• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Better Call Saul

Started by jazmunda, January 12, 2014, 03:06:52 PM

SredniVashtar

I'm still not sure where all of this is going to go, but it has to take a sharp turn for the worse before long. Saul was totally amoral under all of the clowning, but Jimmy is just a but shady and has an idea of right and wrong. So, my guess is someone close to him has to get 'offed' and he takes up with organised crime to try and even the score. My guess is that girl/friend of his catches a bullet or something, probably connected with the Tuco crew. Either that or the brother has something happen to him. Either way, something has to change by the end of the season to jolt him towards the dark side.

Looks like we're going to learn a lot about Mike's history next week.  That should be good!

the_peeve

Love the weirdness of the legal system this show exhibits. That is great!

I am in no rush to see Jimmy turn into Saul. I am enjoying the character study.

I do think they needed to explain why Mike was a parking attendant. I suspect his daughter actually contacted the feds on him. Isn't that terrible?

jazmunda

I'm really liking this show. I don't mind the slow pace. I'm in no hurry to get to s'all good man.

I thought his luck was going to turn with the million bucks. I cracked up when the guy had minted his own money. The humor is great. Anyone know where I can get one of those toilet speakers?

skidder

I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  Saul was always the comic relief in BB and it seems like this show reverses the balance with a lot of comedy and not to much gangster stuff.  I loved BB and I reckon this will be a corker.

basswood

This last episode... Holy crap. Felt like I just watched a two hour movie. Jonathon Banks (Mike) is something else. Plus he still looks younger than Brian Setzer.

SaucyRossy

Haven't watched the newest episode yet (bought the iTunes season pass because the first episode was that good) but just wanted to say, I think it's possible I love this show more than breaking bad.

lonevoice

Quote from: basswood on March 10, 2015, 01:00:17 PM
This last episode... Holy crap. Felt like I just watched a two hour movie. Jonathon Banks (Mike) is something else. Plus he still looks younger than Brian Setzer.
It was so good.  Forbes magazine wrote an outstanding review of it, calling it "TV's Best Hour Since 'Breaking Bad's' Ozymandias."  The writer said that Jonathon Banks should get an Emmy for his work in this episode. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2015/03/10/better-call-saul-episode-106-is-tvs-best-hour-since-breaking-bads-ozymandias-really/

Kelt

'S'all Good, man.

He actually had to spell it out before I got that... I must be one of those 'tardhats  you hear about on the internets.

This is a great show, though... Bob Odenkirk is King Shit of Fuck Mountain. [Bob Odenkirk: The Mr Show]

basswood

Quote from: lonevoice on March 10, 2015, 02:53:01 PM
It was so good.  Forbes magazine wrote an outstanding review of it, calling it "TV's Best Hour Since 'Breaking Bad's' Ozymandias."  The writer said that Jonathon Banks should get an Emmy for his work in this episode. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2015/03/10/better-call-saul-episode-106-is-tvs-best-hour-since-breaking-bads-ozymandias-really/

Thanks, good to hear he's been noticed. He's completely MADE the show for me.

basswood

Quote from: SaucyRossy on March 10, 2015, 01:04:37 PM
Haven't watched the newest episode yet (bought the iTunes season pass because the first episode was that good) but just wanted to say, I think it's possible I love this show more than breaking bad.

I'm not sure I'd be able to surpass the appreciation I have for Breaking Bad but I'm inclined to agree that I love it at least as much. It has the advantage of already having a complete mythology developed that we already know was near-perfect.

jazmunda

Quote from: lonevoice on March 10, 2015, 02:53:01 PM

Quote from: basswood on March 10, 2015, 03:16:58 PM
Thanks, good to hear he's been noticed. He's completely MADE the show for me.

I think he's deserved award consideration since I first noticed him in Beverly Hills Cop.

basswood

Quote from: jazmunda on March 10, 2015, 06:15:16 PM
I think he's deserved award consideration since I first noticed him in Beverly Hills Cop.

Forgot about that one.

