• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151211 - Brendon Tarpley - Time Traveler

Started by FLLFlash, December 11, 2015, 11:07:20 PM

aldousburbank

Quote from: WildCard on December 12, 2015, 03:48:19 PM
What was the bumper music at the beginning? She played it again at the bottom of the hour.
Kind of Roy Orbison but not Roy Orbison. "I don't want to fall in love again(?), but not Carl Perkins.
Chris Issak, Wicked Game.

Ciardelo

Quote from: WildCard on December 12, 2015, 03:48:19 PM
What was the bumper music at the beginning? She played it again at the bottom of the hour.
Kind of Roy Orbison but not Roy Orbison. "I don't want to fall in love again(?), but not Carl Perkins.
Let me introduce you to: Art's Charts: Midnight in the Desert Bumper Music

Man this sucks and now there is a flood of trolls.

WildCard

Quote from: aldousburbank on December 12, 2015, 04:03:14 PM

I need to to penalized for not knowing that. I love that song.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: nooryisawesome on December 12, 2015, 04:15:52 PM
Man this sucks and now there is a flood of trolls.

Now?  They've been here since yesterday.  Clearly they are titillated by Art's announcement.

csummers

TSK If she ever gets past the TSK lip smack talker problem then TSK maybe she will TSK be okay in the TSK long run. TSK, hard to listen to that TSK constantly.
Lip smack talkers dont last on radio. Usually they get rid of that nasty habit during broadcast journalism school and I am surprised she still has it. Hopefully it will be eliminated or she could go to gum chewing and popping to hide it.
UUUUUUH kinda reminds me uuuuuuuuuh, of uuuuuuuuh Ian uhhhhhhh Punnett and his uuuuuuuh habit.

Ciardelo

Quote from: csummers on December 12, 2015, 04:33:39 PM
TSK If she ever gets past the TSK lip smack talker problem then TSK maybe she will TSK be okay in the TSK long run. TSK, hard to listen to that TSK constantly.
Lip smack talkers dont last on radio. Usually they get rid of that nasty habit during broadcast journalism school and I am surprised she still has it. Hopefully it will be eliminated or she could go to gum chewing and popping to hide it.
UUUUUUH kinda reminds me uuuuuuuuuh, of uuuuuuuuh Ian uhhhhhhh Punnett and his uuuuuuuh habit.
So, what can you do but bitch and moan about it? It's a done deal man. :)

zmbabwe

Quote from: onan on December 12, 2015, 09:29:49 AM
Maybe that isn't what Art wanted.

Well, it isn't his show anymore, is it? 

ItsOver

Quote from: aldousburbank on December 12, 2015, 04:03:14 PM
When Time Traveler dude started breaking-up, I thought Heather was going to turn MIDT into "The Chris Issak All The Time" broadcast.  That's when Art took pity and called-in.  What a freaking mess.

Oleus

this is really depressing. 

i guess i picked the right time to accept a job offer.   it's been a fun few months staying up with you guys.    i mostly lurk but sometimes post.

i don't know what to think of all this really.

Oleus

i actually got to hear some of last night's show with Heather but wasn't in here to know what was going on.   

i thought she sounded fine.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: ItsOver on December 12, 2015, 04:55:31 PM
When Time Traveler dude started breaking-up, I thought Heather was going to turn MIDT into "The Chris Issak All The Time" broadcast.  That's when Art took pity and called-in.  What a freaking mess.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Oleus on December 12, 2015, 05:38:36 PM
i actually got to hear some of last night's show with Heather but wasn't in here to know wha was going on.   

i thought she sounded fine.
Yeah well, that probably means you're not playing genius level like the rest of a bunch of Einsteins around here.  :P
Welcome. Lurk often.

ItsOver

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on December 12, 2015, 05:52:17 PM

Ha! A perfect song for Isaak.  I believe that album also has "I've Got the Dave Noorie Blues."

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: ItsOver on December 12, 2015, 05:55:42 PM
Ha! A perfect song for Isaak.  I believe that album also has "I've Got the Dave Noorie Blues."

Freyja

FWIW, let me throw my couple of cents in.

I have just finished trying to catch up on the latest happenings with Art and listened to last night's show.

As many of you have posted, none of this makes any sense.

Art apparently quits because his family is in danger, yet he comes back on the air after he announces his reasons for quitting,  despite his reason for quitting is allegedly that being on the air puts his family in danger and is traumatizing his daughter.  Then, he basically takes over the show, steers it, interviews the guest, calls breaks and names Heather the new host of MITD....and then he signs off.

So how does any of the above make any sense?!?!

Where were Airyn and Asia while he was on the air last night?

Was he not concerned about his/their safety by making this move? ...Asia hiding in her room?!?!

Were Heather's difficulties with the show at the start more important to motivate him to get on the air with her, than allegedly his families safety?...the reason for him quitting?!?!?

I give Heather Wade huge kudos for taking the show on last night...this must have been very high pressure and most difficult.

That said, after hearing her initial interview with Art before MITD debuted, and  then the show Art had her on as a pseudo co-host which many balked at ( and Art nixed her role in that), I have to say she would serve much better in a role with Art Bell as Robin is to Howard Stern.

I trust that Heather is savvy, smart and has a relatively nice voice, however IMHO her tone, approach and manner doesn't suit a venue as sole host for a late night intimate program like what we have experienced with Art.

