• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dreamland with Whitley Strieber

Started by Sundowner, November 02, 2014, 09:04:06 AM

Sundowner

Yea, I know. Art Bell did it better.

Anyways, I find myself really enjoying Whitley Strieber hosting Dreamland. I think this is much better than the current Coast to Coast AM.  Like almost anything on these programs, you have to suspend your disbelief and I think once you do that Whitley is more tolerable. This forum has an extreme hatred towards George Noory for ruining Coast, but what about the current state of Dreamland? I don't see much discussion of what became of Art's other show. Any other listeners? I'm curious of everyone's opinions.

Ciao!

Juan

It is the opinion of many here that Jackstar is an ass.  He was banned twice.  I'm surprised he's back. Don't take him personally.

I like Whitley's version of Dreamland reasonably well.

cweb

Quote from: area51drone on November 02, 2014, 03:21:37 PM
whitley
Creep factor 11.

Which is my general feeling about Whitley. Interesting, but a bit too creepy.

henge0stone

Instead of coming up with a whole new show name, why not take dreamland back> Its not like Whitely is really doing anything with it.

Wintermute

Unknown Country looks active to me, and the last Dreamland podcast was 6 days ago. He had a blog post about 5 days ago. So I am not sure what you mean by Whitley not doing anything. Dreamland is squarely in the UFO / strange beings topic. It's by design since that is Whitley's marketing theme for his previous books and what-not. And Dreamland does not broadcast live.

I can't speak for Art Bell, but I will bet:
1. He would like to do other stuff than UFOs and Linda Moulton Howe pseudo-news interviews.
2. Whitley, by now, probably owns the entirety of the trademark and media property.
3. Bell has already contacted Whitley about some content and guest sharing.
4. However established Dreamland or Unknown Country was in past history, it isn't anymore. It's so old and niche that it's a blip on the screen.

Art is far better off doing his own thing.

Quote from: Wintermute on May 26, 2015, 02:59:29 PM
Unknown Country looks active to me, and the last Dreamland podcast was 6 days ago. He had a blog post about 5 days ago. So I am not sure what you mean by Whitley not doing anything. Dreamland is squarely in the UFO / strange beings topic. It's by design since that is Whitley's marketing theme for his previous books and what-not. And Dreamland does not broadcast live.

I can't speak for Art Bell, but I will bet:
1. He would like to do other stuff than UFOs and Linda Moulton Howe pseudo-news interviews.
2. Whitley, by now, probably owns the entirety of the trademark and media property.
3. Bell has already contacted Whitley about some content and guest sharing.
4. However established Dreamland or Unknown Country was in past history, it isn't anymore. It's so old and niche that it's a blip on the screen.

Art is far better off doing his own thing.

This.

The General

Quote from: henge0stone on May 26, 2015, 02:03:58 PM
Instead of coming up with a whole new show name, why not take dreamland back> Its not like Whitely is really doing anything with it.

Or why not take Coast to Coast back?
Its not like George is really doing anything with it.
But why go backwards when you can move forward?

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 26, 2015, 03:19:14 PM
This.
Yes.  Art can correct me, but I believe he gave Dreamland to Whitley for nothing.  Art is not an indian-giver, with due respect to Geronimo, Cochise, Tecumseh, Blue Jacket, et al.

albrecht

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 26, 2015, 03:19:14 PM
This.
This. (seconced.) Whitley does what he does and sometimes it is interesting but it is waaaay better for Art to move forward and MITD is a great name.

HumanBeing

Kind of old news, but new to me, Whitley has got a tv show based on his book Alien Hunter coming out in 2016 on SyFy called Hunters.

"Hunters is based on Whitley Strieber's best selling novel, Alien Hunters. It tells the tale of the disappearance of the wife of decorated Philadelphia cop - the resulting search of which leads to a secret government unit dedicated to hunting terrorists. The terrorists, however, might not be of this world.

Hunters comes from Executive Producers Gale Anne Hurd (The Walking Dead, The Terminator trilogy) and Natalie Chaidez (12 Monkeys, Heroes). Natalie will also write.

Nathan Phillips (The Bridge, The Chernobyl Diaries) stars as Detective Flynn Carroll, a cop suffering from PTSD whose life goes from bad to worse when his wife goes missing. Said wife is played by Britne Olford (Skins, American Horror Story: Asylum, Pretty Little Liars, The Flash). Julian McMahon (Nip/Tuck, Childhood's End) will recur as McCarthy, who is unhinged, dangerous and wrapped up in the world of the mysterious aliens known as "Hunters.""

www.syfy.com/hunters
http://deadline.com/2014/09/hunter-series-gale-anne-hurd-syfy-alien-hunter-839766/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1802774/
https://pro-labs.imdb.com/title/tt1802774

Quote from: HumanBeing on August 01, 2015, 12:17:46 AM
Kind of old news, but new to me, Whitley has got a tv show based on his book Alien Hunter coming out in 2016 on SyFy called Hunters.

"Hunters is based on Whitley Strieber's best selling novel, Alien Hunters. It tells the tale of the disappearance of the wife of decorated Philadelphia cop - the resulting search of which leads to a secret government unit dedicated to hunting terrorists. The terrorists, however, might not be of this world.

Hunters comes from Executive Producers Gale Anne Hurd (The Walking Dead, The Terminator trilogy) and Natalie Chaidez (12 Monkeys, Heroes). Natalie will also write.

