• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

HumanBeing

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 13, 2015, 10:58:57 PM
For me, she's just too amateur.  Her voice, her delivery, her instincts, her rapport with the guest.  She really comes across like one of the kids at the college's radio station.  They mean well, they have some talent, and they can talk, but all that doesn't make for a professional.  The difference is they're getting their training.  They're going to make mistakes.  She, on the other hand, is already on a professional show.  So, many people, though obviously not all, will expect more.  She has an in with Art, and maybe that's because of her parents or whatever, but he's being generous.  Or maybe just wants the contrast to be great between himself and his successor.  Can she get better in time?  Sure.  Given enough time and opportunity, probably anyone with the basic talent can.  But I won't be listening, and neither will the people I know.  So, her support here may help get her through.  Or not.

I see what you are saying but at this point it kind of seems like you are on a personal crusade of sorts to steadily repeat your opinion over and over  :P

Only time will tell. Keith is going to keep the ship afloat for at least another month, the last I heard. So it is up to her now to do her best, give it a shot and quickly develop some on-air chops.

trostol

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 13, 2015, 11:02:48 PM
That's what's funny to me -- many people have torn into Connie Willis, Lisa Garr, etc. and what I heard last night and a few months ago certainly was no better, if not worse.

Connie wouldnt be bad if she didnt both sound high (like Garr) and giggled all the damn time

[sic]

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 13, 2015, 10:58:57 PM
For me, she's just too amateur.  Her voice, her delivery, her instincts, her rapport with the guest.  She really comes across like one of the kids at the college's radio station.  They mean well, they have some talent, and they can talk, but all that doesn't make for a professional.  The difference is they're getting their training.  They're going to make mistakes.  She, on the other hand, is already on a professional show.  So, many people, though obviously not all, will expect more.  She has an in with Art, and maybe that's because of her parents or whatever, but he's being generous.  Or maybe just wants the contrast to be great between himself and his successor.  Can she get better in time?  Sure.  Given enough time and opportunity, probably anyone with the basic talent can.  But I won't be listening, and neither will the people I know.  So, her support here may help get her through.  Or not.

I think you made the best point.

Heather/redacted is not a professional radio host. She has not done this for decades like Art has done. So yes, she is going to suck at it. I think her support is just from her being a bellgab mainstay (pre-producer role).  If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck...then she is going to host like a new producer. Nothing wrong with giving her a chance but it is what it is. To be honest it's BS that Art would lead her on with this gig when I'm sure she gave up a lot to do it. It's a small team they have but sounds like she had the most to loose if it didn't work out.

Gassy Man

Quote from: HumanBeing on December 13, 2015, 11:05:18 PM

I see what you are saying but at this point it kind of seems like you are on a personal crusade of sorts to steadily repeat your opinion over and over  :P

Only time will tell. Keith is going to keep the ship afloat for at least another month, the last I heard. So it is up to her now to do her best, give it a shot and quickly develop some on-air chops.
The only reason for that is because the original opinion got derailed with all the personal attacks. 

Look at it this way:  A not-so-smart person will get defensive and come out swinging, name-calling, throwing a fit, etc.  That's all they know.  A smart person, though, will listen to the criticism, think about it, and if possible, act to improve on their weaknesses.  People throwing about support for someone who is not ready are not doing her a favor.  All the fawning and platitudes just mask the real problems.   If Heather is a bright person -- and I suspect she is -- she will pay more attention to the people telling her what she is doing wrong than the ones who are just saying she's great or whatever when she isn't there yet.  Unless there are enough of the latter to keep the show on the air, I suppose.  I doubt it.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: rekcuf on December 13, 2015, 10:54:41 PM
Being popular persona on BellGab isn't enough.

why do you hate jesus?  and christmas?

[sic]

Quote from: HumanBeing on December 13, 2015, 11:05:18 PM

So forums are meant to regurgitate other's opinions than your own?

HumanBeing

Quote from: [sic] on December 13, 2015, 11:14:22 PM
So forums are meant to regurgitate other's opinions than your own?

Yeah, didn't you read the TOS.

Gassy Man

Quote from: [sic] on December 13, 2015, 11:11:46 PM
I think you made the best point.