Sorry Heather, I wish you more than well, however I won't be paying for any subscription with you hosting MITD. Not sure if I will even listen on any regular basis except when I'm awake on my local radio station until they cancel the show with this new development.

I am also so sorry for all the other causalities of this latest news: Keith Rowland and DMDN which seems to be done according to what RCH and Keith are alluding to, all the other podcast folks on DMDN etc.

What a total F*** up.

There was no other way for Art Bell to handle this with ensuring safety to his family and keeping MITD going with him in his chair?!?!?....

As Art has said many times, "Nothing is as it Seems" and sadly I think this may be one of those times..... :(   

Good luck Art...I wish you and your family well. I thank you for more than 2 decades of taking that ride with you.

For me, the ride is over.

Art has jerked his audience around one too many times for me this go round....and this latest one just broke this camel's back  :(   

JSchool

Sorry Art, I  love ya and maybe what you say is true, but this is like your fifth retirement under strange circumstances.  I can only swallow so many shovels of excuses before I call bullshit.

Hrothgar88

Good job Heather thought you did a great job...  ;)

Auslandia

Quote from: Hrothgar88 on December 12, 2015, 08:05:38 PM

Stop blowing smoke up her ass.  She did about as well as anyone with no radio experience would do.  It was boring and amateurish.  She seems perfectly nice but not everybody is cut out to be a show host. If you can't hear the difference you're either clueless or kidding yourself.

Claudius

Quote from: Auslandia on December 12, 2015, 08:54:29 PM
Stop blowing smoke up her ass.  She did about as well as anyone with no radio experience would do.  It was boring and amateurish.  She seems perfectly nice but not everybody is cut out to be a show host. If you can't hear the difference you're either clueless or kidding yourself.
Most are simply kidding themselves and it's understandable, they desperately want Art back and they know her so they can't speak the truth.  :-\

Auslandia

Quote from: Claudius on December 12, 2015, 09:00:47 PM
Most are simply kidding themselves and it's understandable, they desperately want Art back and they know her so they can't speak the truth.  :-\

It's not her fault.  She's just in the middle of a ridiculous situation.  The whole thing should just go away.  If Heather wants to host a show she can do a podcast or something.

Hrothgar88

Quote from: Auslandia on December 12, 2015, 08:54:29 PM

First off not blowing smoke up anyones ass. Second for someone with no expierence she did a good job and yes she is no Art Bell and there is a difference. Third if you can do better wise ass then take a crack at and see what ya got.. I know i dont..

Chronaut

I understand people feeling confused, angry, and sad about this terrible turn of events.  But instead of focusing on the guilty parties - the assholes behind the insane stalking and firearm incidents at his home - too many so-called "fans" are lashing out at Art and Heather.

Art and his family are the victims here.  For them it's a life-and-death situation.  For us it's a disappointing inconvenience at worst.  Piling on with the "Oh I knew this was gonna happen!!" and "he's lying about all of this for (xyz ridiculous reason)" only makes you look stupid, paranoid, and selfish.  And it adds insult to injury against Art, who's in fear for his life and his family right now.

And Heather somehow managed to step up to keep the lights on when the show was suddenly about to blink out of existence.  I can't imagine how she managed to summon the courage and the willpower to get on that mic last night, especially with the widespread waves of outrage and accusations flying around both here and on Art's facebook page.  It must've felt like walking in front of a firing squad.  But she pulled it off with grace and tact, and somehow got all of the technical issues worked out before airtime.  Incredible.

These are great people and I'm sticking with them.  If Keith sinks the ship then so be it, but I hope everyone can just take a deep breath and see if we can keep this ship afloat until the smoke clears.

This is a rotten situation.  There's a psycho with a gun stalking our favorite broadcaster.  This is not the time to bitch and whine and throw a ridiculously selfish tantrum over a $5 refund.  If you want out, then shut up and leave, nobody's stopping you.

But as long as a little patience, reflection, and strength of character has a chance of pulling the ashes of this catastrophe back together, then I for one am all in.

CornyCrow

Quote from: Sean92008 on December 12, 2015, 12:51:43 AM
Well...  The wife may be an issue.  Art had a lot of money (and hopefully still does) and maybe she's playing nice 'til the old man dies and maybe it's taking too long for her boyfriend back in the P.I.

Having been raised in San Diego (a Navy town), having gone to schools where the Filipinos ruled the roost, knowing the families, having a short marriage that ended up being for citizenship, the BF back home stuff is pretty common.  My friend (a guy from here with Filipino ancestry) is going through it now.  His wife's old boyfriend convinced her to move out BEFORE their next interview for her green card.  He's afraid they'll bust him if he tells the truth.

So, if Art gets killed, I'd be watching what goes on and where the money flows.
I thought the Philippines was structured with well to do families in walled compounds with a lot of household help and then the common people.  I think her family is one of the 'better' ones.  I don't think she really needs his bucks, even though he probably has a lot more than she does. 

CornyCrow

Quote from: kingotnw on December 12, 2015, 12:54:05 AM
I got it too. It offers refunds even.

I wasn't going to take mine, but after this slap in the face tonight I'm going to.
I got no email about cancellation, just a change of password. 

Quote from: Hrothgar88 on December 12, 2015, 08:05:38 PM
Agreed

Gotta comment on the avatar Hrothgar.
Bloody freakin sweet.
Wolfs Head Berserkers that carry Thor's Hammer 
Awesome !