ID. It never hurts to ask.

Thanks SL5. Texas passed a law that lets you get "Veteran" printed on your license with your DD214. This year I get to renew my license and get that (If I can pass the vision test). It will make life easier for me. I am not retired and I didn't take the disability that I could have, so I don't have an ID. Generally I can convince people with my Veteran's Advantage card.

triola

I was in from '67 to '71.  After I got out, I didn't want anything more to do with the military, VA or any branch of the government.

I went to work for GTE, which had union health coverage though CWA. Later, I joined SMWIA which provided health coverage all the way to retirement, upon which medicare took over.

What I've heard first hand from friends in the VA system and from what I've read, sometimes you're lucky and get good care and sometimes you don't. Either way, 'timely' care is a rarity.

That's a far cry from medicare, where you can choose your own Drs., hospitals, surgeons and there's no waiting list (and if you're smart enough to dial up the right supplemental, you're never out of pocket for anything).

Vets should have medicare from the gate, none of this business of waiting lists and bush-league practitioners along with all the flag-wavers in congress failing to fund medical for the very Vets they talk so highly of but forget as soon as the current election cycle is over.

If we can afford the wars, we can afford top-flight medical for those that serve, no funding arguments necessary, just put it on the bill.

albrecht

I don't if regional differences, different expectations, changes to system, or changes in charachter but I've know two people specifically who constantly praised the VA. One used to laugh and say, in jest after Manhattans about they saved his life n amazed that decades later he still "getting paid for a few years In Korea," (because he had to have a lot of cardiac work done.) Another guy I knew also, as a kid, couldnt say enough good things about the Army and VA. He was at D-Day but wouldnt talk about it. Also he didnt know his birthday, as an aside, but recruiter 'gave him one' when he wanted to join up. An orphan passed around between family in rural Virginia n ran away to join up. Nothing but praise for VA, back then. But, again, he literally before that was passed from extended family to tenuous connections if they had some extra $ to spare or needed free labor. In his old age whe. eI knew him he was still just appreciating the meals Army fed him! And the VA was like a, folks would say now WTF, for him. Awesome thing. And sorta still confused/amazed that he made out so well.

pate

Quote from: VtaGeezer on March 31, 2016, 01:43:35 AM
Yeah I'm a vet too.  Group hug.  The VA, 2nd only to DoD in size, is the creation of generations of hacks in Congress who set it up as a vast mine for easy PR by passing reams of self-serving legislation that look great on the local news but add little to the care needed by vets.  They make them hire from the bottom of the barrel, make it almost illegal to fire someone, then run for the TV cameras to scream "VA incompetence!!".  The current bunch promise the moon in press releases about their beloved vets, and then cut or strangle VA funding in committee because they're scared of being primaried or eviscerated on talk radio as big spenders.

Social Security, otoh, is very well run and gives excellent service for less than a 2% admin budget.  The VA won't even publish its overhead costs, but its the highest in govt.  I think vets deserving care should be put on Medicare, and in the public health care system except for uniquely service-related conditions that VA hospitals should specialize in.

I feel bad for calling you a Commie (my backspace/delete is sticky) all calls even, bro?

My unit size, second only in impotence, again forgive...

pate

Quote from: onan on March 31, 2016, 05:55:17 AM
I started to post in this thread, literally minutes after xyz...

Yeah, after that exchange.

Color me mauvais, I get medical help.

Stab me colorful, well... I get VA help.

Onan, sir.

Voice of raison d'etre often aren't William Hurd herr oberfuher the others...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdsTABz2PaM

Didna verstandig, but dig it!

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: GravitySucks on March 30, 2016, 05:30:08 PM
Thank you for posting this albrecht. I had spoken to MV about creating a Veterans thread for those of us BellGabbers that wanted to self identify. Not to be recognized, but as a meeting place to share information  And to reach out for help if need be. 23 veterans per day commit suicide. I hope and pray that never happens to a BellGabber.

