Ha ha ha ha ha ha    Not Toll Free!   Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha     ;D

onan

Quote from: jazmunda on January 12, 2014, 03:06:52 PM
http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

You're welcome.

Coming November 2014.

QuoteRule #1 Keep your mouth shut.

Rule #2 Keep your mouth shut.

Rule #3 Don't make eye contact with anyone in the holding cell.

the phone call is worth the price.

basswood

Anybody watch this yet? Saw the first two episodes today and was mildly disappointed. A bit dull and aimless.

SnapT

I haven't seen BREAKING BAD yet but I like BETTER CALL SAUL a lot so far.

basswood

Quote from: SnapT on February 10, 2015, 08:41:59 PM

Perhaps I'm spoiled from the perfection of Breaking Bad (having watched it through twice) and have some unrealistic expectations. You didn't find an overload of character set-up for Saul?

jazmunda

I enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting breaking bad. I like Bob Odenkirk so he could probably just stand on his head whilst whistling dixie and I'd watch.

Edit: That last bit was intended as a joke but I'd probably watch that too.

basswood

Quote from: jazmunda on February 10, 2015, 09:41:53 PM
I enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting breaking bad. I like Bob Odenkirk so he could probably just stand on his head whilst whistling dixie and I'd watch.

Well, I'm glad at least they didn't go the slapstick or silly route, which the potential was there for. By the way, you are reported for mentioning dixie.

jazmunda

Quote from: basswood on February 10, 2015, 09:45:38 PM
Well, I'm glad at least they didn't go the slapstick or silly route, which the potential was there for. By the way, you are reported for mentioning dixie.

I thought the second episode just kinda ended with a meh.

Most episodes of Breaking Bad ended with a WTF and made you want to immediately watch the next episode.

This show needs more of that. There were some tense moments during the show. It also had it's "gore" moments with the breaking of the legs. There was enough silly moments that you would expect from an Odenkirk show. It did enough to keep me interested.

SnapT

Quote from: basswood on February 10, 2015, 09:28:17 PM
Perhaps I'm spoiled from the perfection of Breaking Bad (having watched it through twice) and have some unrealistic expectations. You didn't find an overload of character set-up for Saul?

No, I strangely like the slow pacing in this case.  But I'm another one of those who would watch anything with Bob Odenkirk in it.  (I just haven't gotten around to BREAKING BAD yet, and with SAUL apparently being a prequel to BAD it seemed like a good jumping-on point.)

I much prefer Odenkirk's pure comedy shows like MR. SHOW WITH BOB AND DAVID and TIM & ERIC AWESOME SHOW GREAT JOB!, or the weirder sketches he wrote for SNL, but I find SAUL to be entertaining so far.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: SnapT on February 10, 2015, 08:41:59 PM

i think you should plow through all of breaking bad and then watch bcs.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on February 10, 2015, 09:41:53 PM

yeah, i've always loved odenkirk.  agreed.

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on February 10, 2015, 11:32:55 PM

Agreed. There will be easter eggs littered throughout Better Call Saul like Mike and Tuco that will be lost on you (SnapT).

SnapT

Quote from: jazmunda on February 10, 2015, 11:37:05 PM
Agreed. There will be easter eggs littered throughout Better Call Saul like Mike and Tuco that will be lost on you (SnapT).

But if I watch BREAKING BAD after BETTER CALL SAUL completes its run, wouldn't those characters just retroactively become BETTER CALL SAUL easter eggs to me?  Same difference!

I hate watching something where I know what's going to happen to the characters afterwards.  That's part of what made the STAR WARS prequels so boring.  Those movies are probably better watched in this sort of order, too.  Because they just get better and better.

pate

Huh, Bob was on Tim & Eric?

I hated that show, never will watch it.  It was too gay (how is that possible? I dunno)

I did like their Tom Goes To the Mayor or whichever though...

MR.  SHOW I've always been told is good, although have never had a chance to watch it (is it on Netflix, Hulu (free version) or Crackle?)

pate

Quote from: MV on February 10, 2015, 11:32:55 PM

Completely disagree with this for some reason.  Especially if you haven't seen it...  I suppose this is a sort of CS Lewis Chronicles of Narnia debate though, do you read them in published order (my stance on that particular issue) or chronological order (many other's stance on the issue... but then when do you read "A Horse and His Boy" which takes place during "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe?")  mindbending debate, and no-one could be correct here as it is all opinion....

SnapT

Quote from: pate on February 11, 2015, 02:27:48 AM
Huh, Bob was on Tim & Eric?
Yeah, and he was responsible for their success...

In 2002, the duo launched TimandEric.com to showcase their expanding catalog of zany and subversive videos, punctuated with their trademark scatological and offbeat humor. They took a chance and mailed a DVD of material to actor-producer-writer Bob Odenkirk, who became a fan of Wareheim and Heidecker’s work, and that opened up doors.

“They sent me an envelope with a DVD, and usually I throw those things away, but this envelope also had an itemized bill in it,” says Odenkirk. “There was a charge for postage, a charge for packaging, for shipping â€" everything. And it made me laugh. It was totally real and it made me want to watch the DVD, which had about five different short films on it, and while all of them were very different in terms of style â€" there were music videos and one was a cartoon â€" there was a shared sensibility, this mix of silliness and absurdity and smartness and some aspects of parody. There was a Monty Python-esque sensibility to it. You could tell that these guys had a shared voice, and that’s a very hard thing to develop.”