Nathan Phillips (The Bridge, The Chernobyl Diaries) stars as Detective Flynn Carroll, a cop suffering from PTSD whose life goes from bad to worse when his wife goes missing. Said wife is played by Britne Olford (Skins, American Horror Story: Asylum, Pretty Little Liars, The Flash). Julian McMahon (Nip/Tuck, Childhood's End) will recur as McCarthy, who is unhinged, dangerous and wrapped up in the world of the mysterious aliens known as "Hunters.""

www.syfy.com/hunters
http://deadline.com/2014/09/hunter-series-gale-anne-hurd-syfy-alien-hunter-839766/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1802774/
https://pro-labs.imdb.com/title/tt1802774

Oh brother.  At least it's on the Science Fiction channel.

George must be green with envy, and wondering why his ghost writers couldn't come up with something like this

HumanBeing

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 01, 2015, 12:47:16 AM
Oh brother.  At least it's on the Science Fiction channel.

George must be green with envy, and wondering why his ghost writers couldn't come up with something like this

I doubt Noory can spell his first name correctly all the time  ;D
haha Yeah science fiction, indeed, but I guess Whitley still has some connections in Hollywood and a backlog of material to go off.

I'm interested to see how it goes. It seems to have some competent people producing it and ~30 million budget for the first season.

BobGrau

Whitley is sort of like Art's falkie.

Jackstar

Quote from: Juan on November 02, 2014, 10:54:53 AM
It is the opinion of many here that Jackstar is an ass.  He was banned twice.  I'm surprised he's back. Don't take him personally.

At first, I was all, "What was wrong with the other thread, what's with this one?" Now, I'm just nonplussed.

I like Whitley's version of Dreamland reasonably well.

Oh do go on.

HumanBeing

Well I didn't know Dreamland also aired on Dark Matter Digital Network, cool.

DanTSX

Take it back for what?  We already have a fitting name for Art's show.   Weeber has had his show all to himself for a decade with its own audience of zetatalk refugees.

DanTSX

Quote from: BobGrau on August 01, 2015, 02:51:11 AM
Whitley is sort of like Art's falkie.

They look a lot alike.

I'm starting to wonder if falkie is just weeber's alter ego.

It's plausible that he slums it up in some shitty Pittsburgh pied â tierre for a few weeks every month while eating copious amounts of shitty delivery pizza, doughnuts, and someone else's psychiactric medication because the aliens are scared of Pittsburgh traffic and box fans, so he can give his poor, bored-out rectal core a break and concentrate on some creative writing experiments.   

It is here that he actually ghost-wrote the mutt with the propeller butt for Ian Punnit after having a box fan fall on his head while walking around the 700sqft apartment in nothing but bunny slippers and a medical exam gown while looking for pretzel sticks and having a box fan FAL on his head.

henge0stone

Quote from: Sundowner on November 02, 2014, 09:04:06 AM
Yea, I know. Art Bell did it better.

Anyways, I find myself really enjoying Whitley Strieber hosting Dreamland. I think this is much better than the current Coast to Coast AM.  Like almost anything on these programs, you have to suspend your disbelief and I think once you do that Whitley is more tolerable. This forum has an extreme hatred towards George Noory for ruining Coast, but what about the current state of Dreamland? I don't see much discussion of what became of Art's other show. Any other listeners? I'm curious of everyone's opinions.

Ciao!

I can't believe Whitley is still doing it! I can't listen to Whitley interviewing people in the paranormal field. He's just too into the whole field to be a proper host.

In a way I feel like he would/could relate everything to his experiences and easily derail every topic, and if he doesn't relate his strange stories than I start to wonder if he was just selling BS the whole time. So basically he's damned if he does talk about his experiences too much and damned if he doesn't (my opinion). Someone with that many claimed experiences simply can not look at these things without a bias. Even the most crazy guest could say 'well you had stranger things happen to you!' throwing that back in his face if he tries to disagree with them. So overall the show basically has to be bias towards every strange thing anyone claims.

He's an interesting guest but his personal experiences get in the way for me.

Jackstar

Quote from: henge0stone on August 10, 2015, 07:33:05 PM
his personal experiences get in the way for me.

I suppose that is true for him as well.

Skunk Ape

Just read on Twitter that Anne passed away :(

EvB

I can't believe Whitley is still doing it! I can't listen to Whitley interviewing people in the paranormal field. He's just too into the whole field to be a proper host.

Whitley actually knows this.  He often has other people host his show 'because the listeners say I talk too much."  Not EXACTLY your reasons but I think this is one of the symptoms.

EvB

Quote from: Skunk Ape on August 12, 2015, 10:24:05 AM
Just read on Twitter that Anne passed away :(

Yes - she had been quite ill a number of years ago - but was not so lucky this time. :'(

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sanantonio/obituary.aspx?pid=175513330

BellBoy

...but his personal experiences get in the way for me.

That just about sums up everything concerning Whitley, for me. Back in the day, I really enjoyed his fiction, until the whole "thing" consumed his entire being. After that, his writing went completely to shit and... well I just feel really bad for him now  :(

Just Me

Ya know, I like Whitley; but the aliens rewired his brain and now he stumbles and stutters when excited over deep subjects he speaks about.

Juan

So (ha) if we are to believe the latest Dreamland, beat author William S. Burroughs spent a lot of time at Whitley’s cabin waiting to be abducted and ass raped by space aliens.

While waiting Burroughs allegedly smoked some grass. Really? Burroughs and grass? Heroin or crank or bennies maybe, but grass?

ItsOver

Quote from: Juan on April 11, 2018, 02:59:15 PM
So (ha) if we are to believe the latest Dreamland, beat author William S. Burroughs spent a lot of time at Whitley’s cabin waiting to be abducted and ass raped by space aliens.

While waiting Burroughs allegedly smoked some grass. Really? Burroughs and grass? Heroin or crank or bennies maybe, but grass?
Did he give "the good stuff" to Whitley? ;)

Gd5150

He should’ve had movie night and watched Communion, Fire in the Sky, and ET.