Also, Airplane. He's the guy checking the microwave.

http://youtu.be/uEywGpIt0vw

SaucyRossy

After that episode about mike and his son.....yup. I like this show better than breaking bad.

And here's why. Every once and awhile the writers can spin off and tell a tale like they did in that episode because of all the different people Jimmy/Saul will be interacting with. Wow, what an amazing episode. That was better than most movies in the past few years.

I really like better call Saul, so far it has been very interesting and I believe that it actually be watched on its own! like if you hadn't watch breaking bad you would still enjoy it

SredniVashtar

Quote from: wendysemployee on March 11, 2015, 06:42:10 AM
I really like better call Saul, so far it has been very interesting and I believe that it actually be watched on its own! like if you hadn't watch breaking bad you would still enjoy it

I agree. I thought at the start of the show that they would have to make it dark fairly soon, but I suppose there is no reason for doing that, and it's not as if they have to wrap everything up within a set time. I wonder if the writers, if they had the chance, might have gone back and made Saul less of an amoral bastard so that he isn't such a contrast with Jimmy. I haven't seen the last episode, but anything with Mike in it is fine with me. I always enjoy seeing him do that thing with his upper lip when he gets annoyed.

bateman

Ok, that last episode was amazing. Easily as good as the best of Breaking Bad.

jazmunda

Quote from: bateman on March 11, 2015, 05:11:49 PM
Ok, that last episode was amazing. Easily as good as the best of Breaking Bad.

I concur. I love Mike. I would watch a prequel series just about him as a crooked cop.

bateman

Quote from: jazmunda on March 11, 2015, 05:13:13 PM
I concur. I love Mike. I would watch a prequel series just about him as a crooked cop.

There are feature-length movies that don't approach that quality.

SPOILER ALERT, DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LAST EPISODE YET:

There was a moment when he's in the back of the car, and it hit me, WHAT IF HE ISN'T DRUNK. And then he pulls the second gun, and I'm like OH SHIT, IT'S ABOUT TO GET REAL.

The breathless cliffhangers of Breaking Bad were easily matched by this last episode.

when I would do Is offered to buy the house from whoever actually lives there now and then set up a little business where I could charge fans of Breaking Bad just to throw pizza up on the roof then they could take a photo with it for $19.99

jazmunda

Quote from: bateman on March 11, 2015, 05:19:18 PM
SPOILER ALERT, DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LAST EPISODE YET:

There was a moment when he's in the back of the car, and it hit me, WHAT IF HE ISN'T DRUNK. And then he pulls the second gun, and I'm like OH SHIT, IT'S ABOUT TO GET REAL.

SPOILER ALERT:

Mike is Jesse's real father - that'll teach you to read spoilers when you haven't seen the episode.

I was convinced he wasn't drunk particularly because we saw him break into the cop car beforehand. I expect every tv show worth it's purity in meth to subscribe to the Chekov's Gun Theory

SaucyRossy

Quote from: bateman on March 11, 2015, 05:19:18 PM
There are feature-length movies that don't approach that quality.

Quoted for truth.

basswood

Neither Saul Goodman nor James McGill comes close to the real thing of Austin criminal defense attorney Adam Reposa. Yes, he's real, the State Bar hates him but he's pretty successful. He makes the news every few years here, most recently for putting "whites only" segregation stickers with the city's official seal on them on the front windows of businesses where gentrification has forced out old communities. Austin is no longer the small town it was just ten years ago but it is still undeniably weird. There's a bunch of YouTube clips with him but have a laugh:

http://youtu.be/tBLTW-KLdHA

basswood

Saul Goodman doesn't have a giant eagle tat on his hairy chest either.

http://youtu.be/ZGzSBslnIQQ

SaucyRossy

The most recent episode has really set up where the show is going and how the story is going to be told. Love the beginnings of Mike and Jimmy's business relationship. They also wrapped up most of his story from the previous episode pretty well with leaving something's open for future episodes.

jazmunda

Ha ha ha. Blow my magic flute.