Heather/redacted is not a professional radio host. She has not done this for decades like Art has done. So yes, she is going to suck at it. I think her support is just from her being a bellgab mainstay (pre-producer role).  If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck...then she is going to host like a new producer. Nothing wrong with giving her a chance but it is what it is. To be honest it's BS that Art would lead her on with this gig when I'm sure she gave up a lot to do it. It's a small team they have but sounds like she had the most to loose if it didn't work out.
Appreciate that.  And I think you're right, including that so much of the support is because people feel they know her personally, or maybe do.  But the show doesn't have 20 years to get her ready, right?  It's essentially going to go on life support when Art disappears.  In some ways, it's wrong that Art chose someone who wasn't ready.  It sets her and the show up for failure, and it keeps someone with more talent from stepping into the role.  I'm all for the gifted amateur.   I wish she was more of that than just amateur.  We're being told that if Midnight in the Desert goes down, the whole network folds, or at least I've read that in a few places.  If that's true, then a lot is at stake to just give an amateur her dreamshot.

[sic]

Quote from: HumanBeing on December 13, 2015, 11:18:13 PM
Yeah, didn't you read the TOS.

Damn! I always forget to do that.  Probably why I never get that money from my Nigerian Prince friend.

Gassy Man

Quote from: trostol on December 13, 2015, 11:06:32 PM
Connie wouldnt be bad if she didnt both sound high (like Garr) and giggled all the damn time
It's odd to me that this and the other show keep attracting people who just aren't very good at talking.

HumanBeing

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 13, 2015, 11:12:45 PM
The only reason for that is because the original opinion got derailed with all the personal attacks. 

Look at it this way:  A not-so-smart person will get defensive and come out swinging, name-calling, throwing a fit, etc.  That's all they know.  A smart person, though, will listen to the criticism, think about it, and if possible, act to improve on their weaknesses.  People throwing about support for someone who is not ready are not doing her a favor.  All the fawning and platitudes just mask the real problems.   If Heather is a bright person -- and I suspect she is -- she will pay more attention to the people telling her what she is doing wrong than the ones who are just saying she's great or whatever when she isn't there yet.  Unless there are enough of the latter to keep the show on the air, I suppose.  I doubt it.

Unfortunately there will always be little digs and jabs if someone feels strongly against your opinions. Just got to ignore it or have some fun with it.
It seemed like you enjoyed the ad hominem attacks and didn't take them to heart. Plus it made you money  ;D

HumanBeing

Quote from: [sic] on December 13, 2015, 11:19:54 PM
Damn! I always forget to do that.  Probably why I never get that money from my Nigerian Prince friend.

Never give up. Your soulmate is out there waiting for you. Stare at the lovely moon some night and realize your soulmate has done the same thinking of you.

Quote from: HumanBeing on December 13, 2015, 11:24:07 PM
Never give up. Your soulmate is out there waiting for you. Stare at the lovely moon some night and realize your soulmate has done the same thinking of you.

BellGab -"drowning in semen since 1939"

Gassy Man

Quote from: HumanBeing on December 13, 2015, 11:22:29 PM

Unfortunately there will always be little digs and jabs if someone feels strongly against your opinions. Just got to ignore it or have some fun with it.
It seemed like you enjoyed the ad hominem attacks and didn't take them to heart. Plus it made you money  ;D
I'm glad you caught that, haha.  ;D  No, I truly wasn't bothered.  This is part of what I do for a living, teaching people how to argue, and I've been doing it for a long time.  You can't teach argumentation without getting into arguments.   And while what I wrote was truthful, I did offer things that I assumed would push some people's buttons -- and they did. 

I do think the personal attacks, though, are just silly.  But, hey, that's just all some people know.  Or ever will.  You just learn to accept that without losing your cool.  But if that's all anyone can offer, the discussions quickly get boring.

By the way, I also call into local radio programs and go round and round.  I post in talk backs here and there.  And I sometimes post things I don't necessarily support, but just to stir up the pot.   It's kind of like a boxer sparring to keep in shape for the fight. 

HumanBeing

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 13, 2015, 11:32:55 PM
I'm glad you caught that, haha.  ;D  No, I truly wasn't bothered.  This is part of what I do for a living, teaching people how to argue, and I've been doing it for a long time.  You can't teach argumentation without getting into arguments.   And while what I wrote was truthful, I did offer things that I assumed would push some people's buttons -- and they did. 