Odenkirk put Wareheim and Heidecker in touch with executives at Adult Swim, who were on the hunt for fresh talent. Soon after, the duo inked a development deal with the net and in 2004 “Tom Goes to the Mayor,” an animated series in which they both starred and wrote, debuted.
http://youtu.be/QwxqfEMiO0g
I preferred TOM GOES TO THE MAYOR at first, but now I love all things Tim and Eric (especially ON CINEMA AT THE CINEMA, a movie review show Tim does with Gregg Turkington).

QuoteMR.  SHOW I've always been told is good, although have never had a chance to watch it (is it on Netflix, Hulu (free version) or Crackle?)
Not sure.

pate

Thanks SnapT, funny videos!

Not to politicize this but since I know it's wrong I'm going to go ahead and do it anyhow:

I loved the Blow Up The Moon bit!  Man, them commies are good at making fun of the president when there's an "R" in office...

Now to get to the moon, we'd have to hitch a ride with the Russians or the Chinese or sumthin,'

I thought the CS Lewis, Jr country singer was hilarious too.  Good stuff!

Seriously, good stuff.

pate

The Streaker bit, reminded me of them old days (I was a toddler at best), but I do seem to recall a "Kissing Bandit" at the Royals game jumping the field and kissing George Brett (another legendary asshole named George, but alternatively the guy was an excellent baseball player, so not a coincidence)... blah...blah... to the point:

Was the Kissing Bandit a local (Kansas City) thing back then or was that a schtick the crazy lady(ladies?) pulled nationwide?

I suppose I could Google it, but I'm too lazy...

Juan

I'm looking forward to great things from Tuco and Nacho. And maybe Abuelita runs the empire.

cweb

Quote from: jazmunda on February 10, 2015, 09:58:20 PM
I thought the second episode just kinda ended with a meh.

Most episodes of Breaking Bad ended with a WTF and made you want to immediately watch the next episode.

This show needs more of that. There were some tense moments during the show. It also had it's "gore" moments with the breaking of the legs. There was enough silly moments that you would expect from an Odenkirk show. It did enough to keep me interested.
Agreed! I did enjoy the slow pacing of the first episode, partially because it was shot and edited so well. The second ep was less about creating a feeling and more about making stuff happen. Unfortunately, the faster pace led to that ending.

I'll keep watching. It's still a pretty good show.

SnapT

Quote from: pate on February 11, 2015, 03:23:45 AM
Thanks SnapT, funny videos!

Not to politicize this but since I know it's wrong I'm going to go ahead and do it anyhow:

I loved the Blow Up The Moon bit!  Man, them commies are good at making fun of the president when there's an "R" in office...
MR. SHOW actually was in production during the Clinton administration, 1995-98.  It really wasn't a political or topical show, it existed in a surreal alternate universe.  I can't remember it ever commenting directly on current events. 

Here's probably the closest they got to topical comedy (except they're mocking it), from the great episode where the show is taken over by a crowd-pleasing hack comic named Kedsie (played by the great Tom Kenny, who would go on to be the voice of Spongebob Squarepants)...
http://youtu.be/rCeKeSPfHX4
http://youtu.be/gbU4VRs2rro

Quote from: pate on February 11, 2015, 03:30:10 AM
The Streaker bit, reminded me of them old days (I was a toddler at best), but I do seem to recall a "Kissing Bandit" at the Royals game jumping the field and kissing George Brett (another legendary asshole named George, but alternatively the guy was an excellent baseball player, so not a coincidence)... blah...blah... to the point:

Was the Kissing Bandit a local (Kansas City) thing back then or was that a schtick the crazy lady(ladies?) pulled nationwide?

I suppose I could Google it, but I'm too lazy...

She was a stripper named Morganna, and she became famous for running out on the field during baseball games in different cities to kiss a player as a way to promote herself.  It worked out pretty well, because it made her a household name for a few years. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morganna

SnapT

If I remember correctly, this was the wonderful final sketch in that episode...
http://youtu.be/GsTZ0eFJMLY
And another classic...
http://youtu.be/HrlS9_n8GX4

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: pate on February 11, 2015, 02:30:23 AM
Completely disagree with this for some reason.  Especially if you haven't seen it...  I suppose this is a sort of CS Lewis Chronicles of Narnia debate though, do you read them in published order (my stance on that particular issue) or chronological order (many other's stance on the issue... but then when do you read "A Horse and His Boy" which takes place during "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe?")  mindbending debate, and no-one could be correct here as it is all opinion....

i just think one should try to watch it in the way the artist intended, is all. 

Kelt

Quote from: SnapT on February 11, 2015, 12:40:59 PM
If I remember correctly, this was the wonderful final sketch in that episode...
http://youtu.be/GsTZ0eFJMLY
And another classic...
http://youtu.be/HrlS9_n8GX4

Pre-Taped Call-In Show is an American classic of sketch comedy.

Operation Hell on Earth, where a White Supremacist group, whose members are gay, black, Indian, and Jewish, plans to detonate 300lbs of plastic explosives is another great sketch

Skip to 6:17 for that, viewers.

http://youtu.be/TRrlde13rbU

BobGrau

Notice how in the opening scenes Saul is made up to resemble Vince Gilligan?

Zoo

I liked it. I think like most things you have to go in blind and that way you will have the best chance to see something for what it is. A different show!!1