I would like to see this thread stay alive, so I will self identify. 7 years, 11 months in the USAF. Enlisted for 6, extended for 23 months after 4 so I could cross train into computer programming. I served during the relative comfort of the Cold War. Never had to deploy overseas. I was stationed in Plattsburgh AFB, NY and Offutt AFB, NE. My tech schools were at Lowry in Denver and Keesler in Biloxi. I went in Dec 74 and separated Nov 82. Using my old VA benefits and USAF tuition assistance, I was able to get my degree right as my enlistment was coming to an end.

Over the next couple of days I will post about some discounts that I am aware of at various chains and an organization I joined that provided me with additional discounts. I will also summarize the Texas Hazlewood Act which provides up to 150 semester hours tuition and fees to a Texas Veteran. If the vet doesn't use it, they can designate a dependent. My daughter is attending Texas A&M right now using my benefits.

Semper Fly
[/?quote]

Semper Fly? FLY???
Lol suck what? Fuck a bunch of all that. Friggin retard.
I'm a "veteran" ... AND maniac. BECAUSE of what I've done, things and unforgiven pathetic "accomplishments" for "our country" AND  not proud of any of it.
Sheep. THINK.

pate

Quote from: Gumby, Dammit on April 04, 2016, 04:08:36 AM
Semper Fly? FLY???
I'm a "veteran" ... AND maniac. BECAUSE of what I've done, things and unforgiven pathetic "accomplishments" for "our country" AND  not proud of any of it.
Sheep. THINK.

Dammint, Gumby...

SemperFly is a USAF sort of "come and stab me in the nutz(if you can find'em') kinda intar-army "hello."

Recall (don't go loggin' naow, just a typo-graphical anglix op4-phraseologie), that the OP wuz an USAF (US-Ava-Fagina) or some suck "vet'ran"...  Nefer her Nethers.

When I try to start a fight with a Gy-rene I typically kick 'em in the lady stuff.

I don't go startin' no fights with vet'rans, whether they be a Marine or former manly hockey player,  Carly?  Manly?  Not that all Man-rines are fit to be hockey or figure skaters...  skaturz.  sawry...

C'mon, old man Gums.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Gumby, Dammit on April 04, 2016, 04:08:36 AM
Quote from: GravitySucks on March 30, 2016, 05:30:08 PM

Semper Fly

Semper Fly? FLY???
Sheep. THINK.

Glad your here Gumby. Dammit.

serenity

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on April 05, 2016, 11:57:09 PM
Gumby, you're a bone-head, dammit.
But this, this is utterly reprehensible:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/18/obama-warned-about-va-wait-time-problems-during-20/?page=all#pagebreak

Ok, I wasn't going to post. Got nothing much to say. Self disclose Retired, 38 years (16 active the rest Reserve and IRR 2 wars numerous conflicts) The New Orleans Veterans Medical center was slow as is the system. Took me 2 years to finally get a determination. Did get care while waiting. After Katrina the hospital closed and if it wasnt for the local clinic here in town the system would really suck worse than it does.  The local clinic took up the slack until the Hospital closed and now it's over run ( Seems SE Louisiana is chock full of vets Ooh Ra!) Being retired is a boon as I can hit up my own flight surgeon and doctors but the VA folks seem to have to wait forever just to be seen. The VA "choice" program would help but we have few local doctors in the area that accept it. (they are also Tricare Doctors like I use).  The problem is that the doctors are full up with patients and can't or aren't accepting new ones. I do have to admit though that I didn't experience the problems or any of the horror stories that I have heard so much about. I relied on the DAV and American Legion for help and they seemed to come through. I stick to the Tricare system these days being retired and leave the VA system to those that need it. If your not a member of the DAV or American Legion yet I suggest that you join.If you are of the Special Operations background like I am, there are numerous org's that will also help grease the skids. Any other links that I find I will put here.

Have a Gud'un

GravitySucks

Happy Veteran's Day for all who served.

Happy because next year we will have a president that respects our service.