I do think the personal attacks, though, are just silly.  But, hey, that's just all some people know.  Or ever will.  You just learn to accept that without losing your cool.  But if that's all anyone can offer, the discussions quickly get boring.

By the way, I also call into local radio programs and go round and round.  I post in talk backs here and there.  And I sometimes post things I don't necessarily support, but just to stir up the pot.   It's kind of like a boxer sparring to keep in shape for the fight.

I've enjoyed the exchanges you had and have learned a few things as well. One of them being never to get into a debate with you  :P

But I agree with the jest of your message and I see a lot of benefit in people playing the devil's advocate or stating differing opinions just for the sake of consideration.
This forum would suck if everyone was just parroting each other.

Gassy Man

Quote from: HumanBeing on December 13, 2015, 11:47:07 PM

I've enjoyed the exchanges you had and have learned a few things as well. One of them being never to get into a debate with you  :P

But I agree with the jest of your message and I see a lot of benefit in people playing the devil's advocate or stating differing opinions just for the sake of consideration.
This forum would suck if everyone was just parroting each other.
Haha, thanks.  But when you take shady tactics like ad hominems and straw man off the table, there's usually nowhere for a person without reason to go.  That makes it easy.   :)

Dateline

Here is another angle.  I am flustered from the perspective that we are left with an amateur and are supposed to be overjoyed when Art may make an occasional fill-in or not. 

I enjoy Art.  This is not about Heather, it would be anyone with limited experience.  To have that option, as the only option, when there are so many talented people in the genre compromises my experience as a listener.  For me to continue as an avid listener probably will not happen.  I may occasionally listen, but it will not be a habit. 

Auslandia

Quote from: Dateline on December 14, 2015, 12:50:15 AM
Here is another angle.  I am flustered from the perspective that we are left with an amateur and are supposed to be overjoyed when Art may make an occasional fill-in or not. 

I enjoy Art.  This is not about Heather, it would be anyone with limited experience.  To have that option, as the only option, when there are so many talented people in the genre compromises my experience as a listener.  For me to continue as an avid listener probably will not happen.  I may occasionally listen, but it will not be a habit.

That's exactly why I'm not continuing my subscription.  Listening to someone who isn't professional/experienced isn't really something I'm willing to pay for.  I don't see a point.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: MV on December 13, 2015, 11:12:59 PM
why do you hate jesus?  and christmas?

Because Jesus was a liberal! Isn't that enough?  :)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 13, 2015, 11:12:45 PM
If Heather is a bright person -- and I suspect she is -- she will pay more attention to the people telling her what she is doing wrong than the ones who are just saying she's great

...because? The people who say she's wrong come from a stronger authoritative base than those who say she's doing okay? Is that your premise?

BellBoy

Quote from: BellBoy on December 13, 2015, 01:18:12 PM
...It was, apparently, more important for you, to put yourself forward as a pedantic asshat. Well done.

Argumentum ad hominem, blah, blah, blah... No, simply an impartial observation. You sir, are an asshat. Ask any of your students.  ;)

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 13, 2015, 11:54:27 PM
...when you take shady tactics like ad hominems and straw man off the table, there's usually nowhere for a person without reason to go.  That makes it easy.   :)

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 13, 2015, 10:37:12 PM
Hey, look in the mirror if you want to find the same thing.

Quote from: BellBoy on December 13, 2015, 01:18:12 PM
...A competent orator knows when best to shut the fuck up and let the opposing side bury themselves in inconsistency...

;)

Ya'll just got the shit trolled out of you by Falkie.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 14, 2015, 01:16:56 AM
Because Jesus was a liberal! Isn't that enough?  :)

back when liberals were liberals.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: MV on December 14, 2015, 01:34:46 AM
back when liberals were liberals.
and they passed around swimming pools full of free wine, and tons of fish sandwiches.

Gumby, Dammit

Quote from: HedgehogNorman on December 14, 2015, 01:29:14 AM
Ya'll just got the shit trolled out of you by Falkie.

Heh yeah cool...saved me from havin to take a dump

Gassy Man

Quote from: Dateline on December 14, 2015, 12:50:15 AM

Excellent points.